Treats

The Stars

Gary and Jihyo stayed and played with the children till night time. Gary ordered pizza as a treat for the children.

The little happy pills ran about excitedly at the sight of the pizzas. They don’t usually have such luxurious dinner. For one thing it was unhealthy, for another, the orphanage didn’t have enough funds. They jokingly bit each other’s pizza and sometimes snatched it away from one another, resulting in more laughter. And more mess. But it doesn’t matter because they had fun.

After a day of yelling and screaming, it was finally time for the children to go to bed.

Gary and Jihyo stayed in the canteen to talk while Mdm Park ensured that the kids were in bed.

“How’s YongHui?”

“That child’s fine. He’s just worried that YongJie will forget him. I assured him he wouldn’t.” Just like how I never forgot my brother…

Jihyo nodded. “Hye Jin’s alright too. These kids are unbelievably strong.” She sighed, although was a compliment, but she sounded so sad saying it. “Kids are meant to be carefree and all, but these children….”

“Sometimes, situations forces the children to grow up faster,” he nodded. Like me… “Because they have no one to depend on….”

“What’s with the solemn talk?” Mdm Park chuckled from behind.

They turned and smiled at the old lady. “Nah, Jihyo was just commenting about how this kids are so matured for their age.”

“Indeed, they are… very tough and independent from a young age…” she nodded as she glanced over at Gary. She guessed that he hadn’t told Jihyo that he was an orphan too, so she didn’t mention about it. After interacting with so many orphans, she tend to be a tad more sensitive.

“I do hope that they would grow up to be fine adults, and find someone who can give them the love they had been deprived of all this while…” she smiled at Jihyo as she spoke.

Gary and Jihyo nodded, neither of them getting the hint. What do you expect from Go-straight Gary and Mong Ji.

“So, who was the most well behaved child this month? It’s time for the treat again, isn’t it?” Gary smiled, lightening up the atmosphere a bit.

"Treat?" Jihyo was lost. 

"Gary comes about once or twice every month. Each month, he'll give the best behaved child a reward which we call a treat. This month's a trip to the theme park," Mdm Park explained. "We are glad to have such a dedicated volunteer like him," she smiled, nodding at Gary.

"Wow, you are such a philanthropist!" Jihyo said jokingly as she smacked Gary lightly on his arm. In fact, she admired Gary's generosity but she didn't tell him. Gary grinned shyly, scratching the back of his neck.

"I would say Hye Jin... Even though she's only here for about three weeks, she's well behaved and well liked by the teachers and her peers. And despite her tragic past and her young age, she doesn't throw tantrums or whine like other kids her age."

Gary nodded. "HyeJin it shall be, then. I think she would like going to the theme park, wouldn't she?"

The elderly lady smiled in agreement.

"I was thinking if you could bring YongHui... I know he hasn't been on his best behaviour, but he had a hard time recently..." Jihyo suggested.

"Ah," Gary looked at Mdm Park for instructions.

She shrugged. "It's your call."

"Well.... I guess I could... but I’m afraid I can’t handle two kids you know..." He scratched his neck.

"There's still me!" Jihyo pointed out excitedly.

"I never said you were invited," Gary countered jokingly, although he was elated that she wanted to come along. He didn't expect her to offer, since he already took him an entire Saturday. Besides, she might have a schedule the next day...

"Yah!" She smacked him playfully. She knew he was joking.

"Seems like it's four kids going in a trip to a theme park," Mdm Park laughed. "Anyway, you two should sleep soon. You guys can sleep in the staff lounge, if you don't mind."

"There's only one sofa bed there," Gary reminded her. "I'll sleep in the boys’ dormitory."

They walked Jihyo to the staff lounge first, before walking to the boys’ dorm. 


"It's the first time you've brought a friend here, what's more a girl huh," Mdm Park wouldn't stop pressing for information.
Gary blushed. "She's special."
"I know... I'm glad you found someone to give you the love that you missed out on all these years."
A sudden realisation hit him. "You were talking about me just now!" 
"You are still as dense as ever," she chuckled.
"Eyyyyy.."
"There, the dorm is round the corner. Still pretty much the same, isn't it?"
Gary nodded. Except for the repainted walls, and some new beds and other furniture, wasn't much renovation. There was clearly not much funds for the orphanages, especially since this is more secluded. Very little volunteers come here.

“It’s the almost the same, but it feels different….” Gary smiled wistfully. “I remember how I hated this place when I was younger. Now… it feels like home.” He said, running his fingers through the walls, remininscing his past here.

***

The four left for the theme park at 930am the next day.

Gary drove while Jihyo sat beside him. The two children were sitting behind. HyeJin was chattering about what she wanted to play and eat and ride. Her eyes sparkled with excitement, and she kept bobbing up and down in her seat. YongHui stayed silent and looked out of the window, watching the view pass by.

“You should calm down, HyeJinnie,” Jihyo chuckled.

“I’m so happy! I’ve never been to a theme park before!” she explained, bouncing up and down excitedly. “Have you been to the theme parks before?” she asked, no one in particular.

“Ah, of course,” Jihyo laughed. “We always went there for filming don’t we? Hahaha it wasn’t the best experience though. Hahaha!”

Gary just nodded his head.

“My parents used to bring us every year, during our birthday,” YongHui suddenly spoke up, still looking out of the window. “We used to pester them for roller coaster rides, but we weren’t tall enough then…. Now I’m taller, but none of them are here anymore.”

There was a period of awkward silence in the car. Jihyo looked at Gary, who shrugged his shoulders, both not knowing what to say.

Hye Jin reached out to him and held his hands. “That’s ok, we’re here with you now.” She smiled warmly, showing off her toothy grin.

Yong Hui nodded as a form of appreciation.

HyeJin resumed her incessant chatters afterwards.

By the time they reached the theme park, Yong Hui is also hyped up about their adventures. Grabbing their tickets tightly, the kids raced into the theme park, leaving the two adults behind, laughing.

They started off with playing booth games. Gary and Jihyo showed off their skills at games, many thanks to the ‘trainings’ received from running man. Games that involved aiming and throwing were easy to them. They earned themselves a lot of little gifts, such as key chains and tiny stuffed toys, which went into Gary’s backpack.

“I think we should stop winning already,” Gary groaned at the weight of his bag. By noon, they have accumulated several keychains, toy cars, water guns, bears, masks and the list goes on.

“Noooo!!” Hye Jin squealed, running to the next booth.

“You want to ride the rides, don’t you,” Jihyo laughed. “We’ll play the booth games again later,” she coaxed.

And so, they went to play the rides. First off was the mini-roller coaster that even HyeJin was able to ride. The turns weren’t too sharp and slopes weren’t too steep, so it was suitable for young children as well. Following which, they played bumper cars for several rounds, and then the Spinning Teapot for a gazillion times until Gary couldn’t take it any longer. Then, the kids went off to play the Giant Swing, and then another flying-something, which the adults couldn’t remember.

The day went by with the kids dictating where to go, and the adults chasing after them.

“This is as tiring as running man,” Jihyo sighed, but happily.

Gary was about to comment when Hye Jin came running towards them. “Haunted house!” she pointed out excitedly.

The couple looked at each other and made a face. “Can I give it a miss?” Jihyo whined. She was ok with rides and all, but haunted house? Nahh.

HyeJin ignored her and pulled her towards the queue, where Yonghui was already queuing up. She looked at Gary for help, but he just shrugged, laughing at her plight. He knew just how afraid she was of ghosts and zombies and monsters.

They went in with the kids leading the way, and Gary and Jihyo walking behind. Jihyo clung onto Gary all the while.

Just a while after they went in, a zombie jumped out of nowhere, causing Jihyo to scream in fright. Just when Gary was about to tease Jihyo for screaming when the kids didn’t even scream, Hyejin started to cry. She was too stunned to react at first. At first they were laughing at her, but she wouldn’t stop and kept insisting that they went out. Only then they realised that she was really scared.

“Hush, hush. It’s ok, it’s ok,” Jihyo carried her. “It’s not real, honey,” she continued to soothe her, rubbing her back.

“No, no, I want to go out!” Hye jin continued to sob.

Alas, Jihyo and Hyejin turned back halfway while Gary continued with the YongHui.

After they went out, they decided to grab some sweet treats to calm HyeJin down. So they got themselves her a candy floss and a hotdog for YongHui.

With the hotdog still in hand, YongHui caught sight of a majestic looking roller coaster. It was about 3-4m high, with sharp turns and an almost 360 degrees turn. YongHui’s height of 135 was just nice for the minimum height, but unfortunately HyeJin’s not.

He looked at Gary expectantly. Gary gulped inwardly.

“You don’t really want to ride that do you?” he asked, hoping for the best. “Hyejin won’t be able to ride it,” He pointed out, hoping to change the boy’s mind.

HyeJin, who was still her candy floss, seemed oblivious to Gary’s intention. “Kwenchana, Yong Hui oppa can ride it with you. Jihyo unnie can stay with me,” she reasoned out perfectly.

Dang. Gary mentally face-palmed himself. He looked at Jihyo for help, but the latter just laughed.

“Now the tables have turned,” she laughed.

Reluctantly, Gary was dragged up the roller coaster by YongHui, who passed his half-eaten hotdog to Jihyo.

Meanwhile, Jihyo took Hyejin to walk around for the guys to finish up. A cupcake-selling booth caught HyeJin’s eye.

“You want that?”

Hyejin nodded.

Jihyo bought one for her.

“Can I have a candle please?” Hyejin asked the shop keeper, which the latter willingly gave to her.  Jihyo looked at her questioningly.

“We could pretend that this is a birthday cake and that today’s is YongHui oppa’s birthday!” she explained, while the remnants of her candy floss.

Jihyo’s heart melted. “You’re such a sweet girl,” she whispered as she gave her a hug. Her eyes were glistening with tears. It amazed her that a young child her age could put others before herself, and think of ways to cheer others up. Not to mention all the unnecessary hardships she had to be put through...

By the time they walked back, Gary and Yonghui were already done. They still had time to play a game of shooting at a nearby booth.

Yonghui was holding onto a giant bunny. It was white and fluffy, with huge eyes. It had a wide smile and it was holding onto a carrot in its arms.

“Bunny!!!” HyeJin exclaimed, running towards the guys.

“Yonghui won it!” Gary explained. “He shot all the bad guys in the game there,” he pointed out.

“Whoa! Yonghui oppa jjinja daebak!” Hyejin praised, still caressing the bunny, unable to take her eyes off it.

“It’s for you…” Yonghui said shyly, holding it out to her.

“Ah, jjinja? But you won it!” She looked at the bunny longingly, but was too shy to take it.

He nodded firmly. “I wanted to win it for you since the start… I was sorry for… yesterday.” His face hung in shame.

“Well then, I accept your apology!” she squealed, grabbing the bunny. “Thank you, oppa!” She hugged him tightly.

And she gave him a peck on the cheeks.

YongHui blushed.

“Hyejin, don’t you have something for your oppa too?” Jihyo reminded her.

“Ahh! Yes!”

She took out the cupcake and stuck the candle on it.

“I know it’s not your birthday, and there’s no flame. But we can always make believe!”

Yonghui was stunned. He just stared at the cupcake, until it became blurry and he couldn’t see it anymore. He blinked to clear his vision and tears started to fall.

Gary patted his back in an attempt to comfort him. “Come, let’s sing a birthday song for our birthday boy, shall we?”

Yonghui smiled weakly.

And so they sang the song and each of them ate a bite of the cake.

After the ‘celebration’, it was time to go back.

As per just now, the kids lead the way, now holding hands and singing songs, and the adults trailed behind.

I feel like we’re a family, Jihyo thought, smiling at the kids and the man beside her.

Gary suddenly stopped in his tracks.

“Did you just think that we’re a family?” He grabbed Jihyo’s wrist, voice quivering from shock, surprise, happiness, whatever.

“That’s not what I meant!” she clarified immediately, blushing. “Wait, what? I didn’t even….” Wait he asked, ‘think’ not ‘said’…..

Jihyo…. Can you hear his? He thought in his mind, still looking at her and not breaking eye contact. His lips didn’t move.

“Oh. My. God.”

 

 

(an insanely long chapter holy cow. perks of being unemployed HAHAHAH)