Chapter 8

Between You and Me

By the time my last class before lunch finished, I had managed to push the whole thing from my mind, at least for the most part. What's the point of dwelling on something I can't do anything about at the moment? Best for my mental state to pretend it doesn't exist for now. I know. Great plan.

I wasn't sure what I was going to do when it came time for my final class. Weird encounter with Sehun or no, I wasn't entirely sure how I was supposed to act with Kai. I didn't think we were friends yet, but we were friendly, I think. Should I just call him an acquaintance? Should I worry about labeling it? Should I just act like before or like we're friends now?

I'll just follow his lead. That's it. Problem solved.

"Soo Young?" I heard someone say as I was leaving the classroom to go to lunch.

I turned to see a boy from my last class trying to catch up to me. Assuming I had forgotten something I stopped and waited for him without much thought other than that another one of my classmates knew my name when I didn't know theirs. This wasn't as bad as Kai, however, because I did actually know this boy's face. My class right before lunch is an advanced math class that I have with some of the students in the grade above me. As it's advanced, and also a subject I like, I pay a bit more attention in there.

"Yes?" I said when he reached me.

"My name's Kyungsoo. I'm one of Kai's friends," he said with a friendly smile.

Another one? It wasn't that I was surprised that he had a lot of friends, just that they were apparently all bothering to introduce themselves to me.

"You're going to lunch now?" he asked.

"Yeah," I said, unsure how this conversation would go after this morning's. This guy seemed a lot friendlier than Sehun had, but looks could be deceiving.

"Let's go together," he said, moving to walk towards the cafeteria. I nodded and started walking with him, wondering why he wanted to walk to lunch with me. "So you're in year 10?"

"Yes. Are you?"

"No, I'm year 11."

"Ah," I said, not sure what else to say.

"Are you new?" he asked as we turned down the hall that lead to the cafeteria.

"No, I'm not," I said, surprised to be asked that twice in one day.

Was it seriously so strange to not socialize much with other people that they just didn't even notice me? Had I made myself that invisible?

"Oh," he said, giving me an awkward, apologetic look. "Sorry."

We kept on walking in silence until we reached the cafeteria and stood in line for our food, which we also did in silence. It was a little uncomfortable at first, but I was eventually able to forget he was even there. I finished in line after him, and started to head off to an empty table, when he called out to me.

"Where are you going?"

I stopped, turned, and looked at him, wondering why he cared where I was going.

"This is what I'm talking about," Sehun said, appearing next to me. "What kind of girlfriend doesn't want to eat lunch with her boyfriend?"

"What are you talking about?" I asked, taking a step away from him. I didn't like standing too close to people I liked, I was even less inclined to stand near people I wasn't so sure how I felt about.

"So you weren't planning on sitting somewhere else? Were you needing to go back and buy something?" Sehun asked me, eyebrow arched. His friend from class was standing next to him now, watching us, and Kyungsoo was also watching the exchange. I felt like it was important to give the right answer, but I didn't know what it was.

"Well, no," I said, answering the second question.

"Then you should just head straight for our table." He then started ushering me along to a table that already had two other people sitting at it before I could say anything.

He had me sit down at the table, taking a seat next to me while the one on my other side remained empty. His friend and Kyungsoo also took seats at the table, and the two boys who had been sitting here already broke their conversation and looked over at me.

"So you're her?" the one whose ears were pointed a little away from his head asked in a surprisingly deep voice.

"Well, I am a girl," I said, not being able to hold back. I was beginning to think sarcasm was my brain's defense mechanism when I was confronted with something that was confusing and awkward for me.

At that time, the girl from yesterday, the one who had been trying to give that guy their friend's confession note, popped up and threw some papers on the table in front of Sehun's friend, the one that was in the same class as us.

"Hey," she began, her hands on her hips, a smile on her face. "Could you get these to your brother for me, Tao?"

"Yeah," he answered, grabbing the papers to put in his bag.

"Why don't you give them to Suho yourself instead of going through Tao and Lay first?" the guy with the deep voice asked. "He's been wanting to talk to you."

"Well, I'm still not ready to talk to him," she answered, crossing her arms and looking away.

"I don't mind," the guy apparently named Tao cut in. "Gives me a good excuse to not have to go to class since it's for the student council."

"But that takes the excitement out of cutting class if you follow rules to do it," the guy who hadn't spoken yet commented as the girl smiled at Tao and walked away.

"Because you skip class and break rules so often," the guy with the deep voice said, taking a bite of his food.

"You're not with me 24/7. You don't know what I do," the other guy countered.

Just then I noticed someone taking the seat next to me, and I was glad when I saw that it was Kai. He seemed to be the focal point behind what was happening today, so I hoped that his arrival would also bring some answers, some clarification.

All of that flew out of my head for a second as our eyes met. When he sat down he gave me a big, nice smile and I was caught off guard by how beautiful it was. I was a er for a good smile, and I had to admit that his was probably the best one I had ever seen.

"Hey," he said, still giving me that big, toothy grin.

"Hey," I answered back, feeling heat begin to rise to my cheeks.

Stupid weakness to good smiles.

"How cute!" the guy with the deep voice cooed in a teasing voice.

"To get to watch young love blossom is such a privilege," the other guys said, placing his hands over his heart and making a face.

"Shut up, guys," Kai said, swatting at them from across the table, the smile still on his face.

Wait, young love?

What in the world could he possibly mean by that? I glanced over at Sehun, thinking of how earlier the way he was talking made it sound like he thought I was Kai's girlfriend. He was giving me that same speculative look he had earlier, that same hint of disbelief as well, that I realized then was actually more along the vein of mistrust.

I thought about this situation objectively. One day, a guy's friends all start introducing themselves to her, and have her sit at lunch with them when she never had before. When that guy sits down at the table, some of his friends start teasing him about young love. Sounds like the guy and girl had just started dating, right? But what if there was never a confession, neither had asked the other out. What did that make this scene then?

It was at that time that I thought about last night, played the scene over again. Kai had told me he liked me, and I had said the same thing back. But that was just a friendly exchange, wasn't it? But that was never specified. Thinking about it, he never said how he liked me, I had just assumed. And then he asked me something as I was leaving, but I hadn't heard what it was. It couldn't be that he had confessed that he liked me romantically, and then tried to ask me out, which I unwittingly agreed to, could it?

I glanced back over at Kai as he turned to look at me again, that smile still on his face and I realized; yes, yes it could. It could be that I accidentally agreed to date him.