Reason

The Stars

Why is Jihyo’s golden energy flickering? Gary asked the captain. The flickering had been going on for quite a while now, and it was getting more obvious.

The captain sighed.

I warned you before, you know? That you were never meant to be together. But I guess… it’s too late now…

When?

It’s not important anymore.... Did you know why we separated into the five elements in the beginning?

Gary shook his head.

Because, our ancestors realised that some of our powers complemented each other, while some were in conflict. They realised that it was similar to the Chinese element system, Earth, Metal, Fire, Water, Wood. So we were classified according to our nature of the power.

See, water, is a natural medicine. When we’re sick or anything, we’ll be told to drink more water isn’t it? And when we injure ourselves, we use water to clean up our wounds, isn’t it? So, water powers are associated with healing.

Then we have fire. Fire is known to be aggressive, right? And definitely hard to control, so it’s for the aggressive abilities.

Metals- dangerous as a weapon, but easy to control, isn’t it? It’s malleable, allowing you to change it to different shapes and sizes easily. Thus- telekinesis.

Earth, represents the beginning of all lifeforms. So, the powers are related to the basic senses, right. Hearing, Seeing- both seekers and seers. Teleportation as well, since earth is related to land and space.

Wood, represents nature and flexibility, but more gentle than metal and fire. So shape-shifters, illusionist, and whispers are part of wood.

And these elements interact with each other in different ways.

Earth helps metal, since metals are found in the ground;

Metals helps water, as metals in the pail or bucket forms hold water;

Water helps wood, since wood, as in trees, need water to grow;

Wood helps fire, since wood gives rise to fire;

And finally, fire makes earth, as in the ash form.

The elements also hinders each other.

Fire hinders metal, because it melts them;

Metal hinders wood, because wood is cut by metal;

Wood hinders earth, because they hold the earth in place, just like how plants prevent soil erosion;

And you, earth, hinders water, because it blocks the flow of water.

Gary stifled a gasp, his eyes rounded in shock. How come no one told him?

Reading his thoughts, the captain replied.

Ever since the “departure” of metals, we stopped with that ‘hypothesis’, since the cycle was not completed anymore. And we gradually found out that the hindering and helping parts aren’t always true. So in the past, while only Stars of the same element were allowed to get together, now, Stars of different elements could get married as well. And it seemed to be more beneficial than harmful, since it created different combinations of powers, so there were hybrids, like your friend, Dylan, is a Fire and Wood.

But for your case, it seems to be different. Maybe because you are such a strong Seeker, and Jihyo is a strong healer. So your elements are both very strong. And to make things worse, you are a Seeker. It probably wouldn’t have mattered if you are another Earth. But Seekers seek energy. And they are especially attracted to the golden energy. It wouldn’t have mattered if she’s another element, but she just had to be a Water, the most defenceless element against you Earths.

Gary’s throat constricted. He felt choked, his eyes burnt and tears started to flow. He knew exactly what was going to happen if they continued to be together. He will take away all of the golden energy. And because of that… she will eventually die.

With tears in his eyes, he asked, is there no way out? Even though in his heart he already knew the answer.

Unless she has another element in her…

Gary knew it wasn’t possible. It has been weeks since her Breakthrough, it would have appeared it she had another.

Or… he sighed, closing his eyes. You take away your own powers.

He knew what it means. He has to Break himself. Not exactly ‘break’, maybe more of half-break. Breaking meant taking away everything, even his telepathic ability. It was like what they did to Metals. He couldn’t do it on his own; it required four elements to break one element. To take away his own powers, it’s like the Giving process, where the givers pass on their powers to another person, but retain their telepathic abilities- if they survive. It’s just that in his case, he wouldn’t be giving it to anyone…

Even though there wasn’t much hope of success, he has got to give it a try…

 

(And tadaaaa thats why he broke himself... thats all folks... till next week then!)