Faces and Encounters

Catch Me If You Can

 

Yoona has been waiting.

 

For hours.

 

It has been hours since she covertly parked her car on an area meters away from the Seoul Police Department. She was not initially intending to bring along a vehicle and drive, considering that her severed shoulder was still throbbing in pain.

 

But an idea suddenly hit her before she could even leave her place.

 

And that is, to give the BIG man Kim Young Min, a piece of her mind.

 

 

There was nothing extraordinary, really, on the way Kim Young Min's office stood in place.

 

It was just as neat and orderly as other working places should be. It even has the aroma of hastiness and rush, profoundly telling Yoona that the personality she was dealing with was indeed a man engaged in business.

 

But maybe it is the fact that a filthy person is calmly staring right through the Im just behind a desk that makes the place strange and…dark.

 

 

“Well, well, Miss Im. I never expected you to come and visit me today..” the man sporting the usual coat and tie inquired, feigning innocence as to why her most beloved assassin dropped in.

 

“After sending that man you hired, I don’t wonder why you never expected me to appear on your doorstep ever..”

 

“I don’t know what you’re talking about..”

 

But Yoona is not up to play with the devil’s game.

 

“My assignment, my business. Get your ing hands off them.”

 

As if what he heard was funny, Kim began chuckling. A dark, wicked, chuckle that even Satan himself would be afraid of.

 

He leaned his upper body on top of his table, resting his elbows against the shining furniture and clasping his hands together as he fixed his demonic eyes unto the scrawny lady across him.

 

The stare was scrutinizing—making Yoona feel undressed.

 

“Tell me Im, what’s with you and that cop, Kwon Yuri?”

 

Yoona narrowed her eyes, leveling the intensity of her stare as to that of the inquiring man.

 

She expected him to know about Yuri after she took her as her new mission. He has all the capacity and power after all. Yoona knows all too well that Kim Young Min must have known everything about the girl now—strengths and weaknesses all the same.

 

 And knowing his capacities, Yoona knows that he had sent people to snoop around them especially when she is with the cop.

 

“Is something going on between you two? Is that why it is taking you so long to just finish her and her accomplice, Kim Taeyeon?”

 

Kim was hitting all the right spots. And all Yoona could do is to squint her eyes even more.

 

“You know, it is so not your style Im..” Kim pointed out, arrogance explicit on the way he shrugged and raised his brows. “I always admire your rush and enthusiasm when it comes to putting down your victims. You are so prompt and smooth, one that is rare to find in the world full of witless people.. So why the sudden change??”

 

With the way his eyes sparkled, Yoona knew that she is nearing her edge.

 

Everything about him was pushing her to her limits—one thing that hardly happens to the girl.

 

“Is she really that good in bed?”

 

Now that definitely pulled something in Yoona.

 

Definitely.

 

Her hands unconsciously formed into fists and stare became all so dead piercing that anyone who would meet her gaze might burn.

 

But the Kim.

 

Seeing how enraged Yoona became after his statement, he pushed the baseless accusation even more, “Does she moan and scream your name that loud it blew your senses off?? Does she cope up well with your skilled hands, tiring you for coming every minute you her? I really wonder how it feels like to be under those yummy thighs, feasting and devouring every piece of her as she leaks and wets you..”

 

Kim paused, smiling his smirk like he’s a mad man, making it sure that the doe-eyed girl opposite of him would hear what he is about to say, “Tell me Im, is she really that tasty like I imagined her to be?”

 

All hell break loose.

 

And all Yoona could remember was the brief horror on Kim Young Min’s face when she started launching for him with only a shaking fist with her; the terrible pain on her injured shoulder when suited men started grabbing her; the high-caliber firearms that were pointed at her, and the victorious grin on Kim’s face that told Yoona that he was indeed a demon per se.

 

Bull.

 

She might as well kill the man on the very spot and die with the latter on the very spot with flying bullets piercing through her.

 

But she wouldn’t let the man talk about Yuri like that.

 

“ you.” Yoona hissed, clenching her jaw in anger. She could feel it—every tissue in her body was screaming wrath and despise.

 

“I’ll be the happiest if you do, Im..” Kim had the guts to reply, smiling evilly at the remark he found so accurate as an answer.

 

If only.

 

UGH!

 

If only she’s not trapped inside these men’s strong grip and the throbbing pain on her severed part, Yoona swears to the gods above she would murder Kim Young Min right on the very spot.

 

“Just remember that you have less than a month before your contract ends, less than a month to complete your assignment..” And all of a sudden, Kim’s voice turned flat dangerous that Yoona became cautious of what he’ll say next.

 

For this is one of her fears in dealing with this man.

 

“.. Either I’ll make you choose between Kwon Yuri and your sister. Or I’ll just take them both myself.”

 

 

Turns out, Yoona was given a piece of his mind instead, sounding more like an ultimatum rather than an advice.

 

Because until now, the last sentence was still blaring inside Yoona, bothering every part of her as she realized what could the statement mean.

 

With the way Kim Young Min spat all those words—hostility and antagonism bleeding through those phrases—the hired killer knows it ain’t pun.

 

And it’s not helping that she has been stuck inside this four-wheeled box for since god knows when, and Yuri was nowhere to find. She wasn’t even sure if the girl is in the police station.

 

Heaving a sigh, Yoona calmly reached for her phone and dialed a number.

 

It was answered on the fifth ring, “Sica, can you check if—“

 

“Unnieee!! Someone’s calling!! I’ll answer it, okay??”

 

“Don’t you dare lay your hands on my smartphone, Kang Seulgi!!”

 

“Alright!!”

 

And Yoona should reconsider her last statement about the younger when a cute, jumpy voice answered over the line, “Hello, most handsome unnie..”

 

She has to slightly roll her eyes on that, which is honestly infrequent for the deer.

 

“Seulgi, where’s Jessica?” Yoona replied flatly.

 

“Omo! Even your voice is handsome!” and a squeal.

 

The Im pulled herself away from her phone before she could even lost her eardrum.

 

“Unnie is in the bathroom, unnie. She asked me to answer her phone since she cannot as of the moment..”

 

Really.

 

Now she’s starting to go back over her description about the girl.

 

Quick-witted? Seems like.

 

Harmless? Umm-mm, I don’t think so.

 

“What the?! Gimme that, you bear! Go to your room!”

 

“Omo! Here comes Hitler. Bye, handsome unnie~ Ouch! I’m going now, no need to be violent Sica unniee..”

 

The Im could only imagine the chaos that is happening, hearing the tirades and noises over the line.

 

Wait, was that a shattering of a glass she just heard?

 

“Hey..” It was Jessica who answered now. Yoona then became anxious as to what fate Seulgi dealt with.

 

“Hi there..”

 

“Sorry about that.. Seulgi can be a pain in the sometimes..”

 

She didn’t see it coming. Yoona really didn’t.

 

But this statement coming from Jessica just triggered a tiniest thought inside her mind that maybe, just maybe, if Hanna wasn’t ill, her sister could have been a pain in the too, just like Seulgi.

 

Although yes, her illness itself was enough to give Yoona trouble, this naughtiness could have brought a familial smile on the doe’s lips—not like this one which screamed blues all over.

 

Because seriously? It is way better for the girl to be a troublemaker rather than to be dying inside the hospital room, suffer pain like it’s the most normal thing for a 20-year old, counting her remaining days like it’s the last thread of hope she got.

 

If only.

 

“So.. what’s the matter?”

 

“Is Yuri in the station? I’ve been waiting for hours outside but I can’t see any sign of her..”

 

“Uhm… Let me check..”

 

Computer keyboards snapped and Yoona waited a minute for the information.

 

“Positive. She is talking with—“ Jessica paused and Yoona could imagine how Jessica hesitated to utter the name. “She is talking with Taeyeon..”

 

Her friend is the type to tell everything.

 

From the way she won the 18-year-old boy she met making out with a hot 60-year-old granny, to how, in a detailed manner, the both of them did everything fleshy and exhausting all throughout the night. For all the years they have been together, Yoona had learned things about Jessica by heart and she can even fathom the girl’s next move even with her eyes closed.

 

But not this one.

 

Jessica never told her what happened between them and Taeyeon—not even the smoking-hot specifics about their make out sessions went out.

 

This must mean something for a player like the Jung to act this way.

 

“Wait… there are new faces here..”

 

Yoona scrunched her brows out of confusion and turned her eyes to the white-painted station. “Do you know them?”

 

“Nope.. Strangers to me..”

 

“Can you figure out who are those?”

 

Computer keyboards snapped and Yoona waited. “Choi Sooyoung and Bae Joohyun, or Bae Irene. Reassigned to Seoul Police Department, formerly from Daegu Police Department.. Grounds for relocation: Classified..”

 

 

***

 

 

“Classified????”

 

Taeyeon’s confusion reflected that of her creased brows. She was reading the documents of reassignment presented by Bae Joohyun and this part of the file caught her attention.

 

She eventually looked up to meet Yuri’s gaze, incredulity drawn throughout her face. The short cop handed over the folder to her bestfriend and with skeptic eyes, turned back to the bored-looking Choi.

 

“What is this supposed to mean?”

 

“And here I thought you were one of the few clever people in our class, Kim. Even a 1st grader could understand what classified means.” Choi Sooyoung spat out sarcastically.

 

This made a raven haired girl’s ears to perk. Reading the paper, she totally didn’t get it.

 

Too early for a pun.

 

Too much for a short-tempered Kwon.

 

“Cut the chase Sooyoung. What does it mean??”- Yuri.

 

“It means, “ Irene decided to get involve, breaking the intense atmosphere building up inside the room, “That we are not responsible for disclosing the actual purpose of our reassignment until given proper directives from the higher-ups. I already presume you know the protocol, Officer Kwon..”

 

Yuri’s intense gaze averted from the tall girl to the smaller one, maintaining the gravity of her stare. In her peripheral view, she saw Sooyoung shrug arrogantly, smirking like she had won the nonexistent argument herself.

 

In as much as she wants to wipe that conceited look on the tall girl’s face through a punch, she needed to remain composed.

 

She has a feeling why they were relocated. But Yuri wants to hear it from the two cops themselves. And she won’t stop until she gets what she wants.

 

“I do, Officer Bae. In fact, this thing..” Yuri gestured a hand, implying the one that they are currently in.

 

“…this thing that we are doing is under the protocol. You see, Memorandum No. 296 Series of 2012, if I’m not mistaken, is the exact imperative stating both our duties and responsibilities when it comes to repositioning. And it says that every police officer granted of reassignment shall be under proper introductions unto the guidelines and tasks assigned, including the nature of reassignment. He or she shall present vividly the aforementioned duties to the administrative receiver as soon as possible. And I presume that you,” Yuri glanced down to the document in her hand and back to Irene, “… being a cop for three years, knows about this directive, Officer Bae.”

 

Blinking her eyes away from the scrutinizing stare of the Kwon, Irene remained mum. Now she realized why they were given the task in the first place.

 

Because Kwon Yuri is exceptional.

 

“Now, either you tell me why this sudden reassignment of yours is labelled classified..” And Yuri really was when she determined, “Or I’ll call Chief myself about it.”

 

And that did it.

 

Both Sooyoung and Irene snapped their heads up, eyes blaring disapproval of the last proposition.

 

Yuri smirked.

 

“I knew it..”

 

The tallest one among them seriously raised a brow, her gag long evaporated from her tone. Cause she knew when Yuri says she knew it, it’s almost never a guess cops have mastered to intimidate criminals to speak.

 

“What do you mean you knew it?”

 

Standing on her feet, Yuri turned to Taeyeon.

 

Her partner was giving her the knowing look, batting her eyelids full of consciousness of the present circumstance.

 

Good.

 

That means she was picking up with the subject matter and had understood the situation like a pro that she is. One of the things she admired about her bestfriend is the girl’s attentiveness and aptitude to figure things out quickly. And so far, Taeyeon didn’t disappoint her.

 

“Let’s stop playing in the bush, shall we?” the midget now intervened, diverting her gaze to the two cops who looked like they were caught in the act.

 

“This is about the Regional Chief being involved in under-the-table dealings and us privately investigating about it, isn’t it?”

 

However, Sooyoung didn’t see this coming.

 

“So it’s true? That those reports and allegations about him aren’t mere frame-ups?”

 

Yuri and Taeyeon immediately turned to each other, both equally dazed and baffled with the sudden misdirection of events they thought would be the end of their dialogue, not expecting to hear a question as an answer to their question.

 

“So this isn’t about him?”

 

Sooyoung opened to respond but whatever words that were about to come out of did not even see the light of the day when a police officer suddenly opened the door and barged in.

 

“I apologize for being rude, Officers. But there’s a robbery happening in Sunny Bank Cheongdam-dong branch right now..”

 

Briefly turning their eyes to each other, the four lady cops had temporarily forgotten their last conversation and almost immediately became on guard.

 

“Let’s go..”

 

 

 

***

 

 

“This is S1255309 and we are on the run for the suspects driving a black SUV van, plate number NVK5081 along the Seongdang Highway, estimating 3.5 kilometers away from Busan Diversion Road. We need reinforcement, do you copy?”

 

Scrambling to talk over the walkie-talkie was Yuri who had her eyes affixed towards the black SUV van she and Taeyeon have been trailing behind. The motorway was neither congested nor empty, giving the robbers a big opportunity to over speed and run pass over other vehicles along the finely crammed highway.

 

The felons have started shooting them a while ago after spotting their police car with a noisy siren on top of its lid blaring throughout the streets.

 

And it wasn’t helping that they have lost Sooyoung and Irene and the other cops through the traffic jam they came across some kilometers away.

 

If it wasn’t because of Taeyeon’s remarkable driving skills and innate recognitions on street short cuts and reroute roads, these scumbags could have gotten away now.

 

“I repeat, we need reinforcement, do you copy?”

 

Just then, bullets started to fly towards them, forming holes and scratches on the poor vehicle Taeyeon was driving. As skillful as they were, the two cops dodged them and swayed the car to avoid the zooming pellets before it could reach them.

 

“Aren’t they running out of ammo? They’ve been shooting us for a while now. We can’t stay like this forever. I’m afraid my car’s gonna break into pieces soon, Yul.” The Kim on the wheels stated, glancing briefly to the Kwon beside her who had just pulled out her pistol.

 

“Let’s just try not to die here, Taeng..” the one speaking opened the window beside her before adding, “Keep it steady, okay?”

 

Taeyeon nodded and soon, Yuri’s upper body was now in the middle of the air, leaning against the edge of the agaped car window.

 

The Kwon pointed her rifle towards the moving vehicle and started shooting.

 

One.

 

Two.

 

Three.

 

And there comes one of the masked guys falling off the window of the van who tried to shoot back, likely being thrown out of the vehicle by the others when he was shot right into his brain by the mighty Kwon’s spot-on shot.

 

“That was sick!” Taeyeon amazedly commented when the sharp-shooter beside her got her whole body back into her seat.

 

“Uh-oh..”

 

But immediately panicked when she saw two of the robbers instantly retaliating at them, firing their handguns that seemed to have thousands of bullets.

 

“Ugh!” the driver midget suddenly groaned, making the dodging Yuri turn her eyes to her left.

 

However, before she could even grasp what happened to her partner, their car suddenly lost its control and started to go off course, wobbling on the road like a drunk man staggering his way.

 

The vehicle turned and turned, making the passengers dizzy every second that the out of control car makes another vomit-enticing spin.

 

It seemed like forever until the rebellious automobile stopped on its tracks, stopping off on the side of the road with its hood facing opposite the right-hand lane, making it vulnerable to a collide with other incoming vehicles anytime.

 

The Kwon, although unsteady after the hellish ride, was the first one to gather herself up. And the moment she did, a surprise instantly hit her.

 

Beside her, was the half-conscious Taeyeon, bleeding both of her shoulders, weakly leaning her back on the car seat.

 

“Holy shh—“ Yuri was on the brink of cursing, stopping herself on the very last second, “You’re shot Taeng!”

 

Trying her very hard to be awake and wincing at the throbbing pain on both of her shoulders, the short cop looked up to meet Yuri’s worried eyes.

 

“I-I’m fine Yuri-yah..”

 

But the Kwon knows she’s not. “Ani.. You’re badly bleeding, Taeng! Let’s get you to the hospital..”

 

Yet Taeyeon stubbornly shook her head, “N-No… Yuri, no… I’ll be fine here... G-go after those robbers..”

 

“I’m not leaving you here…”

 

“Y-you will…”

 

“Tae—“

 

Just then, a black shining Audi appeared out of nowhere and halted right on the very spot where the cops’ vehicle stood in place. Its door opened and revealed a scrawny doe-eyed girl on the driver’s seat.

 

Surprise was an understatement as to what Yuri felt.

 

“Need any help??” Yoona asked.

 

The astonishment of Yuri didn’t go unnoticed to her. She also saw the bleeding Taeyeon beside the raven-haired cop.

 

Yoona flinched.

 

The midget was badly bleeding.

 

“Taeyeon is shot, Sica…” she muttered silently, speaking through the phones attached to her left ear, careful enough not to make it obvious for Yuri to see.

 

She waited for an answer and Yoona didn’t expect to hear, “I’m going there, Yoona.. I’ll let Seulgi take over for a while. She knows how to…”

 

“Uhm-umm. No, Sica…”

 

But to no avail.

 

Jessica was not responding anymore and the next thing she heard was a younger voice of the bear-like cousin of the Jung.

 

“Hi handsome unnie…”

 

She sighed heavily, turning her gaze away from the stare of the Kwon across the vehicle.

 

“I won’t be talking to you, kid. Just keep the instructions and directions audible and precise. Understood?”

 

Yoona knows she sounded rude and cold but she can’t afford to blow their cover, with the possibility of Yuri riding with her.

 

“I understand, handsome unnie… Just stay alive out there while I get you to safety…”

 

Yoona pulled up a small tug on the left side of her lips and turned her head back to the raven-haired cop who seemed too daze to grasp her presence.

 

HONK!

 

HONK!

 

“What are you waiting for?? Apocalypse?? You don’t want to lose those bastards, do you??”

 

Blinking out of her stare and setting aside personal matters in mind, Yuri dazed out of her reverie.

 

Although the question of how Yoona appeared out of nowhere, driving a million dollar coach, and the fact that she must have been following them since god knows when, are the issues eating her curiosity, the black pearl reminded herself to be professional.

 

You’re gonna get your revenge on this kid later, Kwon Yuri… Just get your head on the game for now…

 

“We need to get Taeyeon to the hospital..”

 

“She’s gonna be fine. Someone’s gonna come and drive her to safety…”

 

Yuri was about to resist. Of course. She’s not abandoning her bestfriend.

 

But Taeyeon herself cut her to it. “Y-Yoona’s right, Yul… I’ll be f-fine…”

 

“But Taeyeon—“

 

“Listen to me Yul…” the bleeding Kim insisted. “G-go and seize those robbers… I promise I’ll b-be fine..”

 

She stared right through her bestfriend’s dozy eyes, and with the blazing determination firing through those hazel-brown orbs, a tiny voice in her head told Yuri that Taeyeon will be fine.

 

Perhaps.

 

“I’ll call Sooyoung to pick you up here. Just… try not to sleep okay?”

 

Taeyeon nodded with a weak smile.

 

Patting the midget’s head full of concern, Yuri exhaled deeply before getting off the bullet-holed sedan enclosing her wounded sister.

 

Although hesitant and cautious, the Kwon slid inside Yoona’s car, on the passenger seat, and buckled up, without even taking a glance unto the driver whose eyes never left her.

 

“Are you alright?” Yoona inquired.

 

Even though the girl sounded calm and reserved, the hint of worry in her tone didn’t go unnoticed by Yuri. But this didn’t shook her.

 

Not when she knew how many times the girl have hurt her through her subtle actions Yuri doesn’t even know if the deer herself knew she did.

 

“Don’t talk to me and just drive, Yoona. If you really want to help, that would do it…”

 

Yuri’s tone was rare.

 

It was shrieking of coldness and exhaustion—something that she never once raised when she’s speaking with the Im.

 

And for this once, Yoona complied to Yuri’s demand—without complain and resistance.

 

Stepping on the pedal and grappling the steering wheel, the doe-eyed girl drove away, with a cold Yuri beside her.

 

 

 

***

 

 

Taeyeon couldn’t take it anymore.

 

Every time she breathes, the pain in both of her shoulders doubles.

 

It doesn’t help that her vision is starting to get a little hazy and blur—shaking it off wouldn’t even help improve her dimming vision.

 

Would this be her end?

 

Please no.

 

There are still a lot of things she wanted to accomplish and do. She is still too young to die for crying out loud.

 

But if it really is her last moment on earth, she wanted to take a last glimpse of the people dear to her heart for the last time, at least.

 

Her loving parents who never failed to reprimand her for being childish; her goofy siblings who would always make her laugh; her best-est friend Yuri who was there to take care of her since diapers; the one that got away.

 

And a certain blonde who made her heart pound of excitement and created lasting memories from brief, fluttering moments she shared with Taeyeon together.

 

After this, the midget can rest in peace forever.

 

So when she saw a familiar petite figure standing inches away from her hazy stupor, glowing like a wingless angel sent from above, Taeyeon thinks she can now die with a smile.

 

“S-sicaahh…”

 

Yes.

 

She can now die in peace with the everlasting memory of Jessica Jung’s face in her heart and mind.

 

And everything went black.

 

TBC. 

 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

A/N: I hope this is long enough for an update. Kekekeke. I’ll be introducing the last character on the next chap. I know you guys have a hint as to who it is :D Can you guess what’s HER role? Hihihi. Merry Christmas everyone! ^_^