Chapter 12

Life Behind the Wolf's Howl
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 12

 

Glossophobia, is the number one fear in America. Elana had learned that, it was a fact she had been taught her freshman year of high school in her English class. Yet, it had never been much of a concern for her. Public speaking was very easy for Elana. She always volunteered to go first during class presentations, and always did really well.  Elana had even come to the conclusion that she enjoyed giving speeches. Much like how she enjoyed performing. There was never any nervousness, or fear when ever she stood in front of people. It was far from frightening, having everyone's attention on her. Elana just loved being in the spotlight. Though, she wasn't the type to fight for the attention, she would gladly wallow in the spotlight when it was given to her.

 

The thought that she would not want to be the center of attention had never crossed her mind. Nonetheless, here she was cowering behind a wolf as seven sets of eyes inspected her. Never before had she felt as judged as she did the moment Xiumin had led her into the common room.

 

At first Elana had been too distracted by the grand, stain glass window and overly large fireplace to even notice the others in the room. The light from outside shedding an array of different colors all across the room and tall ceiling.

 

In that split second Elana had felt a temporary peace. The light spilling from the stain glass window setting the room up with a magical feeling, as the colors fluttered about the room. The light sporadically catching the dust particles in just the right angle, allowing the room to look like it was sparkling. It wasn't until she heard Suho speaking, that she realized it wasn't just her and Xiumin in the room.

 

"Xiumin, Elana, you are here."

 

Elana peered down, removing her eyes from the rainbow of colors that danced along the tall, stone ceiling. Her body unconsciously moving to place Xiumin between her, and the unfamiliar people lounging around the room. Every single one of them

watching her. Elana's moment of peace dissolved away, replaced by a butterfly of nerves in the pit of her stomach, and a touch of fear and wariness.

 

Elana her lips, which suddenly felt extremely chapped and dry. Her hands gripping ever so slightly onto the long fur around Xiumin's neck.

She did a once over all of the new faces in the room. Stopping briefly on the face of the one who had caught her. He was only barely looking her way. Watching her from the corner of his eye, as he leaned against the mantle of the fireplace at the far end of the room. Elana glanced past him focusing her gaze onto Suho. Who had been waiting for her attention.

 

"Now that you are here, would you like something to eat?" Suho waited for a response, noting every fidget the girl before him made. She moved very little, her eye continually flickering between everyone in the room. Mostly she watched Chanyeol. Albeit he was practically harmless, Suho recognized the action, she didn't feel safe with the others in the room. And who would, the man that had captured her was also in the room.  Suho stood, his sudden movement making Elana backed away a step.

 

Suho motioned towards Lay and Kyungsoo and headed towards the kitchen, "Come, we will make you something to eat."

 

Elana took a hesitant step after Suho and the other two. Only following after when Xiumin started following them to the kitchen.

 

-----

 

Elana wondered, as she placed another spoonful of food into , if perhaps some of her nerves had been nothing but hunger. Because not too soon after she had started eating the sweet porridge that had been made, could she feel herself start to relax and her nerves calm. By the time she had finished, she felt completely fine. Well not completely, she still felt the need to be cautious, but she was not scared of any of the men that sat in the kitchen with her.

 

Suho, obviously, because he had helped to protect her from the wolves in the dungeon. Suho, although frustrated Elana to no end, gave of this feeling that she could trust him. A feeling of authority, almost like a parent, yet not quite the same. Elana wasn't exactly sure how to describe it, but she knew that he wouldn't harm her. At least she hoped that was the case.

 

Lay and Kyungsoo, also seemed to be nice. Both had worked to make her something to eat, and hadn't poisoned anything.

 

Lay had this very gentle, comforting smile, that helped Elana relax. He spoke to her in soft tones. That helped smooth out the prickling feeling in her nerves. Her muscles began to loosen up from the tenseness she felt before.

 

Kyungsoo, she had been least sure about. When he had first introduced himself, he had given her this, almost, judging look that sent shudders down her spine. Abruptly he had stepped in extremely close to her. His body mere inches from hers. His large eyes scrutinizing and scanning her from head to toe, then he brought his head in towards her neck. Before Elana had even processed what was happening he took a deep inhale. Elana didn't even have time to move away from him it had happened so quickly. As soon as he had stepped towards her, he was gone. Xiumin having growled at him when he had gotten too close to her.

 

Elana gaped at him, did he really just sniff her, and for what reason? Kyungsoo gave her one final look, before turning towards Lay, whispering something into his ear. Then both set to work running around the medieval kitchen.

 

Xiumin circled around Elana nudging her towards a small table in the corner of the room, were Suho sat watching the other two work. Once she was sitting Elana leaned across the table, "Why did he smell me?" She had whispered quietly because she didn't want to offend the man that was cooking her food.

 

Suho moved his gaze, from the racket his two brother were making, towards Elana. "I can not say for sure, but he was probably making sure that he could trust you. If you really want to know you should ask Kyungsoo yourself." Elana grimaced at the thought. That was not happening. So she sat quietly and waited. Inspecting the kitchen in wonderment, Xiumin sitting down next to her chair, his large body pressed against her legs, his head resting in her lap.

 

"So, I heard you ran into our two youngest brothers this afternoon. You are okay, right?" Kyungsoo's deep voice startled Elana slightly from her thoughts.

 

Elana frowned slightly as Kyungsoo watched her from across the kitchen. He didn't mean the two wolves from earlier did he? Unsure of what else he could be inquiring about, Elana stumbled on her words stuttering slightly before answering. "Uh, yeah I wasn't injured or anything like that." She her lips again, once more noticing how dry and chapped they were.

 

Kyungsoo sighed at her answers, he had figured as much, though he was a little surprised that Suho hadn't noticed. Which, might be because of what tonight was, so Kyungsoo wasn't too surprised it went unnoticed. Xiumin definitely felt it, but in his state the best he could do was what he was already doing. Not leaving her side. "I could tell you were not physically harmed, but are you okay?"

 

Elana swallowed, why did he have to say that? Now everyone was looking at her, waiting for her response. Her tongue ran across her lips again. "I'll be fine. You don't need to worry about me." That was how things worked with Elana. She didn't share her thoughts with anyone, ever. She hated it when people tried to comfort her with useless words that never helped. Things like: "Everything will be okay" or "Everything will work out." Elana already knew that, so it irritated her when people said that. It was like they only said it to make the people watching think that they cared. When in reality they probably didn't.

 

"So then, you are not okay." It wasn't a question, Kyungsoo clearly understood that she was still a bit frazzled by the incident. "But then I suppose most people would not let a grown wolf anywhere near them after something

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter