Metals

The Stars

Jihyo looked at Gary in confusion. What are you saying?!

“Can’t you see! You’ve healed my hand! It’s not red anymore!” he waved his hands up excitedly. Jihyo took a close look at his hand. Indeed, it was all recovered. “But… I don’t know how I did it… And you said Healers will only show their ability in 2-3 weeks…”

Gary nodded. I know. “Maybe it’s because you are really powerful… I’ve heard about Stars whose powers develop earlier than expected, and usually they are really powerful.”

Jihyo still had the blank look on her face.

Gary smiled at how worried and shocked she looked. “Don’t worry so much, Jihyo-ah,” he said as he caressed her cheeks. “We’ll go and ask Captain ok? He’s the leader of the Stars, maybe he’ll have some answers.”

She nodded her head slowly, still quite shocked at her own powers.

“Come, let’s go home first,” he pulled her hand lightly.

***

When they reached home, Gary instructed Jihyo to sit on the sofa, beside him.

“I’m going to bring you to a place where all the Stars go, ok? It’s like we’re teleporting, but only we do it in our heads...”

Jihyo blinked. “Huh?”

“Just close your eyes. From now we can only communicate through telepathy ok?”

Jihyo-ah, try to imagine you are letting yourself fall in an abyss. Its dark and you cant see anything, and you are falling fast. But you aren’t afraid, because you know it’s the way to travel to a place that you’ll know as home.

Jihyo did as she was told. She didn’t know what was going on. She was a little nervous, and yet also excited about learning more about her powers. In her mind, she was in a dark place now, but somehow she wasn’t falling like what Gary told her to. She fidgeted a bit.

Gary felt that she was feeling apprehensive and reached out for her hand, giving it a squeeze.

She squeezed it back.

Are you really holding my hand or is it just in my mind?

Both, he chuckled. Follow me.

She felt him tug her hand, even when she couldn’t see anything because it was too dark. Together, they fell through space and time into another dimension. There was some light radiating from a small hole and Jihyo’s vision soon became slightly clearer. She could now see the outline of Gary’s body.

Gary led her towards the hole. She realised that it was in fact like a peek hole on a wooden door. Gary pushed it open.

Bright light filled their eyes. Out of reflex, Jihyo shielded her eyes immediately. She blinked once or twice to let her eyes get used to the brightness.

Whoaaaa, she exclaimed.

She was in a forest-like place, surrounded by majestic looking trees, flora and fauna. The butterflies were flying from one flower to another, and birds were chirping happily in the trees. She caught a glimpse of some rabbits hopping in and out of bushes. She heard the crashes of a waterfall in the distance, but she couldn’t see it yet.

Welcome to my homeland, Gary grinned, exuding overwhelming pride.

It’s beautiful, she gasped.

Gary nodded. He led her further down and walked along a path. It wasn’t exactly a road, but more of a pathway made by many people who walked on the grass repeatedly.

They walked beside each other with Jihyo pointing out to the animals excitedly like a small child, and Gary just nodding, smiling at how adorable she looked.

Did you see the deer? Gary finally said.

Where! Jihyo turned her head to his direction of sight.

Gary turned his head so they were now facing each other. He smiled as he flicked his fingers on the forehead. You are a dear to me, he chuckled.

Ya! She smacked him lightly, but was smiling from his antics.

The pathway led to a group of little, wooden huts. There was one in the middle that was slightly segregated from the rest. There was a kind of superior aura around it. They walked towards that house and Gary knocked on the door.

Captain? It's Gary....

Come in.

Gary pushed open the door. There was an elderly man, sitting on a rocking chair, his back facing the door.

You are finally here, he nodded.

Gary and Jihyo went in front on the chair and bowed.

The man’s face was filled with wrinkles. His eyes were still closed as they greeted him. He wore a heavy expression, deep in thought, as though he was burdened by too many things.

How are we going to talk to him when he isn’t a Korean? Jihyo looked at Gary questioningly.

We don’t use words to talk, remember? He smiled.

Sir, we have some questions to ask you.

The man slowly opened his eyes and looked up. He smiled as he saw Jihyo, but it wasn’t a happy smile. A weary, tired kind. You are finally here…

Gary and Jihyo both looked confused.

Please, take a seat. The elderly man gestured to the small stools at the corner of the room. Gary brought it closer to the man, and the two of them sat down.

You are a Healer, aren’t you? He nodded at Jihyo. Jihyo was so surprised that he knew before they even said anything, and she didn’t know how to respond. She just looked at him, wide-eyed.

Don’t be so surprised that I know… It’s time you know what I know too…. He nodded.

You are a very strong healer, Jihyo-ssi. That’s why you can use your power within a few days of your Breakthrough. But, you are so strong that this puts you in danger….

He turned to look at Gary. Do you remember that there was five elements in the past?

Gary nodded. But Metals disappeared hundreds of years ago, before I was born….

The elderly man sighed. They did, didn’t they? But it was because we Broke them….

About 600 years ago, when we first separated into the 5 elements, we were all equal. Each Element had their own special set of powers and we’re all fine with it. It was until about 500 years ago, when Metals decided that they should be the leaders, because they were the most powerful. Their powers were stronger and more dangerous than any of the other Elements. They possessed telekinesis and this made them extremely good fighters. The Fires were already good enough by being able to control the wind, fire and water. But all these were part of nature- they had minds of their own. In fact, the Fires don’t actually control them, but they coax them into listening. But Metals don’t have to. They have absolute control over inanimate objects- guns, daggers, swords… anything could become their weapon. And so, our ancestors were threatened to let Metals be their leaders.

However, they got greedy and yearned for more control. Eventually, about 200 years ago, the other 4 elements got together to Break the Metals. So they were no longer telepathic and had no more powers. That’s how they disappeared. Since then, they were always trying to get back their powers but to no avail. But, about 25 years ago…. He paused, looking at Gary. Gary was listening so intensely that he didn’t notice.

About 25 years ago, a Seer saw that there would be a Healer girl, whose powers are strong enough to heal the Metals.

He looked at the couple in front of them.

It was your father, Gary-ah. He saw Jihyo in his vision. He told me and we tried to keep it a secret… but… eventually the Metals found out…

Gary felt choked. His chest tightened. Suddenly, memories of what happened that day came flooding back.

He was 6 and his brother was 14, but the 8 years didn’t stop them from being so close to each other. That day, his family were trekking and planned to have a picnic at the peak. They trekked halfway and suddenly about 5 masked people appeared. They grabbed onto each of them and two held his father. They asked him something, which Gary couldn’t remember then, but now he did.

“Where’s the girl?!” the masked man ordered.

“I’ll never tell you, not over my dead body,” he spat.

His father resisted but they killed him. They moved on to his mother. He wanted to save her, but he was so young and powerless. His brother broke free and grabbed his arm and pulled him to run away.

The masked men caught up and attacked them. His brother told him to hide while he tried to fight them off. Little Gary cowered behind the bushes, trembling as he watched them slide the daggers across his arms and face and legs and everywhere else.

Gary closed his eyes and forced himself to stop thinking. Tears flooded his eyes. He was shaking.

 I need some time alone. And he ran out of the door.

(i know this isnt a long update, but spare my soul. i had a hectic week with overtime everyday and squeezing time in the middle of the nights o submit applications for uni and scholarships): next week will be better!)