Chapter 26

Life Behind the Wolf's Howl
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 26

 

Elana couldn't say how happy she was to finally get out of her dress. She had never been much of a dress person in the first place, but wearing the same outfit for nearly a month was most definitely a deal breaker. She was glad to finally be wearing pants, even if they were too big on her. The pants were Xiumin's, a pair she had asked to borrow from his wardrobe. When she had held them up they didn't look like they would be too large, but once she had them on Elana decided that a belt would be a good idea. She ended up making one by ripping up strips of fabric from her dress and braiding them together. She was satisfied with the results and that was part of the reason she was so happy. Finally being let outside, however, was the main reason.

 

Xiumin smiled as he watched her walk lightly on her feet through the woods. She was practically skipping, the woolen cloak Suho had given her, bouncing behind her with each step. The dark gray color of the cloth matched the cloaks Kai and Suho were wearing. Helping them to blend into the thick, darkening forest.

 

Xiumin was also quite surprised at how silently Elana walked through the woods. Humans were usually loud and women tended, for some unknown reason, to be even louder. But Elana was walking along the path like she had grown up living there. The leather shoes Kyungsoo had given her helped, but she walked on the balls of her feet. The most sensitive part of the foot. It would allow her to feel what was under her feet. Prevent herself from breaking branches or crunching leaves. Her skills, gave Xiumin a sense of pride.

 

"Alright, here is where we stop." Suho turned around, gazing at Kai and Elana. He gave them a quick once over, assessing their vitals and making sure there were no injuries.

 

The small group had stopped a little less than a mile from the village gates. Hidden between a small stream and a thick crop of  pine trees. They would wait there until the sun was just past the horizon. Then they would sneak into the village and get the information needed to plan the next Collection.

 

Kai stretched his arms over his head. He plopped down to the ground, resting his back up against a large pine. Making sure to avoid the sticky drips of sap that seeped from parts of the tree. Kai patted the spot next to him, "Elana, come here." He smiled as her cheekily, his eyes sparking in such a way that it made it impossible to say no. She sat next to him and Kai put his arm around her pulling Elana closer to his side. Kai sent a playful smirk towards Xiumin, his lips and then burying his nose into Elana's hair. Xiumin bristled in jealousy.

 

"Elana, do not sit with that brat, Come back over here," He let out a soft whine, putting on his best pouting face. Tilting his nose down and trying to look up at her with wide eyes (which was impossible seeing as how when Elana sat down, she was actually shorter than Xiumin). Elana frowned brushing Kai's arm off of her shoulders.

 

"No, I can sit wherever I want," Xiumin deflated, falling onto the ground and gazing up at her like a hurt puppy. "And just like me, you can sit wherever you want, too." Elana patted the open spot next to her, grinning slightly. "Come here."

 

So he did, but Xiumin didn't sit next to Elana. Instead he lay out across Kai, making sure to put all of his weight on his younger brother, resting his head in Elana's lap. Where she could easily run her fingers through his fur.

 

-----

 

"Have there been any sightings yet?"

 

"No sir, there have not. The forest is silent, it is almost as if the Beast-man have left."

 

Kris sighed, sinking into the oak chair behind him. The guard fidgeted, keeping his gaze on the cracks between the wooden floorboards. Kris ran a hand through his unruly hair, frustrated and - though he wouldn't admit it - scared. He didn't understand why the Beast-man had seemingly vanished without a trace.  He feared what that might mean for the village. Were they planning an attack, had the time come to finally finish off the entire village? Kris wasn't sure, but the longer the guards went without a sighting, the more fearful Kris became. He ended up taking his fear out on the unsuspecting guards, hitting and giving unjust judgment on even the smallest mistake. Kris knew it was wrong for him to do that, but he couldn't help himself. His fear just took over.

 

"Stop fidgeting!" Kris's voice echoed around the room, his chair clattering against the floor. All he could see was red. The anger, no, the fear surrounding him. Kris lost his sense of humanity, his breathing becoming labored, his body shaking like that of a rabid animal.

 

"Kris, Stop." Luhan's calm voice filled the room, stopping Kris in his movement. The redness faded and reality melted back into place around him. His gaze flickered towards his friend, who stood at the door with a frown on his face. "Let him go." Kris glanced down at his hands. Only now realizing that his was the collar of the young guard's shirt, his other hand pulled back in a fist. Kris dropped his hands, muttering a silent apology to the trembling boy that ran from the room. Kris sank to the floor, his face held in his hands.

 

"Thank you, Luhan. I do not know what came over me." Luhan walked into the room sitting down beside his friend. He ran a hand through his hair, staring at the space in front of him.

 

"It is because you are scared. But what I do not understand is why." Luhan turned towards Kris, "You were always the strongest, physicall

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter