Chapter 20

Life Behind the Wolf's Howl
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 20

 

Day 4 of Kai's Phasing

 

The room was cold, he could feel it, against his bare, raw skin. His breath transforming into ice crystals, freezing the breath in his lungs, making it difficult for him to breath. The ice that covered the floor, was made up of the sweat and blood that dripped down his body and onto the stone he lay against.

 

Kai was in oblivion, lost and confused at what he was. Not a wolf, for he had long since lost all of his dark fur. His tail was gone and his ears had reshaped, moving from their spot on top of his head. Yet, he was not human, his body deformed in a shape somewhere between man and animal. He should have felt concerned, feeling his body wrangled and bent. His back legs were broken beneath him, pained and throbbing as he could feel his femurs growing beneath his skin, stretching and pulling at the already tender flesh. But he wasn't concerned, somewhere in the back of his head this was normal.

 

More than anything he was annoyed. There was a sound, a constant plink, that would land against the frozen puddle of blood on the floor, as well as the ever consistent sound of someone crying in agony. No matter how he tried he could not find where the sounds were coming from. He could not see anything in the lightless room, his eyes almost throbbed as they tried to find any source of light to focus on, but there was none. Leaving his vision as nothing more than an illusion of stars created by his mind's eye. Without his eyes he could not pinpoint the sounds that were slowly beginning to drive him crazy.

 

Whilst he was trying to locate the sound of the plink, his eyes roaming sightless around the black abyss, Kai felt a sudden pain in his left shoulder. With a defining snap, his clavicle broke off from his axial skeleton. While he felt his shoulders bones, and muscles being pushed towards his back, the wailing scream intensified. His head moved stiffly, his eyes squinting in a desperate attempt to find the source, but he could not find the source. As the pain in his shoulder began to numb so did the sounds of pain, lowering down into nothing but a whimper.


 

Day 5 of Kai's Phasing

 

It had been three days since Elana and Xiumin had taken up temporary residence in the library, and two days since Lay had moved in. His added presence was a blessing to Elana, as he provided her with someone else to talk to. Their chats were nothing but a wandering cycle of words, pointless and solely there to waste time. Elana had tried to get information from Lay about a variety of things, asking how the castle had been made, what the point of the Collection was, and many other ques

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter