Sick

The Stars

Gary tossed and turned in bed. He couldn’t sleep. No, wait- he wasn’t even trying to sleep. He was half-conscious. He ran a high fever, close to 40 degrees celcius.

He kept groaning, his hands ing around deliriously. His head throbbed like mad- like there was someone pulling his nerves; or someone hammering his head. He yelled out incoherent stuffs at times.

Jihyo never left his side. She tried to heal him, but it couldn’t work. It even made her slightly faint from exhaustion. She resorted to sponging him with a wet cloth.

She carefully sat him up against the wall behind his bed.

“Oppa, eat something…” she said dejectedly as she fed him a spoonful of porridge. She knew he would eventually vomit it out, but he needs to eat something before eating his medicine.

Gary attempted to turn his head away. He hated the feeling of vomiting. He didn’t want to feel his throat burn from vomiting bile and stomach acid and everything he ate. But he was so weak, he couldn’t even resist.

Jihyo fed him about 5 spoonfuls before he vomited again.

He started to tear because it was so painful and so uncomfortable.

Jihyo’s heart started to ache when she saw her tears. She could feel his pain, both mentally and physically, since they were telepathic, and not to mention bonded. She hated herself for being unable to do anything.

“Just one more mouthful, ok?” She coaxed, letting her own tears fall onto his arms.

He didn’t respond, but Jihyo fed him nonetheless. Then she gave him some medicine. He couldn’t swallow a tablet so she crushed it into powder form and dissolved it in water. It tasted disgusting and made him want to vomit even more, but he forced it down.

“It’s … so… un… un… comfortable…” he gasped. He couldn’t even think telepathically anymore.

“I know, I know,” she whispered as she pulled him into her embrace. He was shivering with cold, but sweating profusely.

She wiped off his sweat and pulled the blankets over him.

“Get well soon, oppa…”

***

8 hours before…

Dylan has been trying to “contact” Gary for a few days already. Even when they were busy, they would still spend some time every day to talk telepathically. But for the past few days, he couldn’t get to him no matter how much he tried.

There was a subtle difference between ignoring and not receiving the thoughts people sent you telepathically. It’s like the ticks on whatsapp. There is a difference between if the person received the thoughts (double blue tick in whatsapp), but choose to ignore, or when he doesn’t receive the thoughts at all (one tick).

For Gary’s case, he wasn’t receiving Dylan’s thoughts.

Which was strange, because given both their strength, there was no distance they couldn’t cover.

It was only until that morning that Gary sent an explosion of pain across the globe to Dylan, making him drop his glass in surprise. 

What the hell?!

Uraghhh!!

Hey what’s wrong?

Hey bro?

Gary?!!!!

Uraghhhh! Hel…ppp

Gary seriously omg what’s wrong!?

His thoughts were not sending through, similar to a bad connection, meaning he wasn’t strong enough. Either that or, Gary tried to Break himself.

'OMFG?! Why would he even do that?' he thought to himself.

He called Jihyo immediately. Jihyo had just returned from a photoshoot in New York, so she didn’t know about Gary yet. She had been trying to call him, but he didn’t pick up. She only thought he was busy. Being new to the telepathic abilities, she couldn’t 'talk' to him when they were so far. That kind of distance needed years of training.

“Dylan?” Jihyo picked up, tired and shocked.

“Jihyo-ssi?”

 “Yes?”

“Have you seen Gary recently?” he asked in broken Korean. Both Gary and him have taught each other their mother tongue, but they weren’t really successful since telepathy was a much more convenient way. But nonetheless, they were still able to put simple ideas across.

“No.. I just came back from overseas… why?

“I think he’s really sick, can you…”

No wonder I kept having a horrible headache throughout the shooting… Jihyo felt a pang of guilt, she didn’t think it was the bond. She could have called HaHa to check on him if she couldn’t get him. Why did she not think of it?

“Ah, ok I’m going to his place now.”

“Please don’t bring him to the hospitals. I’ll come as soon as I can.”

“Why…?”

“Just don’t. It wouldn’t help anyway.”

Jihyo frowned. Why wouldn’t it help? But she agreed anyway.

***

It was 8pm. A gust of wind blew through Gary’s window and a young man appeared. He was slightly short for a male, about 1.7m. He had a small face, framed by messy, curly, dark brown hair. His eyes were round and had a dark shade of blue. His nose wasn’t very sharp, unlike most westerners. It took a while for her to recognise him- Dylan. She only saw him a few times in the Oasis, but the cheerful lad took it upon himself to exchange numbers since ‘she was his best friend’s girlfriend’.

She stifled a gasp when he appeared so suddenly.

“Dylan…” she thought and said out at the same time.

He smiled shyly, revealing a set of dimples.

You… flew here… from Canada?!

He laughed a small laugh. Nah, that would take too long! I flew from the airport. He sent a chuckle over.

She nodded.

How’s he?

He’s finally asleep.  He was delirious in the morning. Jihyo gestured into his room, while she herself went to the kitchen to continue cleaning up.

Dylan went it and looked at him. Without a doubt, he knew he was trying to Break himself.

Why the heck did you do that for?

Gary stirred a bit in his sleep, but didn’t reply.

You nearly killed yourself, buddy. Don’t do that again, no matter the reason ok?

Don’t… tell… her. Gary formed his thoughts with much effort.

Dylan wanted to probe more, but seeing how much pain he was in, he decided to ask him again another time.

He will be ok soon right?  Jihyo didn’t know why she even asked him. He wasn’t a doctor or anything, how would he know? But she just needed the affirmation that he would be ok.

Yes, he will, don’t worry so much.

She sighed. How can she not? Why can’t I bring him to the doctor?

It wouldn’t help him, it’s just a phase some Stars have to go through.

Why?

He shrugged. It’s just like that, just like now normal people get measles and chicken pox and all. He’ll be fine. Unlike Gary, Dylan could lie easily.

Jihyo nodded. Ok, I understand, thank you...

Oh yeah, try not to give him so much medicine; those contains chemicals… which are not good for us Stars.

He passed her a bottle of herbs.

Give him these instead. These are natural herbs, they are more useful painkillers for Stars. I’m sure he has some at home too, but I don’t know where he keeps it.

Ok, thank you, she accepted it gratefully.

Ok, I’ll get going then.

Wow, that’s fast!

He smiled. Yeah, I just came to check up on him.

He’s lucky to have a friend like you, Jihyo nodded. A friend who travels over 8000km just to check on him for 10 minutes.

Dylan smiled shyly. He would, for me too.

And he disappeared with a gust of wind.