Over

The Stars

Eventually, Gary made it known to the public that he had left Korea for personal reasons with he was uncomfortable to divulge and that he wanted to take time off to enjoy a private life. He also mentioned that he would be continue doing music, but producing albums and concerts would be on hiatus for the moment. Sceptics rejected his reasons and continued to come up with ridiculous speculations, but the most of the public accepted his reasons- celebrities had a right to do what they want too.

He continued managing his restaurant from Canada, and continued to send gifts to his orphanage monthly (he told Mdm Park to keep his whereabouts a secret, which was lucky he did- because Jihyo did went to find her to ask about him). He decided not to sell his house and studio yet- as they held too much memories.

 

Jihyo tried to carry on living and working as usual, hoping to numb and distract herself from the pain from missing Gary. But of course, she failed. She missed him terribly, even when the Bond is no longer there. As agreed, they didn’t contact each other, but Jihyo often went up to his house to keep things tidy, and to reminisce about their times together. It didn’t reduce the pain much, but at least she felt his presence.

 

Running man continued on as well. Originally, the casts were reluctant to continue, partly because they felt that it wasn’t right without Gary, but more because they didn’t want to reopen Jihyo’s wound. They knew how much it meant to her and Gary. But SBS didn’t allow the termination of Running Man because it was generating a lot of income worldwide. They didn’t find a replacement for Gary, just as they didn’t for Joong Ki, because the PDs and the casts insisted that they were irreplaceable. Thus, running man continued with 6 members, after a hiatus of one month for the commotion to calm down.

At the start, Gary was a living wreck. He was either drinking or drunk most of the time –it couldn’t even be considered sleeping. But he wrote beautiful lyrics when he wasn’t wasted. He wasn’t entirely sober, but he still could write. Whatever he wanted to, but couldn’t say to her, he wrote as lyrics; feelings what he couldn’t describe with words, he wrote as music. Music became his solution, his panacea. He channelled all his heartbreak, nostalgia, grief, all his emotions into his works, and it tugged on the heartstrings of those who heard it.  

 

 

 

As time passed, the both of them got better at managing their emotions. It wasn’t that they no longer missed each other, but maybe, they just got used to the pain.

The casts were now more sensitive towards her. Now that Gary was gone, they were more protective towards her. Previously, when female idols came as guests, they would tease and neglect her, but they no longer did so. She was still the well-loved ace, but now she was quieter and no longer as cheerful, although she tried. She tried her best to smile more and be more cheerful and active, because of them.

Jihyo gradually opened up again, with the help of her family and the other members, especially Kwang Soo, Jong Kook and Jae Suk. They often asked her out for meals or just a get-together, and took care of her like Gary did. Sometimes, they would just call and check up on her. She was really thankful of the second family she had found, and this made her happier.

There were still sadness in her eyes, and tears behind her smiles, but either no one noticed or no one mentioned. Maybe they were glad that she was starting to let go. She could eat and sleep like a normal person now; she didn’t cry herself to sleep as often anymore.

 

 

 

While Jihyo had running man members to support her, Gary had Dylan and his family. Dylan and his wife were both working with animals (since they both had wood). Dylan was a dog trainer and his wife was a vet. They were also dedicated puppy raisers.

When Gary first arrived, they were raising three puppies. But about a month into his arrival, they discovered that Dylan’s wife was pregnant. Dylan asked Gary to help him raise one puppy because three was too much for his family. Of course Gary agreed, even though he had no clue about raising a puppy.

He close the pup he liked the most- the Labrador retriever which comforted him on the day of his arrival. He named it Daeyang (Ocean); He said that Jihyo loved the ocean.

Daeyang and Gary got close very quicly, and he joked that because he was also ‘gae’ (dog). It was as if it knew that Gary was upset, so it always stayed near him and gave him a of love when Gary thought of Jihyo. Sometimes, when he missed her so much and couldn’t help but cry, Daeyang would away his tears. With so much time on his hands, he often brought Daeyang around to explore Canada, much to the pup’s pleasure, of course. His adventures added to his inspirations for songs and he wrote more lyrics. It was like a win-win for them both.

 

It seems like things could better from here, but it wasn’t.

 

(dry chpt, but next one coming up soon!!!)

edit/ i forgot to mention, puppy raisers are like people who raise guide dogs (yknow, those for the blind...). they don't raise the pups for the entire life. by the time the pup reaches 14 months or something, they have to send them back to the training centre to begin training. its a meaningful 'job' (inverted commas bc you dont get paid), and perfect for those who cannot commit to the pup for its entire life...