Pillar

Catch Me If You Can

 

“Yah…Jisoo-yah…can you see me?”

 

A blurry figure seems to appear on the screen but Seulgi isn’t sure if the woman from the other line could actually see her.

 

“Kim Jisoo. Jichu-yah. Hello? Can you see me?”

 

“I don’t think she does,” the woman beside Seulgi spoke, their eyes meeting for a fleeting moment before Seulgi looked away with a blush.

 

She will never get used to being surrounded by gorgeous people. Really.

 

For example: Wendy Son.

 

The girl had been sticking by her side the moment Yuri, Taeyeon and Tiffany left the apartment. It’s not like she doesn’t like having her near because good gracious, this woman is an epitome of badassery and perfection and Seulgi would have to be a freaking celibate to not want to date her.

 

But the bear cannot just handle having all of her attention at the moment while she tries to maneuver her way on how to hack a government’s security system.

 

It’s distracting her (the it being Wendy’s pair of lips that she’s been biting Seulgi’s afraid she might bleed for how long she’s been doing it and the lingering stares that Seulgi is sure if Wendy’s eyes are lasers and Wendy is superhuman, Seulgi had long been turned into ashes for how intense they are on her)

 

But the girl isn’t actually doing anything. In fact, she’s just sitting there beside Seulgi, silently watching the latter as she tweaks something on the available laptop she was given for the meantime.

 

Seulgi may know algorithms and stuff on how to take firewalls down and whatnot. But she ain’t skillful enough to brave the hacking of something as protected and classified as a security system, much less of the police enforcement where all the wonders happen.

 

She needs a helping hand of people who had done so much as hack Donald Trump’s private Tinder account.

 

Which goes back to this. Her attempt of having her friends, Kim Jisoo and her girlfriend-since-middle-school Kim Jennie, help her in this life-changing activity she is about to partake.

 

(As if the risk of being involved with all of these aren’t life-changing enough)

 

“Grgghafhrrrrrrdjfehello…?”

 

The figure on the screen drawled out and Seulgi’s hope heightened when the blurry figure was starting to clear into something decipherable.

 

“Hellooowww?” comes a groggy voice from the other line, the prominent Kiwi accent telling Seulgi that it isn’t Jisoo who picked up but,

 

“Jennie?”

 

“Who else would it be, Kang Seulgi..”

 

The latter grinned at that. Feeling elated and nostalgic at the same time because for one, it’s been months since she’s been in contact of people from her life outside the current chaos she is in. It feels normal for a moment and Seulgi is just trying to disturb the couple of their naps just like the old times.

 

“Kekeke. You’re still as grumpy as the last time I called you guys.”

 

“And you’re still as much of a as I remembered,”

 

Seulgi couldn’t stop herself from grinning more, “I missed you too, Jennie-yah,” which earned a groan from the girl on the other line.

 

A laughter was heard on the other side of the computer and soon, one more figure appeared on the computer screen, this time, chirpier than Jennie…and wait…is she ?

 

Which brings Seulgi to the idea that,

 

“Wassup KangSseul!”

 

“Yah Kim Jisoo! W-were you two doing the…the—“

 

“Yes we were, Kang,” answered Jennie in a flat tone, “We were in the middle of bumping uglies when your annoying , for the millionth time since I’ve known you, decided to interrupt our ‘we time’. Again.”

 

Merlin. Would Jennie ever know how to keep her sassy mouth censored?

 

Flushed in red, Seulgi stole a glance at the woman beside her and saw Wendy’s surprisingly calm demeanor despite the exchange. Although the smirk on her face tells Seulgi that she is finding this very amusing.

 

“Y-you guys! Gaahh! You’re like a bunch of rabbits, I swear.”

 

“And you’re a warm bear I have greatly missed, KangSseul!” this time its Jisoo and her chirpy voice and pretty smile that graced the screen, “You’re looking great by the way! Oh! And who’s the gorgeous lady beside you? Is that your girlfriend? Hi KangSseul’s girlfriend!”

 

Caught off guard, Seulgi’s wide eyes turned at the already grinning Wendy and tried correcting her friend’s assumption.

 

“Wha-n-n-no! She’s not m—“

 

“Hello there. I’m Wendy,” But before she could even rectify, her wronged girlfriend beat her to it, “It’s nice to meet you both.”

 

“Oooh. Kang Seulgi got herself an American girlfriend. Or wait. Are you an American? You look like a Korean to me” Jennie asked as she squinted her eyes. Seulgi could only mentally face-palm at her friends.

 

“Full-blooded Korean, not half-baked,” Wendy replied with a tease, “I can speak English though since I studied abroad.”

 

“Ooohh. Kang Seulgi got herself a rich Korean girlfriend who studied abroad and knows how to speak English..” It was now Jisoo’s turn to do the teasing.

 

Seulgi could actually use a grave to bury herself into right now.

 

“Oh my god stop it, you both!” the poor bear chastised with flushed red cheeks. “I am not here to talk about my non-existent love life. Gosh.”

 

“Then what are we wasting our time here for?” Jennie sassed, earning a laughter and reprimand from Jisoo behind her to behave, all the while peppering kisses on the former’s bare shoulder for Seulgi and Wendy to see.

 

Seulgi, at this point, would need a cold shower after this.

 

“She’s actually calling you to ask some favor,” Wendy answered in behalf of the uneasy bear, “Seulgi here said that you guys are geniuses when it comes to anything IT-related stuff? Particularly hacking?”

 

That piqued the interest of the two women on the screen, sharing a look at each other before turning their attention back on the screen.

 

“What is going on, KangSseul?”

 

It was now Wendy and Seulgi’s turn to share a look, with Wendy’s encouraging nod answering Seulgi’s questioning look of whether they are actually going through with the plan with Jisoo and Jennie’s help.

 

“Umm, you see…”

 

 

***

 

 

“Your sister is with me.”

 

“Jessica-ssi and Seulgi got her out of the hospital on the night you were arrested. They were ambushed of some sort..”

 

“Pay her a visit..”

 

“Their car collided with something while they were trying to get away. That note was left behind and whoever left it definitely has your sister..”

 

“…before it’s too late.”

 

“Jessica-ssi..she’s…she’s currently in a coma. Seulgi has been unconscious, too, but nothing serious...hopefully.”

 

“You know where to go.”

 

“You know what this means right, Yoona-ssi?”

 

Yoona knows, alright. She really does.

 

She knows that she is ready to taint her hands with Kim Young Min’s blood if anything..anything bad..ever happened to Hanna. God forbid, she will never have it in her to hesitate murdering the embodiment of the devil himself with her bare hands if Kim Young Min so much as lay a finger on her sister.

 

Because how could he?

 

Hanna’s been battling leukemia. Her sister is sick. She is ing sick. And his cruelty of getting her as hostage to get back at Yoona is beyond the latter’s grasp of human morality.

 

Hanna is currently out there, all alone to fend for her deteriorating self, when Yoona had vowed to protect her with everything she got. All these time of self-pity and self-destructing thoughts and how this is the end for her, all the while Hanna is out there expecting for her unnie to rescue her..

 

this .

 

Wiping the hot tears that keep rolling down her cheeks the moment she’d been back to her detention cell, Yoona gasped for air.

 

“You need to get yourself together, Yoona..”

 

She’s struggling to breathe and the sound of Yuri’s trembling but resolved voice echoing in her head is at least keeping her steady.

 

“Just… just hang in there, okay?”

 

It’s keeping her grounded. Yuri is keeping her sane.

 

“We’ll save her. We’re here to help you… I-I’m here to help..”

 

More tears spilled as Yoona continued her labored breathing.

 

Because of ing course, Yuri would help her. The cop would set aside her safety, ignore her broken trust and sacrifice her long-protected badge and principles just to help her rescue her ailing sister.

 

“Don’t do anything rash, okay? I need your level-headedness for this. I need you sane and composed. Just keep it together..”

 

What did she even do to deserve all these?

 

She doesn’t deserve the kindness. She doesn’t deserve the assurance. She doesn’t deserve the care. She deserves nothing.

 

Yet Yuri is there, silently telling her that she does, she deserves all the love in the world. She deserves to see her sister. She deserves to know that her sister is still alive. She deserves to fight for her love ones. She deserves a second chance.

 

Yuri is willing to give her this. Yuri is there to tell her she deserves all of the good things. Yuri is breaking her rules for her. Yuri is willing.

 

And Yoona must do the same, think the same, act the same, be the same.

 

“Alright Im Yoona..” she whispered, wiping for the last time the tears that have completely stopped spilling the moment Yuri’s image and Yuri’s voice and everything Yuri Yuri Yuri flooded her mind, “Get it together. Get your together..”

 

Getting on her feet, Yoona begins drawing in a couple of deep breaths to gather herself, the image of Yuri’s brown orbs exuding nothing but ardor and calmness helping her level her pants.

 

“For Hanna, Yoona. Get it together.. Get it together…”

 

Despite everything that happened, there is that one person who is willing to give her another chance. There is that one person who is willing to get herself hurt for her sake.

 

“For Jessica. For Seulgi. Get it together, Im Yoona…”

 

That one person, despite getting her heart and trust broken, is more than ready to set aside her issues for Yoona.

 

And Yoona is… she is truly amazed. No one has gone to this extent just for her. She thought no one will ever, no one will ever try. But she’s proven wrong.

 

If someone is willing, if someone is more than ready to give life another shot, take risks that she thought are not worth going for anymore, who is Yoona to deprive herself of the luxury of doing the same?

 

“For Yuri. This is for Yuri, Yoona. For Yuri..”

 

With Yuri as her pillar of support and beacon of light to her dimming hope, Yoona knows she can ing do this.

 

 

***

 

 

“You know the risks we’re taking right?”

 

Taeyeon’s inquiry resonated in the cramped space of the vehicle as soon as the car doors were closed.

 

She and Yuri drove to the shorter girl’s childhood lair and picked up the necessary devices and paraphernalia Seulgi will be using for this entire hacking thing. It’s been a while since she’s used this stuff but she knows they are all working.

 

It found Princess, her long lost childhood…affair, if you can call it that. So it is legit working.

 

“You know what we’re getting into, right?” the Kim looked over the woman on the passenger’s seat who was fixing her seatbelt. Yuri is too calm in the midst of their present predicament. Well, she is usually calm and it amazes Taeyeon up until now how her bestfriend can maintain her composure under pressure.

 

But with the encounter with Yoona that morning, not to mention the days of emotional isolation from the woman, Taeyeon needs assurance that Yuri fully knows the possible outcome of this undertaking.

 

She needs to know that this is Yuri, her rational and careful bestfriend, who is steering the wheel, and not the emotionally-driven girl who may or may not be blinded by the all-destructive thing called feelings.

 

“Can I be honest with you?” the Kwon sighed, meeting Taeyeon’s listening eyes, “I am not sure myself what I am doing Taeyeon-ah,”

 

There it is.

 

“This isn’t like me at all,” Yuri’s internal battle is slowly coming into sight, reflecting through her eyes and manifesting in the way her brows scrunch in uncertainty. “I’m not rash. I don’t make life-changing decisions without thinking through it. I don’t do feelings.

 

Closing her eyes in the most conflicted way Taeyeon have seen her, Yuri bit her lips in attempt of controlling this overwhelming surge of emotions.

 

“But her sister needs her, Taeng,” the slight quiver in her lips tells Taeyeon that Yuri’s internal battle is more than just about Yoona, “Her sister needs her and I cannot just stand there and watch her go through the guilt of having done nothing when she herself knows she can do something.”

 

This is the teenaged Kwon Yuri who was mourning the tragic loss of a sister, trying to rectify the excusable negligence that was long overdue and find closure once and for all.

 

“I was once on the receiving end of that kind of torture, Taeyeon-ah,” Yuri murmured, vulnerable and bare and raw, “I can’t let her get through the same pain. I won’t allow it.”

 

Taeyeon’s heart ached for Yuri. She wanted to take girl in her arms and engulf her in the most bone-crushing hug she could give, whisper words of comfort and how it was not her fault, it was never her fault, and that Taeyeon is there for her, always, everyday, forever.

 

But they’re in a cramped space. Confined in a tiny compartment that won’t be enough to accommodate the tremendous love and support Taeyeon is ready to fire away..

 

So she settled for the next best thing: reaching for the girl’s hand and intertwining their hands together.

 

She met Yuri’s warm orbs oozing of vulnerability and Taeyeon thinks, no, she knows, that she will do everything in her mortal prowess to replace the helplessness in them with the brightness that once found home in her bestfriend’s eyes.

 

Whatever it takes.

 

“We’ll do this together. I’m all in, Yuri-yah.”

 

 

***

 

 

“Babe, are you using that XQ plus formula we used before?”

 

“Yessums, Jendeukie. I’m actually trying to shut this thing off layer by layer coz there are just too much in here my gosh..”

 

“Sorry to break it to you babe, but we are trying to get into the security system of Seoul’s Investigation Bureau, one of the most protected in the world. Of course it won’t be easy to get in..”

 

“Shut your mouth, smarty pants. I’m trying to concentrate here..”

 

“Bold of you to say that when you have your foot sliding down my legs right now. Don’t you think this isn’t making me hot?”

 

“Not my fault you’re so easy to turn on.”

 

“HEY—!!”

 

Seulgi sighs at the banter happening on the other side of the screen. Thankfully, the Kim-Kim couple was more than willing to extend their help after Seulgi and Wendy meticulously explained the details of the plan. It is yet to be elaborated further by Yuri and the couple is attempting to do the basics at the moment, knowing how much work all this hacking thing is.

 

­­­Un-thankfully, Seulgi is left with a low quality laptop, Jennie and Jisoo adamant in doing all the work since the gadget would be of no proper use after all. Hence, leaving Seulgi to listen to their unending banters. About .

 

Or are all those what they call ?? Seulgi bear isn’t sure.

 

“Guys—“

 

“Gays”

 

“..whaat?”

 

“Gays, KangSseul. Not guys, or some dudes. I thought you’re pretty much gay yourself—“

 

“Oh good gracious!” Seulgi could only bang her head on the table for her friends shenanigans, “I can’t with you two, really. How come I even made friends with you again?”

 

“Because that we did was the best you ever ha—“

 

“I NEVER HAD WITH THE TWO OF YOU!”

 

“Sure. But please explain, which by the way, you always fail every time this subject matter comes up in conversations, how the three of us ended up that one time after that frat party?” Seulgi could hear Jennie’s smirk in every word she says, “On your bed? With nothing but a blanket to cover our bare bodies?”

 

“I don’t know!” the flustered bear defended, cheeks red and head aching, “Y-you guys planned it all along, did you? You really wanted to make me drunk that night and get me to bed after I’m all wasted.”

 

“I mean, who wouldn’t want you in their beds, KangSseul.” She heard Jisoo ask amidst the sound of key boards slapping, “Have you looked in the mirror and touched your abs? Because ai dios mio! Those are god-made!”

 

“Not gonna lie, Kang. You have terrific abs yourself. But still not as pristine as mine though. Right babe?”

 

“OF COURSE JENDDEUKIIEE! Nothing beats your abs baby”

 

“That’s my girl right there.”

 

Fickety ery .

 

Have Seulgi known these two are still as pain in the as they were in the university, she would’ve done this all by herself, if she was as capable.

 

They’re insufferable!

 

“What the hell are you doing?” A reprimanding voice stopped Seulgi on her train of thoughts, and unconsciously, her acts as well.

 

“Are you crazy? Stop banging your head on the table,” Wendy’s scolding voice echoed once more, appearing from the doorway where she left awhile ago.

 

Smiling sheepishly, Seulgi scratched her neck at the slight scolding. She never realized she’d been continuously banging her head on top of the table. Perhaps it was her subconscious punishing her for her poor life choices recently.

 

“M’sorry..” she guiltily apologized, “I didn’t know I was actually doing it until you told me to stop.”

 

Soft, smooth fingers met that of warmish forehead and Seulgi could have sworn that the warmth was not because of her continued banging.

 

“Aish,” Wendy clicked her tongue and Seulgi should’ve cowered away from the sternness of the sound but she felt her inside…cooing? Melting at the worry-stricken face of Wendy?

 

“You got yourself a concussion. It’s bad enough that you’re still having little on and off episodes of unconsciousness and dizziness,” Wendy caresses Seulgi’s forehead even more, “Please stop making me worry about you more than I am right now. I’ve had enough of it for the past few days.”

 

Blushing at the sudden surge of emotions (and what is that itching feeling inside her stomach?) Seulgi cannot help but meet Wendy’s stern but worried brown eyes, “I’m s-sorry..” her blush intensifying at the thought that this cool, beautiful lady right here is worried about her well-being.

 

What on earth is going on..

 

“WenSeul is happening and I just witnessed this iconic moment right in front of my crappy camera with potato quality” Jennie’s statement broke the two off from the intense staring contest, Seulgi turning her head at her friend on the screen while Wendy looked at anything but the girl across her.

 

“WenSeul?”

 

“WEN-dy and SEUL-gi. WenSeul. Your ship name, you slow poke..”

 

Poor Seulgi. She can beat a ripened tomato at this rate with how flushed she is with all the ual innuendos of the couple and now with Wendy’s sudden affection.

 

How long is it before her Yuri and Taeyeon unnie comes back, anyway? She’s squirming of various emotions right now she doesn’t know if her weak heart can take it.

 

Just when she thought she would be stuck at this myriad of human emotions forever, the sound of the apartment door opening and footsteps were heard from the distance. Wendy and Seulgi shared a fleeting look at each other before, “Where are you guys?” of Yuri resonated throughout the place, “Where should we put all of these?”

 

“In here, Yuri unnie!” Seulgi answered. She was about to get up and meet the older women when Wendy stopped her for the second time that day.

 

“Stay here. I’ll help them carry whatever they’ve brought. And please stop moving your head.”

 

With that, she exited. But not before giving Seulgi a stern look that actually gave the impression of an adorable baby cub rather than an adult, feisty tiger.

 

“She’s just as gay as you are, Kang Seulgi.”

 

The said Kang Seulgi could only roll her eyes because wow, she didn’t know that their discussion about this whole gay thing is far from being over.

 

“Shut up, Kim Jennie. Just…do your magic out there without embarrassing me infront of pretty people..”

 

“That’s my job as one of your best buddies, Kang. Deal with it.”

 

“I GOT IT!” Jisoo’s sudden yelling rang in the room, “I GOT IN! I GOT IN!”

 

As if on cue, Yuri, Taeyeon and Wendy’s figures entered the room, carrying boxes and various apparatus that woah, Seulgi would’ve thought it was her Jessica unnie’s with how state-of-the-art and advanced they look like.

 

“They got in? Jinja?” Wendy chimed in, disbelief all over her face.

 

More quick slapping of keyboards was heard before a loud “OK” reverberated from the screen. Seulgi sighed in relief upon hearing it because leave it to Kim Jisoo, the nerdiest of the nerdy friends she got, to get into Seoul’s most advanced security system within a matter of thirty minutes without breaking a sweat.

 

“Did they really?” Taeyeon inquired, reflecting the disbelief on Wendy’s face, searching for confirmation from Seulgi’s pleased features.

 

“Yes. Yes, they did.” the bear grinned even more, seeking her unnies’ reaction, particularly Yuri’s, from the successful first step of the entire plan, “This is good, right? We’re gonna get handsome unnie out now, right?”

 

Meeting eyes with the hopeful and beaming bear, Yuri answered it with a small smile and a pat on the younger’s head.

 

“Of course, Seulgi-yah..” Yuri is more than sure, “We will get her out. I promise.”

 

Seulgi can live with that. She knows that this is a suicide mission for each and every one of them. Their lives and careers are all at stake. Her friends’ private and peaceful university lives whom she decided to drag into this mess are also at risk. She knows how they are in a situation that screams danger danger danger everywhere.

 

And to hear this simple assurance from Yuri, to know how she must’ve been through a lot yet she stays optimistic and going forward with all of these, it’s…it’s comforting. It gives little Seulgi the hope that they will perhaps get through this, intact and untouched.

 

Yuri is their anchor at the moment. Their pillar of support who keeps them together.

 

And their anchor is set to get this suicide mission over with.

 

“Alright,” Yuri announces, “We got the security system all covered up. Thanks to Seulgi and..” looking over at the screen to see two busy faces whose attention are glued to their own respective computers.

 

“Kim Jennie and Kim Jisoo at your service..” Jennie replied for the both of them, Jisoo being too engrossed on her computer but sent a small smile and mock salute nonetheless.

 

“I owe you girls my sanity,” Yuri was pleased, sincerity laced in her voice, “I could not thank you enough.”

 

“No need to thank us, unnie,” Jisoo said, glancing at the screen and fleetingly meeting Yuri’s eyes, “It got me and my girlfriend something else to do other than so it’s a win-win.”

 

“KYAHHH! KIM JISOO AND YOUR UNCENSORED MOUTH!”

 

“Like you’re any better Jendeukie. Shut the hell up.”

 

If only she could choke the girl right now, Seulgi would definitely do it. They are so shameless and embarrassing and stupid and why is she friends with them again?

 

“Your friends..” Taeyeon muses, “They’re uh...peculiar.”

 

“Tell me about it,” Seulgi groaned, mortified at her friends’ brazen statements.

 

Chuckling and amused, Yuri turned her attention to Wendy who was just as entertained.

 

“Wendy-ssi, is there any way you do good in acting?”

 

Confused, Wendy pointed at herself, “Acting?”

 

“Yes.”

 

Kwon Yuri smiled and Seulgi remembered that smile. It was the exact, same smile the woman stretched when she laid down the plan on hacking the government’s security system.

 

“Umm, I can try?”

 

It wasn't forced nor a smile given out of obligation. But it screamed 'this is a dope idea and im dragging y'all into this' and filled of mischief and good gawd Seulgi isn’t sure if she should be happy or worried for Wendy.

 

“Good. Because it’s step two for mission: get-Yoona-out and you just happened to be our lead actress.”

 

-----------------

A/N: *insert that nosy-eyes emoji* Scold me for being away for almost a year on the comment section or here @sleepylashes

 

Also, ASJDGASLFHDSLFJSGK TAEYEON CONCERT IN MNL SA DEC 14 AAAAAHHHH NYETA SINO BIBILI NG KIDNEY SA INYO JAN SABIHAN NYO KO PARA MAKAPANOOD AKO HUHUHUHU

 

Anyway, I’d be back in my cave for a while after this. There’s just so much going on in my life right now, not to mention how I am a 22-year-old kid coerced to act like an adult, that writing for AFF which used to be a constant has now become intermittent. I’m so sorry for growing up LMAO (who even wants to)

 

Oh, and while you’re at it, click here https://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/1373670/top-of-the-world-snsd-yoona-yoonyul-yuri to get my peace offering dedicated to y'all for my prolonged absence. K bye. #GG4eva #stanRV #stanBP