Escape

The Stars

The backseat guy made an excuse to leave early from the celebration. He went back to the hut to check up on their captives, bringing some food for them. He had never really agreed with capturing them to get back their own powers; if Jihyo were to heal them all, she would die of exhaustion. He felt sorry for them. Above all, he felt sorry for her.

 

Carefully, he opened the lock. It was 2am now, about 10 hours since their capture. He guessed that they would be awake now, trying to break out. To his surprise, he saw an explosion of colours surrounding the two of them, as the two of them snuggling close beside each other.

He watched in amazement as the colours enveloped them, each colour intertwining with each other, making a beautiful artwork.

 

He didn’t understand what he was witnessing, but he felt overwhelmed with emotions- joy, guilt, excitement, and love.

 

After a while, the colours subsided and everything seemed normal as before. He took a deep breath, blinking a few times, trying to comprehend what he just saw and felt.

 

Sometime later, Gary woke up first, groaning slightly in pain. There was still a dull ache in his abdomen, but not as painful as before. Jihyo was snuggled closely beside him. She had a wound on her wrist, but it seemed to be healed.

 

“Jihyo,” he called gently, shaking her shoulders.

 

“Mm,” she murmured weakly, slowly opening her eyes. “Oppa…” she called out softly.

 

Wait, I thought I’m supposed to be dead?!

 

“Is this a dream?” she asked, as she caressed Gary’s face.

 

Gary was confused. “No, Jihyo-ah, we got caught by the metals, remember? I was wounded but you must have healed me.”

 

“But…” she said, perplexed. Then, she caught sight of the man.

 

Gary followed her gaze and saw the man. He tried to stand up, but he was too weak and almost fell.

 

The masked man quickly supported him.

 

“Eat up,” he ordered. His tone wasn’t menacing. Gary thought he heard a tinge of kindness in his voice. Just a tinge.

They stared at the food, afraid to move.

“It’s not poisoned,” he said. “Eat up, so if there’s a chance, you can escape.”

Gary was surprised at what he said, but he knew better then to question him. Slowly, he started to eat the food.

Jihyo stared at her portion blankly. It all fell into pieces perfectly.

The tattoo she saw, his voice, his actions…

“Chang… Chang Joo oppa…” she whispered, her voice trembling.

Gary turned towards her in shock. “Huh?!”

Jihyo ignored him. She raised her hand to pull down his mask, but he swiftly moved away.

“You are Chang Joo oppa,” she affirmed.

“You’ve got the wrong person. Hurry, eat.”

“It’s you. I recognise your voice, oppa.”

 

The masked man was stunned. He didn’t know she would remember his voice. It had been long.

 

There was no point in hiding anymore. Slowly, he pulled down his mask. 

 

Gary’s mouth hung open and Jihyo stifled a gasp.

 

“Whoa…”Gary murmured, in shock.

“Did… did you get close to me… because...” Jihyo stared at Chang Joo, hurt. Even though they weren't meant to be, it still hurt to know that he became her boyfriend with a motive.

Chang Joo shook his head.

“No… trust me… I really didn’t know you were one of them. I didn’t know that you were the one all of us were searching for our whole life…”

Gary pulled Jihyo over protectively, in case he started to hurt her.

“If you are one of them… then why are you here?” he questioned warily.

He sighed. “Because I am guilty.”

“Do you remember that day you and Ha Dong Hoon-ssi were talking… after you gave Jihyo the tickets?” he asked Gary.

Gary nodded.

“I was there. And I heard you said you would never be able to be with her. At that time, I wondered if it was because you were afraid of status disparity… then you found Jihyo when she got lost while trekking… it roused even more suspicions… But all I felt at that time was jealously.

“But, after I broke up with her, I gathered more information about you. I found out that your father was the one who saw the Healer…and”

He took a breath. “And you were destined to find her. So we decided to keep our eyes on you.

“But you left Korea so suddenly and suddenly, all our leads were lost. Alas, after months of research, we finally found out that it was Jihyo…”

He looked at Jihyo, overwhelmed with guilt. “I really didn’t know it was you, Jihyo. When I found out, I wanted to join then, because I was still jealous… but… it was wrong. I was wrong…” he buried his face in his hands in shame.

“You and I were never meant to be… I… I was being selfish back then. Up till this point, we are still being selfish. We want you to heal us, knowing full well that it could cause you to die. None of us can understand what what’s not meant to be ours will never be ours!” he broke down, kneeling down in frustration.

“So, just go now. Go, before they realise I let you go!”

“Thank you, Chang Joo-ssi,” Gary said, pulling Jihyo to run away.

“Wait,” Jihyo stopped. “Even if we escape now, we won’t be able to escape forever,” she reasoned.

Gary stopped in his tracks. She was right… they were just lucky that Chang Joo let them go this time, but in future.

He turned to Jihyo. “So what do you plan to do?”

She shrugged. “The Captain told me before that I could stopped the enmity between Metals and the Stars... but he didn’t say how.”

 

Gary frowned, trying to think about what they can do. Then suddenly, he exclaimed. “Omo, Chang Joo-ssi! You have a golden energy line now!”

“Mwo?!”

Can you hear me? He thought excitedly

What the freak?!!!! Chang Joo replied.

“Omo!” Jihyo squealed excitedly.

“Did you heal me already?!” Chang Joo asked, surprised and shocked.

“No, but I understand now!”

 

Gary and Chang Joo turned to look at her, prompting her to explain.

 

“Remember when you brought me to the other Healers for lessons? They said each element had a different core, meaning a quality that is most important to them. For fires, it’s passion; for wood, it’s flexibility; for earth, it’s harmony and for water, it’s love. But for all the Stars, they might not know, but to them, the most important quality is actually love. That’s why as water, we are the healers, because we can only heal when we love.”

 

“So?” Chang Joo probed.

 

“I GET IT!” Gary exclaimed. He turned to Chang Joo. “Metals are also once part of the stars, meaning, your deepest core is love too. When you helped us, you’ve learnt to forget your anger and jealously and start to love. So you could have your breakthrough.”

 

“So, all we have to do is explain to the rest of the metals is that they need to let go of the hatred. And the greed for power,” Jihyo explained.

 

“Are you sure you can do that? These people are bearing the hatred of their ancestors for centuries…” Chang Joo said, worried.

 

She shrugged. We have to try.

 

 

 

 

Eventually, Chang Joo brought her and Gary to where the metals were, who were originally seething with wrath when they realised what he had done. But Jihyo started to explain to them. Chang Joo chipped in as well. Gary, as usual, was in charge of telling them who got their breakthrough.

 

In the end, most managed to let go of their hatred and got their breakthrough. It was so tiring to hate and be angry at the Stars, that they actually found it easy to let go. It was a relief to them, as if a huge rock lifted of their heart.

 

 

 

 

When their “work” was done, Gary and Jihyo left the place.

 

“Oppa…” she asked Gary.

“Huh?”

“Just now, you asked if I have healed you, right?”

“Eung.”

“But, did you know that I can’t heal at that time?”

“Huh?”

“I… I attacked the attacker, so my powers were paused.”

“But how come…”

Jihyo shook her head. “I don’t know.” She wondered if she should tell him she wanted to sacrifice herself for him. She didn’t want to make him feel guilty, but she wanted to know what happened too. In the end, she decided to tell him.

“I… I tried to sacrifice myself for you. Healers can’t heal… when they are injured, with only one exception. When… they let their blood flow onto the family member they want to save. But then.. the healer would die."

 

Gary was stunned. Was that why she made him marry her?! She tried to kill herself for him?!!

 

“Why are you so silly!” he exclaimed as he hugged her tightly, filled with guilt and gratitude.

“Oppa! That’s not the point. My point is, I should have died. But…”

Gary pondered for a while, before he finally remembered something.

 

His brother pulled him away from the attackers and told him to hide. When they thought his brother was dead, they left. He dashed out of the bushes and hugged him.

 

“Hyung! Hyung!” he screamed, shaking him.

“Gary-ah… be strong…”

“Hyung… no… no… no… Appa and eomma are dead. If you are gone… if you are gone too I’ll be all alone.”

“I’m so sleepy… sing me to sleep…”

“No, hyung, no,” little Gary cried, tears streaming down his cheeks.

His brother started singing, but he was wincing with pain at each word. His brother closed his eyes and continued humming. He hugged him tightly, his brother’s warm blood flowed over him, but he didn’t mind. He sobbed and sang along with him, until his brother’s breathing ceased.

 

His brother was a healer.

 

“I’m a healer too,” he finally understood.

Gomawo, hyung.

 

He pulled Jihyo tightly into an embrace.

 

(Sorry if this is too cliche)':  anyway,  does anyone realise the consequence of Gary being a healer too?!!! :D cskgdfjhjz)