Chapter 21

Life Behind the Wolf's Howl
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 21

 

Day 6 of Kai's Phasing

 

The image of the waning moon reflected in Baekhyun's ebon eyes. It was his only source of light, but he didn't need it. His wolf senses giving him an advantage in the dark. Baekhyun was supposed to be keeping watch at camp, but he had slipped away the moment he was sure they had all fallen asleep. He had been waiting anxiously for this moment the entire trip. At one point he had been sure that Kyungsoo had noticed, but much to his relief Kyungsoo did not mention anything.

 

Baekhyun made his way past the low branches of the pines and the underbrush of ferns. His steps were light, quickly gliding over the newly fallen leaves of the tall oaks. As he made his way farther from camp the forest began thinning out. The long wispy branches of willows filling in the places where the tall pines once stood.

 

Baekhyun was entering into a valley, a place where many of the mountains small streams ran down into, forming into a bigger river that eventually lead to the ocean. At one spot where the river converged, a large piece of land had been surrounded by water on all sides. It was unreachable to those who did not know the river, for there was only one spot that was shallow enough to wade across. The little island was a great place to think if one wanted to be alone, the river made it hard to access, and the large grove of weeping willows provided a natural wall from the eyes of those that might wish to disturb. It was here that Baekhyun was heading.

 

He moved along the bank of the river, heading north against the flow of the rapids. He passed the ait continuing up the river's edge for a length of time until he reached a rocky area where the rivers flow danced around the rocks in a waltz. It wasn't the best place to cross the river, as the rocks were slippery with moss, but the only other place that was safe enough to cross by foot was another half mile or so north. Baekhyun didn't have time for that, so he took his chances and prayed he wouldn't fall in. He could swim, but with the cold weather, he would surely suffer if he got wet. Not to mention he would need to explain why he was soaked once he got back to camp, something he really did not want to do.

 

His travel across the river was quick, losing his footing only once near the opposite shore. Landing safely on the embankment, Baekhyun picked up his pace to a jog, heading back south towards the ait. It was on the north-west side of the islet that the river ran ankle deep. That was where Baekhyun made his way onto the island. He strode forward with a purpose, pushing aside the long waving spindles of the willows, many of the leaves gone as the trees prepared for the long winter months. When he reached the middle of the island a large willow, crown over the ones surrounding, stood proud. A think twisting trunk that reached up a great height towards the starry sky. It's long many branches swaying in a soft wind. Baekhyun made his way towards the trunk of the tree searching for a specific branch.

 

It was the only branch that was still green with leaves, the single bough standing out amongst the rest, barren for hibernation. A single knot was tied loosely at eye level. With gentle hands Baekhyun untied the knot. Kneeling to the ground facing in towards the trunk, he removed three wrapped bundles from the leather satchel across his back. He unwrapped one, revealing a sweet roll of bread, goat cheese wrapped in a small parcel on the side. "Food for the long winter months, a gift of thanks from the wolf of Meallán." He then took out a small vial of blood, dripping the substance onto the earth. The second bundle held a small copper vessel carved with tin leafing. It was filled with a find medical powder that promoted health. "Medicine to promote a flourishing life, a gift of thanks from the wolf of Aodh." He removed a second vial of blood dripping it onto the ground. Finally, Baekhyun unwrapped the last parcel, revealing a smooth piece of Goldstone with a shield knot carved into it. "A token of protection to grow in peace, as gift of thanks from the wolf of Lugus." Baekhyun then removed a small knife from his pocket, pricking the end of his finger, and squeezing a few drops of blood onto the soil. He gave one final prayer of thanks before heading back the way he had come towards his camp. Making it back just in time to change watch shifts.

 

Day 7 of Kai's Phasing

 

The town over the mountain was nothing like what Corliss imagined it would be. Somehow, when Suho had been explaining to her the relocation process, Corliss had been imagining a town that was small. She had thought it would be smaller than her hometown of Daor, with single story structures, a small knit community, and maybe a few small stores. A place where the few merchants would take a wagon full of produce to a market located in a larger town a few days ride away to trade for supplies that couldn't be made within the village. It was not such a town. Corliss knew her assumption was wrong the moment she followed Kyungsoo, Baekhyun, and Tao through the large wooden gates, the gate keepers saying their welcome as they passed. "Welcome to Assegonion," they said in light cheerful voices. The greeting itself was more than what she would have expected from her own town. What Corliss witnessed as they walked further into the town, left her at a loss for words.

 

Assegonion was prodigious, four or five times the size of Daor. The buildings were tall compared to the single level structures Corliss was used too, and they were much more artistic in their looks. In Daor the houses were plain, constructed out of rough-cut wood, and build in the most simple way. Most of the houses leaned to one side, very few of the houses were actually constructed properly. If a family was lucky, like hers had been, the house would have a root cellar to store food in. Yet, even the cellar in her house was small and cramped. Sometimes on the night of the Collection, Corliss would have to remove some of the reserves in order to create enough space for her sister, mother, and herself to hide in. The houses here, in Assegonion, were not natural wood brown nor rough and full of splinter, they were painted in an assortment of colors. The base, and the most common colors being grays, whites and a rich gold brown. There was also pops of light blue, yellows, and forest green as accents on the doors and t. The walls were smooth, and the buildings stood sturdy.

 

The amount of people living in Assegonion accounted for the town's size. The roads were bustling with people of all ages, it was impossible to walk a straight line, and near impossible to walk without running into at least a few people. The further into the town, the more crowded the streets became. Corliss's heart was racing inside her chest with nerves, her hand subconsciously grabbing onto the back of Baekhyun's cloak as he pushed his way down the street, Tao and Kyungsoo taking their place on either side of her. The group soon passed their way through a market, weaving their way past the many vendors shouting about their merchandise. A particular women they passed, stationed behind rows and rows of sweet breads, waved in their direction calling out to Kyungsoo. He slipped away from the group, making his way over to the elderly women with ease. Corliss tried watching the exchange, but neither Baekhyun nor Tao slowed or made any indication that they knew Kyungsoo had split away or maybe they just didn't care. Corliss didn't try turning back, she had to keep moving if she didn't want to get lost.

 

Soon they were out of the busy market, walking through a less crowded area of town. Baekhyun's pace slowed as he reached the end of the street, finally stopping in front of a small seamstress shop. "Tao, wait here with Corliss. I will go get Nuada." Leaving the two behind Baekhyun disappeared behind the door.

 

Corliss glanced around, suddenly feeling sick to her stomach. This was probably where she would be living from now on. As the two waited for Baekhyun, Kyungsoo returned. "For what reason are you two waiting outside, and where is Baekhyun?"

 

Tao frowned in confusion, "He told us to wait for him to get Nuada, is that not what you normally do?" It was Tao's first time ever coming to Assegonion, the procedures which were typically followed when bringing the young women from Daor were unfamiliar to him. Kyungsoo and Baekhyun both knew that.

 

"No, we all go in typically. Here, this if for you." Kyungsoo reached into his bag and pulled out a small bundle wrapped in white muslin and handed it over to Corliss. "It is a honey cake. Mama Elus always gives them to the girls when we bring them in."

 

Corliss grabbed the cake, putting it into her own bag. She would save it for later. "Thank you, will you take me to see her so that I may thank her as well."

 

Kyungsoo shook his head, "There is no need, I guarantee that Mama Elus will stop by to visit you in the morning. You can thank her then. Now let us go introduce you to Nuada." Kyungsoo pushed open the door, entering into a room lined with floor to ceiling shelves filled with a variety of different fabrics. All sorted by

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter