Chapter 29

Life Behind the Wolf's Howl
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 29 (I didn’t feel like editing, so expect obvious mistakes)

 

Elana didn't know where she running to, or for how long she was supposed to keep the same pace. The sounds of fighting had far ago faded into a quiet night. The snow already inches above the forest floor. Elana slowed to a walk, breathing in an open mouth pant. She tilted her head back gazing up at the starry sky. The full moon beginning it's descent towards the horizon. She hoped Xiumin was alright. That he was safe and heading to find her right now.

 

Elana had to be far enough away. She decided that here, in this quiet forest opening, would be a safe place to wait for Xiumin. She would have to wait for him eventually, Elana didn't know where she was. Nor how to get back to the wolves' den, or even the general direction. She just prayed the things that had been chasing them didn't find her first.

 

Brushing the snow off of a fallen log, Elana sat down. Her breathing finally beginning to steady. The more calm her heart beat became the more she was aware of her surroundings. The owl hooting, the scurrying of rodents among the brush. The rustling of trees' bare branches as they scraped against each other in the wind. In the growing restlessness of the forest, Elana began to feel more and more alone.

 

She glanced around nervously, a shudder making it's way down her spine. It had been so long since she had been alone. Ever since she had seen him, Xiumin had always been with her. Stuck next to her like the sap they used to make syrup. It felt weird, so wrong for him to be gone. She missed him, missed his presence. Elana didn't like being alone.

 

The sound of snow crunching under soft footfalls, made Elana jump in fear and anticipation. She looked towards the source of the sound meeting a pair of glowing yellow gray eyes.

 

The memory of her accidental visit to the castle dungeon flashed across her mind. The image of dark fur, and saliva dripping, white teeth.

 

"Kai? It that you?"

 

The wolf walked out from the underbrush. The woolen cloak he and Suho had been wearing still draped around his shoulders; trailing behind him. Kai strode towards Elana transforming right in front of her. His face grimaced in low pain. He pulled the cloak tighter around him, to hide his body from Elana. "Please do not tell Xiumin that I transformed in front of you. He will surely kill me if he finds out."

 

Elana nodded, just staring at him in silence. It was the first time she had ever seen a phasing. It wasn't seamless, bone had popped out of socket, broke and reformed, or just morphed together. Yet, aside from the slight grimace of pain, the transformation seemed quick and painless.

 

While seeing Kai turn from wolf to human had been intriguing, Elana was truly glad just to see a familiar face. Without even realizing it, Elana had stood from h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter