Of new things

Catch Me If You Can

 

A/N: Wow. I never thought my story would affect you guys this much, so much for someone to bash me for being in a long hiatus and the useless-irrelevant chapter I posted, in the comment section :D You could’ve PM-ed me though, if you’re that butthurt. We could’ve talk things out :) (you know who you are *wink)

 

Anyway, those wave of wonderful comments and that disappointed one inspired me to create this update much sooner than I expected of myself to make. See? Sometimes, all your author here needs a little push and conversation to motivate me. It’s not easy to make a chapter, you know. Kekeke. Especially if I feel that no one’s reading my story—because no one’s bothering to tell me how is it! Hahaha!

 

Finally, just wanna tell you guys that I’ll be in a two-week vacation and I’ll not be able to write anything for this story and my others throughout that length of my trip. If nothing bad happens to me, I’ll be able to post an update as soon as I’m done soul-searching ^_^ Tell my other readers for me please? ^^

 

Now, enjoy reading. Don’t forget to write me something :)

 

 

________________________________________________________

 

“Handsome unnie??”

 

Yoona has been called with a lot of names. She got a lot of them from her childhood.

 

Alligator Yoong.

 

Im Choding.

 

Ago-Yoona

 

Im YoongYoong

 

Name it and maybe the doe-eyed girl might as well dig up from her case of memories in her mind to look for it.

 

But recently, having called handsome is new to her—feeling embarrassed and shy whenever a particular bear would spit it out like she’s the sacred Mary.

 

She just wouldn’t admit it out loud to the younger girl’s face.

 

“Stay where you are, Seulgi..” she spoke, stern but soft at the same time.

 

“Uh, why?”

 

Yoona, whose back was facing the door, briefly turns her head and glances up to the figure standing few meters behind her, before getting back to what was keeping her busy.

 

“I’m stitching up my wound…It looks awful..”

 

Seulgi chuckles at this and quietly notes the slightest hint of concern in Yoona’s words. She’s good in reading between the lines. She doesn’t need a dictionary to know that the Im was troubled to see Seulgi going crazy should the girl takes the view of her goddamn laceration.

 

Which the Kang wouldn’t.

 

As stubborn as she was, Seulgi finds herself walking towards the bed where Yoona was seated. The doe-eyed girl side-eyed her and shook her head.

 

“You never listen, don’t you??”

 

Yoona heard the girl letting out a chuckle once again before moving to the side where Yoona’s wound was being attended to.

 

The younger girl gently extended her hand and looked down at the seated Im expectantly. It was only after a couple of blinks and a low grunt that Seulgi got the hold of the needle and scalpel.

 

“I see that Jessica unnie didn’t tell you how I was once a medical student before dropping out..”

 

“You were?” which earned a nod from the bear.

 

Yoona seemed surprise, blinking her doe-eyes a couple of times before collecting herself.

 

It’s not that Jessica didn’t mean to tell her. The blonde just didn’t have the time to orient her more about her cousin after the sudden twist of events days before.

 

To which Yoona personally thinks was a blessing in disguise.

 

Jessica gets to admit that she’s already falling in love with Taeyeon—something that she never really expected from the girl to say out loud.

 

And Yoona herself getting a better awareness of who she really was for Yuri and vice-versa.

 

Everything just seemed too fine at one glimpse.

 

Thinking that maybe she and Jessica would get their own happy endings with their respective persons in due time—and that they’ll live a normal life just like what people who likes other people do.

 

But no.

 

They are not just any other people.

 

They’re hired killers.

 

Fate is cruel and soon, in one way or another, Yoona knows that they will suffer the that is karma.

 

It’s only a matter of time.

 

“Who stitched this up unnie?” Seulgi’s inquiry made Yoona to deviate herself from her thoughts.

 

“Uhm.. Your cousin.. Why??”

 

“This looks terrible. Like she did it out of urgency or something.. No wonder why your cut is not closing unnie..”

 

Seulgi clicked her tongue at the end of her sentence before focusing at pruning the thread laced around the open wound in a clumsy manner.

 

She’ll stitch it up for the best this time.

 

“Sica hates blood. Above all people you should know that..” Yoona defended, her body getting weaker as the feeling of her wound excruciatingly opening dominates.

 

“I do. But don’t get me started with you getting sewed up by a blood-hater Jessica Jung when you could have gone to the hospital instead, handsome unnie..”

 

If it wasn’t because of her pet name at the end of the Kang’s sentence, Yoona would think that Seulgi was actually scolding her.

 

“I presume you know why I can’t risk going there right, Seulgi?”

 

Yoona’s eyes met that of Seulgi. They stared like that for a while before the younger girl’s attention focused back to Yoona’s shoulder.

 

They were on the same page.

 

“I think I do..”

 

The answer was curt. But it was enough to make Yoona at ease—at least for this matter—that Seulgi seemed to have the slightest idea as to what she and Jessica was doing.

 

“Though I don’t get why you two are doing this..” the younger added.

 

And Yoona just knows how to answer that, “It’s a long story..”

 

“I have a lot of time..”

 

Quick and smart.

 

Yoona immediately thought after hearing the kid’s answer. But she isn’t the one to falter that easily.

 

“But I don’t. I’m even having a hard time keeping myself alive after someone from your family clumsily stitched me up when I got myself stabbed..”

 

Witty and stunning.

 

Seulgi thought of the Im after hearing her response. She lets out fits of giggles at this.

 

Alright. She gives up. This handsome unnie has a lot more experience getting out of a conversation in such smooth way than hers.

 

“Arasso.. I’ll stop prying.. But you better have another set of anesthetics unnie. I’m gonna sew you up for real..”

 

But Yoona could only reply, “Who said I use anesthesia?”

 

For the first time, the Im saw Seulgi’s crescent eyes widen in surprise. She thinks it was a lot cuter than the bear’s eye-smile.

 

“Y-you don’t use—”

 

Yoona shook her head coolly.

 

“No.. Buying it without a medical prescription would be very suspicious.”

 

Then there’s that Kang eye-smile again, showing off as the med school dropout exclaimed in amusement.

 

“Wow! I always thought you’re so cool unnie.. But I never thought you would be THIS cool! Waahh..” Seulgi was grinning breathlessly.

 

“That’s sick you know! You not needing anesthetics at all.. I mean, it’s painful, like really really painful—“

 

“Seulgi—”

 

“..it could be very sore and throbbing, cause you know it’s an open wound and I have to close it using a needle—“

 

“Seulgi—”

 

“..and you know needles are horrifying.. Gaaah! They’ll pierce your skin like—“

 

“Kang Seulgi!”

 

The rambling stopped. And all that was left was a puffing Kang Seulgi and a calm Im Yoona staring at each other.

 

The older was the one to smile gently at the younger.

 

“Just do it.. I’ll be fine..”

 

Seulgi nodded profusely at the statement before gathering herself for the big operation she is yet to conduct.

 

Now Yoona knows why the girl dropped out of med school.

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

“You must be Jessica..”

 

An unfamiliar voice resounded throughout the quiet room where steady beeps could be picked up.

 

This made the blank spaced Jessica to turn her head towards the direction of the voice.

 

Squinting her puffy eyes, she saw three figures standing at the door. She obliged herself to stand up.

 

“I am… And you are?”

 

The three figures slowly sauntered towards the edge of the bed, with the second tallest moving closer to the stretched out person on the bedstead.

 

She saw how the second tallest carefully observed her, as if she was a specimen in a laboratory. Nevertheless, Jessica reciprocated the stare, boring holes at the cop that her dongsaeng had a thing with.

 

She must admit though.

 

The woman was utterly charming and attractive.

 

Not to mention the way her stance screamed control and level-headedness.

 

“I’m Kwon Yuri… Taeyeon’s bestfriend. These are Inspectors Choi Sooyoung and Bae Irene. We are from Seoul Police Department..”

 

Jessica perfectly knew who they were. But decided to nod gently as if she is really meeting their faces for the first time.

 

“How is she?” Yuri asked, eyes travelling all over Taeyeon’s unconscious body.

 

“The doctor said she’ll be fine in days time. Said it was a good thing she was rushed here immediately. She’d lost too much blood when she got here..”

 

Jessica saw the worry in Yuri’s eyes as she reached for the patient’s hand. It must’ve been due to the lightings in the room or her swollen eyes that the features of Yuri suddenly flashed of Yoona’s for the Jung.

 

She could only blink the hallucination away.

 

“Are you the one who drove her here?” Yuri asked.

 

“Yes..”

 

The tanned cop looked up to search for Jessica’s eyes and when she did, the Jung never bothered to look away. Something in those orbs made Jessica think that she’d seen it somewhere before she even knew the cop through Yoona—though she can’t remember when and how.

 

“How did you even know about it?” a voice from the other side of the bed echoed, making Yuri and Jessica turn their heads.

 

It was Sooyoung asking.

 

“I mean, Taeyeon’s whereabouts and what happened to her… How did you know, Jessica-ssi?”

 

The inquiry should sound like an innocent question. But Jessica got herself thinking that it sounded something more—like she was being cross-examined.

 

Especially when the tallest cop’s eyes were flickering of pure curiosity.

 

“That’s between me and Taeyeon to talk about…” Jessica coldly replied, glaring at the tallest girl before she could even stop herself.

 

“What’s the difference between telling her and telling us?”

 

“Sooyoung—“ Yuri wanted to barge in but she was immediately cut.

 

“She gets to kiss me and you don’t. She gets to see me and you don’t. She gets to sleep with me and you don’t. She gets to make me , and you don’t. You see the difference?”

 

Sooyoung raised her hands up and made a face implying how she got the petite woman’s point.

 

“Yeah yeah.. Sheesh.. You’re strange sense of logic and graphic exemplification made me understood woman..”

 

Jessica smiled in sarcasm.

 

Irene felt her ears go red.

And Yuri could only stare amusedly—giving Sooyoung a quick glance and mentally chuckled at how the Choi made a fool out of herself.

 

The Jung doesn’t seem to be the girl that’d be messed around.

 

“Anyway, thank you, Jessica-ssi. If it weren’t for you, I don’t know what could’ve happened to Taeyeon..” said Kwon Yuri in a soft tone.

 

For all that’s happened, her bestfriend is safe now—and that’s because of this petite woman named Jessica Jung.

 

“Anything for Taengoo..”

 

 

 

“Anything for you, Taengoo..” whispered Jessica as she the sleeping Kim’s tresses.

 

Having to meet Kwon Yuri days ago, her dongsaeng’s person and her person’s bestfriend, Jessica had never left Taeyeon’s side and had been in the hospital room as much as Taeyeon does.

 

It wasn’t because the tanned cop had been adamant in staying with Taeyeon and keeps on insisting that she should take a rest (to which are the exact same words of Yoona who’d been calling her to spend a night in their condominium)—and she, Jessica Jung, making a promise to not go home unless Taeyeon’s wake up.

 

Not even close of the fact that Tiffany, the one claiming to be Taeyeon’s fiancé, was Taeyeon’s doctor and was in a constant visit to the patient. The two of them keep things professional and only talk things concerning Taeyeon’s condition.

 

Rather, it was more because of the tanned cop’s words that made her want to stay much closer to Taeyeon than she already is.

 

Is Taeyeon engaged to someone?

 

She remembered asking that to the cop before the latter could step out of Taeyeon’s room the night Yuri first came to see her bestfriend.

 

Jessica recalled how Yuri’s face screamed of nothing as she stared back at her—too much calmness and poise that gave Jessica a hard time to tell what’s going on inside the girl’s mind.

 

That’s why once she got the answer, she could only hitch her breath in anticipation.

 

Anticipation for Kim Taeyeon to wake up soon because Yuri just had to reply

 

It’s not for me to tell, Jessica.

 

Looking at the sleeping figure, Jessica, for once in her life, implored from someone above to grant her wish, her prayer.

 

“Wake up now, Taengoo… I’m here waiting for you…”

 

Her prayer of seeing Taeyeon flutter her eyes open, craning her neck to the sides to get a better view of surrounding and landing her eyes on the blonde woman who’ve been waiting for her living presence.

 

Jessica prayed that her prayer be granted—even this once—to ease her racing heart and hazy mind full of questions that only Kim Taeyeon could answer.

 

“Just open your eyes Taeng…”

 

Because that is all she ever wanted right now.

 

To see Taeyeon staring at her the same way she stares at her right now.

 

So imagine Jessica Jung, mouth ajar and eyes closed to tears, when she felt a light tug on her hand that was entangled with Taeyeon’s.

 

Imagine the player Jung breathing hundreds of promises not to play with people’s hearts again when she saw Taeyeon fluttering her eyes open, weakly craning her neck to the sides to get a better view of her surrounding, and eventually landing her chick eyes to the person that had been waiting for her living presence, standing beside her with her misty eyes and breaking state.

 

That when the moment the already conscious patient opened , the Jung tried to hold back the tears that were close to flowing.

 

“S-Sica..”

 

Jessica locked her lips with Taeyeon straightaway.

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

“This is ing hard..”

 

Yuri heard Sooyoung curse under her breath.

 

They were on their typical office days where Yuri would be resting in her seat, skimming over papers while her new colleagues, Sooyoung and Irene, laze around the station waiting for some actions to pop out of nowhere.

 

Okay not really.

 

Yeah, scratch that part.

 

Because the real thing is—here they are—Yuri, Sooyoung and Irene—restless and famished as they dissect every fraction of information they could squeeze out of the inadequate traces they have.

 

“Language Syoung..” the Kwon reminded, eyes stuck at the papers she was reading.

 

She heard the tallest girl grunting lowly before speaking again, “No fingerprints. No CCTV footage. Not even a damn spilt end! Just who is this person Kim Young Min hires?!”

 

Yuri said nothing. She just threw a glance at the huffing figure that is the Choi before reading the papers in her hands again.

 

But she cannot deny that she shares the sentiments of the tallest one, internally annoyed by the fact that they aren’t getting any progress in the investigation they’re conducting—leading them to nowhere but wasted time and effort decrypting this seemingly codified identity of Kim Young Min’s hired killer.

 

“And here I thought everything will be easier when we’ve relocated here. Damn you Yuri and your private investigation…” Choi Sooyoung hissed.

 

Yuri could only reply calmly. “I never told you to join me..”

 

“That is correct but you’re up against the man we’ve been assigned to keep an eye out. You have a better idea as to what Regional Chief could be up to. What else can we do??” Choi shrugged, defeated.

 

“Then stop complaining and just dig up Choi Sooyoung..” Yuri retaliated.

 

The duo’s classified reason for being relocated turned out to be the Regional Chief that Yuri confronted. Rumor has it that the man is involved with under-the-table businesses with an unknown mogul and that this hearsay is all over the police enforcement—to the point that it almost made it to the office of the Minister of Defence.

 

Knowing how it is a great threat to the reputation of the police enforcement, the Director of Defence gave orders to send out people in the police department to affirm these claims—as stealth as it could be.

 

Then there’s Choi Sooyoung and Bae Irene—the chosen ones.

 

Kwon Yuri could still remember the stern expressions of Irene and Sooyoung when she spilled that the rumors of the known felon-hater Chief are not mere accusations at all.

 

“Whoever this is, he’s brilliant. Look at all these kills..” Irene stated, darting her eyes from one article and picture to the other that were messily pinned at the makeshift framework of cases Yuri created.

 

“Correction. She’s brilliant..” Sooyoung casually said, getting up from her seat to join Irene standing over the board.

 

“Whoever she is, she’s one damned ..”

 

This caught the attention of the Kwon that made her halt in her skimming and put all her focus to the speaking ladies across her table.

 

“You really believe that our suspect is a woman?” Irene asked the tall Choi.

 

“Of course. As what I heard from the witnesses’ statements, Kang Joon Hae’s killer was clearly a woman. And this poor man was one of the victims in KYM’s ruthless killing spree. There’s no other way to see it. Right Yuri?”

 

Sooyoung and Irene turned to the now staring Kwon who seemed to be in a very deep thought.

 

“We are yet to confirm that with enough evidences, Syoung..”

 

“Aren’t those statements enough to call it evidence?”

 

“No. We still need something more..”

 

The scrawny cop opened , about to respond, but a knock on the door stopped her from doing so—with Yuri mouthing her to get it.

 

Like a whip puppy to her master, the tallest just had to obey the Kwon’s order, knowing how much they are keeping this private investigation they’re doing, well, as private as possible.

 

When she opened the door and let her tiny head peek out, she saw the always glaring Minho standing opposite of her.

 

She returned the glare, “What??”

 

“Where’s Yuri noona? There’s something here for her..” the man said lazily.

 

“I’ll give it to her.” Sooyoung extended her hand for the envelope that Minho was carrying. But the man had no plans in giving it.

 

“Come on, dickhead. I have no time for this..”

 

“What are you guys even doing there?”

 

But Sooyoung really has no time for the guy’s antics and his arrogant face. Really.

 

Quickly, she grabbed the envelope from Minho’s hand a little bit rougher than she expected. But she was not sorry.

 

“None of your ing business. Now shoo..” before slamming the door right unto the other Choi’s face.

 

Sooyoung could only chuckle evilly.

 

“What’s that?” Yuri’s voice interrupted her and it made her walked passed Irene and hand over the piece of document to Yuri.

 

“I don’t know. That Minho guy just said it’s for you..”

 

Yuri wasn’t expecting a delivery from someone. She’s never received any for a little over three years—the last one coming from her mother for the books she forgot to bring from New York.

 

So imagine Yuri, faintly surprised, to see this one page document inside the envelope with few written words, carrying a lot more information than she ever read from the papers she’d been reading.

 

“Uhm, Syoung? Didn’t I just tell you we need enough evidence?” Yuri asked all of a sudden, her eyes never leaving the file in hand.

 

This confused Sooyoung but replied anyway, “Yeah, why?”

 

Looking up, everything for the three cops just seemed to fall into places, as they realized what the miraculous delivery had just given them, with Kwon Yuri displaying everything that they’ve been looking for.

 

“We’ll go get them ourselves..”

 

Han Jaejoon, 30 years old, Friday, 2000 hours, La Villa Club, Seongdam-Dong District; hacked KYM’s data base last XX-XX-XXXX at 2345 hours

 

 

 

(on the other side of Seoul)

 

 

“Handsome unnie!”

 

Seulgi’s bear voice echoed throughout the house from Jessica’s room. Yoona, who was reading a book on the couch, heard it and sighed.

 

“What is it now?”

 

“Uhm, can you please see this? I don’t know what to do with it..”

 

Hearing a little trouble from the voice of the younger one, Yoona could only expect for worse. Kang Seulgi wasn’t only as young as her sister Hanna. She’s just as stubborn as she is.

 

“Didn’t I tell you not to touch any of Sica’s things? You’ll be dead if she knows you’re playing with her stuff..”

 

Yoona talked, approaching Seulgi across the Jung’s room where all of Jessica’s babies hang on the wall and rests on the desk.

 

“No, no. I was just playing my game here unnie. And suddenly this envelope thingy appeared on the monitor..”

 

With this, Yoona blinked. She knew what it was.

 

“Could you please open it, Seul..” the Im requested, standing behind the bear who was handling the computers.

 

The youngest clicked the virtual envelope flashing through the screen and voila!

 

“What is this unnie?”

 

Yoona could only wonder how much time is there left for her to spend her days employed under Kim Young Min—for her to taint her hands with the blood of people who make the man angry and pissed.

 

For her to silently sob inside her room, in the middle of the night, after killing an innocent life to suffice the will of her client.

 

Because right now, on this very moment, Yoona just had to read on the screen, vividly and fresh, the thing that has been her life throughout these years.

 

“That is my new assignment..”

 

 

 

__________________________________________________

 

P.S: I’m doing and writing and enduring all of these for the fandom and for the shippers. Because that’s how much Soshi means to me ^_^