(SH) Chapter 11

Contestant Number 1 and 2

I huffed, watching the clock. Auntie said she would bring me snacks and something to do. I was getting really bored.

 

I woke up an hour ago to find Tao left and Auntie also, but she at least had the courtesy to leave a note.

 

I didn’t even have my phone to occupy myself, reminder; bug Tao about getting a new phone, and the TV remote was no where to be seen. My eyes wandered around the room, inspecting every aspect.

 

“I am so bored!” I almost yelled out. Smacking my arms against the bedding, groaning heavily. All this annoyment made my head spin and I had to calm down before I freaked out the nurses.

 

Turning to the left I stared at the door to the room, hoping, dreaming, that someone would come in and save me from this awful prison. Blocking my view of the door, of which I never noticed before, was a phone. I struggled to sit up a bit more, and reached for the phone.

 

I racked my brain thinking of a Chinese number that I knew. From the short amount time I have been in China this year, I only had my phone for a small amount of it, So of course the only number I knew was Tao’s.

 

I quickly punched in the set of numbers and held the blocky old phone to my ear. LIstening to the dial tone, I tapped my finger on my leg.

 

Hello?”

 

“Hyung!” A groan came from the other side, “Aren’t you glad to hear me? And here I thought we were close.” I pouted, knowing he couldn’t see me.

 

“What do you want?”

 

“So mean. I’m bored hyung, come over!”

 

“No.”

 

“You hate me,” I sobbed dramatically.

 

“I am busy.”
 

“Too busy for your best dongsaeng. Totally hurt.” I clutched my heart dramatically sighing. I heard a voice speak up in Chinese from Tao’s side. I couldn’t really make out what they were saying but I definitely could tell it was a female voice.

“Are you with TaeMi? Bring her with you!”

 

“We are busy Sehun.” Tao was serious and it was boring.

 

“Fine. Next time you are lonely and bored in a foreign country I wont come to you!” I know I was a little harsh, but I really needed company.

 

I hung up on Tao, slamming the phone back in its spot, in a flurry of frustration, before he could snap back at me or apologise, making me feel bad for getting angry at him.

 

Now I was truly alone. My only resource of entertainment was preoccupied. I struggled to remember the house number so I could contact Auntie, but I could on hazily remember a few numbers. Groaning I hoped a nurse would come in and check on me and be kind enough to give me the remote.

 

I basically stared at the clock for a few hours, slipping in and out of sleep and boredom. The clock seemed to have a personal vendetta, and refused to progress further. I was half asleep when I heard the door open to my room.

 

I was wide awake in seconds, struggling to sit up. A red haired familiar figure ducked in and and I smiled ear to ear.

 

“Hyung!” A swoosh of long hair and a female uniform from our school entered next, and if it was possible, my smile grew even more so.

 

“You are so annoying.” He groaned but I was happy to hear his moody voice. Tao had a brown bag in his hand, I reached forward grabbing at the air eagerly, like a kid in a candy store.

 

Hi TaeMi!” I didn’t forget to greet the quiet girl, she smile in return, nodding, then sat to the right of me and Tao taking my left.

 

“I shouldn’t even be giving you this unhealthy stuff.” He grumbled, but pulled out a glazed donut for me.

 

“Thanks hyung!” I turned to TaeMi, donut in hand, “Share?” She shook her head.

 

You not well?” I asked the girl, worried by her quietness.

 

Just tired, thank you though.” I smiled at her, taking my not glaze covered hand, I ruffled her hair and turned my attention back to the donut. I devoured it quickly and bothered Tao for not bringing more.

 

“I am not your donut servant, stupid,” I just stuck my tongue out at him.

 

Tao mumbled something about having to go get something and exited the room, but I think he was just uncomfortable in the silence, honestly I was just happy for their company, but whatever floats his boat.

 

Are you going to tell me what happened? Why you sad and Tao-ge uncomfortable?

 

TaeMi looked up, eyes wide, not expecting my nearly perfect Chinese, but was only greeted with crossed arms and a serious glare.

 

It’s nothing.

 

It about what happened to you your first year?” She nodded, head sinking lower again.

 

TianMi,” I called out, getting her attention, “Whatever happened while I not here doesn’t matter to me.”  I smiled and she reciprocated it nicely, “Current TaeMi is the TaeMi I care about.” I said just above a whisper.

 

TaeMi jumped out of her seat, wrapping her arms around my waist, face in my stomach, trying to hug me. I was surprised at first to say the least, she was never the one to initiate skinship.

 

“Ta-TaeMi?”

 

One second.” The girl mumbled into my blanket, hiding her face. I just smiled and slowly pat her hair, trying my best to comfort her. At first I thought I was hearing things, easily dismissing the quiet whimpering, but realized it was TaeMi crying.

 

I am here.” I shushed her. I guess she really needed a shoulder to cry on, or lap, so I let her get it all out for a while before I lifted her head to face me. I put on a slight smile, holding her face, I rubbed away her tears with my thumbs.

 

I know not why you cry, but I am here for you.” TaeMi nodded, forcing a sad smile. A few more tears streaked down her already damp cheeks, and I dutifully wiped them away.

 

I scooted over to the best of my ability and patted the newly made space on my bed, inviting the girl. She was hesitant at first, but I gave her my best reassuring smile. TaeMi sighed and climbed in, adjusting herself, careful not to get too close. I smiled to myself.

 

Thank you Sehun.” TaeMi looked up at me, eyes red and sore. I nodded, understanding that she really needed that.

 

I don’t expect you to tell me everything but try understand I worry for you.” I tried to comfort her, letting her know she didn’t need to keep revisiting the story to explain it to me. What happened before I was here was really none of my business. As curious as I was before, I knew that the right thing to do was to give her space, so that is exactly what I planned on doing, starting now.

 

Thank you again. It seems that is all I can say since I arrived.” TaeMi diverted her gaze to the floor, seemingly ashamed.

 

It’s okay really.” I just wanted her to be happy and comfortable.

 

I didn’t notice the silent figure at the door till he coughed awkwardly and made his way over to the bed.

 

TaeMi made a quick to get out of my bed at the sight of Tao, but I grabbed her wrist, entrapping her.

 

“Don’t mind me, I just wanted to give this to you Hun.” He handed me a small bag, opening it I found a phone box.

 

“Thanks hyung.” I looked up to him, giving him my highly acclaimed eye smile. Tao hummed nodding and turned to leave, but stopped just short of the door, looking back at the two of us. TaeMi looked about the room in obvious discomfort at his presence.

 

I leave you two alone.” I feel like TaeMi took a lot more away from that statement than I did because her body dramatically relaxed after he spoke. Tao left, closing the door behind him.

 

What did he give you?” The girl peered over at the parcel in my hand. Smiling I turned to her,

 

Phone.” TaeMi nodded in understanding before asking,

 

Why was he giving you a phone?”

 

“You?”

 

“Me? Are you confused about what I am asking, again?”

 

“Con-confused…. No! You!”

 

“Okay whatever you say.” She obviously didn’t believe me but I knew what I was saying for once.

 

I opened the box pulling out a sleek black phone. Folding it over in my hands, I was impressed, for once he actually got top notch and didn’t give me a cheap product.

 

I handed the phone to TaeMi, albeit confused she took the device.

 

Phone number!” I went to ask but it sounded less of a question and more of a demand, oops. The girl took it lightly, laughing, she opened the phone. Luckily Tao had the decency to charge it a bit before handing it over.

 

TaeMi opened the contacts and added her name and number.

 

I’ll be your first number!” I hummed, she didn’t need to know this wasn’t my first phone and that Tao smashed the first.

 

Picture?” This time I was more sensitive about the infliction knowing that a photo was asking a lot.

 

I saw her think about it, her eyes were puffy and red, her hair wasn’t in the best of conditions, but to me she looked more than pretty enough.

 

Pretty please?” I whined, pulling out my secret weapon, aegyo.

 

Fine fine. Just stop it with,” TaeMi put her hand, motioning to my whole face, “that.” I chuckled and nodded eagerly. I was going to get a photo with TaeMi!!

 

She opened the camera app, seeing as she still had the phone, and everything was in Chinese. I should ask her to change that for me later before I forget.

 

TaeMi held up the device. She angled it a little up, extending her arm out as far as possible. We probably looked like a hot mess. Me in my hospital ground and bandaged up head. Her with her tear stained cheeks and sore eyes. But a photo with TaeMi was a photo with TaeMi.

 

The girl clicked the shutter button a couple times making sure we got one not too blurry and at the perfect angle and distance.

 

She scrolled through all the photos we took, deleting the bad ones, and only leaving one left that complied with her standards. I laughed quietly at her process, earning a frown but I just smiled her annoyment away. Scoffing, TaeMi was about to hand me back my phone. I poked,

 

Change language, Korean.”  I asked to the best of my ability, but seeing from her nod, my Chinese wasn’t as bad as I had thought. Finally changing it TaeMi gave it back to me.

 

I smirked taking up the device. I opened to the picture we had just taken and continued to set it as both my background and lock screen.

 

Oi! Don’t do that!” TaeMi grabbed at my phone, but using my long arms to my advantage, I quickly held it to high for the girl.

 

Too late,”  I , playing keep away.

 

Meanie!”

 

I snickered pulling the phone close to me while TaeMi huffed, crossing her arms across her chest.

 

"At least take a photo when we are both in a better condition." She grumbled cutely.

 

"Promise?" I asked, hearing as much as I needed, I held out my pinkie to link with hers. TaeMi scoffed,

 

"When did you Chinese get so good?"

 

"Only when I want something from someone!" She huffed when she saw me trying my aegyo again.

 

"Fine fine. Later!" TaeMi looked annoyed but I didn't mind, I was going to get not one, but two photos with TaeMi!


The girl linked her pinkie with my own and I swung our arms about.


[A/N]

SPRING BREEEEAAAAK!!!!

 

/sobbs in a corner/