Chapter 20: I'm protecting you

The Mediator (GOT7 MARK & BTS JIN Fanfic)

Sorry, the number you have dialed is currently not available, please try again later...

 
It has been my tenth time calling him but it seems that I can't get through. It was either he was really busy or he just didn't want to pick any of my calls. 
 
Mark, where are you? 
 
-
-
-
 
MARK'S POV
 
"If you are still on the previous topic, I'm off now", I said to her once I reached. 
 
When I was still thinking through about what JB had said to me in the room initially, WendyW called me up to meet her after not contacting for days. So, I am now standing in front of the Han River, waiting for her to speak up.
 
"Mark, I'm sorry about what I said the last time about how you have changed. But I need to let you know that I said those words because I care about you."
 
Just then, my phone started ringing and I was about to pick up when she snatched it away from me. 
 
"No, hear me out first!", she turned it off and tossed it back to me. 
 
"WendyW, wha-"
 
"Mark, listen here. There's a reason for me to come all the way to Seoul to find you. I remembered the day when you broke up with me, it was right here", she paused and pointed towards the river. 
 
"You told me that you were afraid that you were not able to protect me as you were going to debut soon. You said that you were scared that your fans will not accept us and this whole relationship might hurt us even more. You said that JYPE had this whole dating ban and all, but I'm telling you now. Day and night after our breakup, all I could think of is you. I realized that I can't just remain as normal friends with you. It's just too harsh on me each time I try to act normal in front of you. I don't want us to end just like that. I thought through and just for you, I decided to give it a try to hang in there. Together, we can make this work again."
 
I was taken aback by her sudden string of confession. Loss for words, I studied her expression carefully to note that she was darn serious about it. 
 
Trying hard to choose the appropriate words in order not to hurt her feelings more, I finally spoke. 
 
"Look WendyW, we are over and there's no possibility that we can get back together again. I know that we once shared happy memories together but that's the past. So, it will be good that we can still continue staying as friends instead."
 
"Is it because of her? That Wendy?", she shot me a glare. 
 
Irritated by her once again, I ran my fingers through my hair and scorned at her.
 
"Why do you have to bring her up again?"
 
"If it's not her, then who else?", she continued to argue as her hands starting pumping on my chest. 
 
"I HATE YOU MARK! I HATE YOU! I know you still love me but give me a reason why we can't be together anymore! Give me a DAMN good reason!", she screamed.
 
"YES YES YES! I LIKE HER! THAT'S THE REASON! YOU HAPPY NOW? ", I finally erupted. 
 
I don't know why but I just said those words without thinking, as if I really meant it. 
 
WendyW withdrew her hands weakly from me and stepped backwards. 
 
I felt sorry for her but it's the only way to enable her to move on. 
 
"Mark Tuan, I love you", she whispered. 
 
"I know."
 
"And I will always do", she said again before she grabbed my neck and leaned in for a kiss.
 
I tried to pull away from her but I could feel her hot tears on my face now. Giving in, I stood still and allowed her to kiss me for once last time. 
 
-
-
-
 
WENDY'S POV
 
As I roam around the streets after giving up on looking for Mark, I soon realized that I was back at the Han River once again. 
 
It was the place where Mark and I had our very first proper conversation, not forgetting the day when he gave me the title of being his 'special fan'. 
 
I laughed to myself as I recollect all the funny moments which we have shared together. Now that JB had mentioned it, I realized that Mark have indeed been a great oppa to me and I really regretted on breaking ties with him. 
 
He was trying to protect me all along, I repeated it in my mind. 
 
The wind was so strong again that I had to turn to one side to avoid the direction that it was blowing. It was then that I saw two familiar figures standing before me some distance away. 
 
Are they kissing? I squinted my eyes, trying to get a better look at them. 
 
My jaws dropped when I made out who they were. 
 
Mark is together with Wendy Wang and they are kissing. That gives the reason why he wasn't picking up any of my calls. 
 
I can't believe that for the whole time, I was actually searching frantically for him and was still feeling exceptionally bad about what I have said to him when here he was, enjoying each and every second together with his ex. 
 
Disheartened, I turned and was about to leave the place but it was then I felt that something doesn't feel right. 
 
I felt like I was being watched. 
 
I twirled one round and studied the surroundings cautiously. Across the road, I caught sight of a person who was appearing suspicious. He was holding on to a camera and it was held facing Mark's direction. He was about to hit the shutter! 
 
Oh no, he may be a reporter and this doesn't seems good! I can't let Mark oppa encounter the same situation I was in. I have to stop them! 
 
"OPPA!", I yelled out loud enough for them to hear me and I ran as fast as my legs could carry me to the two to separate them just in time. By doing so, I pushed WendyW and I couldn't even be bothered when she landed on the ground. My eyes quickly darted back to the guy instead when I saw him throwing his camera at one side and hissing 'Aishhhh!' under his breath. 
 
He must have missed the shot!
 
Phew. I heaved a sigh of relief as I bent down slightly and panted. 
 
It was when Mark started to speak that I realized that I was now standing in between the two.
 
How awkward was that. 
 
"WendyW, are you okay?", Mark asked as he went to support WendyW up. The first thing she did when she got up was to confront me, giving me a tight slap right across my right cheek.
 
"Ouwwww!", I yelped in pain and massaged my cheek, giving her a surprised look. 
 
For pete's sake, I was there to help but why was I hit instead? 
 
"YOU ! WHY DO YOU HAVE TO STEAL MARK AWAY FROM ME? AND HOW DARE YOU PUSHED ME AWAY?!", she started yelling at me and even tried to kick me but luckily, Mark was holding her back. 
 
"WENDY-SSI! WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING HERE? GET OUT OF HERE NOW!" It was now Mark who shouted at me.
 
"But-"
 
"You are really a crazy fan now! I can't believe that you can get jealous to the extent to even hurt my friend! GET OUT OF MY SIGHT NOW! IT'S A SHAME TO HAVE A FAN LIKE YOU!"
 
Ouch. 
 
That bullet went straight through my heart. The thought of having to explain myself was also diminished. There's no point explaining now. His words made me hurt so much that I didn't even have the strength to continue the conversation with him anymore. 
 
I shook my head in dismay and I could feel my eyes watery again.
 
"I didn't know that that's what you have thought of me all along. Oppa, mianhae", that was the last sentence I said to him before I took my leave. 
 
-
-
-
 
MARK'S POV 
 
I swear I saw tears welling up in her eyes before she walked away from me. 
 
Was I too overboard with my words?
 
My eyes followed her shadow as she walked aimlessly across the street. She had her head hung low and her shoulders slumped. She wasn't paying attention to the red light at all and I could see a car speeding towards her direction now. 
 
Being aware that she was in danger, I immediately dashed to her side. 
 
"WENDY-SSI, WATCH OUT!"
 
-
-
-
 
WENDY'S POV
 
My mind was totally not functioning well as I walked. The tears were blurring my vision and I couldn't even make out where I'm heading to. 
 
"WENDY-SSI, WATCH OUT!"
 
That was when Mark's voice made me snapped out of my thoughts. 
 
I turned around only to face a car speeding towards my direction. Frightened, I closed my eyes, preparing to be hit. However, that never happen and the next moment when I opened my eyes, I realized that I was thrown onto the ground by a human force from the back. 
 
Screeching sounds could be heard and the car stopped beside us just in time. 
 
To my horror, Mark was now lying unconscious next to me. 
 
"Mark! MARK!", I quickly yelled his name and shook his body. 
 
"Answer me, Mark!"
 
He opened his eyes slightly and gave me a weak smile.
 
"Luckily you are alright", he said before he was knocked out again. 
 
-
-
-
 
MARK'S POV
 
"I have checked his pulse rate just now. It seems to be normal and so far, I have only identified that he have a fracture to his left distal radius", I heard some murmurs going on right there. 
 
"Thanks girl! You are of a great help! We can assure you that your friend is going to be alright!"
 
I moved my hand slightly to the noise only to realize that it was intertwined with someone's.
 
"Wendy-ssi?"
 
-------------------------------------------
 
Author's note:
 
Sorry guys, but there's no Jin in this chapter again! :x He had too much moments with Wendy previously that I feel that I have been neglecting Mark. Hahaha, anyway hope that you guys will like this chapter! 
 
Help me vote and comment as you read! Thanks a lot! (:
 
<3, 
 
Wendy (: