Chapter 33

Between You and Me

"Oh, hey," the guy with the face of a fairy princess said. "You're one of the girls from the restaurant, right?"

Luhan, his name was Luhan, and the guy standing next to him was Kris.

I guess it could be worse. It could be my mom again. Not just catching us almost kissing, but actually kissing, and with me pressed against a tree. Yeah, that would have been much worse. Bright side, Soo Young, bright side.

"Yeah, you are. You were the quiet one," Luhan said, looking proud of himself for a second before putting on a pensive face. "I just don't remember your name. Sorry, I'm really bad at Korean names."

"You were Soo Young, right?" Kris asked before glancing from me over at Jong In suspiciously.

"Yeah," I managed to get out while still trying to tone down my blush.

"You do remember us, right?" Luhan asked, seeming to finally notice my discomfort. "We met in that gaudy restaurant and you guys saved us from embarrassing ourselves in front of our colleagues?"

"No, I remember," I got out, pulling off a smile, though I'm not sure how much they believed it because I knew it was sightly strained. "I'm glad we were able to help, or rather my sister was, I didn't really say anything, and she was the one with all the helpful information," I babbled before I realized what I was doing. I glanced over at Jong In and saw him looking confused, so I figured it'd be good to introduce everyone since no one was making any move away from the conversation. "This is Kai, by the way. My boyfriend."

"We caught that," Luhan said, smiling like he was trying hard not to laugh.

My cheeks flamed again.

"Ow!" Luhan exclaimed after Kris smacked the back of his head.

"Learn some tact," Kris mumbled. Looking at me, he said, "We just wandered off the trail and got lost. We'll be going now."

"Do you know your way back?" Jong In asked, seeming to have fully recovered himself by now.

"Sort of," Kris said, looking around at the area.

"He keeps saying he knows the way back but I think he's just making us more lost," Luhan said, folding his arms.

"No, no, I've got this," Kris said, looking at us, his earnestness to prove he knew what he was doing showing through. "The way back to the trail was... that way."

He pointed in the direction opposite of the trail while Luhan looked at us for a reaction, raising his eyebrow at us as if to say, "He's wrong, right?"

"Why don't you just follow us? We'll take you back to the trail," Jong In said, smiling now.

"No, no, we don't want to interupt," Kris said.

"Although we really already have," Luhan said, smirking.

My face brightened again as Kris shot Luhan a warning glance.

"I'm just saying," Luhan shrugged, pouting.

"It's really not a problem. I need to be heading home, anyways," Jong In said before he began leading us all back to the main trail. I tried to remain close to Jong In and keep my head down, too embarrassed to really be concerned with being sociable. I was glad when I noticed the two guys flanked Jong In on his other side since it made me feel less pressure to talk to them.

"Hey, I think I actualy recognize your school uniforms," Luhan said while we walked.

"You're right," Kris commented, glancing at mine and Jong In's uniforms from around Luhan. "Xiumin went to that school, right?"

"Yeah, he did!" Luhan exclaimed, looking excited.

"You guys know Xiumin?" Jong In asked, looking at them in suprise.

"Of couse," Luhan answered. "We gave him that nickname." 

"How do you know Xiumin?" Kris asked.

"I'm friends with his cousin, Kyungsoo, and Soo Young's older sister is dating him," Jong In replied.

"That's who you guys were meeting at that cafe?" Kris directed the question to me instead of Jong In, this time.

"Yeah," I said, not really wanting to join the conversation yet but glad we were talking about something else besides what had just happened. "You guys actually had just missed him. He walked in not too long after you left."

"Seriously?" Luhan said, looking miffed. "We should have just stuck it out there. We've been so busy since we came back to Korea that we haven't had much time to catch up with him. It would have been worth putting up with that cafe."

"What cafe are you guys talking about?" Jong In asked. "What was so terrible about it?"

"It's just this really gaudy cafe with pretty bad food that me, Jin Ri, and Ga In went to to meet their boyfriends. Be thankful you didn't have to go," I said.

"Wait, is your older sister's name Jin Ri?" Luhan stopped walking for a moment, seemingly from shock.

"Yeah?" I answered, wondering why he cared.

"Your family name wouldn't happen to be Im, would it?" he prodded more.

"Yes, it is." I couldn't help the confused look I had on my face as I answered his quesiton.

"Im Jin Ri," Luhan said while nudging Kris, who continued to have a blank look on his face for a few moments.

"Oooh," Kris said, seeming to have finally recalled.

"I guess your sister's popular," Jong In commented to me as Kris and Luhan kept nodding at each other saying "yeah" and "you remember" and "you're right".

"So let me clarify," Luhan said when he and Kris seemed to have gotten on the same page, "Xiuming, a.k.a. Kim Min Seok, is dating Im Jin Ri. Correct?"

"Correct," I said.

"Then why hasn't he told us?" Luhan asked, looking thoroughly put out. "After all those times he made us listen to him talking about her, you'd think he'd feel this was important enough to share with us."

"We haven't really talked to him much the past couple of months," Kris explained to Luhan. "We've all been busy."

"Xiumin talked about my sister a lot?" I asked, suprised. Did he really talk about the girl he apprently thought hated him a lot to his friends? Why would he do that?

"Yeah," Luhan answered. "He had a huge crush on her in high school."

Well I guess that's a good reason for him to do it.

"Oh, I didn't know that," I commented, wondering if Jin Ri knew. 

"I'm really suprised anything came of it," Kris said. "He always said she didn't seem to care much for him."

"Misunderstanding." I waved off his comment.

"How do you guys know Xiumin, anyways?" Jong In asked.

At this point we had finally mad it back to the trail, but we all seemed to find the conversation too interesting to seperate, so we kept on walking it together.

"We were foreign exchange students at another high school around here," Kris answered. "We made friends with some of the Chinese kids from other schools too, and the ones we made at your school were also friends with Xiumin, and that's how we got introduced. One of the guys we knew might still be there. Do you know Zhang Yixing? Or Lay?"

"Yeah, we know him," Jong In asnswered back. "We're friends with his younger brother, Tao."

"Really?" Kris asked. "Small world."

"So what are you guys doing in Korea?" Jong In asked.

"We're working," Kris answered. "The company we work for has a Korean branch, and since we're both pretty fluent in Korean we got sent out here."

"Has Xiumin's number changed?" Luhan interjected while he was on his phone, apparently scrolling through his contacts list.

"Really, Luhan?" Kris let out, exhasperation coloring his tone.

"You didn't spend as much time with him as me. You didn't have to hear about it as much as I did," Luhan defended himself.

"I think he changed it after he came back from the states because he was having issues finding a good phone plan or something," Jong In said to Luhan.

"Why was he in the states?" Kris asked.

"School," Jong In said.

"Wait, he went to an out-of-country college and didn't come to China?" Luhan asked, looking affronted.

"Oh my gosh," Kris groaned, his head rolling back so he looked up at the sky as if asking "Why me, God?" 

"What?" Luhan asked.

"I forgot how much you acted like a teenage girlfriend with her first boyfriend with him," Kris responded, rolling his eyes.

Slightly offronted by the over generalization, I stared at the ground while we walked until my irritation abated.

"I do not!" Luhan exclaimed. "That's rediculous!"

"You're right," Kris conceded. "You're not as gooey about it, but definitely territorial."

"Stop that! As soon as I get a hold of him, I'm telling him you're still being mean to me!"

"And obssesive," Kris quipped.

Luhan glowered at him as Jong In and I tried hard not to laugh.

It was at this time that we reached the end of the trail and the exit of the park. We had to say our goodbyes here unfortunately as we were heading in opposite direction, but not before Luhan double checked his contact information with Jong In on Xiumin.

"They're interesting," Jong In said while we walked back to my family's appartment, after it was just the two of us again.

"That's what I thought when I first met them," I agreed.

"Funny that we met up with them there of all places, though," he continued.

"Yeah," I agreed again. "That kind of timing usually only happens in stories."

We coninued on in silence for a moment.

"By the way," Jong In spoke up. "We're all planning on going to Karaoke this weekend, everyone that we eat with at lunch and some others. Do you want to come?"

I hesitated before answering. I didn't think karaoke rooms were very big, while I did know the group Jong In was talking about was a large one. Being with a large group of people in a small, enclosed room did not sound like a very appealing pass time to me. But I did know most of the people that would be there, and I liked them, and I knew Jong In wanted me to go since he asked me, so I couldn't exactly say "no".

"Sure. When are we going?"

"This Saturday," he explained, smiling down to me. "You can invite Ga In too, if you want."

"Isn't this going to be too many people?" I asked.

Counting everyone we eat lunch with, us, Ga In, and then some more people, though I'm not sure how many, that was beginning to seem like a lot of people.

"We can get another room if we have to," he said, waving it off.

"All right, I'll ask her," I conceeded.

"Good," he said, sliding his hand in mine, grabbing onto it.

I was glad that I wasn't as nervous about holding his hand anymore, although thinking that made me think about earlier, the main reason I wasn't so nervous anymore, and I couldn't help but blush again. I turned away from him to hide it, not really wanting to talk about it, but also not wanting him to think it was triggered from him simply holding my hand.

"Now that I think about it," I began as a distraction, "Ga In's not really much of a singer."

"That's not a big deal," Jong In said. "Most of the guys coming are really into singing, and there's usually a struggle for the mic, so neither of you have to sing if you don't want to."

"Who said anything about me?" I asked.

"I just said it just in case." He shrugged. "But I didn't think it'd be something you'd really want to do."

For some reason, something about what he said sparked something competative me.

"Maybe I do want to sing," I said, a little defiantly.

"Oh really?" He asked, arching an eyebrow at me.

"Maybe I'm a fantastic singer," I continued, the defiance still there.

"Well then I'd love to hear you sing," he said, squeezing my hand before he smirked at me. "I look forward to hearing your voice."

That was not where I meant for that to go.