Chapter 37

Between You and Me

After spending the previous day in a small room overflowing with pepole, it was nice to walk into the spacious dance studio where there was only me and him.

He had actually signed us up to use the room this time, which made me feel better about being in it. Jong In was going to get some actual practice in, and I was supposed to be getting my homework done. I wasn't, really, I was paying more attention than I should be to watching Jong In practice. I don't think I could ever get tired of watching him dance. Even when he was just practicing there was an effortlessness to all his movements, a fluid grace that I hardly noticed even professionals could pull off.

He didn't notice me watching, at first, because he was so focused on what he was doing. In the middle of a brief rest, he glanced up at me through the mirror, and our eyes met. He smiled at me for a second, before he started dancing again, a much more complex choreography than before, showing off. He was an amazing dancer, and he knew it. When he finished I smiled and clapped for him, thoroughly impressed. He turned toward me, all smiles himself, as he walked over to where I sat on the floor, leaning against the wall. He sat down next to me, facing me.

"Pretty cool, huh?" he asked.

"Have you always been this cocky or is it a recent developement?" I asked back instead of answering.

"I already explained to you last night, I'm not being cocky or egotistical, I'm just speaking truth," he defended himself.

"Whatever you say."

"Don't try and deny it," he teased, leaning in closer. "I saw the way you were watching me. You were more than just impressed."

I couldn't help but blush a bit; had my awe of his talent really been the obvious?

"Whatever," I said, not being able to come up with anything wittier to say as I looked away, embarrassed.

"Come on, Soo Young," Jong In said, reaching his arm around me and placing his hand on the ground on my other side from where he was sitting. His face rather close now. "It's only natural to think I'm amazing."

I turned my head back towards him, and I found myself unable to anymore.

"Yeah," I mumbled. "It is."

I saw his suprised expresion only for a moment before I was leaning in and kissing him, remembering last night and what he said he felt about my doing that. I didn't kiss him for long, it was more like a peck, as I was aware that there was a window to see into this room, and anyone walking down the hall could just happen to look in the room and see us. In fact, it'd probably be a bit awkward if anyone saw us just sitting like this, not even kissing.

Jong In's lips spread back out into a smile before he his bottom lip in, biting it.

If I didn't want anyone catching us kissing, it would probably be better for us not to be so close, so it wasn't so easy for me to throw myself at him like I wanted to when he did things like that.

In the next second, he had leaned in and was kissing me again. He didn't pull back immediately, like I had. His kiss was slow and deep, but sent my mind whirling, trying to remember why I hadn't wanted us kissing in the first place.

Suddenly, I head the door to the room opening and a woman clearing .

We practically jumped back from eachother, causing me to bang my head against the wall behind me. I was honestly a little miffed when I opened my eyes after the pain abated a bit to see Jong In wasn't even looking at me, didn't even seem concerned. He was standing up, face pink, eyes flickering down then up then down again. I looked in the direction, and saw a woman standing there, arms crossed, looking shocked. I stood up, wondering who she was. When I glanced at Jong In's face again, I knew. It was his mother.

Jong In's mom had caught us kissing.

My face flamed as well, turning a shade of red that I was sure put Jong In's blush to shame. I couldn't even look at her, forget meeting her eyes. I stared resolutely at the ground at least half a meter away from where she was actually standing.

What a way to make a first impression.

I remembered when Jong In met my mom, and how we had been having a moment then, and I was positive he was about to kiss me before she appeared. My cheeks grew even hotter at the memory. I coudln't help but wonder how Jong In had managed to keep his cool when that had happened. Then again, we hadn't actually been kissing at the time. We were really just standing on the side walk, talking. Kind of. While this time I was sort of up against a wall while he was kissing me in a sort of passionate way.

Was I over thinking how bad the kiss looked? Maybe. Did it detract from the fact that we had been kissing and that his mother had walked in on us? No.

"Hey," his mom said.

I chanced a glance up at her, hoping she would be looking at Jong In and not me, but I was only half right; her eyes were flickering between the two of us. I quickly dropped my eyes to the ground again after taking note of her expression. She didn't seem upset, but there was something about her expression that was a little off, I just didn't know what it was.

"I head you were practicing here with your girlfriend, so I decided to drop by," she began. I tried desperately to detect the tone in her voice so I coud understand what she was thinking about this whole situation, but I was so freaked out by what had just happened that I wasn't thinking compeletly straight, and I couldn't pinpoint it. "But I guess I shouldn't have," she continued on. "You guys seem busy."

Even with my brain so frazzled, I thought I detected a hint of amusement in her voice as she said the last two sentences. Still not having the courage to look up at her, I raised my eyes to Jong In to see his expression, hoping to gouge the seriousness of the situation from him, and if I was completely crazy in thinking she had been joking just then. But while his face was still a little pink, he didn't look like he thought he was about to get in trouble.

"Mom, please," he said, whining a bit.

I scrounged up my courage and decided to try and be gutsy by sneaking a look at his mom, again. She was clearly trying to restrain a smile, almost looking like she was trying to hold back laughter as she took us in. And then I realizd her expression had been off because that was what she was doing before, only she had more control a few seconds ago.

"No, no," she said, waving her hands in front of her, her smile breaking through a bit more. "I'm clearly interupting you guys' practicing."

"Oh my gosh," Jong In said, raising his hand to cover his face.

I was too much a mixture of relief and shock once it set in that she was teasing us to really be embarrassed by the comment.

"Oh come on Jong In," his mom said, not trying to hold back her smile anymore. She folded her arms in front of her and settled into a relaxed pose, all good-naturedness. "I've had two daughters before you, one of which is married, with kids. This is not the first time I have walked in on one of my children making kissy faces at someone."

I felt a laugh bubble up in my throat, and it probably would have escaped, too, if I hadn't rememered that I was the person her child was making "kissy faces" at.

"Mom," Jong In whined as he turned his back to me, hiding his face.

"I don't know why you're so embarrassed, Jong In. I'm not. I'm just suprised that you're suprised I caught you in the act while you were doing it in the dance studio that I own and run. As if this was some secret place that I don't have eyes and ears everywhere on you that let me know what you're doing when you're here at all times," she continued. She shot me a smile, which made me feel much better.

I was glad she didn't seem to think I was some hussy going after her son's innocence or something. That was honestly my worst case scenario of this situation. At least the one that I came up with in the last few minutes since this had started. I'm not very good at coming up with realistic scenarios under pressure, apparently.

"You have them watch me?" Jong In asked, incredulous, turning to look at his mother again.

"Even when you're in the bathroom," his mother said, nodding. "There is nothing I don't know."

"Oh my gosh," he said again, putting his face in his hands.

"I even know about the last time you brought Soo Young here," she continued on, suprising me when my name came out of . "Why do you make her come with you if she's not a dancer? Are you being a show off? Does he make you watch him practice?" this last question she directed at me, feigning a sympathetic tone. I could tell she was still teasing him, but he was in such a state that I wanted to help him, at least a little bit.

"I brought my homework to work on while we were here," I said, indicating the papers on the floor that I hadn't actually been working on, but had meant to.

"Still on question one?" she asked, eyeing the papers. "Yes, yes, I see you two got a lot of practicing done."

My cheeks turned pink again at the implications.

"Please stop," Jong In said, pulling his face out of his hands to show a pleading face to his mom. "You know, most moms would be upset about it and tell us off then feel too awkward about it to mention it again. Why can't you be more like that?"

"I already told you, you're sisters broke me in for this kind of thing. I caught your oldest sister in a closet making out with one of the students here when she was only sixteen. Honestly, I'm suprised it took so long to catch you. I've always heard that guys were more ambitious about these things at younger ages than girls were," his mom explained as she walked to stand with us. "It's nice to finally meet you, by the way."

"It's nice to meet you too, Mrs. Kim," I replied, extremely happy with the way this first meeting was going now, despite it's akward beginning, and the torture Jong In was now being put through. I felt bad for him, but I heard some stories from Ga In from when she had met her boyfriends parents that it could have been a lot worse for me. I feel like him being teased by his mom was a better result than a lot of others.

I caught Jong In's eyes, smiling at him so he would know I wasn't upset about the situation, and in fact found it kind of amusing at this point, although I was still slightly embarrassed. He heaved a sigh as he shoved his hands back in his pockets and stared resolutely up at the ceiling.

"So you guys met at school right? And it's Ms. Kim, actually," his mom said, turning to me.

"Yes, we have a class together," I answered, suddenly feeling shy.

"So you guys just started talking as result?" she asked.

My mind flashed back to the first time I had ever spoken to him, saying "I like your face", and I internally winced in mortification at the memory.

"Yeah, pretty much," I answered, smiling.