Sorry

The Stars

Jihyo woke up in the mid-afternoon. She was so tired from looking after Gary, and she never had a proper sleep until Gary assured her that he had recovered.  

“Oppa?” she called out, rubbing her eyes sleepily. There was no response, so she searched the entire house for him, but to no avail.

Oppa? She tried to talk to him through telepathy, but there was still no response.

She felt a strange feeling in her heart, like it was missing something. Previously, whenever she was away from Gary, she could feel a tugging feeling that will lead her to him, an inexplicable connection between them. Ever since the day they kissed, she had always felt it whenever they weren’t together physically. And even when they were far apart, for example when she was in New York, she could still feel it. She knew it was also how she found him when he hid in the Oasis. But now, she can’t feel it anymore. Gary never told her that it was the Bond, but she knew that it was something special that connects them.

Suddenly, she felt like there were alarm bells ringing in her head, alerting her that something was went really wrong.

With her heart pounding against her ribcage furiously, she took her phone to dial his number.

He didn’t answer.

She tried for a few more times before giving up. Just then, Jae Suk was calling her.

She picked up immediately.

“Jihyo ah! What have you been doing all morning! Have you checked your Whatsapp? Why did you reply” he rambled on and on. He sounded nervous, and maybe even annoyed. It wasn’t the usual happy-chatter that Jihyo used to hear on the phone.

“No… I just woke up… what happened?”

“Gary is gone. HaHa said he received a letter saying that he will be going away and he even left money as compensation for breaking the (running man) contract. We are meeting up at HaHa’s restaurant now. Did he tell you what’s happening?”

Gary is gone. She only heard this three words. It repeated over and over again in her head. Gary is gone. She felt a surge of emotions rising up her body. Anger. Fear. Hopelessness. Loss. She just held the phone by her ear with her trembling hands and started sobbing.

There was a period of silence. Jae Suk knew that she needed time to process, to calm down.

“Jihyo?”

“Huh?” she said, trying to control her sobs.

 “We’ll come over to pick you up, ok? Then we’ll see what we can do from there.”

She nodded but didn’t reply him. Jae Suk knew that she was still crying, but she was trying to hide it from them. His heart ached for her.

***

The running man members gathered at HaHa’s restaurant that evening. They closed the restaurant early so they won’t be interrupted. The atmosphere was solemn and nobody knew what to say first.

It was Jong Kook who broke the silence.

“HaHa, tell us what you know.”

“I… I don’t know anything. I just woke up this morning and I saw the envelope under my door.”

He took out the note.

“Everyone,

The cheque is the compensation for leaving running man. Sorry, I have to leave for personal matters. I’m really sorry. Do take care of yourselves and stay healthy. Fighting.”

“Why do you all think he left?”

“How could he just leave without any explanation?”

“That’s so irresponsible of him.”

“I don’t think he would be this irresponsible, maybe something really important cropped up?”

“But it doesn’t mean he has to leave forever!”

They all started out to pour out their opinions, except HaHa and Jihyo.

“He was really sick the previous days right? His manager said so.” Jong Kook returned from his phone call. “Do you think…”

“You think he left because he was terminally ill? Wha… this is totally like a drama…” Kwang Soo exclaimed.

That statement jolted Jihyo out from her daze.

Could it be? She thought to herself. Her face paled and she trembled with shock and fear. Everything seemed to fall into place. Was that why he was so ill for 5 days? So terribly ill and yet still refused the doctor? Was that why Dylan flew over just to see him? Was that why he told he not be bring him to the hospital? It wouldn’t help… that was what he told her. Maybe it was because he didn’t want her to know?

Was it why she couldn’t feel the bond anymore? Because he is about to die?

She felt her entire body went limp and she collapsed on Jong Kook, who was sitting beside her. She buried her face into Jong Kook’s arm and kept crying. She was sobbing so pitifully that it ached everyone that heard her.

“Jihyo! What’s wrong!”

“I…I…feel so silly. I’m a total fool. How could I have not realised. He was so sick. So terribly sick for the past few days but he didn’t want to go to the doctor. Why did I not sense anything wrong?” she said, still sobbing uncontrollably. Her eyes were red from crying and her tears soaked through Jong Kook’s long sleeves.

 “It’s not your fault…” he comforted her as he patted her back, pulling her closer.

HaHa was completely engulfed in guilt. Should he tell her that Gary’s safe and sound? Or would it be better for her to think that he’s dead?

He went up to sit beside her and held her up by her shoulders. Her entire body was limp from the crying and lack of will.

“Look,” he said softly and calmly. “This is all our speculations, ok. Nothing’s your fault. We just have to wait and see if he’s going to contact us, ok? Maybe he really had something important to do? Just… don’t give up yet ok?”

Jihyo made no response, her eyes swollen and cheeks red from all the crying.

HaHa tried again. “I know hyung for almost 20 years already. I know he wouldn’t keep it from me if he’s really ill, ok? I’m sure he will tell me everything when he’s ready. When the time comes, I’ll tell you ok? Don’t cry anymore, ok?”

Jihyo made a small nod. HaHa smiled in relief.

 

***

For some reasons, what HaHa said to Jihyo kept replaying in her mind. I know hyung for almost 20 years already.

Then she remembered Dylan. She knew that whatever HaHa didn’t know, Gary would definitely tell Dylan. They knew each other since forever, as Gary always said.

She called Dylan that night.

“Hello, Dylan?”

Dylan was already prepared for her call. Gary guessed that she would call him, so he already informed him what to say.

“Hey, Jihyo, what’s up?”

“Do you know where Gary is?”

“Ah, he’s not in Korea?”

“I don’t know… he just… went away. I’m so worried. I think he isn’t planning on coming back anymore and… and I don’t even know why. I can’t even contact him telepathically anymore.” Jihyo was dejected, she started to cry again. If even Dylan didn’t know… then she has no clue left.

Dylan stole a glance at Gary who avoided his gaze. He sighed. “I’ll inform you if I have any news about him. Meanwhile… stay strong.”

“Ok, thank you…”

She buried her face into her pillow and cried herself to sleep.

(gah, a pretty dry chapter)’: but it has to be written… I’ll write another one tomorrow, maybe. Gah, this story gna end soon… wna guess how many chapter before everything is solved HAHAH)