Perpetrator

Catch Me If You Can

 

“Kwang Sun Hoo, Big Name’s Vice-President; Jang Kyung Jun, Jang’s Inc. Chief of Staff; Lee Sang Min, founder of Shockwave and Lee; Mark Shin; CEO of Highest Peak Enterprise…”

 

Eyes darted from one picture to the other, arms crossed against its chest and a stance with a high caliber of veneration.

 

Days have passed since the murder of Kang Joon Hae took place and no progress had happened since then to find the culprit who killed the man.

 

Not that Yuri did nothing.

 

Heck. She had been sleepless just to decode who was behind such smooth, clean slaughter.

 

Yet even with such honorable rank and huge determination to identify the murderer, if the uppers oppose the investigation, the Kwon is powerless.

 

At first she did not understood why the folder that reads Classified Cases, which she found inside a concealed cupboard in the station’s stockroom, was not included in the review Taeyeon had given her a couple of days ago.

 

Much to her surprise, the midget cop doesn’t even know that such folder existed until Yuri asked her about it.

 

As vigilant as she is, the tanned cop started ticking off that something is off. But she stayed silent.

 

Kept it to herself. Even to Taeyeon.

 

But when the Regional Chief summoned her to a private chat, Yuri once again proved that her intuitions never failed her.

 

 

“I’ll get straight Inspector Kwon. I do not like whatever you are trying to do.”

 

The man clad in a cop-usual attire announced, his eyes glaring firmly at the slender figure standing opposite of him.

 

But Yuri knows better than to falter from such intimidating stare.

 

Not when she realized what kind of person she was talking with.

 

“That unknown suspect pinpointed in the folder containing cases of murders I found, tell me Chief, do you know him?”

 

The Kwon’s query sounded more like a statement especially with the way she stood in front of the chief.

 

“Was he the same person responsible for Kang Joon Hae’s death and that man in the hotel?”

 

It was rather daunting. As if the Regional Chief was a culprit being interrogated.

 

“Did you not know that those cases existed and was hidden in the stockroom for like years now? Or you yourself hid them from the police for your own personal advantage?”

 

And the man did not like any bit of it.

 

Nonetheless, he remained composed and professional.

 

“You are already meddling into something beyond your limits, Inspector. Those archives were labelled ‘classified’ for a reason and I believe you were trained to follow protocols”

 

Yuri narrowed her eyes at the statement. Look who’s talking.

 

“Those felonies did not went through investigation process. They were left hanging and some were considered case closed even before they could reach the investigation bureau… I do not remember learning such directive in the protocols, Sir..”

 

It was now the man’s turn to squint his eyes at the probing cop.

 

“..unless you have ‘other’ protocols you follow and decided to turn your back from the police force who trusted you enough to put you in a prominent position and betray them for what, petty cash? ”

 

And that did it. The man’s eyes flashed a mixture of abhorrence and mortification.

 

“Watch your words, kiddo.” He hissed, his hands were formed into a tight fist.

 

This, Yuri let out a half-smirk—the very same one she flaunts whenever she is satisfied.

 

“I was right. You are behind this all along.”

 

The man blinked and glared at the dead-on statement of the cop. Never thought that a neophyte like the Kwon would be the one to uncover about it.

 

His ‘side-job’.

 

“You do not know what you are going into, Kwon.” He said. “So you better stay out of it.”

 

“No. You do not know what you are going into Sir.” Yuri replied, her tone even firmer and more certain.

 

“You are the goddamn Regional Chief for crying out loud and you’re supposed to help us seize lawbreakers! Not help them!”

 

The man blinked and breathed, wanting to stay composed at the attack.

 

Yuri stayed postured as she upheld her words. No one’s gonna stop her from saying what is true.

 

There was a moment of silence that engulfed between the two, both keeping that intense gaze they had for each other.

 

It was until the Chief slipped his hands into the pockets of his khaki and let out a heavy sigh that their absorbed stupor broke.

 

“There are more things in the world than meets the eyes, Inspector. You know that.”

 

“I do. That’s why I suspected that you’re involved with this matter, considering that you are the officer who should know about this beforehand yet you seemed not to care. Let alone, conceal all of those cases in the most hidden corner of the stockroom like a rotting secret you never wanted to unveil.”

 

With that, the man then let out a small chuckle. This confused Yuri.

 

“Are you trying to impress me then?” he asked. “A greenhorn like you has the tendency to get excited at the attention you get at the moment and is likely to desire more notice from the higher-ups.”

 

Amongst the things she would want to hear from the man, Yuri got this?

 

She incredulously scoffed for it.

 

“You really think all of this is all about politics, huh?” Yuri raised a tone at that but the man remained uninterested.

 

“..Let me tell you chief, I don’t risk my job, my reputation and my life here just to get a damn promotion.” Yuri’s orbs pierced through the man. “I do THIS because IT IS my responsibility.”

 

The Kwon was beyond serious with her words but that sloppy look written all over the man’s face never disappeared.

 

And for a split second, she remembered the exact, same look of the person who caused her sister’s life.

 

That unfazed, sluggish expression was excruciatingly identical to that of the man who stood uninterestingly inside the court room, just meters away from the teenage Yuri whose face were too puffy after sleepless nights of wailing on her sister’s murder.

 

Being the reckless adolescent that she was, she unconsciously attacked the man in the middle of the trial for wearing such casual face, looking like he did not took away a responsible child to her parents and a sweet, happy sister to young Yuri.

 

How she wished she could do the same to the man erected opposite of her.

 

She can strangle him to death even.

 

But Yuri knew she cannot do that.

 

Not yet.

 

“A million dollar.”

 

Yuri narrowed her eyes at the man once again.

 

“A million dollar to shut you up. Would that be enough?”

 

. Yuri thought.

 

The scoff she let out this time sounded so demeaning, wanting the man to feel how much he had tainted the integrity of the police force with his shallow and stupid conducts.

 

“You can eat that filthy papers later for dinner, Chief. I won’t give up my badge for that stupid dosh.”

 

Yuri managed to use honorifics to the man who never deserved his title.

 

The man smirked at the unending perseverance. He is unbelievably anxious and amused at the same time with the determination of this rookie.

 

“You’re so much like me before.” He commented with a small smile on his lips before he shrugged. “So what, you’re gonna chain me now and lock me up?”

 

Yuri stayed calm and breathed.

 

“No.”

 

This caused the man to raise his brow up a little.

 

“I cannot do that yet. Unfortunate as it sounds, I do not have any evidence that you are really involved with this. They are only allegations for now. Besides, even if I get out of here and announce to the world about what I know, no one’s gonna believe me. I’m a greenhorn after all.”

 

Something in Yuri’s eyes sparked and the Regional Chief did not like what she saw through those orbs.

 

“But I’m gonna prove it. I’ll do whatever it takes to prove that you’re somehow, at fault with these crimes. You and whoever it is that you work with outside the police department, I’ll make sure you can’t run away from the law with your shameful act. Remember my words, Chief”

 

 

An arm draped across her toned abdomen and the other one’s fingers idly her chin, Yuri was too absorbed examining the scheme-slash-outline she created on a board for all the murders included in the Classified Cases folder.

 

Dashes of red line and pins and strips of newspaper articles are embedded at the makeshift framework—an attempt to trace down who, why and how the perpetrator carried out all the spotless kills.

 

“Yuri-yah?”

 

An erring call of her name broke the tanned cop’s concentration.

 

“Yes Taeng?”

 

The said midget raised her head with her hair tied in a cute, messy bun. She was wearing her lenses and the thing was hanging nervously on the tip of her nose, causing the Kwon’s lips to draw into a small smile.

 

Her bestfriend is still a dork.

 

Taeyeon has been infront the computer for days, (just like Yuri has been in front of the board) trying to decrypt even just a little trace of the killer.

 

Among the two of them, the short person was the adept one in terms of computers and its complicated predicaments. When times like this comes, the Kim will always be the one to handle the PC’s and Yuri never minds. She liked it that way.

 

She knew that the device has a special place in her heart and it makes her see the good ole Taeyeon who used to trap herself in front of the computer all day long.

 

“What?” the short person asked. Her best friend just smiled out of the blue and that’s something… rare.

 

Yuri walked towards the computer geek, “Still a kid. Try pulling up your glasses so you can see better, dork.”

 

She let out a small chuckle and this somehow lessened the stress that the two of them chose to do.

 

The moment Yuri told her about everything about the Regional Chief, the hidden folder and the million dollar offer, Taeyeon knew that she can never leave her bestfriend alone with this venture.

 

Not when she knew how dangerous the case Yuri had decided to handle.

 

She cannot walk out on her.

 

“So, did you get something?”

 

Taeyeon slid up her lenses and focused herself on the monitor in front of her.

 

“If you’re talking about the suspect, still a no. He or she, is a professional killer I may say—leaving the crime scene unbelievably clean” the midget paused and clicked on her mouse. “But I have an idea as to who can be the BIG man who steers the wheel.”

 

This, the Kim looked up to the Kwon who was staring intently at the computer screen, the latter’s face contorted into a dead serious stare.

 

“Kim Young Min. Founder and CEO of KYM Industry.”

 

Yuri stared more at the details of the article in the monitor before she muttered, “KYM.. Kim Young Min..” She paused and tilted her head up to the board across them.

 

“It makes sense now.”

 

The Kim calmly stared back at her bestfriend who easily understood what she was implying.

 

“Suit yourself Inspector Kwon..”

 

Hurriedly, the Kwon dragged herself back to the board of cases she made. She grabbed a marker from nowhere and hastily made a pattern and lines across the pictures and newspaper articles plastered on the wood. Her face was very determined and her tongue was sticking out in fortitude.

 

Taeyeon eventually stood up from her seat and went to see what her partner was working on.

 

The marker stuck between her fingers, Yuri faced the Kim with such finality written all over her gesture and posture.

 

“All of the victims are somehow, in one way or another, related to Kim..” the Kwon blinked her eyes and Taeyeon stood seriously still.

 

In a snap, Yuri turned her head back to the board and started pointing the photographs and newspaper articles.

 

“Big Name’s Vice-President Kwang Sun Hoo initiated a project in partnership with KYM Industry two years ago but the said venture failed and wasted the hundred billion dollar investment of the KYM Industry..” the tanned cop briefly looked at the focused Taeyeon to make sure she is listening before continuing.

 

“Lee Sang Min, founder of Shockwave and Lee, was a former stakeholder in KYM Industry but cut strings with the latter and founded his own company. Last year, his corporation boomed in the market trade and had the highest income amongst Korean corporations—eventually leveling with the highest earning companies like KYM..”

 

Yuri’s eyes flickered back to her partner who was silently staring back at the board and her.

 

“And the recent, Kang Joon Hae, was reported to have withdrawn from a business contract with KYM just days before its authorization..”

 

Taeyeon sighed quietly at the given information. Even though she had grasped the information before Yuri could, she still thought that the man is evil. She had seen malevolent cases but this one is sure among the worst.

 

She took off her glasses and spoke, “Yup. Our BIG man is no other than that balding, wealthy tycoon. A very affluent businessman who has a poor sense of temper. Whoever makes him mad, he kills..” she clicked her tongue once and shook her head slightly. “What a sick creature..”

 

Beside her, Yuri remained composed. Her eyes glued back to the board.

 

Just like Taeyeon, the Kwon also thought that this man they are going against is indeed wicked. Money could have been the only thing running inside his head and nothing else.

 

But unlike Taeyeon, Yuri knew that this kind of person had long lost his soul and has no other place to go but hell. And the tanned cop would want to make sure that she will be the one to send this man into that hole.

 

“No wonder he could easily take away innocent lives just like that. He eats paper bills for breakfast and that dirty bucks do nothing to people but harm. Even the Chief fell for it.”

 

Taeyeon faintly shook her head once again. Now, they know that this is not just an ordinary task they need to resolve. Not when their higher-ups are illegally involved with these people.

 

“Now that we found who directed these murders, it is the directed person whom we need to track down.” Yuri said, jotting down her words on a part of the board.

 

“And that’s going to be harder than we thought.” Taeyeon sighed. She turned her body to get back to her desk but before she can do so, a disturbing grumble echoed inside the room.

 

GRRRRRRR..

 

That was Kim Taeyeon’s hungry stomach.

 

“Ehehehe..” the starving Kim smiled sheepishly. “I think my stomach also understood the difficulty of the case we’re handling. She easily gets hungry lately.”

 

Lame excuse.

 

But this somehow brought a smile in Yuri’s lips.

 

“Let’s take a break Taeng. Besides..” Yuri looked up at the clock hanging on the wall, “It’s past 10 already, way beyond dinner time.”

 

Taeyeon smiled at the proposition. “Alright. I’m gonna buy us some food then.”

 

She hurriedly grabbed her coat resting on a chair and briskly walked towards the door.

 

“What do you want Yul?”

 

Looking away from the board, the tanned cop spoke, “Just coffee, Taeng. I don’t feel like eating.”

 

“Alright. Be right back.” With that, gone was the kitten to find food, leaving the Kwon alone.

 

Or so she thought.

 

Yuri was too absorbed in concentrating at the board that it surprised her when she felt a vibration on her pocket.

 

It was her phone.

 

I’m at your office. Come and see me.

 

Reading the text message from this person, Yuri’s composed demeanor immediately turned annoyed. Her lips started twitching in irritation and she started talking to herself in silent.

 

“When would this girl ever stop bothering me?” she hissed.

 

Yeah. She is starting to think that she is cursed. The cursed Kwon.

 

All she ever wanted was to have a peaceful, noiseless life. But it seemed like in her state, she would never achieve that dream.

 

Not when an Im Yoona is surely existing in this world.

 

 

“Inspector Kwon..” a rookie cop knocked on her closed door that she replied with a polite ‘come in’.

 

“Inspector, someone is looking for you.” It was until she heard those words that Yuri finally looked up from the papers she was reading.

 

“Who is it?”

 

“Uhm, she said she’s your friend.”

 

Yuri raised a brow. A friend? But she rarely had friends. Taeyeon would not command a colleague just to talk to her. Too impossible.

 

“I don’t have any friends.”

 

Confused, the cop scratched his head. “But she said—“

 

“She?” Yuri cut the poor man’s word before he could continue.

 

“Y-yes Inspector. She—“

 

“Thank you for ushering me here..”

 

That voice. Yuri perfectly knows that voice. And even with just a voice, Yuri’s patience started running out in full speed.

 

“Miss, y-you can’t come ins—“

 

“I’ll take it here Sir. Thank you.”

 

Before the cop could even retaliate more, Yoona had forcefully closed the door. She smiled when she heard nothing from the man.

 

“Y-you!”

 

The Im, smiling, turned her head to the now fuming Kwon.

 

“Hi..”

 

“What are you doing here?! How did you— Get out!” Yuri had brought down the papers to the table and pointed at the door seriously.

 

But the stubborn kid firmly shook her head. “Uhm-uhm. From now on, I’ll be coming here to visit you everyday.”

 

“What?!” the Kwon’s confused-slash-agitated face made Yoona to stop herself from giggling at the adorable sight.

 

“Yup. You heard me right. I’ll be here everyday and you cannot even stop me”

 

Yuri scoffed incredulously. Just what is this juvenile up to??

 

“What are you talking about?! This is a goddamn police station! This is not the right place for you antics young lady! If you’re bored with your life, go do that somewhere else! Not here! Don’t disturb me!”

 

Yet much to the cop’s annoyance, the Im smiled even more.

 

“I’ll not be disturbing you. In fact, I’ll just be sitting here..” Yoona walked towards the couch and sat. “…and do nothing else. See?”

 

Yuri was now rubbing her temples in irritation. Too forceful but she ignored it. She need this growing headache to disappear. She has this feeling that she cannot let the girl do otherwise and she could only pray.

 

What did she ever do to deserve something as this??

 

“Oh and Yuri?”

 

Tiredly, the girl unconsciously looked up at the call.

 

She was met with the girl’s stunning, gentle smile that somehow alleviated the fatigue in her.

 

“My name’s Yoona. Im Yoona.”

 

 

Closing the door of her office, the grumpy Yuri muttered “I told you not to come”

 

But the person she intended to hear her banter coolly answered, “But I told you I would.”

 

Sigh.

 

Right. She has to remind herself not to argue with the girl when she had already made her decision. Within the days that passed, that is one thing that she discovered about Yoona.

 

“Have you eaten?”

 

Sighing, Yuri tiredly plopped on the couch, inches away from where Yoona was seated.

 

This habit was also the one she had unconsciously developed.

 

Within the days that passed, the younger girl would always drag the girl to the couch and push her to sit beside her when she would see that the cop was doing nothing in her desk.

 

The Im would say that it feels lonely to be sitting on the sofa alone and surprisingly, Yuri did not want to hear that lonely tone of the girl so she eventually gave in.

 

“I don’t feel like eating”

 

“Aigoo..” Yoona shook her head. “You do know that it’s not good for someone to look so unhealthy. I mean look at you! You’re getting skinnier every day that I come here.”

 

Yuri could only scoff at the words. This has become her habit as well. Scoffing at everything that the Im states.

 

“Says the one who is so scrawny.”

 

Yoona shrugged. “Skinny is the new y, you know.”

 

And Yuri scoffed. All Yuri could do is scoff.

 

Yoona? She giggled.

 

This is the response she would want to get from the cop anyway. Not a cold shoulder.

 

“Well, I know you would say that so..” Yoona started. "I brought you dinner."

 

She picked up the bag of food resting beside her and placed it on the lap of the Kwon.

 

Yuri who was surely agaped, really tried hard not to blush and coo at the sweet, simple gesture.

 

No one had got her a bag of dinner except her family and at rare times, Taeyeon. So this is a first from someone other than them, actually.

 

She turned her head to the side and met the smiling face of the younger girl who was stunning even with just a jacket and a hood as her attire.

 

“Don’t worry. I didn’t put poison in it…” Yoona paused and put on her thinking face. “But now that I think about it, maybe next time.”

 

This made Yuri to twitch her lips in slight irritation and glare at the younger, gaining a giggle from the Im.

 

And for a second, the cop thought she was hearing a tune of music.

 

“Thanks.”

 

Oops.

 

Her own words caught her off guard. Even caught Yoona off guard too.

 

You shouldn't have said that! You shouldn't have said that!

 

But when a smile crept unto the thin, luscious lips of the younger girl, Yuri don't want to regret saying her words of appreciation to the doe-eyed girl.

 

“Anything for you.”

 

 

***

 

 

“…so that’s why I was not able to call you. Forgive me please?”

 

“Hmm. Let me think about it.”

 

Taeyeon groaned.

 

The moment she went out of the station to buy food, she immediately fetched her phone and called Jessica.

 

After the day that she and Jessica made out, the two of them started seeing each other more often. They even exchanged phone numbers and have been calling each other most of the time like teenagers.

 

And Taeyeon really think that she is undergoing puberty once again with her current colorful thing with the Jung.

 

“I’m sorry please? I needed to finish what I was doing, really. Please understand me, Sica..”

 

The Kim was begging.

 

Through the phone.

 

Oh well.

 

But when she heard a small giggle over the line, she knew she was forgiven.

 

“What was that for?” Taeyeon found herself confused and smiling at the sound.

 

“Nothing.. I just find you cute, thinking that I’m really mad at you because you did not call for hours.”

 

“Well, are you not?”

 

“Why would I be, silly? It’s your job. I totally understand.”

 

Hearing this, Taeyeon grinned. It was a goofy grin.

 

If Jessica can actually see her, she would think she is crazy.

 

Well, Jessica is actually looking at her through her monitors. And the blonde thinks that Taeyeon is crazy.

 

“Thank you for not being mad, babe. I’m happy.”

 

A small giggle once again met Taeyeon’s ear and for a moment, she thought she was in heaven.

 

“Sica, I—“

 

“Taeyeon-ah!!”

 

But before Taeyeon could react, she felt a thin metal slice through her lower back that sent an electrifying pain all throughout her body.

 

“Holy crap! Taeyeon!!!”

 

The midget doesn’t know why Jessica has been screaming her name. She didn’t have any clue.

 

Taeyeon began blinking profusely at the sudden attack. As a cop, she should not panic and stay calm in times like this. But the ache on her back doesn't help. She wanted to turn around and see who did it but her body began to weak every second that passed.

 

The second stab on her back felt even more painful for the Kim as she felt the metal cut every fiber and tissue in her. She let out a small groan and eventually fell down on her knees as she hitch on her breath.

 

The perpetrator harshly kicked the wounded cop, making the latter to fall on her face.

 

“!! Taengoo!”

 

Breathing unevenly, Taeyeon shakily brought her phone on her ears and was trembling to see the back of the culprit who stabbed her. The black-hooded person was now calmly walking away from her and the Kim was starting to get hazy.

 

“S-si-sicahh..” she breathed. She wanted to say more but things 

 

“H-hang in there baby.. Hang in there.. I’m coming..”

 

 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

A/N: Bear with my late updates guys. I’m sorry for this lame chapter and for the errors if there were any. I'm not in my best these days :(

 

Btw, Yuri (feat. The Kwon Abs) was so HOOOTT in her High Cut pictures. Damn! Those were the images flashing in my mind whenever I would read a YoonYul fanfic where Yuri was the Seobang :D

 

Keep supporting SNSD and YoonYul! Fighting! :)