Chapter 21

Between You and Me

"It's weird that you guys showed up together," Ga In commented once Xiumin and Jongdae sat down by each other, between Ga In and Jin Ri.

"We're actually friends," Jongdae explained, moving his chair a bit so it was slightly closer to Ga In. "We ran into eachother on our way here."

"Sorry we're late, by the way," Xiumin said.

"I was suprised; you're never late," Jin Ri said to him.

"I wouldn't have been if it wasn't for him," Xiumin defended himself, pointing towards Jongdae.

"Hey, I had to take extra care to look good today," Jongdae responded indignantly, "I'm meeting my girlfriend's friends."

"Speaking of which," said Ga In. "Introduction time. This is my friend Soo Young and her older sister, who is also my friend, Jin Ri," she continued, gesturing to us as she said our names. "And my name is Ga In," she gestured to herself at this while looking at Xiumin. "There. Now everyone knows everyone's names. And you look great, by the way."

"Thank you," Jongdae said, smiling proudly at Ga In.

I glanced over at Jin Ri and Xiumin and was suprised to see Jin Ri completely relaxed, smiling at Ga In and Jongdae, while Xiumin was the one who shot a glance at Jin Ri. I had expected her to react to the talk about boyfriends and girlfriends, but just because he was acting the way I had expected Jin Ri to act didn't necessarily mean the same thing, did it?

"Anyways, I was suprised you wanted to meet in a place like this," Jongdae continued on, looking around the restaurant.

"It was Jin Ri who wanted to meet here," Ga In corrected, looking pointedly at Jin Ri.

"I like it here!" Jin Ri defended herself, slightly exasperated from the place being insulted so much in such a short amount of time.

"It's not so bad," Xiumin added.

We all looked at him questioningly for a second, even Jin Ri, but he gave us an innocent face before looking away to observe the place more.

Around that time the waitress came up to our table to get our order. Not too long after we had gotten that all taken care of, Jin Ri and Ga In headed off to the bathroom together. I was fairly certain they were discussing something related to the guys, but I didn't join. If all three of us went it would look weird, and I probably wouldn't' have much to add to anything anyway. I can be informed later.

After they left I turned to the guys and noticed both of them looking at me like they wanted to ask me something. I suddenly wondered if it wouldn't have been a better idea to go with them after all.

"So," Xiumin managed to get out before Jongdae, who had opened his mouth, could say anything. "Jin Ri seems to have changed a bit since high school."

"Yeah," I answered, wondering how well he knew her, or at least thought he knew her, from highschool. "She's calmed down a lot."

Just then, Jogndae got a call on his phone and excused himself from the table.

"Yeah," Xiumin echoed me as Jogndae wandered off to take the call, scratching the back of his head. "She was definitely... energetic in high school. I never got to see much of that though," he glanced at me, as if he hoped I'd elaborate on that. I was fairly sure I knew where he was going with this, but feeling like it wasn't my place to say anything, I stayed silent. "She always acted different around me," he continued on, "and I was wondering if you knew why?"

Before I could answer that, luckily and unluckily, someone else spoke up.

"Soo Young?"

I turned to see who it was, knowing it wasn't Jin Ri or Ga In since the voice was male, but wondering who in the world I would be recognized by in here. My suprise only grew as I recognized Sehun sitting at a table near me, arms crossed and leaning back in his chair that was pushed slightly away from his table.

"Hey," I answered back, too suprised to think of anything else to say.

His gaze flickered from me to Xiumin and then back to me before asking:

"What are you doing here?"

I was slightly taken aback by his accusatory tone. What had I done wrong?

"Having lunch with friends," I answered. "What about you?"

I glanced at the other people at his table and saw it was a group of younger girls, all ignoring us.

"Watching my little sister and her friends," he indicated Xumin with his chin. "I thought you didn't have any friends."

Stung by his words, I couldn't make an immediate response. His eyes were clearly hostile, and I could not for the life of me figure out why. I knew he didn't really like me from the way he acted around me. He barely acknowledged my presence, and when he did it was to look at me like I'm a siren and he's just waiting for me to start singing. I may not have been very nice to him when we first met, but he hadn't exactly been Captain Friendly either. I had thought about asking him about it before, but that felt too much like a confrontation, and I do not do well with those, so I chickened out immediately.

"I have a life outside of school, you know," I retorted before I could stop myself. The words had come out with a nasty edge due to my suprise, and the last thing I wanted was to give this guy any more reason not to like me.

"Clearly," he spat, glancing back at Xiumin.

"And who are you?" Xiumin asked, clearly annoyed at Sehun.

"Her boyfriend's friend," he said to Xiumin, seeming to expect some kind of reaction. "Who are you?"

"Her sister's friend," he answered, annoyance still present in his voice and face, then something seemed to click in his head, "who should be coming back any minute now."

"Really?" he asked dubiously.

I looked between the two of them, lost as to what was going on. Xiumin seemed to have figured it out, and he seemed to be relaxing a bit, but not by much. I just didn't understand. What had made Sehun so upset? I glanced past Xiumin to see if Jongdae was coming back soon and noticed the people sitting at all the tables behind him. Most all of them were couples at each table. I focused back in on Xiumin and realized it was just him and me at this table, granted a table for five people and we weren't seated next to each other, but in a way I understood now why Sehun was reacting that way. Not fully, but in a way.

"There's five of us here," I explained, tuning to Sehun, now that I was beginning to get what the problem was. "Me, Xiumin-" I gestured towards him "-my sister and my friend who are in the bathroom, and my friend's boyfriend who got a call."

Sehun stared back at me, that same look on his face, like he didn't know wether to believe me or not. If we were at a table for two, I would understand his suspicion better, but this wasn't exactly the most romantic set up with such a big table and Xiumin being so far from me. I could see Sehun beginning to take those factors in as well, and was starting to believe me.

"Oh," was all he said, looking slightly abashed.

"That's it?" Xiumin asked, sounding a little offended to my suprise. "You all but accuse her of cheating and that's all you have to say?"

"It's okay," I said to Xiumin quickly while Sehun turned to him, irritated. "It's not a big deal."

"What's not a big deal?" Ga In asked as her and Jin Ri took their seats again.

"Nothing," I said, before Xiumin or Sehun could say anything. "Just a missunderstanding."

I glanced over to Sehun, hoping he'd appreciate or at least agree with what I had done, but it just seemed to annoy him more.

"Hurry up and finish eating," he said to the girls at his table. "I'm ready to go."

There were noises of discontent and pleas to stay longer, but he wouldn't budge. He didn't even look back over at this table.

"Are you sure you're okay with leaving it at that?" Xiumin asked, disbelieving.

"Leave what like what?" Jin Ri asked, concerened

"It's nothing. Just a missunderstanding," I repeated, honestly more worried that Sehun had been upset than by him implying that I was cheating on Kai. Sehun was Kai's friend, and I had to sit with him everyday for lunch. I didn't want to create any tension.

Luckily, Xiumin dropped it and nobody pushed it. I could tell Ga In and Jin Ri were curious, but could tell I didn't want to talk about it. Not too long after that Jongdae returned to the table, and the conversation turned easy and light, and the whole thing was forgotten. I didn't even notice when Sehun left.

It didn't last, though. After lunch, we seperated, Ga In and Jongdae heading off somewhere, Jin Ri and Xiumin as well, and then me going home. I probably shouldn't have been as suprised as I was that Xiumin told Jin Ri about what had happened while she and Ga In were in the bathroom.

"You just let him talk to you like that? You didn't even get mad at him?" she asked, sitting cross-legged on my bed after she had brought it up.

"Yeah. I didn't think it was a big deal," I answered, setting my book down on my desk and turning to face her in my swivle chair.

"You didn't think it was a big deal?" she asked me incredulously.

"No," I answered honestly. "He doesn't know me at all, and I'm sure he was just looking out for his friend. He might have overreacted-"

"He definitely overracted," she said sternly, looking thoroughly offended by what he had done. "From what Xiumin told me, he acted like a complete jerk about it. He handled it all wrong, and he should have appologized for it."

"I don't think we really need to go that far," I said, beginning to feel uncomfortable. I got where Sehun was coming from, and he already knew that he had it wrong, so I just wanted to forget this every happened. I was really hoping the only indication that today had every happened would be that Sehun would be less cold towards me, and that this would show the reason he had acted the way he had before was because he didn't trust me. I doubted it would have such a nice result, but it would still be nice.

"You shouldn't let this go," she said, basically lecturing me now. "You need to learn to stand up for yourself."

"But I already explained to him while we were there that it was a group meet up and I wasn't cheating," I defended meakly.

"Stand up to everyone but me," she said, and I gave her a look. "But seriously, Xiumin said he completely overreacted to the situation and was rude and that he never appologized for it. I get he wanted to look out for his friend," she added, noticing that I was about to make comment "but he went about it completely wrong."

I heaved a sigh, hating that I was beginning to agree with her. It didn't matter in the long run, though, I wouldn't be able to confront him about it, so I'd rather just let it go. If I didn't let it go and I didn't confront him, which I won't, it'll just sit inside of me, festering, and I'll blow it up in my mind into something a lot bigger than it actually is, and I definitely didn't want that.

"Alright," I finally said. "He was wrong."

"Good," she said, nodding her head in satisfaction. "And you're going to talk to him about it?"

I hesitated, and she sensed weakness.

"Soo Young?" she asked, giving me a firm look.

"Fine," I said, looking away. I'd think about confronting him, at least. I seriously doubted I'd ever be able to find it in me to actually say anything.