Emotionally Attached

Catch Me If You Can

 

A skinny figure getting out from one of the police cars.

 

Blaring sirens that are deafening.

 

Armored men carrying high caliber guns rushing out of the automobiles.

 

An SUV van being aimed with weapons and lethal glares.

 

And one resounding command from Choi Sooyoung—were all that took Yuri’s cognizance to recoup from a three-second limbo to a perennial chaotic reality.

 

“Get out of the car right now or I’ll make sure your brains will shatter and feed them to the rest of your sick kind suffering in prison!” the skinny Sooyoung hollered with distinction.

 

She was sticking her gun out to the quivering bastards sweating like freaks inside the vehicle as she glared at them with all her might. In her peripheral view, she saw a certain Kwon Yuri getting on her feet who ducked to the flying bullets fired by the robbers some moments ago before the police came bombarding them with their own pellets.

 

“Yuri, you okay?” Sooyoung briskly asked before commanding the other cops to attend to the stiff-moving law offenders getting out of the car. She then walked over the Kwon to check on her.

 

“Hey, you okay?”

 

Yuri, who was dusting off her shirt, calmly glanced over the three robbers being handcuffed by her colleagues before darting her eyes back to the worried Sooyoung who was checking on her.

 

“I’m fine, Syoung.. Don’t worry about me..”

 

“No you’re not..” Sooyoung firmly retaliated. She reached out for the Kwon’s right cheek and grazed her thumb over the part of the latter’s face just below Yuri’s eyes.

 

This made the Kwon stunned and frozen. Her eyes slightly wide. Her body became stiff as statue. She is not never the kind of person to engage in any kind of skin ship.

 

This is so awkward.

 

“It’s bleeding..”

 

Hearing this, Yuri vehemently pushed back the discomfort that was eating her up and slightly backed away from the tall cop. Creasing her brows in puzzlement, she stretched her hands to the cheek Sooyoung was talking about and felt a wet slick. When Yuri pulled away, she saw red.

 

“I must’ve got it when they began shooting…”

 

“You think?” Sooyoung spat out in sarcasm.

 

And Yuri was confused. “What’s the fuss? It’s just a scratch..”

 

But Sooyoung was nowhere near amazed on her answer. “That’s the point. Kwon Yuri never gets a scratch..” She shook her head in wonder, “…getting clumsy now that you’re older, huh?”

 

Now, now.

 

Did Sooyoung just say clumsy?

 

Making sense as to why Yuri felt a little off, she immediately scurried away from the Choi and paced enigmatically towards the direction where she left a particular girl.

 

Clumsy.

 

But much to the Kwon’s dismay, there was no Audi idly parked. No pair of doe eyes observing over the steering wheels.

 

There was no Yoona.

 

And Yuri was indignantly amazed why she even thought of seeing the girl to hang around when she was used of having her disappear before she even knew it.

 

Yuri could only scoff and shake her head in irritation. She is getting tired of this.

 

“This is ing annoying..”

 

 

 

***

 

 

“Where are you going unnie??”

 

A voice on her ear was the thing that made a driving Yoona’s intense stare on the road to be darted away somewhere.

 

“You don’t have to know where..”

 

“But aren’t we going to wait for your girl?”

 

Yoona wanted to answer that Yuri is not her girl. But there were a lot of things going on in her mind that she just decided to push aside the thought of arguing with the kid over the line.

 

“She can manage herself. The other cops are there..”

 

“But you didn’t even say goodbye.. Ooohh. I’m sure she’ll be pissed..”

 

“You think?” Yoona asked innocently.

 

“Of course! Women easily gets pissed, handsome unnie. Their patience is fleeting. Like a nanosecond fleeting..”

 

Yoona was amazed, “Technically, you’re a girl. And you’re literally describing yourself to me right now..”

 

“And so as you. We’re all women and we all have that annoyance gene imbedded in our DNAs that we cannot control. But from the looks of it, your girl seems to have a lot of it..”

 

Wow.

 

Talking about girl facts coming from a kid. Yoona was starting to think that she really in understanding women and their grumpiness.

 

This just made her chuckle lightly.

 

“You sure know a lot about women..”

 

Yoona heard a giggle from the line that made her smile—a smile with a lot of meaning underlying it.

 

It was the little things like a melodic cackle such as this that the Im would momentarily regret living a life full of complications and danger. If only life had been kinder to her.

 

“Try living a life with eight sisters in the family, unnie, and you’ll sure know a lot about women..”

 

“Wha—Seriously?!”

 

The doe-eyed girl was beyond amazed at the information she was given that her level-headed soul thought she exaggerated a bit on her reaction.

 

“You have eight sisters???”

 

She heard yet another melodic laughter. “Hahaha! Does it really sound surprising to you, handsome unnie?”

 

“Well..” Yoona paused to contemplate, “I just thought you’ll be someone who’s an only child, you know. With how you found Sica and you coming here all the way from States sounds pretty rebellious that solo kids usually do as an escape to the dullness overflowing in their big, empty mansions.”

 

The Im then heard nothing from the other line. But it was still an active call.

 

Oops.

 

Did she accidentally say something taboo or offending for the bear to mum?

 

“Actually… I was just adopted unnie…”

 

Sadness was definitely clear in the voice of Seulgi. Even through the phones, Yoona could hear the blues and emptiness that the Kang just gave off from that short, deep statement.

 

And it could never hurt more hearing a desolate truth than knowing it from the person who felt the exact way as you did and experienced the same sense of futility that has been marked in your soul the moment you realized you’ve just been abandoned.

 

“Y-you are??”

 

Yoona was blinking incessantly as she absorbed everything.

 

Seulgi is just like her.

 

“Yeah.. I’m an orphan and was adopted by the Kangs when I was a baby.. They said that it was their dream to have nine daughters but since Mom wasn’t allowed by the doctors to get another baby when she got a lot of complications after getting pregnant with her 8th child, they decided to go on a local orphanage and find their 9th daughter.. And ‘twas me they found..”

 

Yoona then heard a light chuckle coming from Seulgi. It wasn’t bitter and cold just like she imagined it to be. Very different from the one she heard just a while ago. This one was full of contentment and joy.

 

“And I love them so much. They never made me feel like I’m even adopted. It felt like I was really a part of the family and all of my unnies really take good care of me. And I am very grateful for that..”

 

Hearing this, the doe-eyed girl didn’t realize that her lips have quirked sidewards, forming a flat, genuine smile that screamed a lot of denotations that she cannot formulate into words.

 

At least there’s one less lonely orphan in the world after finding a true, well-rounded family full of love and warmth. Yoona was glad that Seulgi wasn’t as bitter as her when it comes to her background.

 

Even better that her sister Hanna was far from getting all frustrated for being left by their parents. She remembered how her younger sister claimed that all she needed was her Yoona unnie to live happily. It was very sweet of that kid.

 

“I’m happy for you, Seulgi-yah.. Not everyone gets to have that joy you’ve experienced and you have to treasure that..”

 

Yoona thinks she just sounded so warm and gentle, far different from the ice-stricken one she usually plays when she’s around with strangers.

 

“Always show them how much you care about them because you’ll never get a second family as perfect as they already are..

 

But she could only care less. She wanted to blurt things out. Especially that this is something that somehow concerns her and her emotions.

 

“I’ll always remember that, handsome unniee.. Thanks”

 

Because for the doe-eyed girl, she never moved on. And she thinks she will never.

 

It was considerable for Hanna not to give a damn about their parents, considering that she was still an infant when they were abandoned. But for a young Yoona who was observing her parents the night they were driven to the orphanage, she was coldly mad.

 

For a seven-year-old kid, Yoona was very quick to understand that when her mother told her that they will be right back after buying milk for baby Hanna, she meant that she was tired of having noisy kids around the house and that they’re better off without them. She wasn’t going to return.

 

And indeed, she never. They never.

 

That was the last time she saw the face of her mother and the shadow of her father. That was also the last time she would be feeling pain and agony after knowing that their parents ditched them.

 

Because all that was left after that night was emptiness in the heart of Yoona.

 

And that it was enough to consume her every day and forever put to sleep the innocent happiness in her—the ruins of it seeping coldness in her veins and infiltrating her soul with nothing but blankness—practically turning her into a deadpanned log.

 

However, Yoona cannot deny that this innocent happiness that once left her is slowly creeping back to her senses now—burning her with every flicker of joy that her heart would emit.

 

And that the existence of one particular cop is the very reason why she is starting to feel alive yet again.

 

Yuri was her name.

 

She is gorgeous. Smoking hot. Damn cool. Interestingly sweet. She even makes adorable gestures that makes Yoona feel a funny feeling in her stomach at times.

 

And according to a bear named Seulgi, she just got her pissed.

 

“Uhm, anyway, what were you talking about Yuri getting annoyed just now, kiddo? W-would you tell me what could I do to make it up to her?”

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

“Where’s Taeyeon??”

 

Sooyoung trailed behind Yuri as she got out of her car. Yuri directed her to take a detour before getting back to the police station and they ended up in a finely cramped highway. The tallest cop saw the vehicle the two bestfriends used to chase after the criminals.

 

But there was no Taeyeon.

 

Yuri, who patiently inspected the car, said nothing for a moment. She checks every corner of the vehicle as if any scratch would provide her clues to where Taeyeon could have been dragged.

 

Instinctively, Yuri doesn’t feel fear for her bestfriend’s whereabouts. She could sense that wherever Taeyeon is, she is already out of harm’s way.

 

Though she wondered how.

 

She’s gonna be fine. Someone’s gonna come and drive her to safety…

 

That’s it.

 

Realization hit Yuri after vividly remembering the words of a certain doe-eyed girl. Fishing her phone out of the inner pouch of the coat she’s wearing, Yuri swiped through the screen to look for digits. But she abruptly stopped herself when she was just about to click.

 

She is not calling Im Yoona right now.

 

Mmm-mm. No.

 

“Yuri..” Sooyoung’s call made her look up from her device.

 

“…where is Taeyeon??”

 

The Kwon looked straight into the Choi who was staring at her expectantly. She opened he mouth to verbalize the thoughts in her mind when Sooyoung’s phone began ringing.

 

It was now the latter’s turn to fish out her phone.

 

“Irene..” the skinny girl answered the caller.

 

“Where are you and Inspector Kwon, unnie?”

 

Sooyoung glanced at the observing Yuri before answering back, “We’re in Seongdang Highway looking for Taeyeon. Why?”

 

“Inspector Kwon is needed here. It’s something related to a case she is handling..”

 

Sooyoung once again looked up to stare at Yuri but only this time, her stare was implying something that Yuri easily noticed.

 

“What is it?” the Kwon inquired.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

“I need further orientation about this case because I’m pretty sure that what I’m gonna tell you is going to help solving it..” Irene, who greeted the two towering cops right after they got out of the vehicle stated. Sooyoung and Yuri were listening attentively as they sauntered towards the station with the Bae in tow.

 

“Two women who said that they were the attendants serving a certain Kang Joonhae the night before he was killed is here.”

 

“What?!” Yuri was the first one to react. And she was indeed surprised.

 

“Why? What is this about?” Sooyoung calmly inquired.

 

Yuri glanced at the two other cops as they anticipated for a reply. But sorry, she is a teaser.

 

“Let’s get into my office. It’s a long story..”

 

Irene and Sooyoung could only nod and trail behind the tanned woman as she walked pass them with such finality.

 

“Where are the thieves?”

 

The other cops in the station who were doing their respective chores immediately rose at the presence of Inspector Kwon Yuri. They paused whatever it is they were doing and bowed their heads at the sight of the tanned woman who just walked in.

 

“They are temporarily brought to the city detention in Samseong-dong district. They can be transported back here in the station for the interrogation with your command, Inspector.” One of them replied.

 

It only took a blink for Yuri to answer them back. “There’s no need for an interrogation. All we can do is to wait for further actions from the bank they’ve robbed. For the meantime, just let them spoil behind bars..”

 

“Copy that Inspector..”

 

But before Yuri could walk away, another voice barged in.

 

“Inspector Kwon..”

 

It was Minho.

 

Sooyoung eyed the man—more like glared—as he sauntered towards them. She has something to say.

 

“This better be important, Choi. Yuri has a lot to do..”

 

The skinny girl may be a newbie in the station but she never failed to notice how the younger man yearns for the Kwon. His stares are seriously a crush thing.

 

“I’m afraid it is Inspector Choi..” He replied with a definite stance before facing Yuri. “We found a star-witness for the murder of Lee Kyungjae..”

 

Hearing this, Yuri’s confused state immediately turned hopeful and eager—for the second time that day.

 

Lee Kyungjae was the man who was stabbed a few days ago meters away from the SPD station.

 

Seems like the odds are on their side right now. Her worries on the lack of proofs and evidences are slowly starting to be replaced with the impatience of getting all her cases solved now that supports are being pulled towards them.

 

Yuri will take all chances before the coin starts flipping again.

 

“In my office.”

 

 

 

***

 

 

Beeps.

 

Short, boring beeps.

 

These are the lone company of Jessica Jung as she blankly stared at a latent figure laying on the hospital bed. Taeyeon was soundly sleeping, unaware of the world surrounding her and the different events that she could have witnessed.

 

Jessica pondered how the cop would react if she was awake—respond at the sudden twist of events for them.

 

Because of all incidents and hospitals Taeyeon could have encountered and brought, it has to be here—where her fiancé works.

 

The Jung was perplexed. Past stupefied at the sudden revelation.

 

I’m Taeyeon’s fiancé

 

Taeyeon has a fiancé.

 

I’m Taeyeon’s fiancé

 

She is a doctor.

 

I’m Taeyeon’s fiancé

 

She was the one who operated on Taeyeon.

 

I’m Taeyeon’s fiancé

 

Her name is Tiffany.

 

I’m Taeyeon’s fiancé

 

The both of them had just met and the girl introduced herself as Taeyeon’s someone’s significant.

 

I’m Taeyeon’s fiancé

 

And Jessica just felt a tug in her heart hearing it. Like her insides are being tied into different, complicated knots and she, for the first time, cannot foresee how this thing with a playmate would end.

 

Because honestly, Jessica doesn’t even know if she wanted to end it in the first place.

 

Slowly, the only awake petite woman inside the room reached for the patient’s hand with quivering fingers. She fondly traced Taeyeon’s soft hands as if overdoing it would break the Kim.

 

“Why didn’t you tell me, Taengoo??” Jessica whispered, her eyes depicting that of someone empty and barren.

 

“..why didn’t you tell me??”

 

She inquired with a little more emphasis on the word ‘tell’ this time. Although, it was ironical for the Jung to ask the cop knowing how she herself has not been truly honest of who she is and who she associates with. It wasn’t like she asked Taeyeon if she had a fiancé.

 

Jessica Jung thought she was playing—that everything was just a game. And that at the end of the game, she will always be the winner.

 

But turns out, in this game she played, she is losing. Losing to the desire of the heart than listen to the commands of her rational brain.

 

.

 

This is one of the reasons why she never wanted to be emotionally attached.

 

You tend to self-pity when things doesn’t go the way you thought it would be.

 

“Sica?”

 

A voice of a woman halted Jessica’s trail of thoughts. She looked up and saw the woman who she knows would give her what she needed the most right now.

 

Yoona.

 

The skinny doe-eyed girl was expecting to see an emotionally unstable Jessica as she entered the room. Well, who wouldn’t? Had Yuri been the one on Taeyeon’s place, Yoona doesn’t know what she’ll do: either let the culprits suffer unhurried measurements or just kill them instantly with ways only Yoona know.

 

However, she didn’t expect to see Jessica rising on her seat and running to her. The girl suddenly pounced unto the Im and squeezed her into an air- hug—slightly surprising Yoona at the strange behavior.

 

But as sweet as the deer has always been, she held the blonde tight in her arms.

 

“What’s wrong?”

 

Jessica did not answer. She just sniffled under the grasp of the Im.

 

Yoona glanced up to see the sleeping Taeyeon across the room. She was filled with tubes and wires that the deer doesn’t want to know what for. Something must’ve happened, she thought.

 

“Is Taeyeon okay?”

 

This time, Jessica answered her with a cute nod that squished Yoona’s woman-adoring-soul.

 

“Then what’s wrong?? You’re even crying.. This is so not you…” Yoona commented with a hint of teasing in her tone.

 

Of course. Jessica Jung was not the one to cry. She was known for being strong-hearted and cold. So this is very new for a certain innocent deer seeing her tearing up.

 

“Aish..” the blonde mumbled and slightly hit Yoona on the shoulder as she pulled away. Her fresh-from-weeping-face made Yoona smile.

 

“She’s fine..” Jessica’s groggy voice was what the Im heard next. “The doctor said that she just needs rest..”

 

The Jung was sniffling the entire time she was speaking. And Yoona now deemed that there must be something behind this relentless emotional breakdown more than just meets the eye.

 

“Okay what’s wrong?” Yoona stared right through Jessica this time—being serious all of a sudden. “I can sense that there is something in your tears other than Taeyeon being hurt. What is it?”

 

Damn.

 

For the nth time since her existence, Jessica once again forgot how Yoona could read through someone. Why is she even surprise?

 

“Nothing Yoong..”

 

“Mmm-mm..” Yoona shook her head, “You can fool Taeyeon of who you really are. But not me.”

 

Damn for the second time.

 

This is Yoona she is talking. Why is she even trying to hide everything?

 

So mustering the courage that she has, setting aside the fact that she just got her heart broken  after someone named Tiffany Hwang just proclaimed her significance to Taeyeon’s life, and realizing that she has been wrong all these times she was with the Kim, Jessica finally let out the thing that has been bothering her for days.

 

She is ready to accept it. Face it. Own it.

 

There is no backing away now.

 

Looking up to the towering lady opposite of her, Jessica fervently and steadfastly spoke her heart.

 

“Okay… I think I’m in love with Taeyeon..”

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

So you’re saying that you’re the one who’s supposed to serve Kang Joon Hae that night? You’re the real Ahn Young Mi?

 

Yes. I was changing to my uniform inside my locker when suddenly someone grabbed me from behind and pushed me down a chair. I tried breaking free but the grip was very strong. I really thought it was a man tying me with how mighty the clasp was.

 

It wasn’t?

 

It was a woman. I cannot remember her face after the incident but I do recall that she had this blonde hair as golden as mine. She took off the nametag pinned in my uniform and put it on to deceive my co-workers.

 

 

Yuri was in deep thought. A very deep, scrutinizing thought.

 

 

The new hired waitress named Ahn Young Mi was late that night. Me and the other attendant to serve Mr. Kang and his companions didn’t meet her yet so when this scrawny, blonde woman wearing the same uniform we were wearing with the nametag Ahn Young Mi pinned on it, barged in, we really thought that she was Ahn Young Mi.

 

Then what happened next?

 

She took the order of the guests and even flirted with Mr. Kang for a moment. She then came to us and told us their orders so my partner and I exited the room to take the orders to the chef. When we were on our way back, the fraud Ahn Young Mi was waiting for us outside the door and then all of a sudden, she started attacking us. Then all went black after that.

 

Do you remember her face?

 

No. Everything was blur since the day I woke up in the hospital.

 

 

There is something off, really, with the information she received after heeding the statements of the witnesses. Something is bothering her but Yuri cannot picture what it is that makes her uneasy.

 

 

I am a driver of a cab and I happened to wander in this part of the city some meters away from your station. I pulled over to pee so I walked towards a small, dark alley near here but when I got nearer, I saw two figures facing each other. A man and a woman. I cannot see their faces but I assumed that they were a couple making out. So I tried peeking over to check on them but when I did, I saw the man gripping a knife.

 

The man was the one holding the knife?

 

Yes.

 

How about the woman? Did you see her face?

 

No. It was too dark to make out of things. And I immediately ran away after I saw the man holding the knife. I feared for my life and I don’t want to be involved with whatever business the both of them had.

 

You were meters away from the police station, Sir. You could’ve reported it and saved him.

 

That’s why I’m here today. I saw the news on TV and I felt guilty knowing I could’ve done something to avoid a loss of life.

 

 

“A woman… Blonde… Scrawny…”

 

Yuri whispered more to herself as she contemplated. It’s been hours since she met the witnesses but up until now she still cannot decipher what it is that makes this situation a little bit strange.

 

Why does she feel that the answers to her questions aren’t too far away from her grasp? Like it has been lingering around and Yuri was too distracted to discover it?

 

“A woman… Blonde… Scraw—“

 

“Earth to Yuri”

 

Hearing a disruption from the daze she’s been into, the Kwon looked up from her desk.

 

“I’ve been calling your name the moment I stepped inside your office. But I don’t think you even noticed me getting in with that blank stare of yours..” Sooyoung chimed sarcastically.

 

Yeah. She had been standing for a minute calling the Kwon but the cop seemed out until now.

 

“What is it?” Yuri looked anywhere but the tall cop on her door and pretended to fix her desk.

 

“We found where Taeyeon was brought. She’s in a hospital in Cheongdam-dong..”

 

“Really?”

 

Sooyoung nodded and this made Yuri’s anxiety to fade away. See? Her instincts never failed her. She was sure that her bestfriend was safe.

 

“Do you want to go? I can drive you there..”

 

Yuri glanced up and took time to stare at the Choi. “You’d do that?”

 

The Choi only nodded. The Kwon scrutinized the look in Sooyoung but saw nothing strange. The girl was known to be a prankster during their college days. She doesn’t want to be a victim of her antics.

 

But after seeing that there is no hint of playfulness, Yuri decided to give in.

 

“Alright.”

 

Yuri saw Sooyoung smile—for the first time that day—before saying, “I’ll go prepare the car.” And went out of the office almost immediately.

 

Strange. Yuri thought.

 

But she could only blink in amazement. Right now, what she’d do is prepare her things and keep her stuff. She is going to see her bestfriend.

 

Getting up on her seat, Yuri started moving. She went towards the cupboard near her door and compiled in the papers she has been reading. From her current location, she stole a look at the open window adjacent to it and saw that the night has already fallen.

 

She creased her brows in confusion. Yuri then lifted her wrist to glance on her watch.

 

Eh??!

 

She sure have spent a lot of time, thinking, inside her space. It was almost eleven in the evening.

 

Suddenly, the door behind her suddenly opened.

 

“Just wait outside, Syoung. I’ll be—“

 

But as she turned to face the person, it was not the person she was expecting it to be.

 

“Hi..”

 

It was Yoona.

 

And Yuri immediately turned rigid at the sudden presence of the girl—not to mention the approximate distance they have.

 

“W-what are you doing here?”

 

Yuri tried her best to sound cold. And maybe she did because she saw how Yoona’s face immediately became wary and cautious.

 

Escaping, the Kwon quickly walked away from their position and unto her desk.

 

“Uhmm..” she heard Yoona start. “I-I’m here…“

 

Wait. Did she just hear the conceited delinquent stammer?

 

Surprised, Yuri swiftly turned to face the girl.

 

“Why? Hmm?” this time, the Kwon felt she got even. She felt confident and superior for the first time since she got herself acquainted with the doe-eyed girl.

 

Serves her right, Yuri thought. She had been playing with the cop’s feelings and Yuri doesn’t feel good about it.

 

“Uhm because—“ but before Yoona could finish her sentence, she abruptly paused and scrunched her brows.

 

“What’s this?”

 

The Im sounded anxious. She then reflexively reached for the Kwon’s left cheek and softly grazed her thumb over the rough piece of band aid glued on the part just below Yuri’s eye.

 

And for the second time that day, Yuri froze.

 

Everything just seemed to slow down as the tanned cop stared at those beautiful doe-eyes of Yoona looking all worried. A funny tingling inside her stomach made the Kwon pull away.

 

“No..”

 

It was now Yoona’s turn to froze.

 

“I’m tired of this game we’re doing Yoona. Whatever this is. Please don’t make it harder for me than it already is”

 

“That’s why I’m here to make things right..”

 

What she heard made Yuri’s dissipated anger to flicker in again. “Right? Do you even know what is right from wrong, Im Yoona? You’re just a kid.”

 

“I’m not a kid. I’m 24..”

 

But this information didn’t help Yuri to calm down. “You’re what?!” she scoffed. “All this time you lied to me about your age?!”

 

And Yoona was on the verge of panicking. This wasn’t supposed to be the plan. Seulgi’s plan isn’t working out and this isn’t her forte. The Im is certain she was pushing the wrong buttons again.

 

This is one of the reasons why she had never been emotionally attached.

 

You tend to become jumpy and uncool when an argument with your significant someone arises.

 

“You never asked me about it..”

 

“Well how can I ask when you’ll just vanish all of a sudden?”

 

Oh.

 

Oh.

 

Yoona now gets it. The girl now knows why Seulgi said that Yuri, her girl, would be pissed.

 

“Yuri—“

 

“You realize just now didn’t you?” the cop scoffed once again. “Yes Yoona. I am pissed for being ditched by you every time we get to see each other. I’m annoyed with how you easily leave me behind as if I’m nothing.”

 

“You’re not nothing to me Yuri..”

 

This confession made the Kwon’s heart leap but she continued her stance. “Then why are you doing this to me?? Why would you disappear on me like that?”

 

“We have our own reasons..”

 

“Then tell me. Tell me Yoona..”

 

Yuri was looking at her with those brown eyes expecting for an answer. She was looking at Yoona with so much anticipation and the Im cannot take those puppy eyes for granted. If it means opening up her history and breaking down the walls she built just to see satisfaction in Yuri’s orbs, Yoona would take the chances.

 

She then remembered Seulgi’s reminder before the bear sent her off to get her girl.

 

If she really means something to you handsome unnie, you will take the risk.

 

And Yuri really means something to Yoona. That is why she is here, taking the risk of getting hurt just for Yuri.

 

“I’m an orphan Yuri..”

 

Dugeun. Dugeun.

 

The Kwon then became silent. She was taking her time absorbing what she just heard and analyzing if what Yoona said wasn’t one of her antics.

 

“I was left behind in the front door of an orphanage when I was seven with my baby sister. Our parents were s for making kids with little knowledge and passion of raising one. So, as if what they created were bunch of garbage, they abandoned us for the nuns in the children’s home to take care of..”

 

No.

 

This wasn’t one of Yoona’s playful antics.

 

Yuri could see the emptiness and blankness in Yoona’s eyes as she stared at them. This was the very same view she witnessed back during the time she saw the kid smoking inside the bar before.

 

 

“Maybe it’s that factor that made me run away from you even before you knew it..” Yoona chuckled bitterly and shook her head in resent. “I have felt abandoned my whole life and I subconsciously made you feel the same by vanishing on you.. I’m sorry Yuri…”

 

This was the same feeling of connection she felt as well.

 

As to why Yuri felt so alike and clicked with the Im was now answered by this fact.

 

Yoona was just as lost as her too.

 

Knowing nothing how to respond and make the blues surrounding them evaporate into thin air, Yuri pulled Yoona into her embrace and held her tight in her firm, muscular arms.

 

She felt Yoona froze at the sudden contact of their bodies and eventually relax under her hug. The doe-eyed girl gently nuzzled her neck on the Yuri’s and the Kwon felt herself blush at the action.

 

“I’m sorry Yuri..”

 

“Sssshhh..” the tanned cop hushed the girl as she caressed her back, “It’s okay.. It’s okay now..”

 

Yoona wanted to cry. Wanted to tear up as she suddenly felt the rush of warmth and affection from the simple embrace Yuri is giving her. She would want to stay like this forever. This felt nice.

 

But the doe-eyed girl decided to pull away. She suddenly wanted more than just Yuri’s body on hers.

 

“Did I tell you how amazing you are?” Yoona whispered fervently, her hands cupping Yuri’s cheeks as she brushed her thumbs over those soft, smooth skin.

 

And for the first time in forever, Yuri doesn’t seem to mind the proximate distance she has with another person.

 

“No you haven’t..” the tanned girl replied with an equal intensity as Yoona’s ardent act.

 

“Well, you are an amazing woman Kwon Yuri… And this…” Yoona then gently grazed her thumb against the bandaid attached on Yuri’s cheek, “..you’re not worthy of this..”

 

“It’s a part of my job Yoona..”

 

“Then let it be my job to protect you…”

 

.

 

Is this her heart Yuri could hear beating so fast?? What’s this funny feeling churning inside her stomach?

 

“Let me protect you with all that I have Yuri. And it’ll be the only thing I know for the rest of my life..”

 

Yuri stared.

 

Stared and stared at those shimmering doe-eyed gawking at her.

 

She could feel the sincerity, the candor in Yoona’s words that the feeling of saying yes was overcoming her.

 

Is she ready to trust again??

 

Slowly, she could see Yoona’s face drawing nearer her. It was getting closer and closer and Yuri felt herself leaning over as well.

 

Until they are only centimeters away from each other’s lips—ready for those pink muscles of theirs to touch.

 

Just one tilt more and—

 

“Yuri—“

 

Fudge.

 

Yoona and Yuri quickly pulled away from each other, stood randomly as if to look natural, and glanced over the newcomer.

 

Sooyoung.

 

Fudge Sooyoung.

 

The tall girl innocently blinked her eyes as she stared at the two figures awkwardly standing from each other. The Choi curiously noted the doe-eyed person standing beside Yuri.

 

“Who are you?”

 

“Uhmm, she’s my friend..” Yuri answered on Yoona’s behalf. “She just dropped by but she’ll be going soon.”

 

Sooyoung eyed the Im from head to toe and mentally remarked that the girl was drop-dead gorgeous. And it’s coming from a beauty critic that is her.

 

“Well, the car’s ready. We should go. Irene’s waiting..”

 

Yuri nodded. “I’ll be there in a minute..” Sooyoung took a last look at the two women before stepping out of the Kwon’s office.

 

“Waahh..” the tanned girl silently huffed. “We almost got caught..”

 

She then heard Yoona giggle beside her. “Got caught of what?”

 

Eyy. Playing forget once again huh??

 

“Do you want to die?” Yuri threatened. This made Yoona giggle even more.

 

Just when did this juvenile’s laughter started to sound harmonious in Yuri’s ears?

 

“In your arms? I’d love to..” Yoona teased even more. But this only received a hit from Yuri’s solid fist.

 

“I need to go..” Yuri started after their playful snickers died down, “They found where Taeyeon was admitted and we’re gonna check on her.”

 

“Okay..” Yoona nodded before reaching for Yuri’s hands, “She’ll be fine. Taeyeon’s a strong woman..”

 

And Yuri could only smile. “I know..”

 

“Well, you should go..”

 

“You?”

 

“I can wait here if you want me to..” Yoona offered with a sweet smile.

 

“You will?” The Im nodded.

 

And Yuri could only smile even more. “Okay..”

 

She then got her gun above her desk and slid it inside its pouch somewhere in her waist before heading towards the door. The tanned cop was about to turn the knob when she remembered a thing she had always imagined doing.

 

Turning herself, Yuri abruptly paced back to the Im behind her and landed a soft, loving peck on the girl’s cheek, lingering her lips a little longer than a peck has been defined.

 

“Don’t you ever disappear on me like that again, Im Yoona..”

 

Grinning from ear to ear, with a hint of red tainted throughout her face, Yoona replied with an honest,

 

“I won’t, Kwon Yuri.. I promise..”

 

 

 

________________________________________

 

A/N: Hey, I’ve updated! ^^ I wish this is enough to keep you alive after that shocking news of Yoona getting a solo song. Yaaayy!!

 

To all Yoonaddicts out there, do know that I felt as surprised, happy, teary-eyed—name it all—as you after hearing the news AND hearing the song. Wasn’t it too sweet and fitting for our Yoong’s voice?? I was exploding with happiness that she get to show her talent in singing *cries with joy. Aigoo~ If you still haven’t, do watch the MV in YT guys or buy the song in iTunes! ^_^

 

Anyway, write me something about this chapter. Was this long? Kekeke. Fighting!

 

-f9gg