Chapter 7

Life Behind the Wolf's Howl
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 7

With a loud crash, Luhan sent a cup full of water to the ground. The liquid running down the cracks in the wooden floor. Paying no mind to the mess he had created, Luhan leapt out of his bed, threw on a pair of pants, and ran out of his bedroom and into the hall. Bumping into Kris as he made his way towards the front room. 

Both of the males were tense and on full alert after all waking up to the sound of a wolf's wailing call. A call that was closer to the town than should be. 

"What do you think it wants?" Luhan ran towards the window, peeking out at the village.

"I do not know, Luhan. Maybe-" Kris was cut off as three more howls responded to the first. Kris's eyes narrowed. "They have the town surrounded."

"That is weird. They have never done that before. They are not planning an attack, right?"

"I do not think so, that sounded like a recall. Like maybe they were looking for something, and found it." 

"What could they possibly have found? Nobody goes outside passed sunset." 

Kris nodded his head in agreement contemplating the new turn of events. It was his job to protect the citizens of this village, and knowing what the Beast-men were up to played a huge role in completing his job. Kris began to pace, his path leading him back and forth between the window and the dinning table. He was thoroughly confused, then his eyes landed on the front door. "Luhan," he paused waiting for his friend to look at him. "Did you lock the door when you came back with Elana?"

Luhan frowned, what kind of question was that, he always locked the door. "Of course I locked the door. Why?" He glanced at the door. Then his eyes widened in horror, the locks, every last one of them, were undone. Luhan paused glancing at Kris, then ran down the hallway stopping in front of the room he had let Elana use. He swallowed his salvia, knocking gently on the door. No response. He knocked again, a bit louder this time. Still there was no response. Luhan raised his hand to knock again when Kris walked passed him opening the door. The light from the hallway seeped into the dark room. Both were holding their breaths, praying that Elana was just a very deep sleeper, as their eyes adjusted to the light. 

"Bloody hell."

 Luhan couldn't have agreed more, because there before them was an empty room. Luhan's heart dropped to his stomach, a feeling of nausea starting to overcome his senses.  

Kris slammed his fist into the door frame, rattling the walls. "I hate to say this Luhan, but there is no doubt in my mind that the Beast-man have caught Elana. There is nothing we can do." Kris glanced painfully towards Luhan, but he was no longer there. "Luhan! Do not dare leave this building!" Kris jogged towards the front door, only to catch it closing in front of him as Luhan ran down the streets of the village. Heading directly towards where he had heard the first wolfs howl.

Without a second thought Kris grabbed his sword, and a lantern following after.

-----

Luhan ran down the dim streets of town, his breath making thick, puffy clouds in the chilly night air. He was following the path he had taken into town, heading towards where he had first met Elana on the outskirts of the village. He ran his mind hazy with confusion. He did not understand why Elana had left. She had seemed so understanding. She had seemed to have trusted Kris and himself completely. Obviously, though, he had read her wrong. He should have known she would try to run once she had gotten the chance. She had not believed him when she was told about the Beast-men. She probably had never seen one before, so of course she didn't know the dangers. She ran because she thought they were crazy, that's what Luhan believed. 

He just hoped he could save her. She should never have been involved in any of this; not as an outsider. Yet, deep in the back of Luhan's mind he knew there was nothing he could do. He wasn't even sure why he was trying to save her, when not even hours before, he demanded she stay just in case the Beast-men wanted her. Obviously they had. 

However, Luhan prayed in the back of his mind that it wasn't Elana they were after, that the howls were about something else, and that Elana was safely walking down the road towards her own town. That small wish was what sent him after her. He had to know if she was safe or if she was captured. 

-----

The second the light on her phone went out Elana took a few quick steps back, away from the stranger. The feeling he gave off was different then when she had first met Luhan. This man before her gave off an aura to that of a predator. Every instinct in her body screamed at her to turn and run. 

To Elana listening to her instincts' was not a typical action. She was the type to think through every decision she made, go over all the pros and cons and then mull over whether or not she was in the mood to go through with it. Often her pure laziness to not do anything prevented her from moving forward in a decision 

This was not one of those times. Not a single thought entered Elana's mind as she swiveled on her heel and ran.

 She ran full speed forward, running right into the mans arms. His arms wrapping around her frame, pulling her into his chest. Elana squealed, how did he move so quickly, let alone see where she was running too?

 Elana struggled in his grip trying to hit him with her arms. Which was impossible since the way he had grabbed her also trapped her arms to her sides. So, she tried kicking him. A kick to the ankle was supposed to work, that was what she had been told, yet when she kick t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter