Played and Pained

Catch Me If You Can

 

Yuri hates Yoona.

 

She extremely detests the girl to the bone.

 

It was not her primary intention to do so but every time she sees the Im and remembers their first encounter at the park, the action-filled second and third meet on the café and in the bar respectively, the thoughts of being kind and soft to the girl instantly vanish.

 

Oh and the ‘date’ they were supposed to go into but miserably failed after the doe-eyed girl decided not to show up and leave the Kwon drenched under the snow for hours, waiting in vain—Yuri will never ever forget it.

 

It was like another momentous occasion for the tanned cop—the memory making it in the Never-to-Acquaint-myself-with List Yuri decently tucked inside her mind for the past years, eventually making Yoona the least person Yuri wanted herself to be acquainted with, rational-wise.

 

But these past days, Yoona had been extremely clingy and present—something Yuri is not used of. Aloof was her definition of living before Yoona came to ruin her peaceful life.

 

The girl has been there, spending all of her unbelievably heinous amount of time guarding the Kwon.

 

Yoona had told Yuri that the real reason why she had been visiting her was because she needed protection and guardianship. The juvenile said that she is the only one who could keep her safe and protect her from harm.

 

And sure enough, Yuri has to committedly keep herself from strangling the poor kid after hearing the sickest joke of all time.

 

Like what the hell??

 

She is a cop for crying out loud and she protects people from harm, not the other way around.

 

All the more, she never imagined herself being sheltered by a child—someone like the clumsy Yoona.

 

So from that day onwards, Yuri started to believe that the kid might be a psycho—a very gorgeous one—and just let the Im do whatever it is she is doing.

 

And tonight, was yet another one of the surprises Yoona has been giving her lately.

 

Food would be the last thing that could send Yuri to her knees and beg, better yet, to feel a churn inside her stomach and the need to look away from fear of embarrassment because of the blush that crawled throughout her face.

 

Bar today.

 

And Yuri hated the fact that Yoona and her ways have made her into this red-faced freak.

 

She instructed herself to definitely throw a cold shoulder or give away a tantrum the moment she arrives back to her office and meet the girl. Yuri deemed it to be her revenge for the girl’s clumsy act of making her flush for a moment.

 

So imagine the cop, inwardly battling herself what to react, when she found an empty room—no Yoona laying down the couch like she used to nor a scrawny girl comfortably reading the magazines stacked in Yuri’s shelf.

 

No Yoona.

 

Nothing.

 

Finally, the Kwon let out a bitter scoff and shook her head.

 

What else would she expect from that ADHD-diagnosed psychopath?

 

Biting her lip and profusely blinking her eyes to stop the tiniest drop of tear forming in the back of her eyelids, Yuri balled her fist.

 

I’m being played, am I not?

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

She has only driven blocks away from the police station when it came into a sudden halt, drastically screeching the tires of her four-wheels against the asphalt road. But she cannot help it.

 

Her gaze has started to go hazy.

 

The intense pain in her blood-dripping shoulder is not helping at all. And worse, every movement she does, makes the pain even more painful.

 

Carelessly parking somewhere along a not so busy sidewalk, Yoona heavily heaved a sigh she needed to release. She had no choice but to leave the station before Yuri gets back to her office. The Im was really certain that if she had stayed longer, her cover was long blown out.

 

Panting for air and flinching once in a while, Yoona reached for her phone rested on the passenger’s seat.

 

She immediately dialed a number and it was answered on the 5th ring.

 

“This better be something important!” cried the woman over the line.

 

Yoona was sure that Jessica was in a middle of her session with, more or less, the short cop when she answered the phone call. And it is one of the things that could aggravate the girl.

 

Interrupting her in the midst of her euphoria.

 

But the doe-eyed girl could only care less. This is urgent.

 

“Sicaahh??” wheezed Yoona.

 

A brief silence was consumed over the line until the speaker finally spoke. “Babe! What’s up?”

 

Babe.. Yeah. Jessica usually calls her babe. She is that playful.

 

But why is it that Yoona feels weird about how the older girl calls her that now?

 

“I—“ the Im gasped for air. “..I’m s-staahhbed..”

 

Silence.

 

“What?!!!”

 

Megaphones would be ashamed to hear how loud Jessica’s shout was. Or was Yoona exaggerating?

 

“What are you talking about?! I-Is it bad??”

 

“I-I don’t know.. But I think it’s deep.”

 

“Holy sshhh—uhm, uh.. okay..w-where are you??”

 

Panic is evident in Jessica’s voice and all the more Yoona feels so guilty about it. Jessica hates blood.

 

“Blocks a-away from the p-police station… Am parked somewhere down the streets..”

 

“I’m on my way. Hang in there, babe.”

 

The call ended and soon all Yoona could here was the dial tone over the line. She literally dropped her phone back to the passenger’s seat and adjusted herself.

 

Wincing in pain, the doe-eyed girl reached for the pierced part and gripped it, hoping to add pressure and lessen the gush of blood coming out of the wound—only to make it worse.

 

Yoona felt more liquid surged through her already cold flesh, almost thinking that her body was running out of blood faster than she thought.

 

The last time she was wounded was almost four years ago—being the total clumsy that she was—not ducking from the flying bullets. It was painful.

 

But tonight is unbearable.

 

Never imagined that the man she dealt with could be that adept.

 

At first she thought that he could be just some reckless thug Kim hired to knock the cop’s down.

 

She handled him as skillful as she ordinarily could and even brought him down to his knees a couple of times.

 

But he was sturdier than she thought.

 

He had kicked and hit her hard after regaining his composure and as if it wasn’t enough to cause Yoona cough out blood, the man brought out a tiny, shimmering knife from his pocket.

 

Yoona thought that the metal could not even hurt her, seeing how small it was.

 

But when the man seemingly pushed a button on its handgrip and the blade miraculously growing a few inches more, the Im calmly swallowed a lump in .

 

She could not die here, she thought.

 

Yoona recalled the man swinging the knife forcefully as she would successfully dodge the attack. She heard him grunt a couple of times when she was able to get away with him.

 

But it was not long after that the cold metal sliced through the part between her chest and shoulder.

 

If it was not because of her reflex and faster hands, the dagger could have cut through instead and kill her right on the spot.

 

She remembered the guy pushing the dagger even further as she resisted, feeling the cold-metal pierce through her tissues.

 

She even lost count of how many times the guy was able to hit the very same spot whenever they would clash.

 

Every of the knife was excruciating but Yoona kept her cool and bore holes into the man’s eyes.

 

Using all of her strength, the Im was able to flip the tables and snatched the dagger away from the man.

 

After a couple of more actions, Yoona successfully stuck the blade right through the man’s chest and sliced through his upper abdomen—leaving him half-dead and dying.

 

It was a dreadful sight, seeing blood beginning to flood all over the small, dark alley.

 

And Yoona knew it could be even more dreadful if it was her own blood and her own body lying helplessly down the cold ground waiting for her time to run out.

 

The thought of Yuri immediately contained her blurry mind and as if a reflex, the Im has broken away from her hazy stupor and jolt a little bit.

 

She cannot die in here.. No.

 

Not yet.

 

Not when Kim is out there doing everything he can to get his filthy hands on Yuri and Taeyeon.

 

Besides, she needs to know why the devil wants the cops dead—aside from the fact that they are law enforcers.

 

Calmly flinching in sting, Yoona could only pray for Jessica’s quick arrival as she agonizingly bleed inside her automobile.

 

 

 

***

 

 

Jessica was a freaking mess after hanging up on Yoona.

 

She unconsciously pushed Taeyeon a little too abrupt who was hovering over her and immediately pulled up the thin lace of underwear the cop have skillfully pulled down. She finished buttoning up her shorts and adjusted herself on the driver’s seat straightaway.

 

“What the hell?? We’re not even done yet..” Taeyeon complained, now seated on the passenger’s side of the car.

 

“Yes we are, for tonight. We can do this some other time Taeyeon.” The blonde responded as she fiddled on her keys.

 

“Where are you going?”

 

“Just somewhere.”

 

A snort. Jessica heard a snort. “To that babe who just called you?”

 

Jessica doesn’t want to think that she heard a hint of disappointment and hurt on the words of the cop. Turning her head to face the Kim, Jessica replied. “Yes. I’m going to meet the babe who just called me.”

 

Taeyeon stared. She could only stare blankly at Jessica who spat that fearless statement head-on.

 

Oh yeah.

 

How could she forget?

 

This girl is a player, remember?

 

Taeyeon smiled sourly, eyes now fixed to the road in front, “Right. I was just a distraction. Who am I to stop you from going away when I’m just a nothing?”

 

Ever since they met, this would be the first time Jessica felt the need to be away from the cop. It was as if every tick of the clock that passes would suffocate her from the awkward atmosphere suddenly growing inside the vehicle.

 

“This is not the right time to talk about that Taeyeon.”

 

“About even what, Jessica? About us? What do you even call us? What are we?”

 

Jessica could hear the upset and pain in Taeyeon’s words. She clearly does.

 

It was the first time and she doesn’t even have the guts to laugh at the sudden outburst of emotions like she used to do with her former mates.

 

Because in as much as Jessica wanted to deny, she herself was confused as to what is the real status going on between her and Taeyeon.

 

Are they even for real?

 

But Jessica doesn’t have time for this.

 

Yoona needs her. And she needs to see the girl now.

 

After a moment of clenching her jaw silently, Jessica started the engine and drove away from their last location to the police station, leaving the questions Taeyeon have asked her lingering in her mind.

 

What are they?

 

And it was not far too long until the Jung could see the station from afar. Their short ride towards the place was too weird that all Jessica could do was to step on the pedal a little too hard to make the drive faster and shorter.

 

Parking, Jessica did not dare to turn and face Taeyeon.

 

No. She will never do that.

 

She was unsure why but she has a feeling it has something to do with the eyes of Taeyeon. It was too expressive and fragile that the blonde feared seeing through the girl and meeting whatever emotions pent up through those pair of brown orbs.

 

Better yet, afraid of what she might react upon witnessing such dazzling view.

 

On her peripheral view, the blonde saw the cop staring at the road infront of her and soon a seemingly closing remark resounded inside the car.  

 

“I hope you were satisfied with my care, Jessica. Drive safely.”

 

The petite girl on the driver seat could only purse her lips and blink profusely.

 

Taeyeon had just quoted a Baymax shut down command and it should be funny. But not even a bit she found it funny.

 

She was more into the fact that this might be the last time she would see the girl and she never thought that this moment would be this hard to handle.

 

She had done this before—letting go of her flings and playmates after both of their parties made sure to benefit from each other. But never did Jessica Jung thought that there would be another instance in her life feeling the difficulty of letting someone go once again.

 

And what could be more unusual when she felt a déjà vu moment upon seeing Taeyeon get out of the car and saunter away from her?

 

It was too familiar Jessica was starting to feel… nostalgic.

 

To get away with the feeling, the Jung immediately stepped on the pedal and drive off.

 

Yoona is more important now than this bombarding her.

 

 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

A/N: Short update for my readers and subscribers who have waited for a month or so. I apologize folks *bowing 180 degrees now*

 

Life was harassing me all these past weeks. Kekekeke. But I’m glad I am coping up. Thanks for reading, upvoting, subscribing, commenting and all other things. Hahaha!

 

YoonYul ship is sailing high! Wootwoo!! Mickey and Minnie all the way! :D

 

And for TaengSic, well, have you caught that #you by Jessica in IG? Hehehe. I found it interesting cause you know, she used it in the midst of #I by Taeyeon and the rest of the members :D Spooky right? You and I. Kekeke

 

Anyway, keep loving and supporting SNSD and YoonYul guys! Oh, and let’s vote for SNSD in Melon and MAMA for the categories they are nominated! Fighting!