Chapter 22

Between You and Me

I was completely taken aback that following Monday when I was sitting at my desk in my first class, reading as usual, and I noticed someone leaning against my desk. I glanced up and was completely suprised to find it was Sehun, arms crossed and moody expression as he looked in a direction that was very pointedly not at me. 

"Sorry," he began, his voice begrudging, "about the other day."

I stared at him for a moment, suprised out of my mind he had been the one to appologize. In all that time I thought about what had happened, and even when I had discussed it all with Jin Ri, it never occured to me that he would appologize on his own. It made me extremely happy, but that was mostly because that meant I didn't have to confront him anymore. Or, at least keep telling myself that I would even though I was already very much aware of what a lie that was.

"Okay," I said, nodding. Then, deciding to take a chance, I asked "So why did you react like that?"

He glanced down at me for a moment, still looking disgruntled, before rolling his eyes and saying "You don't need to know" and walking away.

I watched him go, not sure what to make of the whole exchange. He appologized, but he didn't look happy about it. It was almost like getting the appology of a child who had done something wrong, been scolded for it, and then forced to appologize, all the while not understanding why they were in trouble and willfully believing they are in the right.

It made the appology feel hollow, but that's not something I'd need to mention to Jin Ri when I tell her about this so she can stop being offended for me. I appreciated it, but at the same time, since it's something I just wanted to let blow over and forget about, it was rather annoying.

Plus, the other night at dinner she barely bothered to mask her irritation which lead to our parents, of course, wondering what was bothering her, and her having to come up with something else to say as I still have yet to inform them that I have a boyfriend. I should probably get on that soon.

Lunch was not as awkward as I had thought it would be, and the awkwardness came from a different source than I was expecting. A good source, actually. Sehun ignored me through the period, determindly not looking at me again, but Tao actually greeted me today, and was acting perfectly friendly about it. I was caught off guard figuring Tao would keep treating me the same, or at least with the same mild contempt as Sehun, but it was nice. And while I thought Sehun's behavior wasn't all that odd or out of the ordinary, Kai noticed something was off.

"Has something happened between you and Sehun?" he asked as he walked me to my class after lunch.

"Sort of," I answered, perturbed that he noticed. This was another one of the reasons I wanted to forget about what happened on Saturday; I didn't want to have to discuss with Kai that one of his friends thought he caught me cheating on him. Kai had already proven he could be a bit jealous over little things, it'd probably really upset him to hear about something like this.

"What happened? I've never even seen you guys acknowledge each other," he asked.

"We bumped into eachother the other day," I began, not sure if I should actually share everything. "It didn't go well."

"What does that mean?"

"It means there was a misunderstanding, but it's been resolved now. Nothing to worry about."

"Soo Young," Kai said as he stopped walking. I turned to look at him, realizing I was going to have to explain everything and that my attempts at evasiveness had probably just made everything seem much worse than it was. "What happened?" he repeated.

"When he saw me I just happened to be alone with my sister's friend at the time, and her friend just happened to be a guy," I began. His face didn't change while I was explaining, but I worried that by trying to avoid talking about this, if I hadn't accidentally made myself look guilty of something. If he was thinking that way, he didn't show it, though. "Sehun missunderstood the situation and overreacted a bit. But it's all straightened out now."

His face was unreadable to me. I had no idea what he was thinking, wether or not he was mad or he understood there was nothing to be mad about.

"How did you two end up alone?" he eventually asked.

"Well, we weren't really alone. We were in a restaurant, but my sister and friend, Ga In, went to the bathroom, and Ga In's boyfriend had just gotten a call and stepped away from the table for a moment," I explained. Even though I had done nothing wrong, having to explain myself like this almost made it feel like I had, and I hated that feeling.

Kai seemed to think about it all for a moment before nodding his head, his face softening. I felt so relieved that it seemed he believed me and wasn't mad.

"So why didn't you want to tell me about it, even though it wasn't really anything?" he asked.

"That's it, it wasn't anything, and Sehun already appologized anyway-"

"Sehun appologized?" Kai asked incredulously.

"Yes?" I squeaked out.

"He must have seriously overreacted to have appologized for it," Kai commented, still suprised, but also thoughtful.

"Well, I mean, it wasn't that bad," I tried to amend.

"Oh I get it now," he said, nodding his head again. "He told Tao about it. That's probably why he appologized, and I'm sure that's why Tao bothered to be so friendly today. Tao must have scolded him." Kai smiled to himself, seeming to be completely relaxed now. "Sehun's last girlfriend cheated on him, and it was pretty bad. It happend a while ago, and he's mostly over her, but he's not really gotten over being betrayed like that. He's really suspicious of everyone the guys have dated."

"Oh," I said, finally understanding Sehun's behavior.

He didn't trust me because of his ex, and now he's just being over protective of Kai. In a way, it made sense, and if he knew anything about how I wasn't all that interested in Kai when we first started dating, then he'd have even more reason not to trust me. The thing is, though, the idea of me cheating on anyone, no matter how much or little I liked them, was laughable. Literally. Ga In actually laughed on the phone yesterday when she called, demanding to know what had happened. The only problem now, I guess, is proving this to Sehun. Technically, none of this is really any of his business, but he is Kai's friend and I don't want there to be any bad blood there.

"You're not mad at him?" Kai asked as we began to walk towards my class again.

"No," I answered. "I get he was trying to look out for you, and it got resolved quickly, so it's no big deal."

"Hmm," was his response before letting it drop.

Our conversation for the rest of the walk to the classroom was much lighter, and by the time school ended I had pretty much forgotten about the whole thing. I was honestly devoting more of my attention to wondering about Jin Ri and Xiumin. After Saturday Ga In said she was convinced Xiumin liked Jin Ri, and I got that feeling too, but Jin Ri was still too nervous to do anything with that. I could tell she found it hard to believe since she had spent so long liking him and believing that he had never really noticed her. I was so wrapped up in these thoughts that it didn't even occur to me that Kai would expect to walk me home again today. After the end of last period he simply held his hand out to me, looking at me expectantly.

"What?" I asked, confused.

"I'll carry your bag again."

I stared at him for a moment, wondering what in the world he was talking about, when it clicked.

"Oh, you don't have to carry it," I said quickly, walking out to the hallway.

"I want to," he said. "What, did you bring even more books today?" he added teasingly

"No, it's just weird walking home without it. It's not really cumbersome or anything."

"Fine," he said, seemingly giving up.

I glanced at him out of the corner of my eye, not trusting him. He gave up a little more quickly than I would have expected him to, and I was wary of why. He didn't do or say anything until we had walked out of the building, at which time he said;

"So, since you're not letting me carry your bag, how about letting me hold your hand the whole way?"

I was so mad. My heart had started thumping harder in my chest when he asked me, and I hated that. Why did he have to say things that made me so nervous?

"Fine," I found myself saying, letting him take my hand since I didn't have a good reason to say no. Plus, I was suprised to find that I actually wanted to hold hands with him.

I was extremely embarrassed by this realization, but then had to calm myself down and remind myself that we were in fact dating, and that I was actually supposed to be feeling this way. That I shouldn't be upset about it, but happy because it probably meant that I was starting to like him more romantically, which is exactly what I was hoping for.

I glanced over at him again as we continued walking, now holding hands. I had half expected him to make a comment on my letting him hold my hand, but he stayed silent, smiling as we walked.

"We should go on another date soon," he said after we had walked for a few minutes in silence. "Like this weekend."

"Okay."

"Do you have plans this Saturday?"

"No."

"Good, then we can spend the whole day together."

"What are we going to do all day?"

"I found out about this book store that's supposed to be huge and really cool. You've probably heard of it-"

"You want to take me on a day-long date to a book store," I said, realizing he had no idea what he was getting himself into.

"Yeah," he answered back innocently.

"Trust me, you don't want to do that. I'll get way into looking at the books and I'll completely ignore you the entire time. It won't be much of a date," I warned him. "Why don't you just tell me where it is and on Saturday we do something more date-like."

"No," he said, affronted. "I want to take you."

"Alright," I gave in. I warned him, so he can't get too upset with me over it.

It was then that I was struck with a realization: I didn't really know much about the things he liked doing or the places he liked to go. We spent most of our conversations talking about me or books, and I realized it was because he always asked about those things, but never offered up information about himself, and I had hardly ever thought to ask. I suddenly felt terrible.

"Is there anywhere else you'd like to go for a date?" I asked, wanting to find out more about him but not sure how to do it without interrigating him and making it obvious how little I actually knew about him. Hopefully, he was as unaware of it as I had been a few minutes before.

"What do you mean?" he asked.

"Well, the book store is obviously a place I like to go to, but is there anything you want to do?"

"There is something..."

"Then we should do that, too." I said. "Either this Saturday or next time."

"You don't even know what it is, yet," he said, smiling at me.

I stared back at him for a moment, a little embarrassed that I had jumped ahead so quickly, but I did want to do something he wanted, not just something for me.

"I'm sure whatever it is it'll be fine," I urged.

He looked away from me towards the ground, his smile growing, and he squeezed my hand.

"Okay," he said.