Chapter 9

Between You and Me

"I'll be right back," I said, panicking like a trapped mouse and looking for an escape.

"Way to go, Baekhyun, she's here two minutes and you already scared her off," the guy with the deep voice playfully chided.

"How do you know it was me?" The other boy asked defensively. "Maybe it was how aloof Kyungsoo has been."

This suggestion was met with a death glare from Kyungsoo who had been about to take a bite of his food.

"No, it's not any of that," I cut in, feeling my embarrassment level rising and my needs to get away for a minutes to calm down increasing as well. "I'm just going to the bathroom."

At that they thankful had no furthers comments so I stood to leave and couldn't help glancing at Kai again. He simply gave me another smile before I turned and made a beeline for the restrooms.

Thankfully they weren't crowded, so I didn't feel too guilty about locking myself in one of the stalls so I could sit and think in peace. I knew it was going to take me a while to get this all figured out since my brain was still having issues with just accepting that what had apparently happened, so I needed a place that I could think away from other people for now.

What was I currently trying to figure out? How to handle the fact that I agreed to date Kai without realizing I had done so until just a few moments ago when it became so painfully obvious.

There were a couple of reasons why I found this whole situation ludicrous and unbelievable, one just being the odds that something like this could ever happen to anyone. The other being that I met Kai three days ago, then two days later he confesses and ask me to be his girlfriend. I'd have a hard time believing Kai liked me in a normal situation if only for the fact that I'm not the kind of girl guys typically have crushes on. Being anti-social can make it seem like I don't like a person when I actually do. The handful of guys that have liked me, though, or at least acted like it either switched gears when they met Ga In, or had been rejected by Ga In and came to me for a rebound. None of them had been serious enough to ask me out on the second day of simply knowing the other person exists, though, so why had Kai?

I thought of our conversation last night at the café, how he had known my name even though I hadn't known his. It hadn't been just three days since we met for him. He said he remembered my name from the beginning off the year, which was weeks ago. He had known about me for weeks. More than long enough for someone to develop a crush on another person. 

Still, what about me would spark a crush in him?

It's not that I thought I was unlikeable, but while I thought I was pretty enough, I never thought it was enough for that. And I wasn't particularly outstanding in any other way either. I had good grades, but was far from being a top student. And as previously mentioned, I didn't have a ton of friends, or even a small group that would stand out in any way. I didn't have any friends here; the closest thing would be the couple of guys who recognize me thanks to Ga In. All I do when I'm here is take notes for class, do homework, and read. What's so appealing about that?

But then I remembered how he smiled at me just a moment ago, and I find it less hard to believe.

Still, for me it had only been three days, and I had no idea what he was like or anything else about him. Pretty much every time I saw him he acted different, and it wasn't until he said that he liked me (even though I misunderstood him, like an idiot) that I learned he didn't dislike me. I should tell him that it was a mistake, set this straight. It would be fair to him so he doesn't believe I like him more than I actually do, and then my first boyfriend could be someone I picked because I like them, not because I didn't hear the question. 

I stood up off the toilet filled with determination and had started unlocking the stall door before the anxiety settled in, reality falling over me like a shroud.

My hands dropped from the lock and I fell back onto the closed toilet, irritated at myself. 

I wasn't going to tell Kai it was a mistake, because that would mean rejecting him, worse than rejecting him. He had confessed to me and thought I had reciprocated his feelings and agreed to be in a relationship with him. If I went back and said I didn't actually like him back, and I just hadn't heard him, and that I didn't want to be his girlfriend, that would be horrible. Whether he liked me seriously or just happened to think I was cute, that would be bad to hear. I couldn't upset someone like that.

But if I didn't tell him, then that would mean I had to stay his girlfriend.

That couldn't be that bad, right? I might not know him yet, but I could get to know him. Maybe he would turn out to be a jerk and I wouldn't feel so bad anymore and can just dump him. Maybe he's a really good guy, though, and I could like him and we wouldn't have to break up. Maybe he won't like me much once he gets to know me and he'll be the one to break up with me and I won't have to do anything.

This could all resolve itself. All I have to do is get back out there and get to know the boy. Get to know Kai. My boyfriend.

This was definitely going to take some getting used to.

I got up and unlocked the stall door and walking out, resigned. I shouldn't feel resigned about having a boyfriend, but my non-confrontational nature wouldn't allow this to go any other way.

I made my way back to the table, realizing I had spent longer in there than I should have. Worries over that faded, though as I noticed there was a new guy standing by the table holding the stack of papers that, if asked to guess, I would say were the ones the girl from earlier had left. 

I really needed to learn her name.

"Sorry she's still going through you," the guy said to Tao.

"I really don't mind," Tao responded as I sat back down in my seat, watching their conversation and very much not acknowledging Kai.

This was going to be harder than I thought.

"What's up with you guys?" Sehun asked, not unkindly. "I've never seen you guys fight."

"I don't really feel like talking about it now," the guy said looking at me now. 

"Oh, this is Soo Young," Kai said, noticing his look.

I glanced at him out of habit from hearing my name, and he gave a smile that showed a bit of nervousness. Freaking adorable.

"His girlfriend," Baekhyun teased, making me more uncomfortable than he probably meant to.

"This is why you don't have a girlfriend," Sehun said to him.

"Why?" He demanded.

"Because you have the maturity of a five year old," Kyungsoo cut in, surprising me. I didn't think he'd said two words since we sat down, and not much before that.

"And who are you?" I asked the guy standing up, realizing he wasn't going to introduce himself.

"Oh," he said, smiling, "sorry. I'm Suho, the student body president."

"Can't forget the student body president part," the guy with the deep voice said.

"And you're name? I never heard it," I said, feeling like I might as well since I already figured out everyone else's. 

"Chanyeol," he answered.

"And I'm Baekhyun," Baekhyun said, though I didn't think it was necessary to tell him I'd already guessed.

I nodded, and started eating my food that I hadn't hardly touched as I noticed lunch was almost over. Lunch finished up without much else happening, which I was thankful for until I realized that Kai hadn't tried talking to me since we first greeted each other. While it made things easier on me, it was still a bit strange. He didn't talk much to anyone else, though, just a bit to Kyungsoo, so I wasn't sure what to make of his silence, or what he would make of mine.

"Can I walk you to class?" Kai asked me after dumped our trays.

At those words I felt my chest flutter and heat rushing to my face. I was immediately irritated, but then reminded myself that, intentionally or not, this guy was my boyfriend. It was okay to have a reaction like that to him.

"Yeah," I said, walking out of the cafeteria, Kai walking next to me.