08 Vampires

Werewolves and Vampires

You brought the limping wolf into your house and straight to the living room. You rested it by the fire and rushed to the bathroom to get a towel, a bucket of water and some cloth for wrapping the wound. After cleaning and wrapping up the wound, you sat down next to the animal. You turned the wolf and your eyes met. You tried forcing a smile.

"So," you sighed. "Got yourself hurt huh?" The wolf whined and tried to stand up but fell back down when its weak, injured leg collapsed.

"Don't move. It'll hurt," you said, carrying the bucket to the bathroom and pouring out the water-mixed-blood into the bathtub. You went back to the living room and stared at the wolf resting silently on the ground. "You tried coming after me, didn't you?" You asked, sitting down beside it. The wolf lifted its head and turned to you. You sighed and shook your head. "How about you rest. That'll get that wound to heal faster." Which meant that the faster the wound heals, the quicker you could get this wolf out of your home. You patted the wolf's head and threw yourself down on the couch. You watched as the wolf slowly closed its eyes and eventually fell asleep. You got up and leaned your head on the soft, comfy cushions and stared out at the bright night sky through the open doors and gasped.

The full moon night. You completely forgotten about it. You jumped on your feet and raced for your coat. You turned back to see the wolf's condition and after ensuring it was completely sound asleep, pulled the hood over your head and went out into the night. 

***

When you arrived at the Giant Sequoia tree in the middle of the forest, you watched and waited. The air was thin and cold, you felt it. It was quiet. Quiet and... dark. But you didn't mind a bit. You were already used to such conditions. Your sharp nose smelled familiar scents and you knew someone already was there.

"Late again, Haneul? Gosh, you gotta watch the sky more often," said a voice from behind you. You turned and saw a pair of bright eyes staring right at you.

"I'm sorry, You know I'm forgetful, Tiff," you replied. The figure revealed itself slowly. She was at least a few centimetres taller than you and she wore a dress than reached up to above her knees. Her eyes were blood-red, just like any other vampire. Tiffany laughed and ran to you, hugging you tight. "I missed you," she said, as if it was the first time you two had met in years. 

 

"Missed you too," you said and let go of her. "Where are the others?" 

"They're at the waterfall," Tiffany answered and laid her hands on her hips, staring around her.

You raised your eyebrow in confusion. "I thought we always meet here," You looked up at the giant tree and back at Tiffany, who swallowed hard.

"Yeah. But that was before. We sense something dangerous around here," Tiffany explained, stepping furthur.

"What do you mean dangerous?"

"Shh!" Tiffany exclaimed, placing a finger up to your lips, silencing you. "Not safe to talk here. I'll explain later. I told them I'd stay and wait for you."

"Alright then. I'm right behind you," you said. Tiffany nodded and grabbed your wrist. "Follow my lead." She said and you nodded before following her deeper into the dark forest.

***

When you reached the spot where your pack was supposed to gather, both of you climbed up to a cave behind a frozen waterfall. Once you got there, a group of 5 others were practically frantic. 

"Haneul! What took you so long? We thought you were attacked," one of them exclaimed, running towards you and crossing her arms over her chest. 

"Or dead," added another.

"Sunny!"

"What? Its possible, Haneul's never late," Sunny shrugged and smiled shyly. 

You sighed. "I wasn't attacked, SooYoung. And obviously, Sunny, I'm not dead."

"Sorry," Sunny mumbled and walked away to settle who-knows-what. Sunny was a girl was dark black hair and fair skin who looked like a 13 year old in a two and a half century old body. She wore a shirt that revealed her belly button and a tight skirt that made her look skinnier than she already is. 

"Where's Taeyeon and Seohyun?" You asked when you noticed that another two members of the group were missing.

"Probably on their way here, I told them where to meet this morning," Replied Yuri, one of the members. "And Hyoyeon went out to find them."

"Why didn't we gather at our original meeting ground?" You asked, confused. Yoona, who was busy throwing stones in the air, looked up. Something troubled her. She quickly turned away and continued what she was doing, pretending not to hear your conversation. 

"I-its just not safe there anymore," Yoona said, not turning towards the group. "Not safe there anymore.No, we can't go back. We'll die." You didn't need to try hard to know what she was thinking. But you couldn't understand why it could be so dangerous. Life threatening.

"Why not?" You asked again. The girls looked at each other and gave you looks of disbelief, shaking their heads 

"Cause that's where Yoona saw a werewolf spirit," Tiffany finally explained, stepping forward confidently, but unable to hide the fear in her eyes.  

"That's impossible," you gave them a sceptical glance and a few of them sighed. 

"Its true. There's a spirit guarding that place. That tree at least," SooYoung said.

"But we''ve been gathering under that tree for decades. We never saw any spirit," You said and crossed your arms in disbelief. Werewolf spirits are known to be very ancient, probably the reason why vampires usually ignore them. They say if you see one, you would instantly...die. But you never thought it existed and it was just a myth. Legend says that these spirits guard places that have contained important Werewolf histories, to keep the area safe from any unwanted outsiders. A few vampires have seen them, but none have ever lived long enough to tell about it. They say if you do make eye contact with a Werewolf spirit, you would die instantly, but if not directly, you would receive a disease incurable by any healing powers anyone could possess which could kill in you in a matter of hours.

"Things are weird these days," Said Sunny. "Very weird."

You sighed and leaned against the walls of the cave, waiting for the others. Sunny crawled up beside Yoona, trying to get more information out of her but she said nothing. 

"Hey guys! There they are!" Everyone turned when they heard Tiffany shouting and pointing outside the cave. Soon, thee others entered the cave. They looked like they had just been attacked. One of them was wet from top to bottom and she grunted as she squeezed the water off her clothes. The other two took their places and leaned back against the rocks as they let out exasperated sighs. 

"You guys are late. What happened?" Yuri said and crossed her arms. "We were worried sick!"

"Ambushed. Attacked. Had to run," Replied Hyoyeon, panting. She turned to you, giving a smile that was obviously forced. While the others got themselves busy, you noticed an expression on one of their faces that seemed...strange. Suspicious. 

"Seohyun, you okay?" You asked when you saw the younger's expression. Seohyun ignored your question and walked away. Seemed like something was bothering her. She was never like this. Always happy and active but today, those didn't exist.

"Forget about that, let's get to the reason we're here," everyone stopped what they were doing when Taeyeon, the leader of the group began speaking. She walked over to a boulder and sat down in front of the group. "Now we all know about the tree, right?" She began. Everyone nodded in agreement. You, on the other hand, kept your eyes on Seohyun the entire time. You tried reading her thoughts but she must've noticed what you were doing because she kept her mind silent. You decided to botch trying to get answers out of her and turned away in disappointment.

"We're gonna keep meeting here from now on, until we've confirmed if its safe. Werewolf spirits are ancient, as we all know vampires can't be around them," Taeyeon added. She was a woman with long brown hair and fair skin, probably the fairest one in SNSD. Of course, she let's nothing else enter other than fresh human blood. You wondered if she ever tasted human flesh. Although you thought it was disgusting. 

"But why guard the Giant Sequoia? Is there something ancient about the tree?" You asked in curiosity and Taeyeon let out a long sigh.

"We don't know but we're gonna find out," Taeyeon replied. "In the meantime we should just stay away from it. Its not healthy for us to go there," she added.  "Now, time for reports."

"Seohyun, Tiffany and I found the EXO wolf pack. Injured one of them in the leg, that'll slow them down," Jessica said, proudly and Tiffany gave herself a round of her own applause. 

"I found their secondary hideout three days ago," said Hyoyeon. "West of here."

Everyone turned to her with amazement on their faces. "Not bad," Taeyeon commented. 

"And you, Haneul?" She asked, turning to you.

"I-um..." You paused when you saw the strange look on Seohyun's face. "Nothing interesting," you reported, keeping an eye on the younger in the corner.

"Alright then," Taeyeon said and smiled. "Since we found the EXO wolf pack's secondary hideout, it'll be easier to catch them. We'll meet here the day after tommorow to discuss our plans. Dismissed."

As everyone got ready to leave, you went over to Seohyun to see if she was okay. She'd been acting strange enough for one day. And you couldn't take the treatment for long. 

"Hey. You alright?" You asked.

Seohyun nodded. "Always."

You smiled. "You seem kind of...strange. Are you sure?" Seohyun lowered her head and averted her eyes away from your gaze. Was she mad at you or something?

"Well, to be honest. I'm not exactly sure if I'm okay being around YOU."

You gave her a look of confusion. "What do you mean?"

"You know exactly what I mean!" She said, raising her voice causing the others to pull their attention to the two of you. 

"You two alright over there?" Taeyeon asked, leaning forward for a better look and squeezing through the group.

"You're guarding a werewolf at home, I saw you!" You were taken aback by the sudden outburst that you couldn't think of anything else to say. 

I'm so dead. Yeah, you are Haneul.

"Is this true?" Asked Tiffany, coming over to check on the two of you.

"What?" You said, pretending to act clueless.

Seohyun crossed her arms. "Its true. I saw it."

"I'm serious. I don't know what you're talking about," you said. "Its just a wolf."

"Come on, its a werewolf," Seohyun shot back. "Obviously. You can read minds, it would be hard to believe you had been fooled."

You couldn't believe your ears. The wolf sitting right now at your home was actually the enemy. And you had been fooled all along.

"Hmm? Werewolf?" Taeyeon said, making you jump. "No wonder I smell it all over you the second I saw you," she said. "Haneul, you better do something about it."

You lowered your head. "What do you suggest I do?" 

Everyone turned to Taeyeon as she said the words: "Kill it before it kills us."

You didn't think you had the guts to do that. It would be gruesome.

"But-"

"No excuses. It has to exterminated," Taeyeon said. She sounded serious and straight and her voice was hoarse. 

Dead end.