Chapter 7

Between You and Me

When I got home that night, my parents asked me about who I was with after school, and I just answered that it was someone from class. I didn't want to say "a friend" because we weren't actually friends, not yet, and I didn't want to say I had met with a boy because that could be misconstrued. The meeting was purely platonic, and I didn't want my parents to think that I had jumped straight over making friends to getting a boyfriend. That would probably lead to a whole new lecture, one that wasn't necessary.

Luckily, Jin Ri had had another "Xiumin sighting" as she was now calling them, and dominated the dinner conversation with that. He had apparently seen her first this time and came up to talk to her instead of running away, like she had. They had made plans to go get coffee and catch up.

I wasn't sure what to think about all this. Jin Ri had liked him so much for so long, he was all she saw. It wasn't until after they graduated she was able to actually start dating other guys, have a love life. It wasn't Xiumin's fault, I don't blame him, but if this was going to lead to them going right back to where they were, then I wished he had stayed abroad. I didn't like the idea of my sister being caught in a one-sided love again.

Then again, she had made that comment that people change a lot after they get into college, and she was proof enough of that. She had gone from being carefree, lazy, and rambunctious to responsible, hard working, and still rambunctious, but the others were big changes for her. Maybe she wouldn't like this new Xiumin as much. Maybe she could finally get fully over him. Maybe this could be a good thing.

Suddenly, there was a hand waving in my face and I was startled out of my thoughts. I glanced to the person sitting in front of me, who was the owner of the hand, and saw a boy I vaguely recognized since he was so, well, long it was hard not to notice him, sitting backwards in the chair for the desk in front of me. There were still a couple of minutes before first period began, and there weren't that many other students here yet. The boy sitting in front of me didn't usually sit there, although I was pretty sure he was in the class. I didn't know his name, of course, or why he was looking at me so impatiently.

"I tried calling your name three times and you didn't answer," he said, clearly annoyed.

"Sorry," I said, looking down. I thought about commenting that people didn't usually talk to me before class started, but that sounded too much like I was fishing for pity, so I chose not to elaborate.

I glanced back up and saw he was looking at my face thoughtfully, the annoyed look still there as well.

"Are you new?"

"What?" I asked, taken aback by the question. I knew I wasn't Miss Popular, but I didn't think I was so easy to miss that people would think I was new. That kind of question meant he had noticed and could recognize everyone else in the class but me. It kind of stung a little. "No, I've been in this class all year."

"Why haven't I ever seen you around before?" he asked, giving me a disbelieving look.

"You're unobservant?" I guessed, instantly thinking of the phrase 'the pot calling the kettle black'. The guy gave me an unconvinced look. "Do you need something?"

"Not very friendly, are you?" he asked, seemingly un-phased.

"Sorry, but I don't really want commentary on my social skills from the guy who asked if I was new out of the blue, who won't stop staring at me, and who hasn't even told me his name. Not much help ever came from peanut gallery," I said, regretting the words as they came out.

"My name’s Oh Sehun, and I just wanted to talk. Why are you so hostile?" he asked, clearly insulted.

"Sorry," I said again, and meaning it. I decided to go ahead and be truthful. It's helped me out with Kai, maybe it'd help me with this guy too. I had already started embarrassing myself anyways by my unintentionally rude comments, might as well take the risk. "I'm just not used to this."

"Used to what? Talking to your classmates?" he cut in, his words making me blush a little, embarrassment rising. "Seriously? That makes it even harder to believe what he told me happened yesterday." He leaned back in the chair until he was resting against the desk, arms crossed as he looked thoughtfully off somewhere else.

"Who are you talking about?" I asked, confused. "What happened?"

"Kai," he answered back, looking at me thoughtfully again. "About your conversation yesterday."

"He told you about that?" I asked, surprised. It didn't seem like a lot happened yesterday. While it was a novelty for me, I had assumed it wasn't a big deal for him. He had been late meeting me because he was meeting with other friends, because that's what he usually did after school. He could have been with this guy, Sehun.

"Why wouldn't he?" Sehun asked, eyeing me now. 

I thought about the reasons why I hadn't told my family, and they definitely didn't apply to Kai, but that still didn't account for why he would. I realized then I shouldn't assume people function like I do. Maybe he was more like Jin Ri, who feels the need to tell the people she's close to every detail about anything she feels is important enough to get a story, even if she's the only one who thinks these things deserve stories to begin with.

"I guess there's no reason," I conceded. I came to another realization as I responded that I was unhappy that Kai had told Sehun about yesterday. Not overtly upset, but it was still something I didn't like. Something about yesterday felt personal. Like something that should have stayed between the two of us. I couldn't put my finger on why, it really didn't make much sense to me, but I couldn't help but hope that Kai hadn't told Sehun too much about it. That some of it actually had stayed between him and me.

Sehun didn't respond at first, instead he went back to studying me, as I figured out he was doing. He heaved a sigh and tilted his face little as he furrowed his brow, curling his lips in to give him a weird face. It was uncomfortable, being scrutinized like that, and I was about to say something, but he started speaking first.

"No matter how I look at you, I just don't see you as his type," he said, straightening his head up.

"Type?" I asked at a loss for what he could mean by that.

"I just always thought he would get a girlfriend who was more mild mannered, sweater," he continued, not clearing up anything. 

"Girlfriend?" I asked, even more lost.

"All right class," the teacher said, as he walked through the door, "Let's hurry up and get started. We have a lot to go over today,"

At that our conversation was cut short and Sehun had to go to his assigned seat across the room, leaving me utterly confused. 

What could he have possibly meant by those last comments? Who was he referring to? Who's girlfriend? If I didn't know any better, it would have sounded like he was talking about me and Kai, considering what we had been talking about before he started saying those random things about 'types' and girlfriends'. But Kai and me weren't dating. We weren't even friends. So what in the world could he have been talking about?

When class ended, I had intended to ask him what he meant, but I lost my nerve. It was one thing for someone to come up to me to talk, but it was a lot harder to go up to someone else and initiate it. Plus he had a friend with dark circles under his eyes in the class who had walked in a little late. When class ended they were immediately together, which made it even harder to build up the nerve to go talk to him. Before he walked out, though, he shot another glance in my direction, and I got hopeful for a moment that he was going to say something else to me, something that would clarify what he said earlier. Instead he just turned back to his friend, said something to him, and then his friend turned to look at me before they finally left.

I wasn't entirely sure what to make of this, or how to feel about it. I couldn't tell if Sehun was being rude or if that was just his personality; abrupt and straightforward. I didn't feel like he was trying to be mean, he mostly just seemed tactless to me, which is something I can obviously relate to. Still, the whole thing was odd, to say the least.