Emotions

Catch Me If You Can

A bored Jessica is slouching on the couch, staring at the closed TV across the room. She woke up without an Im Yoona inside the condominium and she probably guessed that her partner was again doing that tiring jog she regularly does.

 

The girl tried convincing her to have an exercise but the blonde is too lazy to do that. She’d rather stay in her computer all day long or just sleep. That’s Jessica Jung for you.

 

Just then, a beep was heard from her room. A beep coming from this place means a lot of things that regards their job so hearing this, Jessica immediately stood up and walked towards her lair.

 

Inside, you can see a bunch of flat screen computer monitors connected on each other hanging on the wall, opposite the Jung’s king-sized bed. Three sets of keyboards are resting on the desk under the hanging monitors and various wires are linking them to the latter.

 

On each monitor are different images of different places where the Jung has an access of. Most of the VDT’s displays random places in Seoul and some nearby towns. Subways, a busy road somewhere in the city, a mall, a restaurant—almost everywhere. There are also screens that capture their front door, the kitchen, the living room, the balcony, Yoona’s room and hers. A very helpful medium for hired killers like them, isn’t it?

 

 Clicking one button, an envelope icon was seen by the blonde on the nearest monitor. She  dragged the arrow to the icon and numbers appeared on the screen. The Jung rested her left elbow above the table and put her chin on the gap between her thumb and the index finger while her other hand grips the mouse. She carefully reads the data on the monitor and analyzes it, crunching her eyes on the process.

 

“This is a heck of an amount, Kim. You really want to rub your wealth on Yoona's face, huh? Well good luck with that.” Jessica smirked, knowing the efforts of their contracting party to let her partner stay in the job.

 

She and Yoona had talked about their future plans; especially that their contract with the filthy tycoon Kim Young Min will be expiring after two months.

 

Jessica seems to be enjoying things as they are right now especially that it gives her plenty of wealth to spend. Although she never needed it since her parents own a big marketing group in US, she likes to spend the money that comes from her own endeavors. Long story short, Jessica Jung liked her job.

 

But Yoona. Yoona has been contemplating whether she should continue her job or not and Jessica surely knows why. Her dongsaeng was pushed to do the job during the last four years because of her ill youngest sister, Hannah. The two of them were raised in an orphanage and Yoona loved her sister so dearly. She’s the only family she left and she cannot afford to lose her. So in order to support her sister’s medication, she signed up for the job.

 

But now that her sister’s health is far from getting better and the doctor giving her less than a year to live, Yoona is eager to quit the job and take care of her sister for her remaining days.

 

Jessica sighed, remembering the scenario when she and the Im went to visit Hannah in the hospital a week prior to their mission.

 

Yoona and Jessica had walked out from the Im’s black Chevrolet Camaro. The doe-eyed girl parked it somewhere in the huge parking lot of the hospital with a serious expression all over her face and the blonde never failed to notice it.

 

“Hey, Yoona.” The blonde called, having the Im by her side walking towards the entrance of the hospital.

 

“Hmm?” the girl hummed, not minding to turn her head to the blonde beside her.

 

“Hannah is going to be fine, okay? With all the technology and advanced medications today, nothing is impossible.” Patting the shoulder of the worried Im.

 

Jessica heard a sigh.

 

“But it’s leukemia, Sica. And it’s been a hell of four years since she got that stupid disease but she’s not getting better.” Yoona said, exasperation obvious in her tone.

 

Jessica walked infront of the girl that made her stop from her steps. She cupped her sulking face and looked right into her eyes.

 

“Hey hey. That’s not the Im Yoona I know. Where’s that optimistic and cheerful dongsaeng that I have?”

 

“But Sica—“

 

“Listen to me Yoong. Hannah will be fine and you will be together for the rest of your lives. Happy and healthy.”

 

Yoona sighed, showing the older a small smile.

 

“Okay. Happy and healthy.”

 

Jessica smiled and the two of them continued their way to Hannah’s room.

 

“You think she’ll like these fruits I bought?” the blonde spoke, raising the basket of healthy stuff as she looked at it.

 

The Im smiled warmly and ruffled her partner’s blonde hair beside her.

 

“Paboo. Everything that you brought her makes her happy and you know that. It sometimes makes me jealous, you know. She never beams so bright when it comes to my gifts unlike the ones you give her.” Yoona pouted a little.

 

“Aigoo. Your sister thinks I’m beautiful, that’s why.” The ice-princess replied confidently, smirking as she saw Yoona cringe at the words.

 

“Who are you kidding?”

 

“You know I am not kidding, babe”

 

The two of them continued bickering until they reached the corridor towards Hannah’s room. It was a lonely-empty hallway and Yoona immediately felt sad, knowing how miserable it is for her sister to be here without an unnie to take care of her. The noisy Im became silent once again.

 

Opening the door, Yoona and Jessica found the doctor who was in-charge of Hannah and a nurse, checking the girl who was fast asleep. With gloomy eyes, Yoona walked in and greeted the people inside.

 

“Good morning, Dr. Seo.”

 

The said doctor turned her head at the mention of her name.

 

“Oh Yoona, hello.” The polite physician showed a small smile and bowed, doing the same to Jessica who was behind the Im.

 

“How is she doc?” the worried unnie asked, standing on the edge of the bed, near Hannah’s feet with Jessica beside her.

 

The nurse who had checked the patient’s vital statistics bowed to the people and eventually left the room—leaving the doctor to explain things to Yoona and Jessica.

 

“Yoona it’s hard for me to say this but… I’m afraid Hannah will not be able to see the first snow.”

 

Hearing this, Yoona’s eyes immediately became misty. All of her strength felt like evaporating every second that passes and gripping on the edge of the bed was not enough to make her stand still.

 

“Her body stopped absorbing the medicine and it’s difficult to let her eat nowadays. She had grown weaker and weaker especially that the cancer cells had spread all throughout her body. At this stage, it’s a blessing that she’s still here with us.”

 

And just like that, the rare crying Yoona teared up. Rolling down her cheeks are the tears of misery and forlorn as she processed the information given to her.

 

“Less than a year. And I’m afraid it could be lesser. You have less than a year to be with her. She’s been strong for the past four years, Yoona. I think she’s been strong enough.” Dr. Seo said, bowing her head sadly and left the room with heavy shoulder.

 

Jessica saw how Yoona shattered into pieces after hearing the news. If not because of her strong support on the edge of the bed, the Im was long gone sprawled on the floor with her broken heart, with her broken soul.

 

“Yoong..”

 

“It’s all over, Sica.”

 

And Jessica knew that a hug is not enough to erase Yoona’s misery. But despite the insufficiency of the action to mend the Im’s broken heart, nevertheless, Jessica embraced the deer with all of her might—making the doe-eyed girl wail silently in the arms of the ice-princess.

 

 

TOOT. TOOT.

 

A clicking sound was heard by the zoning out Jessica. She looked up on one of the monitors hanging on the wall and an image of an Im entering the front door was seen by the blonde. Soon, Yoona’s call was audible.

 

“Sica? I’m home! Are you still sleeping?”

 

“I’m in my room, Yoong!”

 

Rustles were heard and soon a figure popped out.

 

“Hey. I went out to go jogging.” Yoona said, wiping her face with a towel as she spoke.

 

“Where else would you go, anyway?”

 

Yoona just stared as Jessica stood up from her seat and walked towards the deer.

 

“Have you eaten?” the blonde asked, walking passed the Im who was leaning herself on the door frame.

 

Yoona had this thoughtful look in her face—remembering the incident that happened in the coffee shop. She was not able to have a decent meal after that stupid robber popping out from nowhere—and meeting the cop Kwon Yuri for the second time today—so a home-made breakfast by the ice-princess will be appreciated.

 

“I’ll take that as a no. ” the blonde spoke from the kitchen that was already bringing out some eggs and bacon from the fridge.

 

Yoona smiled contentedly, feeling so loved by her partner Jessica Jung. The blonde surely knows the girl in so many aspects and the deer was surely aware of that.

 

The tall girl then followed the blonde to the kitchen and settled herself in one of the seats at the table. The smile all over her face was still not faltering as she observes the cooking Jung. And seeing how her dongsaeng looked so blissful is quite new for the blonde that if she could raise her brow up to her crown, Jessica could have done it.

 

“What’s that smile?”

 

Yoona looked up and flashed her cutest curious face ever, her smile still plastered on her face that one may say she’s loosing it.

 

“Hmm?”

 

That grin. Jessica knew it was not just an ordinary grin. This kind of grin is reserved only for those memorable moments for the Im that seeing Yoona smile this way made the ice-princess bloom in curiosity even more.

 

“Im Yoona. What’s the meaning of that smile?”

 

The younger girl could only swallow her lips as she chuckled at the blatancy of her actions. Well, the famous adage never disappoints anyone: action speaks louder than words.

 

“I-yah. I met her. In person. I met the cop we saw through the monitors. In the park.”

 

A gasp roared, indicating a possible—

 

“Hold it. Don’t you dare cry your dolphin scream right infront of me, Sica”

 

Yoona warned, cutting the incoming danger from the blonde’s dolphin scream. She’s very much aware how capable Jessica’s scream is that it can burst every, and she means every, single glass they have in their place—including her fragile emotion that can change anytime. She’s afraid that Jessica’s shout could shut the eagerness she’s feeling as of the moment, and replace it with annoyance.

 

With a hard shut lips quivering in an attempt to stop her menacing dolphin scream (which she’s very much aware of), Jessica hardly swallowed every single hint of her deadly shout back into her stomach.

 

And Yoona sighed in relief.

 

“Aish!”

 

The Im just giggled. Well, she believed that it took everything in the blonde to stop herself from bursting out so plus point for that, Jessica.

 

“Stupid Im and your first meeting with that raven haired cop!” hissed the blonde who is now hardly beating the egg on a bowl, not stopping the deer to grin for herself.

 

“How did you meet her, anyway? Have you been stalking her?”

 

Surprised, Yoona scoffed lightly at the words. She? The never-been-in-loved Im Yoona will stalk a very beautiful raven haired police officer? No. Never. Hell no.

 

“Of course not. It was a coincidence that we met and that’s only it. Definitely a coincidence.”

 

 

(on the other side of Seoul)

 

 

“It was not purely a coincidence, Taeyeon! That girl was seriously stalking me! I mean she was there in the park and then she went to the coffee shop. Like, ugh! I can’t even talk straight right now because of that clumsy girl!” Yuri ranted, walking back and forth the space infront of her office desk.

 

Taeyeon has been staring at her blabbering bestfriend for a couple of minutes now and in as much as she wanted to shush the girl, she can’t. It’s been years since the girl had talked something else other than police matters and Taeyeon is feeling rather overjoyed and nostalgic at the scene.

 

“And you know what, she kept smirking and grinning at me, fluttering her dangerously cute doe-eyes like she knows nothing about us meeting for the second time today. Oh yes! We met twice today! Twice, Taeyeon-ah!”

 

Yuri tried to sound calm and cold but her girly squeal in every end of her statement just makes it hard. Every time she remembers the image of the skinny doe-eyed girl, her blood boils in anger.

 

“Okay so you clearly hates this girl because….?” the midget finally asked, seeing this as an opportunity to speak as the tanned girl occupied herself in rubbing her fuming temples.

 

Yuri looked up, gazing at the anticipating kid leader who was seated on the couch of her office. She hates that girl because… because… because UGH! She can’t even explain it.

 

But no. Kwon Yuri never spoke nothing. She surely knows why she hated the girl that much and if it will consume all of her adrenaline to convert her hatred into words and explain it to Taeyeon, then bring it on.

 

“Because she’s arrogant, clumsy, overtly self-confident, conceited…”

 

“And overwhelmingly beautiful” added Taeyeon with a shrug. But Yuri decided to ignore the words since she herself also finds the girl stunningly gorgeous. She just doesn’t admit it out loud.

 

“And oh! She called me ahjumma for spider’s sake! This figure? An ahjumma?! Ha! And she didn’t even apologize that she had bumped into me and easily accused me that I was the one who crashed into her! I was there, happily humming SNSD’s newest ballad song Girls while trying to maintain my figure with a run when suddenly out of nowhere, she came out and bumped me! And I fell to my . Hard. That hurt!”

 

Taeyeon sighed, pinching the bridge of her nose on the process. It’s been years since she saw this kind of Yuri that seeing her like this right now made the kid-leader anxious on what she should do.

 

“Okay. I totally get what’s your point, Yul. You hate her. But you have to admit; she helped you arrest that fat robber and ensured the customers’ safety in the café.” The short girl pointed out.

 

And yes. In as much as Yuri hated the fact, Yoona had helped her capture the culprit who ruined her appetite for the Ma juice. If not because of that girl, although Yuri believed that she can handle it herself, something worse could have happened if without her aid.

 

The black pearl only snorted.

 

“I could handle it myself, anyway. I don’t need her help.”

 

Taeyeon just chuckled at the childishness of her best friend who went to her desk and took a seat at her office chair. When was the last time Yuri admitted out loud that she can handle a culprit all by herself though she’s very much aware that she can?

 

Never. This was the first time.

 

And Taeyeon is getting more curious as to who is this ‘clumsy’ girl that made her best friend talk and act like this that would have taken years for others to do so.

 

After receiving a call from Yuri, the Kim immediately rushed to the coffee shop where she usually visits. A robbery was reported by her bestfriend and she cannot believe that a culprit would rob something as simple as the First Meeting coffee shop—early in the morning. Criminals nowadays really don’t have essence of time with them.

 

“Yul!” Taeyeon called, entering the café rather sharp.

 

“Taeyeon-ah.”

 

The Kim immediately saw her best friend with a handcuffed man being guarded beside her.

 

“Is this him?”

 

Yuri nodded and looked at the man coldly who had just flinched in fear after receiving a deadly glare from the cop. There were two other police officers who came inside and the black pearl handed them the culprit.

 

“Let’s go. What a lazy, stout man you are who only knows how to rob a coffee shop.” One of the officers uttered while walking away from the two policewomen.

 

Yuri and Taeyeon just gazed at the two cops dragging away the robber and into the police car.

 

“How about you. Are you okay?” the midget suddenly asked, turning her head back to the tanned girl who is still as cold as ice.

 

“I’m fine, Tae. Don’t worry about me.”

 

Suddenly a loud cry was heard by the two cops.

 

“Tae-tae!” followed by a loud thud.

 

Sunny the cashier had climbed onto the embrace of the short cop, surprising both the cold Kwon and the skinny doe-eyed girl who was leaning against the counter all this time.

 

“You know each other?” YoonYul asked in unison. They briefly glanced on each other and looked away with weird looks. The one with a glare while the one with a smirk.

 

Struggling to get away from the hard grasp of the cashier to her short neck, Taeyeon grunted in answer.

 

“Yah! Get off me!”

 

Obedient for this once, Sunny got off the annoyed Taeyeon and pouted.

 

“I was so scared, Tae-tae. I thought I’m gonna die and will not see you again.” Sunny said, her eyes a little teary with the thought.

 

Oh yes. Taeyeon forgot that this shorty has a huge crush on her since she became a regular in the café last month. She avoided coming in the coffee shop because of the infatuation she receives from Sunny every time she comes. But today was an exemption. The place just became a crime scene.

 

“Nothing happened anyway. Everyone’s fine including you. Not a big deal.” Taeyeon shrugged, knowing that the shorter girl will eventually leave if she acts this way.

 

“Sunny-ssi, you don’t have to worry. The SPD will make sure that nothing happens like this again.” Yuri answered, giving the pouting Lee Soonkyu a warm smile.

 

The cashier appreciated the kindness of the black pearl and turned her gloom into a thankful smile.

 

“Thank you, Yuri-ssi. If it was not because of you, all of us could have died.”

 

“Pfft. All she ever did was to handcuff the fat guy. I was the one who attacked him. Logically, I was the one who saved your lives, not her Sunny-ah.” The Im blurted all of a sudden, gaining the attention of the three conversing women.

 

The girl arrogantly walked towards them and nudges the cashier Sunny.

 

“Yah. You should thank me not her, you know”

 

Yuri and Sunny scoffed at the doe-eyed girl with unbelievable look written all over their faces. Their gaze met that of the self-praising Yoona who was wearing a small pout on her lips. Taeyeon could only stare at the girl in curiosity.

 

“Oh shut up, Yoona. Officer Kwon here is the one who handcuffed the robber, leaving him defenseless and offenseless. If without her, the man could have run away.” Sunny snickered.

 

“Tss. Whatever. I’ll be going then. It hurts that no one appreciates me despite risking my life for the lives of you people.” Yoona acted upset, making a hurt expression on her face.

 

But Sunny didn’t buy the drama queen Yoona and just pushed her to leave.

 

“Yeah, yeah. Just go. You’re not needed here anymore.”

 

But before the Im could be pushed away by the short girl, she paused at the front of the staring Kwon cop.

 

“Nice meeting you, beautiful. We will see each other again some other time” the deer said with a smirk and left, leaving the Kwon Yuri huff in irritation and glare in anger.

 

Taeyeon recalled the scene awhile ago. She finds the girl brave enough to smirk and say taunting words to her bestfriend. She knew that even those people who doesn’t know Yuri would actually feel intimidated and feared at her.

 

Taeyeon knew that the tanned girl’s aura is like that of a cold-blooded mammal that her simple stare would bring their gazes anywhere but her. That’s why she’s known as the cold Kwon by everybody and although Taeyeon wanted them to tell them that her bestfriend is nothing near the words they describe her, she knew they would not understand. Why? Because that’s just simply how people’s minds work and she cannot force them to believe otherwise.

 

But the girl. The girl in the coffee shop was different. She was way different to other people who easily judge her bestfriend the way they see her on the outside. Taeyeon saw right through the girl’s big doe-eyes that she was neither intimidated nor feared by the Kwon’s presence. What she saw was pure fondness and interest towards her bestfriend—but do not misunderstand the words.

 

It was not like that drooling gawks of the jerks and even some of the cops in SPD whose eyes immediately bulge out their sockets when Yuri would walk pass them. Hell no. The girl’s stare was unbelievably warm and affectionate. A very meaningful stare, Taeyeon thought.

 

“What was her name again? Something like Yoona, right?”

 

“I don’t know. And I don’t care.” Yuri said coldly, turning back to her old self once again.

 

Yoona is a pretty name for a pretty girl like her. One of Yuri’s neurons that goes by the name neuron1 pointed out, which was immediately smacked by another neuron, neuron2.

 

Shut up. Our boss hates her so we have to hate her too. It said, earning a grunt from neuron1.

 

Oh shush. Why can’t you admit it? The girl was explicitly gorgeous and I bet our boss lik—

 

SMACK!

 

Shut up! She might hear you!

 

KNOCK. KNOCK. KNOCK.

 

“Come in.” the raven haired girl commanded, her gaze not leaving the papers she was reading on her hands.

 

A young police officer appeared with a pile of paper with him. He placed it above the Kwon’s desk lightly, making the black pearl look up.

 

“What’s this?”

 

“Initial reports of the MyungYeong Hotel murder case, Inspector. The autopsy results are still on the process and the Forensics will be sending it by the end of tomorrow.”

 

Yuri nodded, briefly reading the new documents she has to study and analyze.

 

“Thanks, Minho. You can go now.”

 

But instead of leaving, the young cop named Minho remained glued to where he was standing. He looked like he did not hear what the senior officer commanded.

 

Noticing that the man hasn’t moved a bit, Yuri looked up once again. This time with a slight frown.

 

“Did you not hear me?”

 

“You’re getting prettier each time I see you, Noona. How about a date with me?”

 

Taeyeon’s scoffed didn’t even make the young cop falter his confidence. In fact, his smirk even grew bigger after hearing a reaction from the midget inspector. But Yuri stayed staring at the guy and was not showing any expression on her face. She just gazed seriously.

 

“And what makes you think you deserve a yes from me?”

 

“Well. I am pretty attractive, clever, sweet, caring, and I am every girl’s dream. What do you say, Noona?”

 

The Kwon then smirked, making Taeyeon raise her prying eyebrows and the sly grin on Minho’s face to fade. It was the infamous arrogant and cold smirk that made people fear the Kwon ever since.

 

“Then I think you should ask yourself out, Minho. A girl like you would really love having someone like you. Attractive. Clever. Sweet. Caring. I’m pretty sure you can live happily ever after having yourself all by yourself. Wait. Do I make any sense?” Yuri said, followed by a small chuckle at the end of her statement.

 

Taeyeon could only shook her head as she grinned, proud of her bestfriend for knocking some sense in the head of the bigheaded cop. He was totally swollen with pride for asking out the most feared woman in the police department. Ever since they were moved in the SPD last month, a lot of hopeful suitors tried asking her bestfriend out and one of the most bothersome is this Minho guy.

 

The self-conceited cop then turned his gaze to the laughing Taeyeon and back to the smirking Yuri infront with a hint of shame and resentment.

 

“Now go, Minho. I think you’re clever enough to know my answer to your question.” The black pearl spoke, her attention now focused back to the papers she was reading a while ago.

 

And with a grunt, the poor guy rushed out of the Kwon’s office with what was left in his pride.

 

After making sure that the guy was already out of sight, Taeyeon stood up from her seat and walked towards Yuri. Her dimples were showing when she raised her hands, wanting a high-five from the infamous heartbreaker. And the Kwon willingly did so with a smile.

 

“Now that’s Kwon Yuri for me! Ha! I’ve been wanting to punch that kid since the first time we came here. He has this different kind of aura that irritates me whenever he’s around.” Taeyeon said, crossing her arms across her chest in gladness.

 

Yuri just shook her head with a smile as she heard the words. She cannot deny the fact that a lot of the guys in their department checks on her and asks her out sometimes. In fact, she even gets flowers and love letters being delivered to her office or apartment from anonymous suitors. But of course, she’s too smart to accept them.

 

In as much as she thinks she is old enough to date, she doesn’t want to. One of the reasons is the bad memory of her past, that’s for sure. That is always counted. And the other is because she’s just too dedicated to her work to have someone who’ll only be a distraction anyway. She is too focused in being a cop that having a significant other is something that is not significant to her anymore.

 

That’s why she could only turn down the offers she gets as of the moment.

 

“He needed that, you know. He was too busy finding the right girl in me when all he was looking for was in him.”

 

Taeyeon’s ahjumma laugh filled the Kwon’s office that made Yuri’s wall fall down a bit.

 

“That was right for him. He is a bag of air full of arrogance and he needed some help to pop him out of his delusion.”

 

Yuri chuckled at the words of her bestfriend. Well, it was true. The guy was too proud for his own good. And Yuri herself was intending to teach him a lesson even before. She just couldn’t have the right timing until today.

 

“You know, this calls for a celebration.” Taeyeon suggested with a bright beam on her face.

 

“Celebration?” Yuri’s brows cocked in question. What is there to celebrate?

 

“Well, you just got someone among the millions of your suitors off your sleeves. That’s an accomplishment Yuri.”

 

“I don’t think it is enough reason to celebrate, Taeng.”

 

“Oh come on, Yul! Just this once.”

 

The midget insisted with an aegyo that made the black pearl cringe in response. It’s very rare to see her bestfriend showing this side of her and it makes the end of her hair to stand.

 

“Ugh. Don’t show me your aegyo, Taengoo. It’s creepy.” Taeyeon let out a hearty laugh that showed her cute dimples.

 

“So, is that a yes?”

 

“Now you sound like asking me out too.”

 

“Well, I miss bonding with my bestfriend. It’s been a long time since we hang out with each other and just enjoy each other’s company.” The tone in Taeyeon’s voice rang in Yuri’s ear that made her observe her bestfriend for a while.

 

The girl was seriously looking a bit down in the dumps along with a small pout in her lips that Yuri knew was all not a joke. She wanted to refuse but seeing Taeyeon in such a somber state somehow changed her mind. The midget has been with her for her entire life and if there was someone who she would not turn down, it was Taeyeon.

 

Being a friend of Yuri was not easy—the tanned girl herself was certain of it. She is a temperamental and grumpy person that everyone who wants to befriend her would leave when they would know her personality. It was only Taeyeon who never left her side from the very beginning. It was only Taeyeon who could understand her tantrums and mood swings. And it was only Taeyeon who truly knows the true Kwon Yuri.

 

The warm, kind-hearted, sweet and fragile Kwon Yuri.

 

“Where will we celebrate?”

 

Taeyeon’s face immediately lit up. Yuri showed her a very pleasing smile as her bestfriend looked like a kid who had just gotten herself a favor in going to a theme park.

 

“Just let me take care of it.”

 

                                              

***

 

Jessica slowly chews her food across the eating Yoona. The younger girl’s smile went down a bit since awhile ago, probably thinking a lot of things again.

 

The Jung knew that her pal thinks a lot ever since. Inside that thick skull of the Im, Jessica believed that there is where brilliant ideas and exceptional intelligence linger. Although the blonde deemed that she herself is a witty person, she can’t deny the fact that Yoona is way cleverer than her. And with this, Jessica was more than honored to be the girl’s partner in crime.

 

But being her partner also takes a toll on the blonde. Since the girl is always contemplating and most of the time a silent person, it takes a lot of courage for the infamous ice-princess to get her attention. Although the Im never really spit out bitter words at her (which the Jung will be willing to answer back if any), the never trembling Jessica is afraid that she will speak the wrong words. Or what she will tell the other girl will break her already fragile heart.

 

“You’re exceptionally quiet. What is it that you want to tell me?” Yoona spoke, her big doe-eyes gazed up from her food.

 

And then it hit Jessica. This is Im Yoona she is with. The ever mind-reader Im Yoona. Who could hide something away from the girl?

 

“They have wired the money.”

 

“How much?”

 

“Five hundred thousand dollars.”

 

Jessica was not surprised to see the girl just shrugged at the enormous amount registered in her bank account.

 

“It’s all yours.” And the Jung blinked.

 

“I have my own share, Yoona. You know that.”

 

“I will not be needing that money anymore. Take it.”

 

“You are certainly aware that I don’t even need to do this just so I can have this lump sum in my check.”

 

“Then give it back to them.”

 

Jessica exhaled noisily, looking intently at the younger girl. The Im knew that the older was staring at her, probably trying to get her attention.

 

Yoona is beyond thankful for having someone like Jessica. She is like a rock for the Im whenever she was down. After meeting her and getting to know the older, Yoona considered Jessica a family already. Sometimes a mother who will scold her; a father to tell her how to act in some things; a sister who would take care of her; a brother who would be telling her to watch with her—almost a whole package. So besides her dearly beloved Hannah, Yoona regards the Jung as her own blood. And with this Yoona means she doesn’t want to offend or hurt Jessica in one way or another.

 

“I’m sorry, Sica. But I am intending to not accept pay from now on. I believe they have given me enough riches that’ll last until I die. Additional money means another debt I have to pay. You know that I will stop doing this after two months and I don’t want them to think that I’ll be renewing my contract.”

 

“You do know that they have given a very big amount to buy your service, right?”

 

“I do. And I won’t fall for it. I made up my mind and that will be it.”

 

The blonde nodded. She knew that when Yoona decides on something, she will really act on it. And no one can make her change her mind.

 

“I’m with you with whatever you think is good for you. Just promise me to be cautious enough. You know how powerful Kim Young Min is and how dirty he plays the game so as to maintain on top. He’ll do anything to get what he wants.”

 

“He can get anything he wants, but not me. Not anymore.”

 

 

***

 

 

The loud banging of music and dazzling colorful lights irked the not so socialized Kwon Yuri. Taeyeon decided to bring her in this nightclub after she agreed on spending the time with her bestfriend for a ‘celebration’. She knew she should have not trusted the girl when she said she’ll take care of it.

 

“This is your best place to celebrate?”  Yuri shouted, the deafening music made it hard for her to hear herself.

 

Taeyeon laughed, and Yuri was sure it was an ahjumma laugh she could have heard if the surroundings are bit toned down.

 

“Oh come on, Yul! Just this once! Come on!”

 

The black pearl had no choice but to spend the night here. She has a low level of alcohol tolerance but maybe a couple of glass would not hurt. After all, Taeyeon is here to take her home when she gets a little bit tipsy.

 

With this, Taeyeon dragged her bestfriend to one of the unoccupied tables.

 

“I’ll get us some drink, Yul. Wait here.” Taeyeon said before slipping away from the tanned woman.

 

Yuri was left alone in the table while waiting for her bestfriend to come back with glasses of alcohol. As she waited, she scanned the whole place silently.

 

The place was pitched black with only the blinking disco lights radiating the place and a lime white light that lit the room somehow. A lot of people are dancing (or Yuri thought was thrashing around) in the middle of the dance floor with the rhythm of the music. The black pearl sighted some drunken people swaying their way out of the place while the others were still drinking. She sighed, knowing that this place is a very probable crime scene for any kind of lawbreaking. She’s a cop who knows the danger of being in nightclubs but here she is. Sitting still in the middle of this place.

 

But then in the middle of her observation, she landed her eyes on a seemingly familiar figure. A lady. A doe-eyed lady sitting in a couch up above a special booth in the nightclub. Yuri suddenly frowned as she saw the very person who ruined her day.

 

If it was not called unlucky, how would you call the black pearl’s situation where she meets the most annoying person (for her) thrice today? Just what is with this day that she keeps meeting the woman?

 

However, Yuri’s building anger suddenly faltered down when the smirking girl she met this morning has this deadpan expression written all over her face. She was just there, sitting and silently gazing at nothing—very different to the arrogant person she met. Yuri doesn’t know if it was because of the girl’s big doe-eyes that the she saw a hint of sadness and disorientation from the girl. She was even surprised to see the girl despite the blinking lights and dark place she’s in. And on that very moment, the cold Kwon felt a hint of sadness seeing the girl like that.

 

“Here.” turning her head to the direction of the voice, Yuri saw her bestfriend handing her a glass of liquor—shifting her gaze away from the stoic figure she was looking at.

 

Across the place where colorful lights have been flickering, a certain doe-eyed girl was gazing at nothing. The drunken and dancing people below her location is boring her as her mind wandered somewhere away from the place.

 

Her sister Hannah is dying and she can’t do anything to keep her alive. For four years she has been killing innocent men just so she could support the girl’s medication and yet nothing will pay off. Her hands are stained with the bloods of these people Kim Young Min wanted dead and she didn’t even have the choice to refuse.

 

She is a piece of garbage, Yoona knew that. From the very beginning she is being treated like one so no wonder she feels like it. Their parents had thrown them away and left them in an orphanage when she was seven and Hannah was still a two-month-old baby.

 

They grew up together although alone in the shadows of the place but they were happy. Yoona was very protective of her only sister and she did all things that made her happy. She was there to see her only sister grew into a beautiful child and into a bubbly teenager that Yoona began dreaming of what the girl could be if she transforms into an adult. She can be a doctor, a lawyer, a very clever businesswoman, or maybe a firm professor in a university. And Yoona was certain that she will do anything to provide her sister the needs in studying. If it wasn’t because of her illness, the youngest Im could have been in college now and had been pestering Yoona for her allowance.

 

“Yoona.”

 

A smooth voice that she is very much familiar with broke her chain of thoughts. She turned her head to see a blonde gazing at her.

 

“Let’s drink. Tonight, you should forget anything that bothers you and just enjoy. Besides, that is why you decided to accompany me here, right?” The blonde’s extended hand was handing her over a glass of tequila.

 

Yoona stared at the glass for a moment and brought out a forced smile after a second. She got hold of the glass and raised it before gulping it down in one go—not even cringing up to the bittersweet taste of the alcohol.

 

“Woohooh! Now that’s my girl!” Jessica exclaimed crazily and Yoona knew the girl is little bit tipsy now.

 

The blonde rubbed the Im’s back, being proud for the younger’s guts to gulp down her first shot for tonight. She then poured the bottle of tequila in her glass and that of the Im’s for another shot. And the two drank the liquid once again as if what they were glugging down is an ordinary water.

 

“Hey. I’ll just go to the bathroom.” Jessica announced before rushing out of sight of the doe-eyed girl. Yoona just followed her partner’s figure until it was out of sight.

 

She sighed and then looked at the bottle of liquor laid on the table. Although it was tempting, Yoona decided not to touch it and then slid her hands to the inner pocket of her black leather jacket.

 

Bringing a stick of cigarette to , she also decided to get a lighter from her pocket and lit the roll of tobacco. She easily inhaled the puff of the drug and felt the smoke invade the insides of her lungs—burning every inch of it and giving the doe-eyed girl a tinge of eucalyptic sensation overcoming the organ.

 

Ah.. What a way to shrug the thoughts away. Yoona thought. She isn’t a smoker but when things are messy and she’s in disarray, she does it. The sight of the smoke somehow made the doe-eyed girl a scene to focus into rather than thinking about the things in her mind.

 

But while breathing out the smoke was easy, meeting a familiar brown orb when doing it is slightly a different story.

 

 

(across the area)

 

 

Wanting to pee, the tipsy Jessica squeezed herself in the dancing crowd. Eventually, the mob is stronger than an individual that the blonde’s drunken strength isn’t enough for her to get out of the situation. She stretched her head up and saw the ‘CR’ sign, much to her surprise. She knew her height isn’t that elevated like Yoona’s so she was amazed to get a glimpse of the signpost.

 

The blonde then smiled inwardly, confident that she can pass through these people in no time. She let herself be pushed, pressed on, and shoved. She knew she’s getting nearer. Just a little more slip of her body and she can be on the comfort room soon.

 

But just before she can get away from the last person who was blocking the way, she felt a strong bump towards her body—making her body be pushed forward abruptly. Jessica knew she was losing balance. Her tipsy state did not help in this current situation, failing to control her body not to fall.

 

The blonde was ready. Ready to meet the cold, hard floor when suddenly,

 

“I got you.” A soothing voice of a woman spoke, making the ice-princess turn her head to the owner.

 

Taeyeon was eyeing a certain blonde after Yuri excused herself to go somewhere. The midget was awestruck with the way the woman swayed her body to the crowd. Her features are sophisticated and refined that gorgeously matches her petite height. Although the place was pitch black, Taeyeon was sure she saw a shade of pink on the girl’s cheeks—indicating that she’s a bit intoxicated.

 

The short cop just observed the girl as she squeezed herself into the crowd, smiling inwardly on how adorable the blonde looked as she stretched her head up to oversee the crowd she’s in. Sipping the margarita she had, the Kim continued eyeing the ice-princess until she noticed something. She cocked her eyebrow before gulping down the glass of liquor and rushing away from her seat.

 

Jessica was awkwardly leaning her body against the torso of the midget as her arms hang loosely on the other girl’s shoulders. The two was looking at each other intently before the blonde showed a devious smile on her lips.

 

_____________________________________________________________________________

 

Author’s Note:

Was it long? Kekeke. I don’t know what has gotten into me that I have written a lengthy chap for this update. Maybe I was just motivated by the good responses from you guys, that’s why :D And I think I’ve moved on with Yuri’s dating news already. It was pretty much because I’ve accepted the fact that I can’t do anything about it. And your comments helped me go through it so thank you :)

 

BTW, I have a hundred and plus subs in this story for just a short period of time. Wow. You’re amazing guys :D Jjang!

 

The comments, upvotes and views are really much appreciated by me. Thank you so much. And I’ll try to be handy to my readers in every update. Maybe a personal message to your wall or something. IDK. But I’ll try to do it to give my thanks personally. So yeah. Hihihihi.

 

Please bear with this update. I’ll try to make it better (if I’m capable). Kekeke.

 

Keep supporting SNSD and Yoonyul! Love you with a kiss! mwah!! ^_^