Always here

The Stars

 “Oppa, where are you?” Jihyo was waiting for her boyfriend in a 24 hour café near her house.

“Hmmm…” came the reply.

“Oppa!! Did you forget that we are going trekking today?” Jihyo was visibly disappointed, if not annoyed. She has been pestering her boyfriend, Baek Chang Joo, to go trekking with her ever since Gary once told her about his trekking adventures. It was hard to get a weekday when both of them were free.

“Ahh mianhae…” He paused to clear his throat. The voice was husky because he was sleeping. “I had a meeting until late at night yesterday… can we do this another day?”

“Aniyaaaaa, I want to do it today! Pleaseeee?” Jihyo whined. She doesn’t usually whine. She only does that in front of her parents, her boyfriend and Kang Gary.

“Hmm…” Chang Joo grunted. “Arraso. I’ll come out in another 30 minutes. Just let me nap for a while more.” Eventually, he gave in to her.

Jihyo thought for a while. “Did you sleep really late last night?” she asked, concerned.

“Didn’t take note actually…. The meeting ended at 2 plus, then I had to make amendments to the proposal….”

Jihyo did the calculations in her head. He usually took about an hour to edit his proposals, which meant he slept at around 3. She glanced at her watch, 445am. He had barely 2 hours of sleep!?

“Kwenchana, oppa, I’ll go myself. You rest well.”

“Of course I can’t do that! It’s dangerous for a girl to go trekking alone! I’m coming, wait for me.” he said, sounding more awake. Jihyo smiled.

“It’s dangerous for someone who hasn’t slept enough to go trekking too, oppa,” she tackled him cheekily.

“Arasso, take care…”

“Ok oppa. Rest well.”

And she started off her adventure. The morning traffic was light and she reached her destination earlier than expected. She wasn’t really a morning person and this was one of the super rare occasions she was up before the sun. But the morning air was really refreshing and the cool breeze cleared her mind. No wonder Kang Gary says he gets his inspiration from the nature, she smiled.

The hike was pretty tiring, but it didn’t help that there was no one to support her. On a few occasions she nearly slipped, but thankfully she maintained her balance. She chose the shortest route to the top, knowing that it would be rather steep. But being the daredevil she was, she continued with it. Besides, she wanted to make it to the top before the sunrise.

It was still early and the sky was still dark, and she couldn’t see clearly yet. She used her torch to guide her way. She made her way up hurriedly since there wasn’t much view to enjoy in the dark sky.

She was at the top by 640. The sun had already started to rise, and it was a beautiful sight to behold.

She was standing on a peak of a mountain, looking the sun edge towards the sky bit by bit. The sun illuminated the dark sky, making it a beautiful shade of orange, pink and red. The rays of the sun shone in all directions, but it wasn’t glaring yet. It was gentle, soothing, warm. The clouds weren’t white like they normally were, but a light shade of pink. The wind blew strongly, and it was colder at a higher altitude, but it wasn’t uncomfortably cold. A loose strand of hair tickled her cheeks and she let it be.

She took out her phone to snap a picture when she remembered what Gary once said. Don’t waste your time taking photos and then realise that you didn’t admire the view carefully enough. Remember the view and feelings in your heart. Your camera can’t capture that. She finally understood what he meant. Use your heart to see.

She pulled her jacket tighter as she admired the view. The bird’s eye view of her motherland. Everything looked so miniature up there, even she felt small. She felt overwhelmed by emotions she couldn’t describe exactly which was it. Pride, love, happiness, gratitude, nostalgia.

Suddenly, she realised that she had fallen in love again. She fell in love with nature.

By 720 the morning sun was finally up. She held up her hand to shield her eyes from the fiercer glares of the sun as she looked at the view for one last time. She let a sigh out, for no reason in particular. Maybe because it was such a magnificent sight, maybe it was because she was reluctant to go, or maybe, just maybe she felt that it was a pity she couldn’t share the view with the one she loved.

 

***

“Have you guys called Jihyo yet? We’re starting the meeting soon.” The PD sounded annoyed. They were 10 minutes behind schedule already. Several times a year, the running man casts and producers will meet up to discuss their agenda for the year and plan a rough filming schedule. That day, it was time for the meeting again. And not surprisingly, Jihyo was late again.

“She’s always late,” GwangSoo grumbled, in the playful way. “Let’s just start without her. She’s so mong, she would just space out after a while anyway.”

“No,” the PD insisted firmly. Always sticking to his principles and always so self-righteous. “Call her again,” he ordered.

JaeSuk dialled her number but there was no reply.

Gary was strangely worried. He didn’t know why. Maybe it was because she usually called if she was going to be late; or maybe it was because she didn’t reply him when he asked how the trekking session was. It rained in the morning and somehow he just felt uneasy. He had wondered if Jihyo had already finished trekking by then. Slippery roads weren’t an easy feat even for an experienced trekker like him, not to mention a newbie trekkers, or a pair of newbies for that matter.

“There! Her manager is here!” HaHa pointed out to a lady brisk-walking towards the room.

“Joesonghabnida!” she said as she bowed. She glanced around. “Jihyo isn’t here yet?”

The rest were shocked. “She’s not with you? We can’t contact her!”

“Neither could I!” She looked worried. “I have been trying to get to her since 5pm… but…” she trailed off.

Gary suddenly felt his heart tightened. Nothing would have happened, Baek Chang Joo ssi is with her, he told himself.

“Could it be her phone went out of battery?” Jong Kook offered.

“Maybe? But she usually has a spare battery…”

“What was her schedule for today?” someone asked.

“Trekking” Gary blurted out.

“She went trekking with her boyfriend this morning.” Her manager said simultaneously. The members looked at Gary in surprise but did not question further.

“She said she would want to rest, so we don’t have a schedule for the day, other than this meeting.” The manager continued.

“Ahhhh maybe she’s still sleeping like a log! Why don’t you call her parents?” GwangSoo joked. But honestly, he was worried. He knew that although his noona slept a lot, she wouldn’t be this irresponsible to forget a meeting.

“Neh.” The manager replied before excusing herself to call Jihyo’s parents.

After about 10 minutes, she came back. “Her parents have no news of her either. She told them she would meet them for lunch but she didn’t turn up. But they thought it was because she was too busy….” The other cast members were exchanging worried glances.

She continued. “I also called her boyfriend, and he said they didn’t go trekking together. Apparently she went alone.”

. Gary thought. . Something must have happened.

“She went alone?!” JaeSuk was worried too. “I read it rained in many areas this morning. Could it be…”

“Which mountain?” Gary demanded.

Without a need for a further prompt, the manager called Baek Chang Joo again.

“He says he can’t remember the name because they were supposed to meet up first and go together.”

Gary mentally cursed him in his head.

“But he said it should be in the southern part.”

“Goodness, that helps a lot,” HaHa said. There were so many mountains in that area.

Southern part… Gary thought. He don’t know if his range was good enough, but he supposed he could try. For her.

“I’m going to find her,” he announced.

“What?! You don’t even know which mountain!”

“I’ll try my luck,” he shrugged.

Suk Jin looked up from his phone and said, “Weather forecasts predicts heavy rain in the southern area, Gary-ah. It’s dangerous.”

“That’s precisely why I should go. Now.” Gary raised his voice, sounding pissed. He always sounds like that what he’s anxious. “Joesonghabnida, PD-min, I would have to excuse myself first.” And he turned to leave without even waiting for their response.

“Wait.” Jong Kook called. “There are three mountains there. I suppose it would be more efficient if we split into groups and….”

“Don’t be crazy. I can’t let you guys risk yourselves. Like SukJin hyung said, it’s dangerous.”

“Like I can let you risk your life?!” Now Jong Kook was angry. He treated Gary like his little brother.

“I’m different! I trek regularly!” Gary still sounded annoyed. Jong Kook look exasperated. “Trust me, hyung,” Gary said, more softly, but firmly and confidently.

Jong Kook relented. “Be careful.”

Gary nodded as he half-jogged out. He drove as fast as he could to the southern tip of Korea. The raindrops splattered heavily on his car, adding to his frustrations. When he finally stopped after almost two hours of driving, he stepped out of the car to search for Jihyo’s energy.

He took a deep breath as he begin his search. His usual range was about 5-8km, depending on his condition. But this time, he had no idea how far he had to reach out to. He closed his eyes to concentrate more. He usually doesn’t have to, but closing his eyes helped him to focus more on feeling than seeing.

5 minutes passed. Nothing.

10 minutes. Still nothing.

He was about to get into the car and drive more when he felt it. It was weak, maybe because it was too far, but it was definitely there. And without a doubt, it was Jihyo’s.

He sped towards the source of the energy. He didn’t know the exact location yet, but he just followed the direction of the energy.  Finally, he stopped at the foot of Yeongchwisan. And he saw her car. It’s here. He heaved a sigh of relief. He continued to follow the direction and realised that he was taking the toughest route. Really, Jihyo, must you be such a daredevil?

As he approached, he realised that Jihyo’s energy were weak. Not the faraway kind of weak. It was different kind- A sickly kind of weak. A feeble kind of weak. He felt nauseated, he couldn’t tell if it was because he was too worried, or because he was too exhausted.

He sped up and finally found her in a pavilion. She was lying on the floor, sleeping or unconscious, he couldn’t tell yet.

“Jihyo!” he exclaimed as he ran towards her. She was soaked through and her wet hair stuck to her face and neck. But she still looked absolutely stunning. He held her in his arms and noticed that she was hot. Not that kind of hot. Burning hot. Feverish hot. And her lips were pale.

“Oppa…” she whispered. It wasn’t a whisper actually; she was trying to call him. But she was so weak that it sounded like a whisper. “I’m scared…”

 

“I’m here now, don’t be scared, ok?” he said gently as he caressed her cheeks. “Let’s go to the hospital…”

He took out her wet jacket and gave her his dry one. He kept her jacket in her back pack, since it was soaked and probably won’t help him much. Then he piggybacked her and carried her bag pack on his front. He was already exhausted from the searching, not to mention the piggyback. He wanted to collapse but he willed himself not to.

 “Thank you oppa,” she mumbled weakly, as she rested her head on Gary’s shoulder.

“No problem, Jihyo ah…. Oppa’s always here for you,” he whispered softly. Forever and always.

She didn’t reply. Maybe she already went back to sleep. Gary sighed. Might as well. Better if you didn’t hear that.

Although somewhat unstable at times, he made his way down safely, even managing to call the ambulance on the way down.

He followed the ambulance to the hospital and called her manager and HaHa on the way.

In the hospital, the doctor concluded that she was suffering from hypothermia, a condition that results when the patient is exposed to the cold for prolonged periods, thus explaining the fever. She sprained her ankle as well, and suffered some cuts and bruises. But nothing life-threatening, the doctor assured.

Relieved, Gary told HaHa to send him home. He didn’t want her boyfriend, nor her, to misunderstand. HaHa did so without any probing. He knew his buddy was dead tired.

The next morning, Jihyo woke up in a daze. She saw Baek Chang Joo asleep on the sofa beside the hospital bed. Wait, wasn’t Gary the one who sent me here?

She blinked her eyes in confusion, trying to remember what happened the previous day.

She was trekking and all and on her way down it suddenly rained. She quickened her pace, only to slip and fall, thus spraining her ankle. Holding back tears, she tried to call for help, but her phone had already gotten wet and hanged. She wanted to just collapse and cry but being the Ace she was, she hobbled all the way to the nearest shelter with her sprained leg and injuries. She was cold, tired, hungry. She was angry at Chang Joo for leaving her alone, angry at Gary for bringing up trekking, angry at herself for wanting to do this alone. She lied down and hugged her knees close to her chest, curling up in a ball to minimize heat lost. And unknowingly she sobbed herself to sleep. Who wouldn’t breakdown when thrown into such situation? She didn’t know how to get help, now that her phone died. All she could hope for is a random trekker would come by and rescue her. But as luck would have it, she chose the most secluded mountain to avoid the crowds. And who treks on a freaking Wednesday? She drifted in and out of sleep, sometimes feeling hot, sometimes cold.

Then she remembered, at night, she didn’t know what time, a man piggybacked her down. She knew it was Kang Gary, even though she was in a state of confusion. The way he piggybacked her, his scent, his voice. And she remembered.

Oppa’s always here for you.

Did I just imagine it? She frowned to herself.

 

(Superrrrr long chapted to celebrate my off day!!! plus cny's around the corner hoppie woodie whoop. but guess what, i freaking got to work. -.- )