12 Tough Decisions

Werewolves and Vampires

The day went pretty well, you could say. You caught a deer and a rabbit while hunting with Luhan that afternoon and gave away your blood cravings. The only part of your day that wasn't such interesting was the fact that you kept thinking about your "stab him in the back" plan. After hours of thinking it through, you finally made the decision to stick with the plan. You were with Luhan back in your home by nightfall and you had just got yourself cleaned up. Same goes to Luhan, who had bathed himself in the cold, freezing waters he found in a frozen lake. You thought it was stupid at first but then you were told that he liked the cold. Which was an unexpected information for you. 

 

"You don't sleep?" Luhan asked as he threw himself down on the couch in front of the fire place. 

 

You nodded. "No, I don't," You said as you opened the door that led to the balcony. "How about you get some rest, I'll keep watch," you suggested. 

 

"Keep watch over what?" Luhan asked and chuckled. 

 

You smiled to yourself and turned to face him. "Keep watch over the night. Like I always do. The stars, the moon, the dim night lights."

 

"That's what you do at night, huh?" 

"For a century, yeah."

"Fascinating," He smirked and crossed his arms over his chest.

"What do you mean?"

 

Luhan adjusted the pillows and placed his head on them. "I mean, most vampires hunt at night. They seem to think its a better time for catches."

 

"And how do you know that?" You asked in curiosity. 

 

"Obviously, werewolves always get ambushed by vampires at night. That's the only time when the real fights begin. None usually happen in broad daylight," He explained and closed his eyes, sighing.

 

You tilted your head up and stared into the bright night sky. The moon shone brightly, you could see it from the corner of your eye. The stars twinkled like a million diamonds. The lights shone down on forest scenery down below, reflecting on the white snow. Beautiful. Just beautiful. You had loved seeing scenes like these, they often calm you down or give you distractions during stressful times when you hadn't able to get any good catches. There was silence for awhile, except for the creeking of insects and the rustling wind blowing through the night. You turned back to check on Luhan and sure enough, he was there, sound asleep. 

 

You let out a sigh in relief. It was the first time Luhan had ever slept in your home in his human form. At least it made the job easier. You didn't have to worry if he would bite your hand off or something. Slowly, you walked over to where he laid on the couch and stared at his face. You could see his dark brown hair and his perfectly smoooth and fair face under the orange lights. You laid your hand on his head gently, trying your best not wake him. You had done more with his wolf than with his actual human form. It felt as if he were two different beings. And you felt a deeper connection with his wolf. But he was the same. Both wolf and human are one. And that was a fact. How you even wished Luhan was just an ordinary wolf. Then you wouldn't have to go through all these decisions.

 

You didn't want to kill him, you really didn't want to. But what choice is there left? Friends or not, he was still a werewolf. Suddenly, you heard a soft knock on the door of the balcony. Then, a voice echoed in your head: "Haneul! Over here, the balcony!" You got up and walked over to the balcony to see what was going on. Once you stepped foot in the balcony, you realized it. You quickly closed the door quietly behind you. In an instant, Tiffany came into visibility beside you. Which wasn't a surprise. She had done this kind of thing to you a lot of times before and you knew how to sort her out by hearing her thoughts.

 

"So how's progress?" She asked with a smirk, laying one of her hands on her hips.

 

"I knew you were following me all day. What's the problem with you?" You asked, ignoring her question. 

 

She crossed her arms and grinned. "The real question is, what's wrong with YOU? You haven't gotten rid of him yet, Haneul."

 

"I'm working on it," you tried to explain. "I was actually planning to do it tonight but that plan actually had to be postponed because of your interruption." You shot her a glare. "So will you just, get out of my house?" You gestured for her to leave.

 

"Okay. Alright. Just, do it alright," the woman said, taking out a knife from her belt and placing it in your hand. 

 

"Uh...Tiffany?" You gulped when you saw the knife in her hand. She lifted an eyebrow at you. "Is it possible if I..." You silenced yourself. 

 

"If you?" Tiffany raised an eyebrow in confusion. 

 

"If I don't kill him?"

 

There was a few seconds of silence before Tiffany burst out laughing hysterically like she's just heard the funniest thing in history. You could only stand there, staring at her with serious eyes.

 

"I'm serious," You glared at her and she stopped. Her blood-red eyes widened. Disbelief covered her pretty face.

 

"Haneul, what's gotten into you? He's dangerous for Pete's sake!" She practically shouted. You turned back and slided the door open a little to see if any of the noise had waken Luhan. Fortunately, he was still in the same spot and position he was when you last saw him.

 

"I just, I can't do it! He saved my life," you explained and turned back to Tiffany. "Twice," you added, holding out two fingers in her face. She took a few steps back and gave you a disappointed look.

 

"He's just trying to gain your trust! Can't you see it's obvious? I mean, why would a werewolf save a vampire, a mortal enemy's life? And twice? Isn't that odd," She said.

 

"Well maybe he's not like that. He's...different."

 

"He's not, Haneul. Don't be fooled," Tiffany said and placed the knife in your hand. "Just...finish the job."

 

"Why can't you do it?" You asked. 

 

"Hey, its your responsibility. You let it into your home and you're gonna be the one who gets it out," Tiffany said. 

 

You sighed and lowered your head. Tiffany laid her hands on both your shoulders and looked at you in the eyes. You tried avoiding her gaze but it was practically impossible. Her grip on your shoulder was so strong you almost couldn't take it. "He won't be so hard to deal with. I'll come check on you at dawn. Now's your chance."

 

You hesitated for a moment. Then nodded weakly. "Fine." 

 

Tiffany smiled in satisfaction. "Good. I'll leave you to it. You can do this. I know you can." And with that, she disappeared from plain sight. You stood alone, pondering on what to do and mulling over your conversation with Tiffany. Should I really do this? You thought and buried your face in your hands, sighing in exasperation. You stood in the balcony for a while, staring at the sky, enjoying the stars. But this time, your mind wasn't concentrating on how beautiful the scenery was. It was Luhan. You coouldn't make up your mind. What if Tiffany was right? Maybe Luhan really did all this to gain your trust and later make you fall into some stupid trap. You entered the living room and took a deep breath. 

 

Operation: Get-Rid-Of-Luhan-Once-And-For-All you thought and took one last look at Luhan sleeping peacefully on the couch before taking a deep breath. 

 

"You can do this, Haneul," you said and got out the knife. Its sharp metal blade shining under the light. You buried your face in your hands. "What should I do?" It wasn't long before you found yourself sobbing quietly alone under the dim orange lights, in front of an enemy.

 

***

 

"How hard can it be to kill one? Especially when its actually asleep, a hundred times easier," Tiffany mumbled to herself as her invisible body walked towards the slope of the hill. 

 

"Let's just hope Haneul can do this. I know she can! Then problem solved. Everything will go back to the way it was and we'll all live happily ever after." She stopped when her sharp nose caught a specific scent. A familiar one. Then, a howl. No, howls of three different wolves all coming from different directions. She began to shiver. 

 

"I'm surrounded," she thought to herself. She began to make out the scents and the result was the last thing she ever wanted: 7 werewolves. "I'm so gonna die!" She began to panic. She couldn't think straight. But she could only think of this : "What if they've come for him?" And what about Haneul? How could she survive?

 

And so she ran for her life.