Happy pills (part 2)

The Stars

The two of them finally got the children to play some games in the field, or rather, yard. In hushed tones, they talked about YongHui.

Gary told Jihyo that YongJie and YongHui were brothers. About one year ago, their parents divorced and neither of them wanted the custody of the children. They had stayed with their mom, dad, aunt, uncle, grandparents…. Eventually, Yongjie was tired of getting tossed around like a ball and sought help from social workers. They got posted to this orphanage.

Back when the divorced happened, YongHui was only six and YongJie, eight. Even though YongJie was only 2 years older, he took good care of his brother, always protecting him and comforting him. When they first entered the orphanage, he refused to talk to anyone, even YongJie. He refused to eat at dinner times with the other children. Some laughed at him, the others feared him, because he was so hostile. He only ate when YongJie brought him snacks late at night. After months of coaxing, he gradually opened up and started to talk.

But as life would have it, his brother was adopted a week ago. YongJie was an intelligent boy, matured and respectful. It was no surprise that he was well-liked by couples looking for a child. As much as he protested, he was eventually adopted by a pair of couple in their forties.

He promised YongHui that they would meet again, he promised him that he’ll write to him often, and that he will never forget him. He promised him that he’ll always be there for him, even when they’re apart, but that didn’t stop YongHui from hating him and going back to his withdrawn self.

At the end of the ‘story’, Jihyo found that her eyes were watery. “He’s so young and yet, he has to go through so much….”

Gary nodded, saying nothing.

They decided to look for YongHui by the pond.

To their surprise, or shock, there was another girl there. Gary recognised the girl- her name was HyeJin. She was six. She came in less than a month ago when her single- mother died in an accident.  They seemed to be in some argument.

“Stop plucking the grass!” she grabbed his hand firmly.

YongHui rolled his eyes and continued to do so.

“Please, stop it,” she whispered. “Plants have feelings too.”

“So?”

“Their friends and family will be sad if you pluck them away,” she said. After a pause, she continued, “I was very sad when God took my mom away. So please don’t…”

YongHui stopped. Calmly, he said, “People eventually leave. My parents left, now even my brother left me. This is life. We have to deal with it, so do the stupid plants.”

The calm before the storm.

And he continued plucking.

“Your brother didn’t leave…. He said he’ll always be here for you… I heard him. That’s not leaving…”

That day of the departure was crazy. He winced at the memory.

Yong Jie was supposed to leave at 8, but Yong Hui refused to get out to say good bye. He waited for him until nearly 10. Finally, his new parents decided not to wait anymore.

Tearing up, YongJie stood up to go. But before he left the place, he went to the dormitory and shouted, “I’ll miss you and I promise I’ll still be there for you even when we’re not together.”

He hugged the other kids who came to say farewell, Hye Jin included. Then finally, the new family left the gate. It was then Yong Hui came running down. He ran and ran until they were in front of each other.

“Don’t go,” he said, panting from running and crying at the same time. “Don’t leave me alone, if not I will hate you forever.”

YongJie didn’t say anything but pulled him into a hug.

Neither of them stopped crying when the adults pulled them apart.

Reluctantly, YongJie left.

“I hate you! I hate you! I hate you for leaving me behind!” Yong Hui screamed as he collapsed on the floor.

“How can he be here with me when he’s away now?” Yong Jie snarled. “He left me for a better life.”

Hye Jin kept quiet.

“Your mom left you too.

“Don’t tell me you don’t miss her. But she’s not here anymore. You have no one to rely on anymore.

“You’re alone now. Like all of us here. We’re alone. We’re unwanted children.”

With that, he broke down in tears and ran away.

Hye Jin was sobbing, too. She missed her mom and he just had to open her wound.

Jihyo ran up to her and knelt down to her height. Jihyo hugged her and patted her back. Gary signalled to her that he will look for YongHui. She nodded.

“I.. I… miss my eomma,” she sobbed. “A lot a lot…”

Jihyo rubbed her back to soothe her but her sobs became faster.

“It’s okay honey, it’s okay…”

“Why must people leave….” She asked, still sobbing.

Chang Joo came into her mind. She felt constrict and tears started forming. She didn’t know if it was because she felt sorry for the little girl, or because she felt reminded of Chang Joo.

“I don’t know honey…. I don’t know…. maybe it’s because they weren’t meant to be…?” She felt that her answer is more relatable to her and Chang Joo, rather than Hye Jin and her mom, but she didn’t know what else to say.

HyeJin didn’t reply. She didn’t even know what Jihyo meant. She’s just a six-year-old.

After several minutes of sobbing, she finally asked, “What’s ‘meant to be’?” Oh kids.

“Uhm… it means ‘not supposed to be together’?” Jihyo didn’t have a better explanation.

“Huh? I’m not supposed to be with my mom?” Hye Jin was genuinely confused.

Jihyo smiled awkwardly. “Aniya, I didn’t mean that…”

Hye Jin had already stopped sobbing. She now sat on Jihyo’s lap, while the latter sat cross-legged on the grass. When she saw Jihyo’s smile, she smiled too, albeit a small one.

“Your smile is pretty,” she said. Jihyo blushed.

“Yours too,” she chuckled, twirling her hair. Hye Jin laid against her chest.

“My mom used to do that too…” she said wistfully, referring to Jihyo’s action of hair-twirling.

“Ahh…” Jihyo stopped, putting her hands down awkwardly.

“Don’t..” Hye Jin grabbed her hands and put it back up. “I like it…” she said in a soft voice, almost like a plea. “I missed it…”

So, she continued playing with her hair.

“Did anyone leave you before?” Hye Jin asked suddenly, not aware that it would hurt her.

“Mmmm…” she nodded slowly, blinking her tears away

“Do you miss her?”

“Mmm”

“I miss my eomma too…”

“Are you afraid to forget her?” Hye Jin asked, unaware that Jihyo was refering to a male. 

Jihyo pondered for a while, before replying a firm ‘No’. In fact, I want to forget him.

“But I’m worried that I will forget my mom….” Hye Jin replied, sounding downcast.

Jihyo held HyeJin’s face, turning it gently so they faced each other.

“Honey, you won’t ever forget your mom, you know? Because she has never left you. She’s always here,” she said, pointing to her heart.

“One day, you’re going to forget how she looked, or how her voice sounded like, or what were her favourite food…. But, you won’t forget how much she cared for you, how much she loved and protected you, and that’s all that matters, ok, sweetie?”

“But I still miss her..” The little girl sighed. After some silence, she spoke again. “Will the person who left you be in here too?” she pointed to Jihyo’s heart.

Jihyo smiled a sad smile, shaking her head lightly. “We’re different….”

“Is it because you and that person weren’t meant to be?”

Jihyo chuckled, amazed at how quickly the girl picked things up. “I guess so…”

“That’s okay, I think one day you will find someone to stay here forever.”

 

 

Meanwhile, Gary found YongHui deeper into the woods. He was kneeling on the floor, crying.

He didn’t know what to say, so he just hugged the boy.

“I miss YongJie hyung so much…”

“I know… I know…”

“No you don’t, you’ve never had a brother! Who cared for you and loved you when no one else did.”

Gary sighed. “I had a brother, kiddo. But he died when I was a kid. Together with my parents.”

YongHui’s eyes widened in shocked. He was still sobbing, but the fact shocked him. “I… I’m sorry….”

“Aniya… it’s okay…” Gary shook his head lightly. “I just want you to know that I understand how you feel…

“It’s ok to cry in front of the others, it’s ok to confess that you miss him… it’s only natural, isn’t it?

“But one day, eventually, the pain would subside. You would still miss him, because he is your brother, but it won’t hurt as much anymore…

“But the difference between you and I is that, you are luckier. Because your brother is still alive. You guys can still talk and keep in contact… and eventually, when you grow up, you guys can meet again…”

“I’m just worried that he’ll forget me, with his new family and all…” Yong Jie finally confessed. “I’m not angry that he left me alone, actually. It’s better for him; I know what kind of future us orphans have. The orphanage don’t have enough funds to provide us with good education and send us to good schools. If we’re lucky, we can get scholarships and go to universities. Otherwise....

“He’s very lucky, and I’m happy for him. But I can’t bear the thought of him forgetting me….I know I would never ever ever forget him.”

Gary smiled. “He wouldn’t. Because you two are always together, in here.” He gestured to the boy’s heart.

“Really?”

Gary nodded. “Definitely. I still remember my brother, don’t I? I forgot how he looked, I forgot how he was like, but I still remember that I loved him and he loved me, and that’s all that matters….”

(am i spoiling you guys? kekekeke brace yourself for the third update. i hope it will be out tonight, but no promises!  i'm so sorry i cant get it out): my brain is fried)