Chapter 8

Life Behind the Wolf's Howl
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 8

 

Suho stared blankly at the piles of papers spread out across the table. He sighed, he hated planning the Collection. It had always, and would always hurt his ego, and it was just tiring work. Except, he had promised to do it, to take a young female from Daor Town every month. He didn't believe that what he was doing was immoral, he and the rest actually quite enjoyed the Collection. What made the job difficult was the looks that they were given. Eyes full of hate, and loathing. Pain and tears, usually from the mothers. But the look of fear was the worst, those looks that the villagers gave filled with nothing but pure terror, hurt him. He knew Lay, and Kyungsoo felt the same. He couldn't say what the rest thought, he wouldn't be surprised if they enjoyed the feeling of power.

 

Suho's mind wandered to his brothers, he had sent four of them off the make sure the girl didn't get away. Though it seemed unnecessary, Suho knew he couldn't let her escape, she was worth the effort.

 

Suho's eyes wandered towards the fireplace, a strong blaze lighting up the otherwise dark room, and down towards the russet brown wolf laying on the rug in front of it. His eyes softened, the stress of the day completely melting as he watched the slow rise and fall of the wolve's breathing. A soft smile spread across his lips as he watched his brother sleep. If everything worked out as hoped, then they would gain a small triumph over the past. Suho slowly lost himself in thought, enchanted by the flickering of the fires’ flame, the crackling of the logs, and the slow, comfortable breathing of the wolf.

 

Suddenly the wolf leapt up from his sleep, startling Suho out of his reverie. He zipped past Suho, ignoring the chairs that were in his way, as he plowed through them towards the door. Suho frowned in confusion. Leaving his papers on the table he made his way after the wolf, towards the front of their den. When Suho turned the corner he picked up a familiar scent, the rest of the pack had returned, and they weren't alone.

 

Suho snapped his gaze towards the wolf. Then towards the front door, somehow he didn't think this was going to end well. He reached out to grab the wolf, when the door swung open. Baekhyun, and Chen sauntered through, wide satisfied grins on their faces. Chanyeol came in next, the girl Suho had met earlier unconscious in his arms. Not good. The wolf slipped passed him just as Suho's hand grazed the scruff of the neck.

 

Chanyeol yelped in pain as the wolf sunk his canines into his leg, the same one Elana had kicked earlier. Chanyeol sank to the floor in agony, careful not to drop Elana in the process. His knees hit the floor and the russet brown wolf growled and nipped at him, Chanyeol didn't need to be told twice. Carefully he laid Elana onto the floor, backing away, his head ducked in submission. The wolf moved protectively over the girl. Standing above her figure the wolf growled at them.

 

All of them understood, "Back away." he was gowling. "Leave us alone" he was saying. All of them moved farther away, closely watching the wolf.

 

Suho quickly assessed the situation. His brother wouldn't be appeased until the girl was okay. Suho turned towards Baekhyun and Chen, "You two, go get Lay." They both nodded then slunk off the go find their calmest pack mate. Suho noticed some of the tension in the wolf's body dissipating at their departure. Suho eyed Chanyeol, he was too close to the girl, "Kyungsoo, grab Chanyeol, and take him somewhere else but here. And try to fix up his leg." Kyungsoo gave a curt nod. Grabbing Chanyeol

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter