Job

Catch Me If You Can

 

 

“Wha—they’re going that way smartass! Hey, are you listening to me?!”

 

Stupid, stupid, stupid!!!!!

 

This.

 

This is the perpetual mantra which a certain hot-headed raven haired cop had been reciting mentally all throughout her hell of a ride inside an impish delinquent’s posh vehicle.

 

Yuri was really, REALLY, on the verge of hitting this insolent, brash, scrawny stupid girl beside her if only the latter wasn’t manning the wheels.

 

They’ve been on the trail for the brute robbers for a while now, unbelievably catching up with them after the brief delay brought about by the small crash she and Taeyeon encountered.

 

Although, yes, Yuri secretly admits Yoona was exceptionally remarkable to fall behind the thugs in no time (to which the cop was greatly impressed), she can’t help but fume in anger when the girl would just disregard her instruction and do otherwise.

 

A little while ago, she directed the doe-eyed to hold her driving, wanting to take another lucky shot like she did when she was with Taeyeon.

 

But just when she was about to fire, the clumsy driver suddenly swerved the moving vehicle and Yuri could have gotten her brain shattering through the asphalt road if the culprit herself didn’t catch her arm.

 

“Are you trying to kill me?!” she remembered yelling after she got herself back into her seat.

 

But the person beside her did not even cringe of fear and only took side glance unto her before snapping her head back to the road.

 

“I’m trying to stop you from killing yourself…”

 

She recalled scoffing, feeling insulted after hearing those words from a clumsy kid.

 

“This is a part of my job. And all the more, this doesn’t concern you kid…”

 

Yuri remembered hissing coldly, wanting to scare the girl for meddling unto things she is not supposed to. But just then, bullets started raining and they had to duck for their life’s risk.

 

And now this.

 

“For goodness sake, we’re losing them..” Yuri clicked her tongue in exasperation.

 

Yoona just had to suddenly take a detour from their former lane and away from the vehicle they were chasing.

 

Just what is wrong with this girl?!

 

“You’re doing great unnie. Just drive straight into that street and wait for my signal to turn.”

 

Yoona has to mentally nod on Seulgi’s instruction over the line.

 

Yup.

 

All this time, she had been diligently following whatever direction the computer geek over the phone has to say. She believed Seulgi knows what she is doing, just as much as Jessica would do, to get their asses a better venture on catching up with the thieves they’ve been running after.

 

And she, as much as she wanted to, cannot tell the infuriated Kwon adjacent to her about it. 

 

But Yoona’s steady mind started to crumble when the tanned woman began to command icily.

 

“Pull over..”

 

The Im kept her stance and pretended not to hear anything from Yuri.

 

“Calculating distance… Okay! There’ll be a small alley on to your right 100 meters away from your current location that leads to the main road where the car you’ve been chasing will appear in about… three minutes and twenty-five seconds from now. You need to step into the pedal and run for 100 kph to catch up with them on time, unnie…”

 

Hearing this, Yoona quietly pressed unto the propel under her feet while keeping her eyes on the road ahead of her.

 

“I told you to pull over, not pick up speed!” the Im heard another wave of angry hiss beside her.

 

It was from the tanned cop.

 

She must have been pushing the wrong buttons to agitate Yuri like this. In her peripheral view, Yoona could see her nose flaring and eyes narrowing in frustration—something she isn’t used of seeing from the other girl.

 

But she needs to do this if they wanted to get those bastards.

 

Sorry Yuri.

 

“50 meters..” Seulgi informed. And Yoona became even more alert.

 

“I said pull over, Yoona..” And at the same time, Yuri became even more persistent.

 

“30”

 

“Stop this car right now!”

 

“20”

 

“I swear to heaven I’ll jump out of this damn car if—“

 

“10”

 

“Im Yoona!”

 

“5”

 

“That’s it!”

 

“Turn!”

 

Before Yuri could even open the car door beside her, her body was forcefully swerved to the left when all of a sudden, the car veered to the right.

 

She had to thank herself for putting on the seatbelt for the first time on her lifetime.

 

And for a split second, Yuri thought Yoona was a mad girl trying to commit suicide by crashing their vehicle unto a partition full of establishments and shops.

 

Because seriously, why would she swing the car into a non-existent road in their right??

 

So Yuri was extremely startled.

 

Beyond stunned to even speak a word when she saw a backstreet squeezed between towering buildings—and they are actually steering their way through it.

 

Wide eyes, mouth ajar, Yuri snapped her head to the girl beside her.

 

Just how did she—

 

“You okay?” Yoona asked.

 

But Yuri was particularly mystified to answer the girl’s query and just left staring at her.

 

“Yuri?”

 

“Here they come, unnie..” Yoona suddenly heard Seulgi speaking over the line.

 

With this instruction, she clutched unto the steering wheel even tighter, ignoring the confused and piercing gaze of Yuri beside her.

 

She doesn’t have time to think that she might have been too revealing of what she really is when she drove and decided to help the cops out.

 

Because right now, what matters is for her to get this Kwon out of trouble.

 

Taking a glance to the still astonished lady beside her, Yoona firmly said, “Buckle up, Yuri. It’s going to be a little bumpy…”

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

Hazy.

 

Everything was still hazy for Jessica.

 

One moment, she was facing her monitors inside her room, giving information and instructions to Yoona over the phone.

 

Then she found herself gasping for air as she carry an unconscious Taeyeon towards a peaceful emergency room the next.

 

“Help! I have a wounded person here! Please help!”

 

Jessica shouted, alarming every wide awake soul inside the quiet hospital and gaining attention.

 

Luckily, nurses were too attentive and alert for cases like this, running off almost immediately after hearing such deafening dolphin cry from the petite woman.

 

“What happened to her??” one of the nurses, a female, asked calmly as she and other nurses came to view with a stretcher.

 

“Uh—uhm… sh-she was shot. She’s a-a cop and she was on a r-run after a group of ro-robbers and there’s wh-where she got this..” the flustered Jung replied, stuttering with her words as she tried to calm her nerves down with a hand massaging her temples.

 

The nurses hurriedly brought the bleeding police officer on the top of the stretcher and pushed the latter with all their might.

 

Jessica reflexively stepped forward and got herself beside the carrier, pushing it hurriedly as well.

 

She darted her eyes down to the out cold Taeyeon and got the view of her bleeding shoulders and the now all-red shirt that once smothered whiteness.

 

Jessica felt her eyes starting to form liquid at the painful sight.

 

“Hang in there, Taengoo…” she could only whisper as tears began flowing through her cheeks.

 

Her hand involuntarily crept to clasp that of Taeyeon’s cold ones and gripped it so tightly, as if doing it would make the lifeless figure to regain energy and wake up.

 

Soon, they made it to the emergency room, where Jessica was met with more white-coated folks and terrifying tubes and machines she didn’t want to know what for.

 

But there’s one thing sure.

 

They’re going to operate on Taeyeon.

 

“What happened here??”

 

Just then, a strange voice of a woman became audible, making the Jung’s chain of thoughts to be cut and avert her attention to the newcomer.

 

“We got a cop, Dr. Hwang. She was shot from an encounter with thieves she chased and it looks very bad…” one of the nurses hastily replied.

 

Dr. Hwang…

 

The said doctor immediately squeezed herself towards the patient and absorbed the view lying on the bedstead.

 

And even with her misty eyes due to that unexpected breaking of tears, Jessica saw the slightest hint of surprise and great concern on the face of the said doctor as she caught a sight of her patient.

 

Even more, Jessica firmly reassured herself that she was not hallucinating when the surgeon barely whispered to herself, “Taeyeon-ah…”

 

“Miss, you can’t stay here. Please wait outside while we operate on the patient.” The sudden instruction from a nurse stopped the Jung from dragging herself towards the doctor.

 

“But Taeyeon—“

 

“We’re gonna do everything we can to get her to safety. Now please…”

 

Having been shoved out of the room without the Jessica even noticing it, the latter could only take a last glimpse of the injured Taeyeon being hovered by the medics and life-supporting machines before the doors have closed and shut everything away from her hazel brown eyes to see.

 

And from there, Jessica started to wait.

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

“Holy sh—!!”

 

Yoona is crazy.

 

No, scratch that.

 

She’s extremely nuts.

 

Yuri was now really certain that the girl is beyond normal.

 

If it wasn’t enough to push her unto the pit of sanity with her mysterious actions a while ago, Im Yoona just had to unpredictably make her car jump out of this small alley and crash her luxurious car.

 

Yup.

 

Define crash.

 

And what else could make Yuri’s already stupefied state to disorient into painfully puzzled shards even more?

 

It’s the fact that Yoona had smashed them unto the exact car they’ve been running after—the very horde of robbers they’ve been chasing Yuri thought they lost the moment Yoona took a diversion.

 

Thunderstruck wouldn’t even be the word to describe how Yuri suffered.

 

WHACK!!!

 

It was a pretty strong collision, that’s for sure.

 

The impact made the two ramming cars to stagger away from the main road and twirl uncontrollably, making every living being inside each vans queasy and sick, both trying to steady themselves at the forceful blow and get a hold of the helm.

 

“Hold on!” Yuri heard Yoona exclaiming.

 

Even with the seemingly streak of things nauseously flashing in front of them, the almost bilious cop was able to reply back in anger.

 

“Hold on my , you punk! If I die here, I swear my ghost will make sure you’ll never get a goodnight sleep throughout the rest of your entire life! That’s a promise, Im Yoona!”

 

Yuri has to make sure not to let Yoona drive and man the wheels should this thing happen again.

 

Wait, so does this mean she wants another encounter with this unfairly gorgeous rascal??

 

“Why did I even let a kid like you drive??!! Ugh!!”

 

Yoona can’t stop herself from tugging the corner of her lips upwards, forming a genuinely happy smile that obliviously sneaked into her face when she heard how annoyed Yuri is right now.

 

Annoyed Yuri is a lot cuter than the ice-stricken one.

 

That’s for sure.

 

Then a screech.

 

An ear-blowing sound of tires terribly making contact with the tarred highway, friction and the break trying its very hard to stop the uncontrollable vehicle that seemed to be extremely untamable, eerily scratched everything under its exteriors.

 

And all of a sudden, everything became steady… and calm.

 

Too calm it would be mistaken as heaven.

 

Am I dead? Am I dead?

 

One particular raven-haired woman carefully peaked from her shut closed eyes to see if she’s still intact.

 

“I’m alive..” Yuri breathed, smiling goofily as she observed her now stable environs, different to the one she had before—screaming wildness and frenzy.

 

Everything is still now—especially the car she’s in.

 

“You’re welcome.”

 

The abruptness of her smile was as sudden to fade away as her frown to display—because it was that clumsy kid’s voice whom she heard echoing inside the car once again.

 

She turned to face the girl adjacent to her and glared, “You!”

 

But Yuri’s anger dissipated as immediate as she blurted out the words when it dawned on her the real reason why she’s with this clumsy girl in the first place.

 

“The robbers!” a small gasp escaped and her eyes widen in realization, snapping her head to the front, wanting to see what happened to those brutes after the collision.

 

She spotted the van meters away from their location, carelessly positioned in the middle of the road.

 

Yuri picked up her gun, was about to get out of the vehicle, but suddenly stopped and turned to the other creature on the driver’s seat before she can even do so.

 

“Stay here.” She firmly commanded.

 

“Oh no. I’m coming with you..” but Yoona firmly retaliated.

 

Yuri could hit the girl if she wants to. She’s starting to get into her nerves once again and it is not helping that she has damn thieves to arrest.

 

“This is not a playground for your antics, Yoona. Stay.”

 

“I’m not playing, Yuri. I’m coming with you”

 

“No! You’re staying here!”

 

“It isn’t safe out there being all alone! I wanna be there to help you!“

 

“If you really want to help, then you stay here!”

 

Things are getting heated inside the posh Audi. And those involved in the couple-like banter are heaving their lungs out for each other to understand.

 

No one dared to speak for a moment—staring at each other intently as if this would make both daunted.

 

But it was Yuri who broke the ice.

 

“The last thing I want is for you to get hurt, okay? I won’t be able to forgive myself if anything happens to you out there!”

 

 

 

Yuri was dead serious.

 

So serious that she wasn’t able to watch her words and blurt out the things she never knew lingered in her mind.

 

So Yoona was rendered speechless after hearing it. She was left staring at the cop across her with ajar.

 

She couldn’t believe her ears, Yoona even thought she was hallucinating.

 

But no.

 

It was when she saw a small blush creeping through Yuri’s cheeks that she realized she wasn’t mishearing things.

 

And so with this, Yoona felt a rush of blood filling up her silky white face too. She could feel the blast of emotions churning inside her at the recognition. Even her ears felt so hot all of a sudden.

 

She was blinking profusely.

 

“S-so you have to stay here, you got me? I’m gonna be fine. I was trained for this, Yoona..”

 

Who is Yoona to resist that puppy eyes when Yuri looked up to meet her doe ones, both coaxing and seducting her at the same time?

 

“O-okay..” was all she could muster up.

 

Where’s the girl who stubbornly argued with the Kwon awhile ago? Where’s the girl who wanted to win every quarrel she would have with the Kwon in the future?

 

She melted.

 

And Yoona doesn’t know when simple words like such began making her a wimp.

 

“Just…be careful..” she said awkwardly, turning away from the girl’s eyes that seemed so foreign for a moment.

 

In her peripheral view, she saw Yuri nod.

 

And Yoona couldn’t get herself to look back. She doesn’t know why.

 

The Im only turned herself when she heard the door of the car opening and closing, indicating that the cop had already took off.

 

Just then, she heard a whistle sounding through her ears.

 

“Was that your woman, handsome unnie?? Wow! She’s something..”

 

It was Seulgi and her never ending shenanigans.

 

“That ain’t my woman, kid” Not yet.

 

“Omo! She isn’t?? Gaah! So that means I still have a chance on you handsome unnie??”

 

Yoona could only scrunch her brows in amazement. This bear is surely something.

 

“Wha—no! You’re too young for me… And would you stop calling me handsome??”

 

“No one’s too young for love, unnie.. And I’ll only stop calling you handsome if you stop being one, you know…”

 

Yoona shook her head with a small smile lingering on her lips. What a Romeo this kid is.

 

“Casanova moves, Seulgi, doesn’t work on me. Too bad…”

 

“Kids don’t lie unnie.”

 

“And you’re not a kid. Now, let’s stop this chitchat and get back to work bear..” Yoona turned her attention towards the figure of the Kwon who was carefully making her way towards the car of robbers.

 

“.. I have a puppy to attend to”

 

 

 

***

 

 

“Get out of the car right now!” Yuri was yelling.

 

She was yelling her heart out when she saw a glimpse of the robbers stirring out from a knock out after the strong crash. Estimating the number of figures she could see moving inside the severed vehicle, Yuri counted three.

 

She is basically outnumbered.

 

With her arms stretched, raising her rifle towards the direction of the thieves and her eyes on alert for any sudden movement should the bad guys do, Yuri tried to keep calm.

 

She reminded herself that she was trained for this—that it was even normal for her to be in this kind of situation. There were far worse things that she encountered in the past to which she almost lost body parts and whatnot including her polished nails. Thus, encounters with robbers are minor.

 

She is a cop after all.

 

“Throw your guns away and get your damn asses out of the car!” Yuri yelled again, taking a careful, bolder step towards the unmoving vehicle with her gun on position.

 

She unconsciously swallowed an unknown lump in when she saw a sudden halt on the movement of the awakening thieves, adding a sense of pressure and anxiety in the already havoc state of the cop.

 

She wouldn’t want to know what they are planning to do next.

 

Yuri tries to maintain her composure, knowing how panic wouldn’t help her in this kind of situation. She needs to be vigilant to save her out of this between-life-and-death scene.

 

Good thing she was able to convince the clumsy Yoona to stay inside the car.

 

She cannot imagine how she could get herself pacified with the thought of the girl being hurt trying to help her vis-à-vis the idea of her dying of multiple gunshots from the robbers or from being run over by the van they are riding.

 

Gaah! She’s starting to be delirious with this hassle she is in.

 

If only Taeyeon was here to help her out.

 

Tsk.

 

Where is Sooyoung when she needed her?!

 

Just then, in a distance, she started hearing a blaring sound of a police alarm, blasting through the street coupled with the rough noise of engines. Yuri swiftly turned her eyes towards the direction of the sound and there she saw a bunch of police cars driving towards their location.

 

Alert, Yuri snapped her head back towards the now conscious thieves inside the car and saw that they have caught the same sound the cop heard.

 

The Kwon was now ready for anything.

 

At that moment, her quick eyes grasped that the thugs began freaking out, the driver scrambling to get a hold of the key to start the engine and the others bawling their hearts out.

 

“! Make it faster dude! The police are coming!!” one of them shouted.

 

Quickly, Yuri lowered her gun and pointed it towards the front wheels of the van.

 

BANG!

 

BANG!

 

A hissing sound immediately rang after the gunshots and soon, the well-rounded exteriors of the vehicle flattened and perforated.

 

Yuri sensed the infuriation on the part of the thieves.

 

She just crippled their chances of running away again.

 

Immediately, the one on the passenger’s seat angrily pointed a rifle towards the Kwon through the glasses. He was huffing in rage.

 

The cop smirked smugly.

 

Soon, gunshots were heard.

 

 

 

***

 

 

Red.

 

Everything was red.

 

From the very hands that carried the bleeding Taeyeon, the shirt she was wearing, to the pair of eyes that had been reeking of tears for some time now.

 

Jessica doesn’t know how long she has been staring vacantly on a wall, motionless for since who knows when after Taeyeon was brought inside the emergency room.

 

Two hours?

 

Five?

 

She doesn’t have any idea.

 

And she doesn’t want to know.

 

Because all she wanted is to see Taeyeon—alive and breathing.

 

“Are you Miss Kim Taeyeon’s family?” a voice suddenly interrupted Jessica on her reverie, snapping her head up to catch a sight of the person.

 

It was a nurse.

 

Jessica immediately stood up and wiped the tear stained face that she got. “I-I’m not a family. But I’m the one who brought her here..”

 

The nurse nodded in understanding. But Jessica needs more than just a nod from her.

 

“H-how is she?? Is she alright??” Worry and great concern was the very words to describe how Jessica sounded. Her eyes are too troubled.

 

“The doctor would be the one to tell you that, Miss. You can go and see her. She’s inside with the patient.” Was the only reply she got from the nurse.

 

This escalated the anxiety in Jessica even more.

 

Why can’t she just tell her??

 

But Jessica obliged all the same. She barely nodded and bowed her slightly when the nurse excused herself and walked away.

 

Her eyes caught sight of the door that separates her and Taeyeon. Behind this would either be the cause of her relief or the reason for her break down.

 

You can’t die, Taeyeon. You can’t!

 

This was Jessica’s constant chant inside her head as she slowly made her way towards the room, fidgeting and nervous of what she will see inside.

 

She is not ready to see whatever it is.

 

She pushed the two-sided door, making a creaking sound as she did.

 

With an uneasy state, Jessica inhaled deeply before stepping inside the chamber.

 

There.

 

There she saw Taeyeon asleep, connected to her are tubes and machines that Jessica sees in movies and dramas.

 

Heck, seeing it in person is dreadful. You just don’t know if they are really there to keep your person alive or otherwise because of their terrifying beeps and forms.

 

But Jessica was thankful.

 

This means Taeyeon is breathing, though unconscious.

 

Long forgotten was the thought of seeing the doctor and ask her about Taeyeon’s state for Jessica deemed seeing just this picture of the cop fighting for her life is enough.

 

At least she didn’t give up.

 

Getting herself on Taeyeon’s bedside, Jessica was still amazed how a damaged lady like the cop could be this charming and alluring even with her eyes closed.

 

This view just made the Jung reach out and grip Taeyeon’s free hand tenderly. She caressed every inch of the patient’s very hand, thanking someone from above for giving her this second chance to be with the midget.

 

After their small confrontation days before, Jessica didn’t see the cop.

 

She just couldn’t get herself to move on and forget about the incident, play with other and addicts like she used to.

 

It was almost disgusting just thinking about it.

 

The incident with Taeyeon was the only matter occupying her mind these days. Fair enough, she cannot shrug the topic off.

 

Especially when she knew how every word Taeyeon voiced screamed reality.

 

“Hi..” a woman’s voice cut off Jessica’s train of thoughts.

 

She turned her attention towards the direction of the voice… and saw that it was the doctor awhile ago.

 

Same height, warm aura, eye smile.

 

That were the few of the first impression of the Jung on the lady donned in white. Pretty was an insult to label her.

 

“I am Dr. Tiffany Hwang, the one who operated on Miss Kim..” she smiled. Jessica could only stare.

 

“You must be her girlfriend..” the doctor continued, and this time Jessica was sure to give an answer.

 

“A-aniya. I-I’m not.. W-were not like that..” she shook her head.

 

And something on the doctor’s nod made her feel… scrutinized?

 

“H-how is she?? Is she alright?” Jessica repeated her anxious question.

 

“Well, we have removed the bullets out from her and stitched her up. Although, a lot of blood was lost perhaps because it took some time before she was brought here. But it was a good timing you got there, so you don’t have to worry. She will be fine in days time.”

 

Jessica couldn’t stop herself from sighing out loud, a smile making a way out from her lips, when she heard the good news from the doctor. She was too happy to care.

 

“Thank you. Thank you so much…” Jessica breathed, smiling like she had won the lottery.

 

The doctor had to smile back to that. It was too mesmerizing not to.

 

“It’s my job to save lives, dear. I’m glad to help..”

 

Jessica turned her eyes back to the sleeping patient and smiled. She cannot wait to see those hazel brown orbs to stare back at her again.

 

The doctor, too, turned herself and started to walk away. But Jessica’s call halted her from continuing.

 

“Wait!”

 

Dr. Hwang stopped on her step and looked back, “Yes?”

 

Jessica hesitated at first. She was about to ask a petty thing—too small to even mention.

 

But her curiosity is eating her up.

 

“J-just… A while ago, when Taeyeon was brought here and you came… You just.. looked so surprised and so worried…”

 

The doctor smiled “Every doctor would react like that if she sees a bleeding person, right?”

 

But Jessica has something more to say, “I know. But then you uttered Taeyeon’s name out of the blue and that just startled me. Do you…do you happen to know her?”

 

Just what is wrong with her tongue that she keeps stuttering??? Jessica asked herself.

 

The doctor remained staring at Jessica for a while, her eyes glued at those of the Jung, boring holes through her.

 

And Jessica reciprocated the stare, not wanting to lose this non-existent staring contest between them.

 

The doctor was the first one to speak. “Are you sure you’re really not her girlfriend?”

 

Jessica raised a brow. Where is this conversation heading?

 

“No… I’m not..” sure.

 

The doctor then smiled, but it wasn’t an arrogant one. It was full of affectionate and memories that Jessica was afraid she’s gonna see a flash of them through her eyes.

 

Turning on her heels, her back now facing the Jung, Dr. Hwang answered the inquiry, making Jessica Jung stunned.

 

“I’m Taeyeon’s fiancé.”

 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

A/N:

 

@yoona_lim’s comment @yulyulk’ post: I don’t know whether this person is Kon Nyuri-nim or Bae Jungyeonie-nim

@yulyulk’s comment: @yoona_lim: Bae KonJung… I don’t know either. Yoongie-yah, I miss you.. Let’s not chat on Kakaotalk, instead let’s have an offline date

 

@jessica.syj: Jessi time~

@taeyeon_ss: Taeng time~

 

(credits: soshistagramtrans)

 

Just sharing this to troopers and unbreakables ^^ Hihihi. Aren’t they the cutest?? Gahh! I’m fangirling! YoonYul, offline date is a must! :D Write me something about this update? Fighting! :)