14 Help and Trouble

Werewolves and Vampires

It felt like hours, when really it was barely 10 minutes. Time resumed like nothing ever happened as you finally stopped in front of an underground cave you supposed was the pack's den. The night was still as young as it was when you left. Of course, when you've got a time-manipulator on your hands. 

 

A loud howl took over the sky and you turned to see the one-eyed alpha throwing back it's enormous head, howling at the moon. In sync, the wolves slowly began to transformed into boys, dusting and kicking off the snow and dirt of their clothes. Even in their human forms, they still looked as tough as their wolves. Despite their good looks. But looks can be deceiving, You couldn't underestimate them just yet. Who knows how powerful this pack can get. 

 

After everyone has undergone transformation, only one of the alphas remained still in his wolf form, eyeing you closely with those huge yellow eyes of his that seemed as sharp as a dagger. He seemed to still not trust you quite yet to let his guard down. The other members of the pack seemed to notice that, but they said no word to question it. 

 

The alpha with the one eye, when standing among the other members of the pack, was taller in height and had bright blonde hair that made him look like someone in his teens despite the huge mark across his right eye. He shot a quick glance at you and you quickly turned away from his eyes as if it could kill. Without saying a word, he went ahead of the group and led you into the cave while the others walked quietly from behind. You could hear chattering and whispering behind you but you didn't look back. Instead, you kept your eyes focused to the front. Luhan ran up beside you and you felt his soft hand slip into yours. You caught his eyes staring into yours and you quickly turned away before anyone notices, pretending nothing happened. But you didn't let go of his hand and merely held it tighter. 

 

The den wasn't exactly what you'd expect it to look like. There was no sign of bones or animals being dragged in to be slaughtered, not even a single patch of blood on the ground. Somehow, it seemed to feel cozy, just like home. There were several carvings and paintings on the walls that looked like the one's children would draw. What amazed you more were the light particles floating around the den, providing light enough to cover every inch of the area. They looked like fireflies from afar, but tiny balls of blue-orange lights up close.

 

In a corner, you could make out a boy in dirty, bloodstained clothes, leaning on the cold wall of the cave, as motionless as stone. Beside him were three others. One was squeezing the boy's hand and humming calm tunes to his ear while the other two were caught up in arguing about only God knows what. By a single glance at you, their eyes widened in alarm and their bodies trembled as if you were some sort of brain-eating zombie invading their home. The wounded guy had his wide, darkened eye on you, but he didn't move an inch. 

 

"Uh...what's going on?" One of them questioned, not even daring to look at you. 

 

"What's going on in Suho's mind? He's crazy!" Automatically, the voice entered your head and you sighed in exasperation. 

 

"Don't worry, she's here to help," Said the reply as the one-eyed alpha crossed his arms and watched, probably expecting you to go over there and do something. But it seemed like the other three didn't want to take the risk. 

 

Before anyone could add any more words, you walked over to the boy slowly. The three boys standing beside him quickly backed off, afraid to get any closer to you. One of them insisted that it would be a bad idea to trust you, but the alpha just waved it off without a word. 

 

You knelt beside the boy, who eyed your every move, but still, he didn't have the strength to even move a muscle. Sweat ran down his face as he moaned in pain when he tried to escape your touch but failed to do so because of the pain his body was going through. 

 

Hearing a whisper in his ear, "Trust me," he turned to you and looked straight into your eyes. "Trust me," you repeated and he blinked twice. His eyes averted to the pack behind you whose faces were filled with worry and then back into your eyes. 

 

"Help me," You heard his voice, but he didn't open his mouth. Probably a sign to say YES. You took a deep breath and you gently laid your hand on his forehead and tried to make out his body temperature. Cold. Too cold. His face, pale. Very pale. 

 

He was literally like a living corpse. You knew there wasn't much life in him left.  

 

You slided your hands down to his neck to check on his pulse. His heartbeat, on the other hand, was slow and weak, as if it could stop pumping at any second. You feared that just one wrong move could kill him. He was as fragile as a newborn baby. Your fingers then trailed down to his arm, which was wrapped tight with a blood-soaked towel but you could still spot fresh blood leaking out of the wound. At the sight of it, you felt a sharp pain in your throat like as if something was slitting it from the inside with a newly-polished knife. You felt yourself being attracted to it, like a human who hasn't eaten for a week or so. You kept repeating the word "Control" to yourself over and over again as you pressed your hands against your chest hard and calmed yourself before proceeding to remove the venom. You weren't exactly sure if it was a good idea to it out, especially with the level of thirst you were experiencing. You weren't careful, you could kill him. And if that happened, you knew you wouldn't be alive to see the sun. 

 

You turned to the boy and noticed a look in his eyes that told you he was giving you a green light. Although you weren't sure if you were giving yourself one. Despite all that, you felt like you pitied him, as helpless as he is and on the verge of death which could claim him anytime soon. And you couldn't imagine the worry in his pack. You knew how it felt, to lose a pack member. Well, almost lost. A few decades back, SNSD's Jessica nearly died of blood thirst. She hasn't been drinking for nearly a month. You didn't even know how she could survive that long. On the top of allthat, it was the coldest winter we had ever encountered so there was a very low chance of catching preys at the time. Well, because of your sacrifice, you nearly turned to ice trying to "feed" her, but only got a newborn bunny which couldn't last her even 3 days. 

 

You gathered up all your courage and wiped the blood that seemed to keep coming out of the wound with a towel. You took a deep breath and before you knew it, you were sinking your fangs deep into the wound. You felt the boy wince in pain but nothing could compare to the struggle you were facing. The deeper you went into his skin, the more venom you discovered. Slowly, you out every last drop until any trace of venom in the body is gone. 

 

Before you got the chance to release your fangs, a loud "bang!" banged in your ears, like an explosion. You were taken aback by the sudden outburst but you didn't have the chance to even think. As shocking as the loud noise, images blinded your eyes, taking over your focus and clouding your mind. 

     

                            ***

 

The first thing you saw was the fire. Rising higher and bigger every second. Thick black smoke clouded everything. It was dark, the clouds disappeared and the moon was blood red. Strangely, you've never seen one. 

 

Where is this place?

 

You were standing in the middle of a village where everything around you was on fire: the houses, the trees, the flowers, everything. The place felt deserted, but the fire seemed to have freshly begun. Something flickered in front of you and you gasped when you found your feet standing right smack in the middle of a huge pile of burning wood. Shocked, you sprung away from it as fast as you could, only to discover that you weren't burnt by it. 

 

Vampires were the prey of fire. They say it is one of the things that could kill one. Basically the weakness.  But you couldn't understand why THIS fire couldn't burn you.  Not even your hair, or your clothes. You couldn't even smell the smoke. 

 

What is this?

 

Slowly, you reached your hand forward towards the fire and quickly drew it back, examining it closely. No sign of burns or whatever there is to deal with fire. 

 

This isn't real, you convinced yourself. I'm seeing things, none of this isn't real. 

 

In the midst of the flames, you caught the figure of a young girl with long purple ribbons hanging from her hair now filled with ashes. Sweat slid down her face and tears from her cheeks. Her lips parted but you couldn't make out the name she was calling. Your mind flooded with curiosity so you followed her closely, careful not to be spotted. How could you be, it was as if all of this was simply like a meaningless illusion. 

 

You followed her to a tiny house at the centre of the village where a young boy, face covered in black ash and clothes torn and tattered lay unconscious on the floor. The girl, upon seeing him, ran to him anxiously, pulling him into a tight hug and planting kisses on his cheek. You could see that she spoke, but everything seemed like it was on mute. The boy laid motionless, as if dead, but alive. Without hesitating, the girl ripped the sleeve of the boy's dirt-stained shirt in a trance and you spied two tiny dots resting on his arm: Bite marks you supposed. 

 

You could only stand there, speechless as the girl, without hesitating, sank her teeth into the boy's skin. 

 

Just the way you did. Only this time, you didn't have a clue what was going on. 

 

Before you could make out what happened next, your sight was blurred and everything around you disappeared in the blink of an eye, followed by pure darkness. A scream rang in your ears but you couldn't see who it was. Then, quiet sobbing before the silent whisper of a woman, words as clear as crystal: 

 

"You're the last ones left."

 

                            ***

 

"Haneul? Haneul-ssi?" You felt a hand on your shoulder and instantly, you came back to your senses. Your mind came back to life, leaving you in complete confusion. The alpha with the one eye turned to you, and for the first time, you actually saw the "concern" in his eyes.

 

You quickly released your fangs and turned to the boy, who was finally beginning to regain consciousness. The venom must've gotten out. Slowly, his eyelids opened and soon, you were greeted by the bright yellow eyes of a perfectly healthy Byun Baekhyun. 

 

"I-I'm okay," he said and tried to sit up straight with your help. At the sight of his recovery, the others rushed to his side at top speed, checking every inch of his body and sighing and laughing in relief. 

 

"Baekhyun!"

"Baekhyun hyung, you're okay."

"She really did it. She cured him."

"I can't believe it."

 

You noticed that the alpha had finally transformed to human and was sitting by the now recovered boy's side and was hugging him as if they haven't met in years. He caught you staring at him and you quickly turned away before anything weird happens. 

 

They seemed happy, as if Baekhyun was the "prodigal son" who'd just returned home after years.  Honestly, you felt a sudden feeling of happiness too, strangely. For them.

 

You stifled a smile and turned to go and that was when it came again. The very same voice whispering the words "You're the last ones left" over and over again and the images of the girl with purple ribbons, and the injured boy. Only, they weren't as clear as you had seen them before. It would disappear for awhile, and come back again to attack. You turned to see if you weren't the only one hearing voices and seeing strange images but the others seemed normal. It was only you. 

 

Am I...dreaming? No, this can't be. 

 

You felt your head spin and for the first time in your life, you thought you were going to faint. It was too much for you to take as if something was beating your head open from the inside. 

 

Before you knew it, you were running outside, hands pressed as hard as you could against your ears and eyes closed to shut out the voices and images. But it was no use. 

 

You saw the same images with the girl with the purple ribbons and the unconscious boy which kept fading away and coming back, along with the strange voices. 

 

"You're the last ones left."

 

Last ones? What's that supposed to mean?

 

"You're the last ones left."

 

Surprisingly, as if summoned, the images began to fade away but the voices remained, this time louder than ever.

 

"You're the last ones left."

 

Slowly, it began to soften, bit by bit until finally, it was gone, leaving you with nothing but complete silence. The night was still young and the moon provided the only light outside the den. Exhausted, you slumped down against the entrance of the cave and threw your head back against the hard rock, mulling over what just happened. 

 

The fire. The village. The girl. The boy. And...the voices. 

 

Before you could think no further, you heard a loud sigh coming from somewhere beside you. Surprised, you turned to see something, no someone, leaning against the wall of the other side of the entrance to the cave.

 

"L-luhan?" You called and he turned. He seemed just as surprised as you were to find you there. "Are you okay?"

 

"Uh," he paused and turned away from your eyes as he continued, "Everything's fine. Just...needed to catch some fresh air." There was a troubled look in his eyes that told you something was definitely NOT fine. He was as pale as a corpse. Like a kid who'd just awakened from his worst nightmare. But you said nothing about it.

 

"I...should get back inside," he said and you nodded before watching him enter the cave, staggering along the way. 

 

This is weird.

 

Suddenly two "furry things" zoomed past you in an awfully fast motion. Two huge wolves with brown fur were jumping on top of each other, running around and playing in the snow the way children would. One would climbed on top of the other and the other would shake it off and chase after his attacker's tail, like cubs.

 

"Don't mind them. Chanyeol and Baekhyun are always like that."

 

You jumped when you heard a cold voice beside you. You sighed when you saw who it was and the guy gave you a smirk. "I'm Kris," he said and extended a hand to you which you shook without a second thought. It was the alpha with the one-eye. 

 

"Look, I...just want to say, thanks," the alpha said and you shrugged. 

 

"Was just trying to help," you replied simply, trying to hide the lies in you. Hopefully you've got good lying skills. But he seemed to believe everything you said so you took that as a good sign. 

 

"I never thought a vampire like you was capable of kindness," what he said took you aback and you sighed. But didn't reply. 

 

As you sat on the snow, staring at the sky as you waited for the first light of dawn, other members of the pack would come out and thank you, introducing themselves. 

 

By sunrise, you knew every one of their names. 

 

Chanyeol and Baekhyun, the two brown wolves in the snow, were the closest in the pack, but not the quietest. 

 

Suho, one of the alphas next to Kris, was the most protective of them, always taking concern in whatever they would do and where they would go. 

 

Kyungsoo or preferred name D.O, considered "mother" of the pack, takes care of their meals and the cleanliness of the den. Could crack open the earth in a heartbeat.

 

Xiumin was the oldest, almost 200 years of age and acted like the shield of the pack. In this season of winter, nobody would want to mess with him, as they all know, he was the master of frost. 

 

Lay, with the ability to heal, as Luhan had said the other day. Wasn't exactly the most alert guy at some times. Quiet, but could be deadly when angry. 

 

Tao, time manipulator. Youngest but one of the strongest.

 

Kai, the teleporter. 

 

Chen, the one who could zap you with lightning as a joke. 

 

Sehun, closest to Luhan. The master of the wind element, probably the youngest. 

 

And Luhan, the wolf with bright golden eyes as bright as the sun and fur as white as freshly fallen snow. Someone you had attempted to kill, but failed due to the close bond you had already constructed with him, without realising. 

 

You couldn't help but notice they seemed... Happy. Not just a pack. More like... A family. And they had something your pack didn't. 

 

Love. 

 

As you sat there, watching them, you couldn't bear to hurt them. To set a single hand on them. And betraying them would only make you even more guilty. They were a family you couldn't ruin. 

 

You didn't realise it, but you had gotten closer to them than you think. Maybe it was too late to turn back now, but you didn't care. You finally decided. And this time, you could even bet your life on it, you would do the right thing. 

 

Even if it meant leaving your pack. 

 

You would spare EXO.

 

_________________________________________________________

A/N: Woah, I've really got patient subscribers :D Its been so long since I last updated, sorry bout that hehe. But since its the holidays now, I guess I'll try to update more! 125 subscribers^^ :DDD

Thankiuuuuu :D I just wanna says ILYSM ♥ and thanks for supporting this fic! Unt