Worth

The Stars

During a filming (a few months after the club ‘confession’), Gary couldn’t help noticing that Jihyo’s energy were an overwhelming pink. And bright yellow. It could only mean one thing- she was in love.

He pulled her aside during a break and whispered, “You are dating…?” It was more of a statement than a question really, but he wanted to hear it from her.

“Huh?” Jihyo blinked her eyes in shock. It wasn’t meant to be known, even her parents are kept in the dark. So far, she has done a good job with keeping the secret. But as much as she tries to hide it, the energy don’t lie. They can’t.

“I asked, are you dating?” He repeated, looking into her eyes.

Blushing, she nodded; she can never lie to him. She knew she didn’t have to anyway, Gary won’t tell.

“How did you know, oppa?”

He avoided her gaze. Like her, he couldn’t lie to her. “You…. Just look different…. Who?” He quickly asked another question before she found out.

“Baek Chang Joo oppa… He said our relationship should be kept secret so that it won’t affect my career….”

He nodded calmly, like it meant nothing, but the truth was, his heart was tearing apart. He was overwhelmed by emotions from opposite ends of the spectrum. Happiness, because she forgot about him, and disappointment, also because she forgot about him… He could never forget her as easily as she did, and he didn’t even know why.

They stayed in awkward silence for a brief moment.

“Mmm…” Gary thought of something to say. “Thanks for letting me know your secret Jihyo ah… And don’t worry, I won’t tell,” and he forced a smile.

Jihyo giggled. Of course he won’t.

**

A few filming sessions later…

“Jihyo-ahh,” Gary said softly as he tapped her on the shoulder to wake her up. She had fallen asleep on the dressing table in the make-up room.

“Hmmm….” She mumbled, rubbing her eyes as she woke up.

Gary smiled. “The rest have already went for lunch. Let’s go.”

“Ah, it’s lunch time already?” Her eyes lit up at the talk of lunch.  “No wonder I’m hungry!” She giggled. She walked in front while Gary lagged behind, his hands fumbling in his pockets, as if he was contemplating whether he should take something out.

Jihyo stopped in her steps and turned to look at Gary. She was about to ask him to hurry, but she saw him fumbling with something in his pockets. It was just a small action, and many people would have overlooked it. It wasn’t just the action itself, but his hesitation, his nervousness. It didn’t show on his face, but somehow, she noticed. She felt it.

“Wae? What’s in your pockets? Why are you so nervous?” she asked him.

“I…” he stammered.

“Yah! Did the rest send you to trick me?!”

“Aniya! Aniya!” his eyes widened in shock. “I just wanted to give you this!” He took out a pair of tickets for a concert. He overheard her talking on the phone about being upset for not getting the tickets on the previous filming. He pulled a lot of strings to get his hands on the tickets. He wanted to go with her, but obviously, he can’t because she had a boyfriend now.

“Omo! How did you know I wanted to go but I couldn’t get the tickets!” she exclaimed as she looked at the tickets admiringly. “Omo! It’s the best seats! Thank you Kang Gary!” she threw her arms around his neck as she jumped for joy. His heart skipped a beat. He wished he could stay like this forever. But he knew that to her, the hug was just to show pure happiness and gratitude.

He pulled her away from him. “Let’s go. The rest is waiting for us.”

“Hehe oh right!” she said, as she hooked her arms around Gary’s and half-skipped, half-walked to the restaurant. She could initiate skinship like it was nothing because she had gotten over him already. She only treated him as a brother, a close friend, like what he told her too. But for him, every skinship reminded him of how they were and will never be meant to be. He liked the skinship, but it hurts. It hurts because he had to let her go, it hurts because he could never hold her hands or hug her as her boyfriend, it hurts because he knew he wasn’t the reason behind her smiles….

“Oppa,” she called, interrupting his thoughts. “There are two tickets… the other one…” she trailed off. She knew that her boyfriend would want to go with her, and she did want him to too. But another part of her wished that Gary could go with her, plus, it would too greedy to take two tickets.

“It’s for Baek Chang Joo ssi…”

“Ah, jjinja?” she felt more disappointed than she had expected.

He tried to act nonchalant. “It’s only right, he’s your boyfriend.” But I’m only your Monday boyfriend, and I always will be. “Anyway, I’m not a fan of these stuffs. My friend gave the tickets to me but I wasn’t interested….” He lied, hoping that it would make her feel better.

“Oh I see.. Thank you then!” she smiled. “Oh the restaurant! Hello guys!” she greeted happily. And they started eating and talking as always. All except Gary, who was more quiet than usual. But the rest didn’t pay much attention; he was always quiet. He enjoyed listening to them talk, but sometimes when they got too noisy he would just zone out.

After lunch, HaHa pulled him aside.

“Hyung, is something bothering you?”

Gary looked surprised. He shook his head and avoided eye contact.

“You can’t lie hyung…” HaHa said in a bored tone, rolling his eyes. “Besides, I heard your conversation with Jihyo at the walkway.” He gave a sheepish smile.

“You heard?! So now another person knows that she’s attached?!”

“Well, make it 5 then...” Haha grinned.

, he told them. “How could you tell the rest?!” Gary asked, sounding pissed.

“We guessed it, okay?” He replied indignantly. “She looks so different, so radiant, always smiling dreamily. And she’s always calling someone whenever there’s a break. Who wouldn’t guess it!”

Gary sighed. He had nothing to say because HaHa was right. And he felt his heart become heavier. Maybe it hurts when others acknowledged her relationship because the acknowledgement affirmed it.

“She has already moved on, when are you going to?” HaHa asked, with a look of concern on his face.

“I….”

“Is she worth it?”

Gary looked at Haha blankly.

“I mean, is she worth all you time and effort? Your protection, your love, your concern. Everything. Is someone whom you’ll never get together with worth all these?”

Gary didn’t reply. HaHa sighed. “I’m saying this because I care, hyung. I know I have no right to question your decision, but think about it carefully.” He turned to walk away.

After a few steps, he looked back. “But whatever you choose, I support you,” he said as he gave Gary a nod, before walking away.

“Dong Hoon ah,” Gary called. “Whether she’s worth it or not, I can’t measure it. And I don’t have to, because I’m just doing what my heart tells me to.”

They both smiled at each other, despite knowing that neither of them would see the other's smile, but they smiled anyway. But neither of them noticed the suspiscious shadow lurking round the corner...