Slip

Catch Me If You Can

 

 

CLICK.

 

CLICK.

 

CLICK.

 

CLICK.

 

CLICK.

 

Flashes of camera lights and the simultaneous annoying sounds of it have been filling the dead-aired room where a specific corpse has been lying for some time now.

 

Few of the Seoul Police Department’s cops and the Forensics have already arrived at the crime scene and have started investigating and studying the killing that was indeed flawlessly accomplished.

 

“Inspector Kwon Yuri from Seoul Police Department” a certain tanned cop spoke in a low voice that hinted seriousness.

 

Taeyeon, who arrived at the crime scene a little early than her friend, turned around to see Yuri hoisting her police ID infront of the security who tried to block the area from civilians. The man nodded his head and moved to his side to let Yuri in.

 

Once inside the constricted locker room that seemed like the restaurant staffs’ closet, the two female cops convened.

 

“What happened here?” Yuri asked, studying the room and immediately spotting the dead body sprawled on the floor with his upper body leaning against a wooden closet.

 

“Another massacre. And this time, it’s Kang Joon Hae, CEO and founder of Kang Group of Companies.”

 

With brows knitted together, the cold Kwon approached the dead figure and stared down at it—keenly studying every inch of his cold body. And Yuri was sure that the figure was looking pretty nasty with the paleness all over his face and the purple-ish color of his deoxygenated nails and fingertips.

 

But what Yuri noticed the most was the absence of blood or wound that would indicate how fatal his shot was.

 

“There’s no hint of blood here..” the Kwon cop crouched down and studied the area near the corpse infront of her. Positive. No hint of blood around the victim’s position.

 

Yuri scrunched her face even more as she examined the dead figure. Scanning the whole cold body, the cop wanted to know what caused the man’s death.

 

“It was not a bullet or a knife that killed him. We are starting to think he was injected with a high dosage of…“

 

“Pancuronium Bromide and potassium chloride..” Yuri finished, tilting gently the dead man’s neck that showed her a very small puncture on the blood-drained flesh.

 

Taeyeon, who knew what the substances are, blinked with a sickened façade.

 

“Those are the drugs used in lethal injections and we do not even do it here in Korea.” The midget spoke, displeased clear on her tone.

 

Yuri took her time to examine the victim. She had heard lot of controversies regarding this person from the news and how dirty the man plays especially in the business industry.

 

She could be happy to see one less, evil person in the world but even the eye-for-en-eye Yuri, she would have wanted to let the man suffer behind bars.

 

“How long has he been dead?” Yuri inquired as she stood up, now asking the forensic agent who was scribbling down notes in his notepad beside her.

 

“Approximately an hour ago, Inspector Kwon.”

 

“An hour ago?” surprise was evident at the tanned cop’s voice. Yuri turned her head to the midget beside her.

 

“Have you checked the perimeters of the building??”

 

“Yes and we found nothing suspicious and irregular.”

 

“How about the CCTV’s?”

 

“About that…” Taeyeon took a second to look at her bestfriend right through her eyes, “the footage on the entire floor where the victim had reserved especially the room where they had dinner shows nothing that can help this case. All it plays was the fine dining of the victim and his men and that’s it. Kang was not even seen standing up from his seat that would explain why he ended up in this room. There was nothing that follows the shot and we deduced that the image has been played over and over again during the entire time that the murder has been carried out, deceiving the staffs who were behind the computers.”

 

“Have they not noticed the unchanging set up in their monitors??? They could have atleast checked if one person has gone to the bathroom for a release after the meal.”

 

“Tell that to their dense security personnel. One of them even slept during their duty..”

 

Yuri angrily huffed and placed her hands on her waist as she processed the information Taeyeon had given her. She breathed at the thought of this well-planned murder as well as the stupid people who are supposed to be helping them in catching culprits.

 

This is one of the reasons she wanted to stay as cold as ever. Stupid people are the pretext why the toll of death, corruption and poverty have raised to its highest degree.

 

Yuri doesn’t want to tolerate such idiocy. Not in her book.

 

“How about the men who was with the victim?? Are they alive?” the Kwon once again started, composure regaining back as she asked.

 

“Yes but they are unconscious. The suspect must have put something in their food that knocked them out.”

 

The Kwon raised a brow, “The staffs who served them? Where are they?? How about the chef who cooked the menu??”

 

As if on cue, one of the cops appeared on the door, calling out there names.

 

“Inspector Kim! Inspector Kwon!”

 

Taeyeon and Yuri abruptly turned her heads towards the man, respectively.

 

“We found unconscious bodies in the other room. We’re guessing they were the attendants who served the victim and his accomplices.”

 

The two cops glanced back at each other before speedily walking out of the room with the other police officer leading their way.

 

“How many?”

 

“We got only three..”

 

The three figures entered the area.

 

Three lifeless women are kept inside the confines of what seemed like another locker room. Two figures are sprawled beside a chair where the third woman was tied into and Taeyeon and Yuri both saw that their mouths are sealed with duct tapes.

 

“Are they dead?” Taeyeon asked, walking towards the woman knotted on the chair. She reached for the latter’s pulse point on her neck and felt relief after she sensed a weak thump.

 

“Negative. Probably induced with the same drug the suspect used for Kang’s accomplices..” the midget said, taking quick glances to the other two knocked out attendants.

 

“The chefs?”

 

Yuri inquired, question referred to the third cop in the room besides Taeyeon.

 

“We found them in the kitchen, same state as the others who were located.”

 

“Have you searched for other bodies or casualties in the entire floor?”

 

“We checked and double checked, Inspector. Turned out they were the only people here in the floor. The victim had the entire flat reserved for their dinner..”

 

The Kwon pursed her lips in pondering about the whole situation. This is definitely a well, sketched murder by a shrewd and smooth working criminal. Whoever who did this, Yuri was positive, he OR she OR they is or are, nowhere near the word ordinary.

 

“Get the most information, clues and pictures you can get…” the tanned cop sighed.

 

“..we will not let the suspect get away with this.”

 

 

 

***

 

 

The painfully icy breeze of the late evening is starting to sip into the scrawny figure of a tall, blonde lady as she ambled along a lonely, quiet street of Seoul.

 

Her empty, light steps that are associated with nothing but a mental sigh are the only things that keep her company.

 

She had just accomplished the ‘always’ ruthless assignment that was given to her and fair enough, ditched the supposed date-for-a-name with the person who somehow made her feel like a normal person for the past days.

 

An ordinary person would actually die to have a date with a person as hot and sweet as the cop Yuri. Although Yuri seemed to be so distant and reserved, the façade that the woman was wearing, Yoona knew it was deceptive. They may only have a few moments shared together but it was enough for the doe-eyed blonde to understand the cop.

 

But the thing is, Yoona is not ordinary. She is a killer, remember? And Yuri?

 

Kwon Yuri is a cop. The best cop in Korea, quote the woman herself.

 

And Im Yoona had just killed a very wealthy person tonight. The murder was expected to hit the headlines by tomorrow. Perhaps it is now being printed on papers, even.

 

It will be impossible that Yuri will not be involved in things like this, not when this is her forte.

 

Catching lawbreakers.

 

And Im Yoona is a lawbreaker.

 

Even more, a hired killer.

 

So what is there to do?

 

Get home and ditch the supposed date.

 

Yoona was even sure that the cop was already in the crime scene right now, possibly rummaging even the smallest clue they can get out of the clean kill she carried out.

 

And the fieldworker has never been more correct when she found Jessica in her room, watching over the monitors that displays different corners of the restaurant where she has been an hour ago. Police are now scattered all throughout the several angles that the CCTV’s could capture and Yoona was now used in thinking that she is the main reason of all the fuss happening beyond the screens.

 

“There’s our dates, Yoong.. Both busy and clueless that the people they took interest with are the objects of their search and the perpetrators of the murder they’re both trying to solve..”

 

Jessica announced with her eyes fixated on the monitors across her, fully aware of her partner’s presence behind her all along.

 

The scrawny killer, who has been leaning herself against the door frame all this time, just stood there in silence as she watched.

 

Although meters away, Yoona caught the sight of the raven haired cop’s figure on a monitor. The beauty was engaged in a conversation with Jessica’s petite beau and both seemed to be really engrossed with their talk.

 

“Oh wait. How was the date?? Did you go??” The Jung asked, her head now turned to get a glimpse of her reeking hot partner-in-crime standing meters away from her.

 

Yoona could only shrug.

 

“I didn’t..”

 

And walked away from her partner’s room and into the kitchen fridge. She got herself a cold, bottle of water and gulped it alongside a blank stare into nothingness.

 

Because the truth is? Yoona went.

 

She went to the park where Yuri and she were supposed to meet. She is even beyond thrilled to discover that the raven haired cop was already there, waiting for her.

 

But she did not bother to reveal herself to the cop.

 

Yuri could be seen waiting for her, Yoona was certain. If she ever got out of her hiding place and caught Yuri taking glances from her left to right to see if any doe-eyed girl is walking towards her spot, Yoona was positive that Yuri would have actually denied that she was expecting her.

 

The cop was that reserved to admit that she has been waiting for her in the middle of a chilly evening, Yoona knew that.

 

Yet Yoona did not reveal herself to the tanned lady.

 

She doesn’t even know why, too, if you were wondering. It’s just…

 

“Why didn’t you go??”

 

Jessica’s high pitched question ruined her trail of thought. The petite blonde was already behind her when she asked.

 

And Yoona could only shrug for the second time as she gulped down another wave of water into , “I just didn’t.”

 

The Im then dragged herself into the table and settled herself on a chair, “Why?? Did you??”

 

Jessica blinked at the inquiry and lagged herself towards the counter.

 

“Err… I did not too”

 

That statement gave rise to the small smile on the tall blonde’s lips. At least she is not the only one.

 

“See?? You did not even go. Much more did I.”

 

The Jung chuckled at her dongsaeng’s reasoning. She sat across the table infront of Yoona and stared at her with an unnie smile.

 

“It is a different story when it comes to me, Yoong..” she cooed, “Me and Taeyeon.. we’re.. not meant..”

 

“Pssh. And what? Me and Yuri are?” Yoona shook her head incredulously.

 

“I’m not being dramatic and all but I think the both of you can somehow work things out. You know, both of you just clicked..”

 

That made the Im let out a slight scoff, not because what Jessica said was not true. But it was because, she felt it. She felt the connection that somehow sparked every time she will see the cop or when she will think about her. And Im Yoona never let ordinary strangers pass her mind.

 

“Why? You and that short cop don’t click??” Yoona emphasized the word initially used by the Jung across her.

 

The term just seems so accurate.

 

Hearing this, Jessica’s face suddenly fell a notch lower. Listening to the statement out loud somehow pinched her cold heart and the thought of the sweet Taeyeon made her sad.

 

“She has a name you know..” the Jung defended that caused the doe-eyed blonde to snicker.

 

“Taeyeon..” Jessica started, “…the types of her is so……”

 

The blonde trailed with deep thought showed on her face that made the Im to look so expectant.

 

“What?”

 

The not-so-ice-princess heaved a sigh, “Risky.”

 

For the second time today, Yoona scoffed. But this time, it was because the words of Jessica seemed so farfetched.

 

“Risky?? Ha! She even looks too fragile and innocent to be a cop.”

 

“Wow. And I’m getting all of this from an angel-like hired killer who just slaughtered a stinking monkey tonight. Oh the irony..” Jessica rolled her eyes at her partner’s word.

 

May it sound so cliché and overused, but Jessica believed that Yoona can fool even the wisest man in the CIA just with the looks.

 

And Yoona found herself smiling at the remark. Jessica never forgot to compliment her in the ways she can only understand, and the Im liked it about her. At least someone still thinks she is that innocent-looking to be a heinous murderer.

 

Because it feels so good to be called innocent, even though you know that you are so much remote to be called in real life.

 

“I mean look at me, Yoong. You know what I am right?” Jessica continued.

 

“A ?” Yoona guessed, hinting playfulness in her face.

 

“No! Not that!”

 

This gained a small chuckle from the tall blonde as she saw the reaction of her friend. It is fun to tease the ice-princess sometimes.

 

“Okay okay.. I get your point. You’re the renowned player Jessica Jung who sleeps with anyone she bumps into and you happened to do a one-on-one with the too-short-for-a-cop Taeyeon. What’s so risky with that??”

 

Hearing this, Jessica looked straight into the girl and almost slapped herself for not remembering that Yoona was strange into these kinds of things. Heck, the Jung doesn’t even know how her dongsaeng managed to ask Yuri out for a date (which she ditched herself by the way), how much more the complexity of affection.

 

Wait, did Jessica actually said affection?? No. Jessica Jung never shows affection. She is not the ice-princess for nothing. She begs to disagree. Hell no.

 

“Haigoo. It’s nothing that you will take interest anyway, Yoona-yah.. Just remember this. Taeyeon and I are never happening.”

 

“And so does me and Yuri..” Yoona muttered, slightly nodding her head at her own words.

 

Jessica sighed, “Yeah. That’s one common thing for the both of us today..”

 

Then both of the two hot killers fell into silence as they stared at nothingness—equally thinking of the words Jessica uttered.

 

Yeah, she is kind of right. The both of them are stuck into this bowl of overlapping noodles of emotions they did not expect to feel on the very first place. They do not even know how to describe the feeling at all, both of them.

 

And Yoona and Jessica always found it funny, although they did not admit it out loud, that the two of them would be sharing the exact, same burdens almost all the time that it is almost creepy.

 

“You know after thinking about all this we were doing for the past years, I realized we have another thing in common Sica..” Yoona broke the silence, fiddling with the bottle in her hands as she spoke.

 

“And what is that?”

 

The Im looked up with the familiar despondent eyes she always had behind the closed doors of their place and on that point, the ic-princess knew that Yoona have read through her.

 

“We always let things slip that easily and we both end up regretting it in the end.”

 

 

 

***

 

 

“Taeng?”

 

The husky voice of her bestfriend calling her name in such a gentle way made the spacing out Kim Taeyeon to break away from her thoughts.

 

“Mmm?”

 

Yuri, who was handling the steering wheel, quickly glanced at her bestfriend beside her and got her eyes back to the road. They are on their way back to the station.

 

“You okay?”

 

Taeyeon does not want to answer that. Of course she is not okay. Well, who would when you are ditched by your date anyway? Jessica did not come to their supposed meet and Taeyeon was disappointed.

 

And like always, the typical Kim Taengoo would say, “Yeah, I’m good..”

 

But Yuri did not believe her best chingoo. Yuri never believed Taeyeon when she exactly knew what is going on with her.

 

The both of them had enough time being together that it is already as easy as breathing in telling if the midget cop is fine or not. The Kwon just needed to ask to confirm it.

 

“You do know that you’re not a good liar, right?” Yuri asked, glancing at her bestfriend quickly.

 

Taeyeon’s eyes are fixed at the sight outside the moving car, taking her time to sink in Yuri’s words.

 

Yeah, she’s right. There is no point of feigning her distress when she is more than an open book to the stunning cop beside her.

 

“She did not come, Yul..” Taeyeon inhaled, “Jessica ditched me.."

 

Hearing this, Taeyeon’s distress state almost infected the never-been-affected-after-many-years Kwon Yuri.

 

Why?

 

Well, who would not when she shares the exact same situation with her bestfriend? The overly-cute doe-eyed girl who made her never-really-into-dates self into waiting under a chilly and windy evening at the park coincidentally did not appear as well.

 

What? Is fate playing with her now?

 

“Well, congratulations buddy.. You’re not the only one.”

 

This made the sad look in Taeyeon’s face to turn into a perfect expression of surprise, “What?!”

 

Yuri nodded with a deadpan expression, “Yup. I knew I shouldn’t have agreed to that cocky juvenile. I do not even swing that way!”

 

Or is she? Yuri does not know.

 

What she only knows is that she despised the girl even more and nothing will make her hatred go dwindle. Not even those big, doe-eyes of her will work, Yuri promised.

 

This only made her ever cold hard get even stonier than a rock.

 

Hearing the information, Taeyeon’s stress slowly turned into sympathy towards her bestfriend. It could have been as hard for Yuri, too, especially that her bestfriend rarely opens up her heart to anyone.

 

Taeyeon was certain of that.

 

“Haigoo. This . Life .” Taeyeon muttered, now fiddling with her fingers like a child as she looked down in vain.

 

She is starting to think that she is cursed. Yeah. Kim Cursed Yeon.

 

Yuri on the other hand only looked so blank like before, focusing on the road as much as she can.

 

Because honestly, she is way too affected with this.

 

This is one of the reasons why she never let her guards down before, because she has trust issues and that has been broken since that accident. After that life-changing moment, she just shut the whole world infront of her and wore a cold façade to hide her loneliness—too cautious not to be hurt again.

 

But the moment she tried opening up after so many years, she was once again hit with the reality that people are always as untrustworthy as ever.

 

The chance of getting back to her old self once again slipped through the hands of Yuri and she is now doubtful if she would like to get that opportunity once more.

 

“Yeah. It sure .”

 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

A/N:

Okay, first and foremost, I AM SORRY! I was supposed to post this chapter on the 7th of July but I was too occupied in PARTY-ing with Girls’ Generation’s pre-release single, PARTY!!

 

WOOTHOOOW! I am super hyped like ultra, mega, super, duper hyped! Kekekeke ^^

 

The girls are back and I was busy watching their MV over and over again to add up with the views! Kekeke. Have you watched it? Please do so if you did not yet so that we can reach 10million views before a week. It’s almost 7m now so, 3million more! Kekeke.

 

Anyway, all the subs, views, comments and upvotes are so appreciated by me. Thank you so much my dear readers! Like SNSD, YOU are Jjang and daebak! Idk if those are the right words but yeah! Hahaha.

 

Sorry if I am spazzing and so noisy today. I am just a REALLY happy and PROUD Sone :D

 

Thanks everyone! :D (Sorry for the errors if there are any, I didn’t proofread. Fighting! ^^)