Three

Catch Me If You Can

 

She was not expecting a visit.

 

No.

 

Not on this late of the night.

 

Especially not from a woman who was puffing a whilst leaned against a Camaro’s hood, looking all despondent and detached from the moving world around her.

 

So much that the woman didn’t notice the presence of people—particularly of hers.

 

“Yoona?”

 

It was a faint call. But it was enough of a distraction to bring the awareness back to the Im’s consciousness.

 

She looks up and saw the very person she came to see.

 

Though Yuri wasn’t alone.

 

She was with her usual acquaintances, now including Kim Taeyeon who just got herself out of the hospital, looking all delicate and sluggish (which reminded Yoona the reason why Jessica was already home too, zoning out and back to her usual player-self).

 

The other two figures with her were Sooyoung and Irene, the new ones.

 

Yoona has to take note that strange glare Sooyoung was throwing at her though. Something about it makes her feel .

 

Spooky.

 

“Hey..” the doe-eyed blurted, squeezing the cigar in for a lungful of that deadly air before puffing it out like a pro smoker—right in front of Kwon Yuri.

 

The other three could only gawk at the two, with Taeyeon a little bit startled that Yoona is a smoker (an important thing she knows that Yuri very much despised);

 

Sooyoung mentally scoffing at how wasted and useless the girl looked like (and how a waste it could be for Yuri to have the girl as her someone special, believing that the tanned cop could be with someone way better, way, way better);

 

Then Irene who quietly gushes over the image of the doe-eyed girl looking all like a badass chick wheezing a tobacco with her collected disposition.

 

Boy, was it y.

 

But not for Yuri.

 

..not when she caught a glimpse of that lifeless eyes she once saw, flickering in Yoona’s eyes yet again.

 

“Put that thing off..” the tanned cop said, more like commanded. She was referring to the cigar stuck between Yoona’s fingers.

 

Noticeable by eye, Yuri spotted a dressing rolled over both the doe-eyed girl’s hands. She quietly twitched at the visible red pigments embedded over the bandage as she silently took a closer look.

 

“I had this lit just now. It would be a waste to just throw this away..”

 

“I don’t give a , Yoona.” Yuri coldly replied

 

“Put. That. Thing. Off.” boring holes through Yoona’s doe ones as she emphasized every word.

 

Talk about swearing.

 

Taeyeon and Sooyoung widen their eyes in surprise, not really used in hearing profanities from the Kwon.

 

She once said that cussing tastes bile in her tongue.

 

Irene, on the other hand, could only watch the scene with amused eyes, fascinated at how the usually prim and composed senior easily lost its cool at the doe-eyed girl’s stubbornness.

 

Seems like the cool Inspector was not as level-headed as she was seen, now was she?

 

Equally surprised but was able to mask her astonishment through her stoic facial expression, Yoona looked up to meet the Kwon’s gaze.

 

She saw how certain Yuri wanted her to throw away her cigarette. The cop’s intense look and the way her lips draw a thin, fine line across her face told Yoona that it’s not the right time to fool around.

 

So she didn’t.

 

Dropping the stick off and trampling the lighted part with the heel of her shoe, the doe-eyed girl calmly slipped her hands inside the pocket of her coat when she looked up to Yuri once again—her cigarette now gone.

 

“There. I’ve put it off..” before shrugging like it’s the most normal thing to do.

 

This person named Yoona had always visited the station—Irene noticed this since they’ve been relocated. She would constantly catch a glimpse of the incredibly striking woman in Yuri’s office, laying idly at the office’ couch, sometimes skimming on magazines, most of the time deep in her thoughts.

 

Irene once asked her partner Sooyoung if the girl was Yuri’s significant other—noticing the unusual behavior of Yuri when the girl would be present. But the Choi only answered her with a scoff and a firm ‘No’ before stomping away.

 

Though the Bae wasn’t convinced.

 

Not when the doe-eyed girl would come to the station with take-outs for Kwon Yuri;

 

Not when one time, she caught Yuri throwing daggers from her eyes to their colleagues who shamelessly checked Yoona out the minute the latter came to the station and looked for her;

 

Not when the doe-eyed girl would be seen stealing glances at Yuri who was busy skimming on a document and her lips curving into an affectionate smile once the Kwon would look up to catch her staring.

 

And especially not when one time, Irene abruptly stopped herself from barging inside the Kwon’s office because she saw Yuri—their known cold and emotionless Inspector…

 

..smiling gently at the sight of a sleeping Yoona laid on the couch, stooped down on the sleeping girl’s level as the tanned cop fondly the doe-eyed girl’s locks cascading through her neck down to her shoulders.

 

Something about the way she gawked at the asleep figure rendered a desire for Irene to look away—as if what she was witnessing was a private moment between the two people.

 

Something too personal that she had pried.

 

Although, yes, it was rude of her to nose around the women’s businesses, Irene cannot just stop herself from ogling at the intimate moment she could see unfolding right infront of her.

 

It was almost enchanting.

 

If not in love, then what other earthly term should Irene use to describe what Yoona and Yuri have between them?

 

“U-uhm..we should ahh..” Taeyeon cleared .

 

The environment was too awkward for a pale and weak kid leader to take in, “We should head inside, Soo, Irene..”

 

“What? No. We’ll wait for Yuri..” Sooyoung replied, unwavering.

 

“But I-I’m cold and I’m a little bit dizzy..”

 

“There’s Irene who can accompany you Taeng. I’ll wait for Yuri he—“

 

“Go ahead Syoung..” Yuri’s words split through the silence engulfing the deepening night, “Just give us a moment..” the cop side-glanced as she spoke.

 

“But—“

 

“Come on, you giant..” the ahjumma’s chide echoed soon and Yuri could only imagine how Taeyeon dragged the Choi away from them. She heard a childish growl from Sooyoung before the three of them, together with Irene, disappeared into the station.

 

Leaving Yuri with the delinquent standing across her.

 

“Cigarette??” an inquiry was the first thing that sounded the moment they were left alone together.

 

“You think you’ll make a good impression by coming here puffing a cigarette??”

 

Yoona was looking anywhere but Yuri, body still propped at her car’s hood.

 

“I wasn’t even able to finish a stick..” she squeaked, just above a whisper she thought Yuri wouldn’t catch it.

 

She did.

 

“Oh? Should that make me happier then????” and her response was contrary to the way Yoona answered her—her tone a notch higher than the usual.

 

“Should that stop me from worrying about your health? Should that make me less upset than I already am??”

 

Yoona knows better not to when Yuri is just all out pissed on what she did.

 

“You could light up one after this chit chat. Light another tomorrow morning. And another when you’re bored. And another and another and another until you’ve become a damned chain-smoker before you even knew it..”

 

Yuri heaved a sigh.

 

“I’ve seen worse upshots of smoking Yoona. Don’t get me started with this..”

 

This is stressing.

 

She doesn’t even know now what she was really dismayed about.

 

Is this still on catching Yoona smoking?

 

Or is it because of the fact that a pair of doe eyes that have grown into her favorite escape from the world around her was now blinking of insensibility and dullness?

 

Different to the twinkling ones she found irresistible.

 

“What? A cat got your tongue?? You wouldn’t even speak to me??”

 

This made the Im to turn her eyes to the cop. But still no words came out from that Yuri found herself running out of patience.

 

She is tired. She is famished. She had enough worries for today.

 

She cannot deal with whatever stunt Yoona is pulling out right now.

 

“You know what? Fine. Don’t talk. Don’t talk to me ever. Just go home and spend your time doing anything you want. I don’t care.”

 

Yuri was about to walk away with her heavy heart when slender fingers grabbed her wrist—stopping her from taking a step away.

 

Though she was expecting it.

 

This whole dramatic, grabbing thing typically portrayed in K-dramas.

 

But not this type of grabbing thing that instead of her being turned, Yoona did otherwise.

 

The scrawny woman started dragging her away from the car towards a place a little bit distant from the police station. Nonetheless it wasn’t forceful.

 

The way her hands had themselves unconsciously tangled with the doe-eyed girl’s kept Yuri staring, making her too occupied to struggle her way out of the Im’s grip.

 

Also, Yuri knows herself that something in her was letting Yoona tug her away without restraint.

 

Although she cannot really pinpoint what.

 

Shortly, they’ve made it to their destination: a dim lighted backstreet.

 

With a tender shove, Yoona managed to get Yuri’s back against the wall, facing her with the Kwon’s features appearing to be a lot sharper and feistier with the dusky environment they’re in.

 

Boy, was it y.

 

Yuri, that is.

 

They stood there idly with no one daring to speak. Just staring at each other, basking in the stillness each other was emitting. It was almost deafening.

 

But a good one.

 

“There’s no other way I want to spend my time with than to spend it with you..” Yoona had to say the words.

 

That didn’t help for Yuri to say the least for it left her blushing madly at the sudden confession, blinking rapidly to make sure that she didn’t mishear things.

 

Thank goodness the back alley was badly lit or for certain Yoona would see her beet red face.

 

A moment after, she could see Yoona slowly leaning in, her one hand already pressed against the wall beside Yuri. The Kwon had a feeling where this was going but decided not to push the thought.

 

She felt herself swallowing a lump in and bat her eyelids to make sure she wasn’t dreaming.

 

Yoona’s face up close is a lot more enthralling than she already is, sending Yuri a little bit dazed and stupefied at how a human being could be this fine-looking.

 

It’s almost unfair.

 

To top it all, she, the cold Inspector Kwon Yuri, had the privilege to be with this person—this arguably, most stunning woman that ever existed.

 

What did she ever do in her past life to have this honor?

 

Soon enough, Yuri felt a light thud on her right shoulder, coupled with a tingling sensation creeping through her body.

 

Yoona has her head plopped on the said part, nose brushing through the cop’s collar, lips dangerously close to Yuri’s neck.

 

Not to mention their bodies squeezed unto each other that left no space to occupy.

 

Holy mother of chicken.

 

Talk about intimacy.

 

“I love your scent..” the doe-eyed girl whispered, “It’s so addicting I could get a whiff all day..” and Yuri tried her hardest not to squirm under the Im’s breath tickling her flesh.

 

Gawd, might as well film o at this rate.

 

Almost suddenly, Yuri felt a coarse touch on her hand, tugging her own.

 

It was Yoona’s bandaged one.

 

The cop merely stared down at their interlocked hands and wrinkled her brow. She fiddled with their fingers knitted with each other before mustering to raise it up and take a much closer look at it.

 

“Where did you get this??” she whispered, eyeing the painfully-looking dressing tied up around Yoona’s hands. “Did you get yourself into a fight?”

 

A tug on her heart made Yoona to look up. Yuri sounded so concerned when she muttered her words that the Im felt the need to meet her eyes.

 

And when she did, Yoona was sure she could melt in a puddle of goo.

 

Yuri’s puppy eyes is like the most adorable thing she ever saw in her entire life. Her eyebrows were knitted together to emphasize her apprehension and the Kwon’s lower lip was slightly jutted out.

 

And to know that she, a heinous hired killer, had to witness the cuteness of the known stoic cop unfold before her, Yoona felt honored.

 

“Are you worried?”

 

“You think?”

 

The doe-eyed girl had to let out a soft chuckle at that and glanced at the slightly glaring Kwon inches away from her before looking back at their intertwined fingers with a small smile.

 

Her first smile of the week.

 

“Just stop making me worry about you Yoona..”

 

Another soft smile came out of the Im before she pressed her lips against Yuri’s hand with eyes closed, “I’m sorry..”

 

Yuri pursed her lips at the contact. Since when did the two of them become too cheesy like this?

 

“Promise me..”

 

“What?” the doe-eyed girl looked up.

 

“Promise me that you will take good care of yourself from now on..”

 

Yoona smiled at the proposition before looking into Yuri’s eyes, “I promise..”

 

Hearing this, a smile slowly crept the cop’s face too, very endearing for Yoona’s little cold heart.

 

“But promise me one thing, too..”

 

This earned a confused look on Yuri but nodded anyway, “Okay. What is it?”

 

If it wasn’t one of the rarest moment where Yoona is all serious and engrossed, Yuri would say that it was one of the girl’s smooth talking kind of thing.

 

But no. It wasn’t.

 

Because vehemently, with those big doe-eyes Yuri learned to love, Yoona had to say,

 

“Whatever happens, promise me that you will always stay by my side…that you will never leave..”

 

There. Yuri saw right through Yoona’s eyes what made them so connected to each other—the thing that has always been a mystery to Yuri.

 

Yoona is just as vulnerable as her.

 

Together with a smile on her lips and a soft look in her eyes, Yuri had to cup Yoona’s cheeks before uttering, “I promise Yoona… I will never leave you…”

 

As fireworks noisily explode from a distant, Yoona and Yuri’s heart had to race like they’re running a kilometer.

 

Because before they even knew it, their lips have themselves pressed against each other, chewing on those soft muscles with much indulgence, eyes shut to drown their already drunken state into a chain of more disarrayed thoughts to satiate the yearning for one another they never thought existed.

 

It was neither too rough nor too innocent.

 

It was just enough for Yuri to encircle her arms around Yoona’s neck and for the doe-eyed girl to pull the cop closer—closest.

 

And if Yoona and Yuri would be asked what moment is the best moment: it would be this.

 

Their first shared kiss.

 

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

“Let’s talk..”

 

If a skinny doe-eyed girl wasn’t enough to yank away Yuri from her, a petite woman just had to appear in their station to take away Taeyeon now.

 

Just what is with these people getting themselves paired up??

 

Sooyoung could only pray for one.

 

“J-je-je-jessicaaah??”

 

Or she could just roll her eyes at how awkward and stuttered is the Kim to someone she’d been sleeping around for weeks.

 

“We need to talk Kim Taeyeon..”

 

The blonde woman almost out Taeyeon’s sockets when she appeared out of the blue, wearing that icy glare Taeyeon always find scary and y at the same time.

 

“Sorry princess, visiting hours is over. The patient needs to rest..” Sooyoung chimed, crossing her arms to tell the much shorter woman who’s the boss.

 

But Jessica is the boss.

 

And Sooyoung is yet to know that.

 

“Shut the up, you scrawny little . I am not talking to you!”

 

The Jung hissed, squinting her eyes at the agape Choi looking offended and pissed all the same.

 

“You just didn’t—”

 

“Oh yes I did, scrawny little ..”

 

The scrawny little couldn’t take it anymore, glaring at the tiny lady she knew she could crush if she wanted to, “How dare you! You piece of—”

 

“Ugh!” and Jessica couldn’t take it, too. This is not what she came here for. “Just let me talk to Taeyeon, okay? It’ll only be a moment, I swear. After that, I’ll be gone..”

 

“No.”

 

Sooyoung smirked when she heard Taeyeon announce, “See? Taeyeon doesn’t want to talk to you, you piece of—“

 

“N-no, I mean, don’t be gone Sica..” Taeyeon said, looking so vulnerable and fragile in the eyes of Jessica Jung.

 

Choi Sooyoung be damned. All she could do is shot the Kim an incredulous look, looking all betrayed, before turning back to Jessica.

 

The petite woman looked soft all of a sudden. Gone was the flaring nose and ice-cold glare for it was replaced with a gaze Sooyoung cannot really decipher.

 

“Can we just talk for a minute, Syoung?” she heard Taeyeon speak, “Just give us a moment..”

 

The tallest was about to snap, her sentence ready to roll off her tongue. However, when she saw how Taeyeon and Jessica seemed to be in a love bubble that only them was allowed to be in, Sooyoung could only groan in frustration.

 

She resentfully dragged her towards the door and uttered words like “What’s with people shoving me off their noses?” and “Stupid love affairs..” before disappearing from the room.

 

Leaving Taeyeon and Jessica the moment they needed.

 

At first it was awkward, knowing how everything didn’t go so well the last time they saw each other.

 

Jessica took this uncomfortable moment as her opportunity to look at Taeyeon, check up on her, at the closer look.

 

The cop still looked frail, but not as weak as she was days ago. Her eyes were dozy, telling the Jung how Taeyeon might not had a good night sleep these past days.

 

Just what kind of doctor was Tiffany?? Has she not been treating Taeyeon well?

 

Something ignited in Jessica even more when some wild thought came to her mind.

 

What if Tiffany and Taeyeon had been doing it?

 

? All night long??

 

That’s why Taeyeon has not been getting enough rest..

 

That’s why Taeyeon has neither given her a call nor text..

 

That’s why—

 

“Jessica..” Taeyeon’s voice stirred her thoughts away, “I—“

 

But before the Kim could even finish her words, Jessica had pulled the midget into a gentle but needy hug she’d been meaning to do the moment she saw Taeyeon awhile ago.

 

The Kim on the other hand could only widen her eyes in shock but feel easing up and just give in to the warmth when Jessica’s embrace lingered a little bit longer.

 

Only to have her eyes widen in surprise once again when she heard Jessica said, in a vulnerable but resolved way,

 

“I love you, Kim Taeyeon. And if I have to go on a fight with Tiffany just to call your engagement off, I’ll do it. I want you all mine. And Jessica Jung always gets what she wants, regardless of the extremes she had to go through..”

 

 

 

 

***

 

 

In a convenience store, some meters away from Seoul Police Department, walks in a very eager baby bear.

 

She immediately flew right into the store to find the junk that she’ll fall madly in love with over and over again.

 

“Oh my gaawdd! Yes!”

 

Her favorite can of original flavored Pringles.

 

“How did I manage to live for days without you guys?? Mwaahh, mwaaah, mwaaah!!” Seulgi cried dramatically, kissing every can of Pringles laid in the row.

 

Immediately, she reaped every can that she her tiny arms could carry and started walking towards the counter with an overly excited mood.

 

Too excited that she wasn’t even able to notice the presence of someone lining up the counter before her.

 

Oooff!

 

There, her baby Pringles started flying all over place when she suddenly bumped on the back of the person infront of her.

 

“OMO!! My babies!”

 

Quickly, the baby bear squatted down to gather her now bruised Pringles back to her arms.

 

Although she wasn’t alone.

 

“Your babies??” an unfamiliar but really attractive voice stirred Seulgi away from the thoughts of her Pringles getting crushed into crumbles, making her look up to the source.

 

Lalalalalalalala~

 

That Korean song she once listened when a fluttering feeling should be portrayed suddenly played in Seulgi’s mind.

 

Her monolids sure have grown into quartet and dropped six feet underground once she landed her eyes on the creature who dared to hurt her Pringles.

 

Damn that Pringles and .

 

Kang Seulgi doesn’t give a anymore.

 

All she cares is this very, very, beautiful woman across her, giving out the cans she clumsily let go.

 

Those hypnotizing eyes. Perfectly-shaped nose. Those thin, luscious lips. Oh my god, is that a flawlessly curved jawline?!

 

And look at her skin! It looks so white and—

 

“Miss??”

 

Seulgi blinked profusely at the address, “Y-y-yeah??”

 

Baby bear thinks she’d gone crazy.

 

But that word would be a belittlement to describe how her mind went when the said angelic person she’d been silently spazzing over for like since 15 seconds ago had to show off a dazzling smile that could make anyone go berserk (Seulgi, that is)

 

“It’s your turn to pay. The cashier is waiting for you..”

 

“A-ahh. Y-yes..”

 

Almost immediately, Seulgi hurried to get the remaining cans of Pringles on the floor and jolted up to see the cashier, eyeing her with such oddity.

 

“Yeri-yah, I’ll be going now. Thank you for this free fabric conditioner..” the angelic voice spoke again, this time speaking to the one over the counter.

 

Seulgi deemed it was the cashier’s name that the angel had called. But who cares? She could only think about what could be the angel’s name and the world be damned.

 

“Aniya, Irene unnie. You’ve been a regular customer here and you became a friend of mine. I’m happy to give you something you like..”

 

Irene..

 

That’s a perfect name for a perfect girl, Seulgi thought.

 

She could only (and shamelessly) gawk at Irene’s retreating figure with plastic bag in hand and still think that the girl was drop-dead gorgeous. The latter gave another set of gratitude to the cashier before smiling again.

 

Staapph! Bear’s heart just cannot.. Staaapphh!

 

“Hey, Pringles..”

 

M-me?

 

“Yeah, you. Pringles..”

 

What the—

 

Ooohhh~ That smile again… When would she stop??

 

“Get your head on the road. You’ll miss what’s on the way..”

 

Dead.

 

Kang Seulgi is dead.

 

And Irene was the death of her.

 

____________________

A/N: I'm excited to read your reactions on this. Write me something ^_^