Meet

The Stars

It took another two days for Gary to muster up enough courage to call Jihyo.

Meanwhile, back in Korea, Jihyo was trying to find out the whereabouts of Gary, but to no avail. She couldn’t eat or sleep properly; She tried to put on a strong front in front of others, but she was like a living dead- lifeless and expressionless. Her family and running man cast tried to help her out, and encourage her, it did not change anything.

Five days after Gary’s disappearance, she received a call from an unknown number. Recently, she got many such calls, pretending that they’ve seen Gary, but they were all fakes. How could people be so cruel to toy with her feelings, she couldn't understand.

Her thumb instinctively moved to swipe the reject button, but her gut feeling told her to pick it up.

“Yoboseyo?”

There was no reply. Gary was at a loss of words, after not hearing her voice for so many days. Her voice sounded so weak and lifeless. His heart ached.

“Yeoboseyo?” she repeated, in a firmer tone.

“…”

“If you are not speaking, I’m going to hang up.”  She was getting annoyed. Usually, she would had hung up after the first no-reply, but strangely, she persisted for three times.

Gary let out a breath. He realised that he had been holding his breath since she picked up the call. He clenched his phone so tightly that his palms were already sweating.

“I…” he muttered, not knowing where to start.

Then, it hit Jihyo. It was Gary. He didn’t have to say anything more. She could already tell- fromt the way he let out a breath, from the way he stuttered ‘I’, from the tension and apprehension in his voice… It was Gary. Tears flowed down her cheeks. Whether was it tears of relief, or tears of anger, or tears of sadness, she didn’t know. All she knew was warm, salty tears flowing uncontrollably from her eyes.

On the other end of the line, Gary could hear her suppressed cries.

“Mianhae,” he whispered. “Mianhae…”

She couldn’t reply. She had so many questions. Why did you leave? Where are you now? Why can't I feel you anymore? Will you ever come back? She had so many things to ask, but she couldn’t say anything. She just held onto her phone, letting the tears fall silently down.

Eventually, she said the most important thing, “I missed you.”

Gary’s eyes were getting red and teary. He wanted to reach out to her, to wipe her tears, to pull her into a hug, to kiss her and tell her everything’s going to be ok, but he can’t do any of it.

Both of them held onto their phones as tightly as they could, neither of them speaking, just softly crying.

“Jihyo-ah, let’s meet at the Oasis ok? Remember the tree house? I’ll explain everything to you. I’m sorry.” Gary finally spoke up.

“Ne…” Jihyo nodded. “See you.” She was excited to see him again, but yet, so afraid of his explanations.

Without Gary to guide her into the Oasis, she took a longer time than expected. And she was unable to find the house as easily as before. It frustrated her because it further highlights the fact that something is missing, but she couldn’t pin point what.

 

***

Gary was already inside when Jihyo finally arrived. He was standing up, pacing up and down nervously.

They faced each other, taking a few seconds to react. It was Jihyo who made the move first. She ran up to Gary and wrapped her arms around his neck, hugging him tightly.

Gary hugged her around her waist, burying his face against her neck. He couldn’t help but notice how skinny she got. Her eye bags were heavy and dark circles surrounded her eyes. And her energy… no more lively spikes and twists and turns. They were almost still. All the vibrant colours she once had were now covered in a monotonous grey. Her eyes, while still beautiful, no longer had the hopeful, gleeful shine. It hurt him so badly.

He pulled away first.

Why did you leave? More than anything else, he could sense fear in her thoughts. She was fearful of his answer, and he was afraid to answer as well.

Because I love you. I love you Jihyo, but we can’t be together.

And solemnly, he explained everything the Captain told her.

But I was fine in the past! All the times we spent together... she protested.

That was because you hadn't had your Breakthrough yet... Jihyo-ah, I know it's hard... I’m so sor…

Is there any way for me to go back to the pre-breakthrough stage? She interrupted him, fraught with anxiety.

He gloomily shook his head.

What will happen.... If you take away my golden energy...

Your telepathic abilities will gradually diminish... and eventually...
 

But oppa! I don't mind being not telepathic... Please...don't leave me... Jihyo, held onto his arms, pleading him. She was never the clingy girlfriends who would refuse a break up no matter what. She would be hurt, definitely, but she wouldn't resort to begging to make the other stay. To her, if he had to leave, then it was only because they weren't meant to be.

But Gary..... she knew they were fated. They were meant to be....


Mongji-ah... it's not so simple as that... After our Breakthrough, telepathy becomes part of us.. it's almost like breathing to us... Gary tried his best to explain to her. It hasn't been that long since her Breakthrough, of course she didn't know was integral was telepathy to them. 

Hm, let me give you an analogy. Before babies are born, they don't have to breathe, because they get their oxygen from the mother, right? Through the umbilical cord. So, it doesn't matter that their lungs are filled with water from the placenta... So... The foetus is you, before your Breakthrough, and I'm like the water, and.... breathing is like telepathy....

Jihyo nodded slowly... she could see where this was heading…

But when the baby is born, its first cries will force the water in its lungs out, so now the baby can breathe on its own... It has to breathe on its own. And when its lungs get filled with water again... 

It will drown...

Gary nodded slowly.

Is there really no other way out?

I tried, Jihyo, I really tried. Remember when I was very sick? It was because I was trying to take away my powers. But I can’t Jihyo… I’m sorry. The best I could do, is to break our bond, so we’ll not miss each other so much.

Instantly she knew the bond was the connection she felt in the past. The bond… it means so little when we love each other so much…

Gary nodded knowingly. There’s nothing else we can do… He reached out to wipe her tears away.

Then must you stay out of Korea? She asked, not making eye contact. She already knows the answer.

If I stay, we wouldn’t be able to resist being apart. And… I don’t know how apart we must be for me to stop taking away your energy. The safest is out of Korea. He didn't tell her he was residing in Canada. It was better for her not to know.

She made no other response, except for her falling tears. Gary pulled her into a hug. Let this be the last time we’re meeting up, ok? Don’t cry and let’s enjoy our last moments together.

Can’t we email, or call, or anything?

We can… but it’s better for us to forget each other. His heart broke when he said it, but it was true. If they can never be together, they would have to move on. Clinging onto each other would be unhealthy. There can never be ‘just friends’ between two people who truly loved each other, because the feelings always remains. Promise me, you’ll forget me one day, and live happily. It doesn’t have to be now, it’ll take time… but promise me you’ll try ok?

She closed her eyes in despair. I won’t be able to forget you, oppa… Kajgushipta… Kang Gary.

He leaned forward to kiss her forehead. Kajgushipta, Song Ji Hyo, but I have to let you go.

 

(DOUBLE UPDATE !!!! hahhahaah guess how are they gna get back together!!!!)