Not Dreaming

Catch Me If You Can

 

“TAENGOO!!”

 

She was panting. Her chest was rising and falling in an unevenly manner and a bead of sweat rolled down her forehead.

 

That incident is surely frightening—

 

Wait.

 

She needs to see Taeyeon!

 

Gasp!

 

Taeyeon was attacked! S-she needed to get to h-her before—

 

Hold on.

 

Jessica quietly scans the current place she is in, like she was in Mars, afraid that any wrong move would attract the attention of the Martians.

 

She squinted her eyes and raised a brow in confusion.

 

Bunch of computer monitors.

 

Sets of keyboards.

 

Her queen-sized bed??

 

She is in her…room??

 

Mouth slightly ajar, the petite woman slowly turned her head back to the front where the screens are hanged.

 

She eventually searched for the monitor where she had been staring at before she dozed off and let out a relieved sigh when she saw the very woman who she thought was brutally stabbed in a lonely street meters away from her workplace.

 

The midget was still absorbedly working something on the computer. Her hair was tied in a messy bun and was wearing a pair of glasses that perfectly suits her chicken eyes.

 

Exactly the same as what she looked and was doing in the Jung’s dream.

 

Jessica her lips and leaned her elbows on the table. She gently slapped her head with both hands and started rubbing her temples with a hint of annoyance.

 

. It was all a dream.

 

A very crappy dream.

 

Now that she thought about it, she can remember herself tearing up aft seeing the cop being cut.

 

She reached for eyes and cheeks and there, she could feel a trace of tears that fell unconsciously during her nap.

 

And this is not a good sign.

 

Jessica Jung never cries.

 

Huffing in slight irritation at the unexpected rush of worry and anxiety, the Jung cutely ruffled her hair with a slight hiss, still refusing to accept that Taeyeon eventually had this effect on her.

 

The dream felt so surreal, though.

 

“Hey, you okay?”

 

That voice. That is Yoona’s voice.

 

“Yeah. I’m good.”

 

The doe-eyed girl leaned herself against the door frame and stared at the unusually tired Jung.

 

“A bad dream?”

 

Looking up, Jessica ran her hands through her hair and sighed. “A very bad one.”

 

A small pout and a calm nod came from the Im

 

“You want to talk about it?” she suggested.

 

Jessica’s lips formed into a small smile and shook her head. Her dongsaeng is being… a dongsaeng today.

 

And that’s very unlikely for the tight-lipped yet reckless Yoona.

 

“Nah. I’m fine. Don’t worry about it..” she paused and inspected the younger from head to toe.

 

“Besides, I can see you’re dressed.”

 

Well, not really. Yoona was clad in her usual black sweaters and denim shorts and was wearing her favorite black cap in reverse. This is her dongsaeng’s definition of being dressed up, anyway.

 

“Leaving?”

 

The Im looked down on her clothes and nodded before looking back at the questioning Jung.

 

“Yeah. Police station.”

 

Jessica bobbed her head and pondered.

 

“I thought she told you not to go and visit her?”

 

But Yoona could only shrug. “She always say that whenever I leave. When did I ever listen, anyway?”

 

That cracked Jessica a little and she chuckled at the response.

 

She saw that her dongsaeng’s lips was also formed into a small smile. Her eyes eventually traveled to the doe-eyed girl’s hair and now that she thinks about it, she almost missed the sudden alteration.

 

Smiling, Jessica spoke. “I see that you took her advice heartily.”

 

Knowing what her partner was talking about, Yoona reached for the hem of her now black hair and smiled.

 

“Technically, it wasn’t an advice. She just told me that she’s not into blondes. She said it’s so not an Asian thing.”

 

Jessica has to snicker for that, “What, and being a brunette is not a Western thing? Pfft.”

 

“I didn’t say anything.” Yoona coolly shrug. Shrugging is her hobby.

 

Rolling her eyes with a smile, Jessica attempted to tease. “Well I’m into blondes, babe. If you ever dye your hair back to gold, you know where you can find me.”

 

Here we go again. Jessica’s playfulness and antics. When would this petite woman stop being a player?

 

Poor Taeyeon.                                                                                                                                    

 

Yoona rolled her eyes on the statement—but not that dramatic as the Jung’s

 

“Tell that to the short cop.”

 

Hearing this, memories of her dream flashed through the mind of Jessica and instinctively, her face dropped a notch lower and Yoona was sure she saw a hint of worry on that face.

 

Jessica turned her head back to the monitor and started staring at it once again. She saw that Taeyeon was now in a conversation with Yuri.

 

“I dreamed about her. She was badly cut by a man and I..” Jessica blinked. “I saw it right through the screens. I couldn’t do anything to help her.”

 

There was silence that engulfed them. At one point, Jessica thought Yoona was gone already, thinking that her story was too boring for Yoona to listen.

 

But when she felt a gentle pat on her shoulder, she knew she was wrong.

 

Yoona will never leave her.

 

“It was all but a dream, Sica. Nothing bad is going to happen.” Yoona looked up at the screen. “I won’t let it happen.”

 

Both of the hired killers gawked at the same computer monitor for a while, equally staring at their respective persons who was still so engrossed with their conversation.

 

“I bet they’re talking about us.” Jessica started.

 

She muted the speakers for her not hear their conversation. The Jung still believed in privacy at some points, that’s why.

 

On the other hand, Yoona stayed quiet. She just kept staring at the monitors—at a specific tanned cop that is. There were a lot of things going on in her mind but she decided to keep mum.

 

Saying it out loud would not change the way things were anyway.

 

“Do you think it is really a good idea?”

 

That question broke the trance the Im was in, “What is?”

 

“You know, us getting close to them. You going to the police station everyday. It’s like throwing ourselves to the den of lions. They are looking for us Yoong. They’re cops.”

 

“You don’t want me to?”

 

“Well..” Jessica paused and contemplated for a moment. “..I just don’t get why you took them as our new assignment.”

 

Jessica eventually looked up to her partner behind her. She wanted an answer.

 

But don’t get her wrong. She liked this.

 

Especially that this involves stalking and watching her playmate.

 

“I don’t know Sica.” Yoona finally answered.

 

And she was telling the truth.

 

She herself doesn’t even know why she chose to do this, let alone go to see the very cop who was hunting for them.

 

“What I only know is that..” she turned to the older girl, “..I want to be near Yuri if Kim tries to do anything nasty.”

 

 

 

***

 

 

“And that’s going to be harder than we thought.” Taeyeon sighed. She turned her body to get back to her desk but before she can do so, a disturbing grumble echoed inside the room.

 

GRRRRRRR..

 

That was Kim Taeyeon’s hungry stomach.

 

This is one of those sleepless and starving nights of Kwon Yuri and Kim Taeyeon. Being the high caliber cops that they are, those necessities of life could be forgotten for hours if they fully commit themselves in some cases. And for this point, it’s this case that makes them awfully tired these days.

 

“Ehehehe..” the starving Kim smiled sheepishly. “I think my stomach also understood the difficulty of the case we’re handling. She easily gets hungry lately.”

 

Lame excuse.

 

But this somehow brought a smile in Yuri’s lips, who by the way had been too serious for awhile now.

 

Well, Taeyeon truly understands though.

 

This is so like her bestfriend.

 

“Let’s take a break Taeng. Besides..” Yuri looked up at the clock hanging on the wall, “It’s past 10 already, way beyond dinner time.”

 

Taeyeon smiled at the proposition. “Alright. I’m gonna buy us some food then.”

 

She hurriedly grabbed her coat resting on a chair and briskly walked towards the door.

 

“What do you want Yul?”

 

Looking away from the board, the tanned cop spoke, “Just coffee, Taeng. I don’t feel like eating.”

 

“Alright. Be right back.” With that, gone was the kitten to find food, leaving the Kwon alone.

 

Or so she thought.

 

Yuri was too absorbed in concentrating at the board that it surprised her when she felt a vibration on her pocket.

 

It was her phone.

 

From Annoying Clumsy: I’m going to see you tonight. Are you in the station?

 

Reading the text message from this person, Yuri’s composed demeanor immediately turned annoyed. Her lips started twitching in irritation and she started talking to herself in silent.

 

“When would this girl ever stop bothering me?” she hissed.

 

Yeah. She is starting to think that she is cursed. The cursed Kwon.

 

All she ever wanted was to have a peaceful, noiseless life. But it seemed like in her state, she would never achieve that dream.

 

Not when an Im Yoona is surely existing in this world.

 

From Puppy Cop: Get lost.

 

Yoona had to giggle for both the arrogance of the text message and the sight of the cop huffing in irritation. The Im was meters away from the police officer, happily watching her from a smartphone inside her car parked somewhere near the station.

 

Thanks to Jessica, she got this little fella to help her watch over Yuri through the screens as well, just like the former to Taeyeon.

 

And, she did not forget dropping by a midnight fastfood chain to get the cop something edible.

 

For the past days of visiting (pestering) the Kwon, Yoona learned that the first was not fond of eating her dinner. She would rather drown herself on coffee and other caffeinated liquid to fill her stomach instead of appetizing cuisines.

 

Yoona thinks it’s unhealthy for a person whose job requires physical strength to move around.

 

So tonight, she will be bringing the cop something to chew in—even though she is more than sure that Yuri would not like the idea of her meddling with her own business.

 

Well technically, Yuri is Yoona’s business.

 

But you know what I mean.

 

Out of the blue, in Yoona’s peripheral view, a man clad in a black hood silently slithered himself towards the police station. He was coolly tilting his head every once in a while, carefully studying his location for any passer-by or stranger watching him.

 

Unknown to the unknown person, an enraging pair of doe eyes are silently piercing through his detected figure—the owner of the eyes soundlessly walking out of her car to get into him.

 

Yoona took a last look on her smartphone and spotted Yuri walking out of a room, probably setting off to her office now.

 

The doe-eyed girl needs to get this over with quickly.

 

 

 

***

 

 

“Thank you for coming! Enjoy your meal!” the waiter who opened the door for Taeyeon announced, happily beaming at the cop who just bought a bunch of take-outs from their restaurant.

 

The midget politely bowed her head and satisfyingly walked away with paper bags full of mouth-watery junks. This is her definition of dinner.

 

With that, she ambled.

 

At first, she was beaming at the idea of her finally wolfing down her first official meal for the day. She only had coffee this morning and lunch was long forgotten after entangling herself on a mind-blowing paperworks throughout the day. This clump of food she was hugging will actually determine her survival.

 

But after minutes of strolling down the street, Taeyeon’s excitement dwindled down.

 

Was it because the police station was still twenty minutes away?

 

No.

 

Was it because the food she bought cooled off already?

 

No.

 

Was it because she dumbly forgot to drive her car and now she is tiredly dragging herself back her workplace?

 

W-well…

 

Was it because she did not even received any single text from a particular golden-haired Jung?

 

Exactly.

 

It has been days since she and Jessica met and both of them have developed this sense of neediness towards each other.

 

At least, that’s what Taeyeon thought.

 

Every now and then, the two woman would meet up on Taeyeon’s apartment and play fire. Some days when she would have a very hectic schedule, the cop would sneak out on Yuri just to satisfy her libido and do it in the nearby comfort room with the blonde.

 

Taeyeon somehow found something to look forward after meeting Jessica, albeit knowing her styles.

 

She knew the types of the girl—the Jung was an absolute player.

 

The one who never sticks to only one person.

 

She would not be surprised if Jessica suddenly left one day and never comes back. She learned this trick from people throughout the years.

 

But Taeyeon was not expecting it to be today.

 

She was not expecting that the Jung would disappear today.

 

With the way Jessica gripped her hair while screaming for more; the way she struggled to get a grasp onto something so that she can support herself from Taeyeon’s skillful hands; even the way the blonde’s body arched whenever she would reach her peak—everything was perfect for the eyes and ears of Taeyeon.

 

She heard and saw it all the same.

 

And she thought she was pleasing the girl more than enough for the Jung to stay and beg for more.

 

But where is she now?

 

Neither a single message nor a missed call was sent.

 

Did Jessica really moved out from her?

 

HONK HONK!!

 

Taeyeon’s chain of sad thoughts suddenly broke at the loud sound of a car’s horn. She immediately gazed to the side of the road where a glimmering black Audi had parked and squinted her eyes.

 

Wait, is that—

 

“Can I borrow you for a minute?”

 

Jessica.

 

Flabbergasted at the fact that the very person she thought was gone just popped out of nowhere, Taeyeon stood mouth ajar for a moment.

 

Blink.

 

Blink.

 

Blink.

 

Hell yes.

 

This is totally Jessica, charmingly leaning against the steering wheel as she looked up on Taeyeon through the small, open car window.

 

Wait, did she hear it right? Did Jessica just giggled?

 

“Idiot.” The Jung shook her head with a dazzling smile.

 

Taeyeon could only pray for someone up above that she is not dreaming.

 

“Hop in Inspector Kim, before I change my mind.”

 

Yup. She’s not dreaming.

 

Without further ado, the said cop hurriedly scurried towards the four wheels and jumped in, almost throwing the bags of food to the back of the car carelessly, and literally leaping unto the Jung to meet her lips almost instantly.

 

“I’ve never done this in a car..” the cop breathlessly whispered against Jessica’s neck.

 

Biting her lip to suppress a moan, the Jung could only answer back huskily, “Then make this memory remarkable.”

 

Taeyeon would make sure to redefine her meaning of dinner after this.

 

 

 

***

 

 

Yuri could only huff.

 

She literally went out of their investigation room to get into her office and she sees this.

 

An empty room.

 

No scrawny figure seated on her usual place at the couch, nor a sleeping skinny girl lying on the sofa with an open magazine covering her face.

 

None. No one. Nada.

 

Didn’t she just receive a text from that clumsy juvenile saying she will come to see her tonight?

 

The girl playing a trick on her again, isn’t she?

 

Days have passed since the Im started persecuting her peaceful life and Yuri, in as much as she didn’t want to admit it, was starting to become used of the girl’s presence inside her office.

 

On a terrifying morning, Yoona just popped out of nowhere and announced to the Kwon that she will be visiting her from now on.

 

Of course, the initial reaction would be resistance—the usual response when introduced to change.

 

For Yuri’s case, it would be a change in the environment.

 

Used in being alone and quiet, having the Im around would mean disaster and disorder for her.

 

She spent her days unaccompanied and it did not help when she grew up doubting every new person who gets near her.

 

But following resistance would be acceptance—and Yuri, for some indescribable reasons, grew to accept the irritating company of Im Yoona.

 

Now that the girl is nowhere to be found, Yuri was starting to feel more annoyed and anxious at the same time.

 

Jabbing the screen of her smartphone, Yuri started composing a message for the doe-eyed girl. She will make sure that her speech would be very—

 

“Hey..” that voice.

 

Yuri looked up and there, she finally saw the figure she absent-mindedly looked for throughout the day. Yoona did not come on the morning, probably doing something more meaningful than just sitting inside Yuri’s office all day long.

 

And now that she is here, the sudden change on something did not go unnoticed by the Kwon.

 

Blinking twice, she spoke, “You… you dyed your hair.”

 

Yoona cutely nodded. “You hated blondes..”

 

Silently fiddling on her phone to think of proper words to say, Yuri innocently looked away from the girl’s piercing doe-eyes. She hates those pair of orbs.

 

“I didn’t say I hate them.”

 

The Im smiled, perfectly knowing the cop’s way of shaking off her own words. She quietly walked towards the cop and Yuri felt herself stiffing (and she doesn’t even know why)

 

“Here…”

 

Yoona placed the bag of food she brought on the cop’s desk. “I bought you stuff healthier than coffee. You must finish it while it’s still hot.”

 

Yuri was sure a trail of blood crept unto her cheeks as she saw the white paper bags placed on top of her table. Yoona had just brought her food.

 

No one amongst her suitors bothered to bring her food.

 

Not even close from what the girl had done these past days.

 

The patience, endurance and persistence.

 

Yoona had all the three and Yuri intuitively flushed at the idea of the Im being this reckless yet sweet person.

 

The aroma of freshly cooked meat and vegetable suddenly filled the room but the cop fought the urge not to drool at the delicious stench.

 

“I’m not hungry.” But her stomach is.

 

The little punk shamelessly growled at the idea of food and Yuri had to embarrassingly look away even further at the now scoffing juvenile, mortified on her loud belly.

 

Great.

 

“Yeah right. Well..” the Im shrugged and was about to reach for the paper bags, “I’m gonna take these back then since you’re no—“

 

But a firm tanned hand immediately stopped her from going anywhere near the bag of heaven.

 

Yoona smiled even more.

 

“I-I’m gonna wash my hands. Don’t touch them.”

 

With that, the once proud and cold Kwon scrambled away from her office to get to the nearest bathroom where she can wash her hands and hopefully, wash away the humiliating happening with the Im.

 

Just stupid, she thought.

 

Yoona was left smiling to herself. She never really thought she would caught the infamous cop red-handed, let alone with food.

 

Maybe they have something in common after all. Yoona is into food.

 

Turning herself to get to the couch, the doe-eyed girl’s step suddenly came into halt as she felt a piercing pain on upper left chest.

 

She immediately threw her right hand to grip on the said throbbing part and winced as the former made contact with the pained area. Thanks to the chair near her, she was able to hold herself up and not fall on her knees.

 

Yoona sharply breathed in and out as she pressed her hand against the dark sheet of cloth that was covering the said part and eventually flinched at the excruciating twinge.

 

Knowing that Yuri would be back any minute by now, the Im feebly dragged herself to the couch and plopped her body to it.

 

She grimaced at the forceful weight and uncomfortably adjusted herself. Yuri cannot see her in this state.

 

But before the cop could see her, she should see it herself.

 

Yoona pressed a little harder on her upper left chest and felt a puddle of thick liquid gushing down as she winced. If not for her dark clothes, the stream of this liquid would be completely visible.

 

Staring down at the hand she pressed, the doe-eyed girl blinked calmly as she saw fresh rosy-blood covering her palm, a cold bead of sweat rolling down her forehead as she gawked.

 

She was severely bleeding.

 

And she wasn’t dreaming.

 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Okay, I’m 100% certain that this chap is not a dream anymore. I promise.

 

I am one, crazy author. I know :D

 

Tell me whatcha think about it! :) SNSD and YoonYul and TaengSic fighting! ^_^