Healers

The Stars

“Oppa!” Jihyo instinctively called out, chasing after Gary.

Let him cool down first. The captain ordered, making a gust of wind blow the door shut.

Jihyo turned around, mouth agape. She was shock at his sudden display of power. But she returned to her seat as told. Gary did need some time alone.

The old man nodded, satisfied. He rocked back and forth in his rocking chair. Don’t worry, he’s a strong lad.

Jihyo forced a small smile. She knew Gary was strong, but it still hurt her that she was the one that led to the death of her family. Tears were welling in her eyes, her head hung low.

It’s not your fault, he thought. Somehow, it comforted her more that it would verbally. That’s the power of telepathy. Feelings and ideas were conveyed; not purely words. She felt that he meant it, he didn’t just say in to make her feel better- he truly believed that it wasn’t her fault.

The old man looked at the lady in front of him, still shaken by the fact. With much effort, he hobbled over to the round little table and poured out a cup of tea.

“Ahhh, seonsaengnim!” Jihyo called out again, rushing over to hold him. He chuckled and passed her the cup. Relax a little, he thought.

Obediently, she took the cup in one hand, and held him back to his rocking chair with the other hand.

When she sat down in her own seat, the old man thought to her, There are things I should tell you.

That made Jihyo look up nervously.

Haven’t you wondered why it took you so long to have your Breakthrough even though you are so strong?

Jihyo furrowed her brows. Indeed, she never thought of that. Everything came as a shock to her, actually. She shrugged shyly.

Because I have been suppressing you. It means, I have been preventing you from having your breakthrough. It’s for your safety- for all our safety, I hope you understand. I don’t want to have the metals finding you when you’re still a child. You would be too defenceless against them. I wanted to delay your breakthrough as long as possible. The longer you stay normal, the safer we will be. Both you and the other stars. I hope you don’t think I’m too selfish…

She nodded, I understand you, seonsangnim.

The old man smiled.

But, as you can see, I’m old and weak now. He shook his head disapprovingly. And you are getting stronger. There’s a limit to how long I can suppress your powers… And, it’s about time you joined us, so at least you can be prepared.

Prepared?!

For the fight with the Metals.

I…. Jihyo widened her eyes in shock.

Sometime, they will get to you, now that you have had your breakthrough. Not now, it would take time for them to find out. But eventually they will. But, Jihyo-ssi, you must remember, he grabbed her hands tightly as he thought to her, what Gary’s father saw incomplete.

About a year ago, I had a flash forward. I saw that a lady will stop the enmity between the Metals and us. That lady is you.

Jihyo shook her head in disbelief. “Eottokkae…” she mumbled.

I didn’t see how you would do it, but you would. Seers cannot control what they see, or when they see it, but what they see is immutable. Our future lies in your hands, Jihyo-ssi, please be strong, he nodded.

She let out a sigh, giving a nod. If this was her destiny, she wouldn’t escape it.

Can I ask you a question then?

The old man smiled.

What is your element…? Just now you controlled the wind to close the door, so you’re Wood, but you said you saw the future, which means you’re a Seer, which is Earth. And you also said you suppressed my powers, which I think it’s similar to Gary oppa’s ability…

The old man nodded, smiling. This young lady was a quick learner, no doubt about that.

I was born an Earth- a teleporter. But at 20 years old, I was selected to be the Captain. And as a Captain, I needed to have the powers of more than one element, so someone had to give it to me. So now I have Earth, Wood and Fire. Captains are not given the water element, unless they are born Water, but we don’t have any Water Captain yet. First, because Water heals- be it Healers like you, or Apollos, who heal through music. And because of that, all Water can’t hurt anyone. It’s against their nature to hurt or harm people; if they do that… they get injured themselves.. But being a Captain, they are times we have to hurt someone….

Besides, The Giving is an arduous process, both for the givers and me. And many times… they don’t make it out alive. And it’s contradictory isn’t it, if I get the Healing power but while getting it I hurt my givers, and because of it, I injure myself?

Jihyo nodded, So, that means I can’t hurt anyone too, right?

That’s right.

Okay, thank you so much, seonsangnim. Jihyo stood up and bowed, preparing to go out to find Gary.

Wait. There are three things that a healer should know.

The most important one- which you already figured out- under no circumstances can a Healer physically hurt or harm anyone on purpose. They would hurt themselves in the process,

Two, a Healer can heal all kinds of physical injuries, but to different extents. It varies, depending on the condition of the Healer herself, and the injury itself. The more severe the injury, the more tiring it is to heal and to be healed.

Lastly, a Healer cannot heal when she is injured, only with one exception, but this only works for family members. It’s when she sacrifices herself, by letting her blood flow onto the person. This way, she not only heals the patient, but she also passes on the power to him. But eventually, she herself will die…

Thank you seonsangnim, I understand. Jihyo nodded hastily as she made her way out of the door to find Gary.