Lullaby

The Stars

The both of them stood in the middle of the carpark. Jihyo was just in shock of everything, while Gary was stunned by the revelation. After a few seconds, Gary recovered from his ‘shock’.

“Let’s go back, Jihyo arh,” he said gently as he tugged her hands. Jihyo didn’t protest and let him pull her along.

Back at Jihyo’s house, Gary sat her down on the sofa and he sat beside her. She sobbed softly. Without any more inhibitions, Gary could freely show his affection to her. He pulled her into his embrace to comfort her but it made her cry more.

“It’s ok, it’s ok…” he said as he patted her back. He didn’t know what was ok. Chang Joo breaking up with her? Her crying? He felt like hell, for causing her so much pain; for not realising it earlier. What kind of useless Seeker am I? He scolded himself. But it wasn’t entirely his fault, because Jihyo never showed any golden line, which was strange because most Stars would have their breakthrough by adolescence (Only after the breakthrough then the golden line will show, remember? But sometimes the gold line will appear for a brief moment for pre-breakthrough stars, who were usually teenagers/ kids). He had his when he was very young, maybe 6? He can’t remember. Maybe it was because his family were all Stars.

“I loved him, oppa, I really did… I’m going to… I’m going to miss him.”

Gary felt his heart wrench. What could be worse than hearing the woman you love tell you that she loved another man?

He remained silent, but continued hugging her. After a while, her sobs slowed to a stop. She let go of him and pulled away from him. She saw her tear stains on his shirt.

“I’m sorry…” she said without looking up, embarrassed. Gary just smiled and shrugged.

“Should we eat?” Gary asked. Jihyo stared at him blankly. Immediately, he wanted to face palm himself. He was hungry; he had went out to buy dinner in the first place. And he desperately needed to change the topic, and dinner seemed like a pretty convenient way. But obviously she wasn’t in the mood to eat. After all, she had cooked the meal for her boyfriend, or ex-boyfriend for that matter.

“I… I meant, uhm…. We shouldn’t waste the food right?” he stuttered, gesturing at the table of food.

Jihyo smiled weakly. In fact, she was hungry too, but she just didn’t feel like eating. She nodded.

“You should wash up while I heat up the food, I guess?” Gary suggested. Jihyo’s eyes were swollen from crying and her face was tear-stained. She nodded again.

In a few moments, they were eating their dinner. They ate in silence. Gary knew that Jihyo wasn’t in the mood to talk, and Jihyo just appreciating Gary’s presence.

“Oppa…” Jihyo suddenly looked up from her meal. “I…. I’m sorry for what I said just now, about you causing all this….” She trailed off.

Gary his lips nervously. He didn’t know how to reply. He wanted to say, ‘I know you didn’t mean it’ but he knew she meant what she said. He was indeed the cause of all her troubles. But all these will change. He will try to initiate her breakthrough, and they could be together.

“It’s okay,” he smiled. “These will change…”

Jihyo furrowed her brows. What does that mean? she thought, but didn’t say out.

They finished their dinner and soon it was time for Gary to leave. Jihyo sent him to the door.

“Thank you oppa…. For staying with me.”

He didn’t want to leave. He wanted to be with her and comfort her. He knew she wouldn’t be able to sleep.

“I could stay for longer, if you don’t mind,” he blurted out. Jihyo widened her eyes, taken aback by his sudden display of overwhelming affection. In the past, while he was romantic and cheesy on screen, he was cordial to her off screen. Sure, he was nice and looked after her, but only as much as a brother would to a sister. But now….

Gary bit his lips nervously, waiting for her response.

He knew it would to too fast to tell her that he loved her and they should date and stuff, because she had just broken up. He didn’t want her to feel that he was doing all these because he pitied her.

Jihyo stood there blankly, not knowing how to respond.

In essence, both of them were radiating awkwardness.

Finally, Gary spoke. “I mean, I thought that you might not be able to sleep after everything that had happened… so I thought…. Uhm… maybe staying with you would make you feel better? I mean, uhm…” he struggled to find the correct words. When he used telepathy, this weren’t a problem, because words weren’t used and ideas were conveyed as a whole. But with spoken words….

“I.. uhm.. don’t mind..” Jihyo smiled awkwardly. He was right, she would have a hard time sleeping. She didn’t mind him staying with her, even if they didn’t talk. At least, someone was there with her. At least, she won't be alone. Anyway, there is nothing wrong with brothers comforting their sisters after their breakup, right?

And so, they went back into her house. Neither of them knew what to say, so they just sat in silence with the television switched on. But neither of them was really paying attention to it…

It was nearly 1am and they were both tired. Jihyo stifled a yawn. She closed her eyes and tried to sleep, but scenes of Chang Joo’s aggression and the breakup kept repeating in her head.

She felt tears welling in her eyes again.

Gary could see her energy overwhelmed by grey, for sadness and midnight blue, for fear.

“Do you want to hear a lullaby?” he asked, shyly.

“Huh?” Jihyo wasn’t really sure of what he just said. Did he really asked her if she want to listen to a lullaby?

“You can’t sleep right? Lullabies can help…” he said, scratching his neck out of nervousness, hoping that she wouldn’t find him childish.

She nodded. He started humming a slow, soothing tune.

Darling, darling it’s time for bed,

I can’t sleep when you’re awake.

Lull you and sing you to sleep,

Tomorrow will be a better day.

Sweetheart, sweetheart, I’ll love you always,

Grow up healthy, grow up happy

I’ll do everything to protect you

Seeing your smiles melt my fatigue away

Don’t be afraid, please be brave

Remember I’ll love you always….

                          

“It’s a nice song…” she mumbled.

“My mom used to sing it to me….” he smiled wistfully.

“Mmmmm….” She mumbled again and she started singing it to herself. She found it heart-warming and sweet, and an inexplicable familiarity with it.

 

***

Eventually, both of them fell asleep on different ends of the couch, with the tune of the lullaby still playing in their minds.