Back

The Stars

Gary pulled away from the hug first, shedding tears of joy.

“Wae, oppa?” Jihyo hasn’t figured out yet.

“My brother was a Healer too. When he died, his blood flowed onto me, because I was hugging him. But I didn’t know… I didn’t know that would make me a healer too!

“So, when you cut yourself and let your blood flow to me, it’s supposed to heal me right? But by doing so you could die!”

Jihyo nodded. Gary was speaking so fast because he was so excited and she could hardly understand.

“BUT, I was wounded at the same time too. So, as my blood flowed onto you, we were healing each other!”

“Whoaaaa, daebak,” Jihyo exclaimed.

“And you know what’s even better?”

Jihyo shrugged, shaking her head.

He hugged her again.

“We could be together now,” he whispered, voice quivering from excitement.

“Jjinja?!” she hugged him back, tearing up as well. It was like a miracle happening right before her eyes.

He rubbed her tears away, nodding confidently.

“You remember the reason why I had to leave you, right?”

Jihyo nodded. Of course she did. It was because his earth element was too strong, and him being a seeker would take away her energy…

“And at that time, we only considered two possible solutions. First, which was me taking away my own powers, and second, which was hoping that you had another element… but there was a third solution which we forgot to consider…”

“That is you having another element!” Jihyo exclaimed, smiling now.

He nodded excitedly. “Yes! If I am a Healer, I could neutralise my own power against you and I would hurt you anymore!”

“But oppa… I thought you said that captain told you that you were only my guardian angel and you’d have to leave me one day… and what seers see are immutable right?” Jihyo asked, still unable to believe the good news.

Gary smiled, squeezing her hand to affirm her. “What Seers see is indeed immutable… I did leave you, didn’t I? But… what Seers see might not be the complete truth. I don’t think Captain knew that my brother transferred his powers to me too… and neither did I. I guess because of that it remained a dormant power. But now we all know everything!”

“Oppa, I love you,” Jihyo suddenly said, hugging Gary tightly around his neck. He wrapped his arms around her waist and thought to her. I love you more.

 

 

 

 

Gary told Dylan everything, about their encounter with Metals and him realising that he was Healer, and told him that he planned to go back to Korea, now that he would no longer harm Jihyo. Dylan was of course supportive of his decision. His home was there, after all.

 

 

 

A couple of days later, before Jihyo and Gary went back to Kore, they went to Dylan’s house for a farewell dinner.

When they entered, the lights were switched off and the living room was dark, since it was night time. Then, some candles were lighted up, forming a pathway.

German shepherd came running along the ‘runway’ towards Jihyo, biting a flower in his mouth. Then, the collie did the same, followed by the lab, then the two cats, and even the bird flew to her giving her the flower.

Gary knelt down in front of her, giving her a bouquet of flowers and presenting a ring in his hand.

Gently holding up her hand, he asked, “Will you marry me?”

“Mwo?!” Jihyo was taken aback. She didn’t expect him to propose to her so suddenly.

Gary smiled shyly.

“I know it’s very sudden, and we haven’t even properly dated yet. But we don’t need to, because we both know we are the answer to each other. We’ve wasted too much time going round in circles… We’ve gone through so much before we can be finally together, Jihyo-ah. After all these obstacles, we both know for sure that we are fated for each other. So… will you spend the rest of your life as Mrs Kang?”

Jihyo nodded. Yes… she thought to him.

He stood up and pulled each other into a tight embrace.

 

 

 

They got back to Korea met up with the casts as soon as they could. The casts of course, got multiple shock at once. First, Jihyo’s recovery of her memories. Then, Gary’s decision to come back and finally, their decision to get married.

“Whoa… isn’t all these too sudden?” Kwang Soo exclaimed incredulously at the end of their shocking announcements.

“Keulae… Gary-ah, Jihyo-ah, you guys should think over this carefully… Marriage is not a joke, you know,” Jae Suk commented.

Suk Jin was eyeing Gary carefully. He was still suspicious of Gary’s sudden departure. Jihyo was like a daughter to her; he didn’t want to her to get hurt again.

You should explain to them why you left, oppa. I don’t think they trust you yet.

Arrasso. Ya… everyone here treats you like a princess… Gary winked at her, secretly so no one noticed.

Yah, oppa! She bit her lip shyly, so that she wouldn’t break out in a smile.

Arrasso, arrasso!

 

Gary sighed. “I left Korea, like I said in my announcement, because of personal reasons. I didn’t say it back then, so I still won’t reveal it now… all I can say is that I needed a break because I was so stressed up…

“I went to stay in Canada... I never intended to come back. But… but somehow, fate brought us together again, even though she forgot me, and even though she didn’t know I was in Canada. But we met. I helped her regain her memories… and she helped me sort out my thinking. And I realised how we complete each other… and even when we were on different continents, we were never really apart…

“I know I caused a lot of trouble for you all when I left so suddenly, and I can understand if you are upset with me… but…” he sighed.

He looked down on the table. He had never revealed it to them before, he didn’t know if they knew. “I don’t have a family here… you are my family… that’s why… your approval is so important to us… to me…”

He got teary talking about his family again. It was so hard for him to bring it up, because it would remind him of how they died.

Jihyo put her hands over his, showing that she was there for him.

The cast were thrown into yet another shock. Even after knowing each other for almost 4 years, he had never told them that he was an orphan. Sometimes, they did wonder how come he was so secretive about his parents, but it never occurred to them that he didn’t have any.

Finally, it was Jae Suk who spoke first.

“Gary-ah... When you left Korea so suddenly, it certainly caused a lot of trouble for us- I won’t deny it. But, I understand that everyone have their rights to have their own secrets. Even if you are uncomfortable with telling us, it’s fine. It doesn’t mean that we would disapprove of you two. We’re not blind, Gary-ah,” he smiled warmly. “We can see how much you love her. Even when you try to hide it, but we know. We know from how you always look out for her, how you always care for her, how your eyes always seem to find hers, how you smile when she call your name. We see all that, Gary ah. So… of course I approve. I’m only happy to see you two being able to get together. And if the rest doesn’t approve, I’ll make sure to persuade them till they agree!”

Jihyo gave Jae Suk a hug. “Gomawo, oppa!” She was glad that Jae Suk was so understanding. If Jae Suk agreed, others would most likely agree.

“Eyyyy hyung!” Kwang Soo gave Jae Suk a slight push on the shoulder. “Of course I’ll agree!”

Jong Kook nodded too. “Jae Suk said everything already. Just treat her well, and live happily ever after.”

Suk Jin smiled. “Keulae… now, welcome to the married man club!”

HaHa just gave a big, wide smile at Gary. There was no reason he wouldn’t approve. Even if all of them disagreed, he would still support him till the end. Gary smiled back at him.

 

 

 

 

 

When they all left, Gary pulled Jong Kook aside.

“Hyung… you are okay with….” Gary was hesitant to continue. What Jong Kook said when they met in the hospital still lingered in his mind. He felt sorry that Jong Kook had to step out for him.

Jong Kook smiled. He knew what Gary was referring to.

“Of course… you don’t have to feel sorry… I’m long over her. Now, I just love her as a sister, and you, my beloved brother. I said it then, so that you would reconsider your actions… I’m glad it all turned out well…” he smiled. “Besides, even if I had decided to compete with you, I would have lost unconditionally… I’ve noticed long ago that the way Jihyo looks at you and call your name… is different from how she does so with the rest. She loves you more than you think, Gary-ah.”

She was even willing to give up her life for me… how can I not know.

Gary gave Jong Kook a bear hug. “Gomawo, hyung.”