18 Betrayal or Freedom?

Werewolves and Vampires

"Where is everybody?" 

 

What was left of the pack's home were only ruins with huge rubbles of stone everywhere. As for any signs of battle between both groups, not much except for the damage in the trees surrounding the area where the cave once was. The falling of snow was heavier too, making it a little hard for you to see clearly. It was like a storm was about to happen soon. 

 

"Luhan, where is everybody?" You repeated, only to be silence by Luhan's finger on your lips. 

 

"Shh!" He whispered, although you didn't know why. He squatted on the ground and began to sniff the air. He must've caught someone's scent judging by how focused he was. It wasn't much of a surprise when there was a loud ripping sound and the figure beside you was replaced by a wolf. He lowered his head to the ground and began to sniff his way towards the northwestern side of the forest. Curious, you decided to tag along. 

 

"I caught Sehun's scent. He must be here somewhere," you heard him say and continue to follow him, looking back, left and right constantly to check for any signs of the wolves and vampires. After awhile, Luhan stopped causing you to nearly topple over him. He howled loud enough to last miles before whining several times. He seemed nervous, stamping his giant paws on the ground like a hungry cub. Silence descended for a few seconds, until Luhan's howl was replied by another one, not very far from where you were. Somehow it seemed to be familiar. Luhan turned to you, a flicker of hope in his eyes. 

 

"They're still alive."

 

You nodded and walked ahead of him, looking over your shoulder. "Then what are we waiting for?" 

 

***

 

"Kris! Kris hyung," Tao yelled his lungs out. Well, yelling, but in a quiet way. He wouldn't want anyone to hear him or he'd be dead meat. He WAS expert in fighting, but not when it involves anything to do with the word "bravery".

 

"Kris, where are you?" He wondered around the forest. Looking under every branch and searching every bush for the alpha. Then, his ears perked up in alarm. Before he knew it, his legs had took off, carrying him away faster and faster from the figure chasing him. His heart beat so hard it vibrated against his chest. He knew he wouldn't make it this time. The one chasing him was too fast for him to escape. Fortunately, a found a safe place to hide under a large rock. The wolf dug his way into the space where the tall grass served as his cover. The figure passed him in massive speed, not aware that Tao had been hidden. 

 

Once the scene seemed clear, he stepped out nervously, checking all directions to see if there was anyone else watching him before running off to find his hyung. 

 

Kris disappeared a few minutes ago. Tao knew his problem. But he needed to find him. His pack needed Kris. Without thinking, he ran in the direction back to the cave where he found that it was only in ruins. He transformed into his human form and searched through the rubble, moving stones and trying to find a space. Maybe Kris was trapped inside, he wondered. 

 

"Kris!" He called but there was no reply. "Wu Yi Fan!"

 

Still no reply. 

 

Tao was just about to give up when he felt a hand tapping his shoulder. He looked over his shoulder and his eyes brightened. "Kris hyung!" He threw his arms around the elder's neck and they embraced. 

 

"I thought you were dead," Tao said, beginning to sob. He released the alpha but before Kris' lips could part and hand flew across the alpha's face, of course, hard enough to leave a large hand print on his cheek. 

 

"Ow!" Kris whined, holding the place where Tao had slapped him. "What was that for?"

 

"Where were you? I was worried sick. Its chaos out there, we can't do this without you!" Tao burst, he seemed to be in fit. Kris sighed and crossed his arms. 

 

"And what are you doing out here instead of fighting over there?" 

 

Tao raised his hand to slap him again but Kris held his hand back. "I came to find you of course, idiot," he mumbled the last word but Kris ignored it, although he was irritated that the younger was calling him in that way. 

 

"Tao, you know I'm afraid of-" 

"So what?" Tao exclaimed and shot him a look of disbelief. "You're coming. Get over your fears and fight for your pack, dammit!" 

 

Kris eyes widened as Tao pulled his arm but he was strong enough to it pull back. "I-I can't," he stuttered and lowered his head. Tao couldn't stand to see his alpha and hyung being so selfish, so he did what he could, which the first time he ever did it: it was time he gather up his courage and lecture his alpha. 

 

"Kris! You're hiding here while the members of your pack are fighting them off. They're risking their lives and all you do is hide! You have that...phobia or something, can't you just get over that freaking disease?" His voice got louder and louder that Kris thought he was actually going to explode. "Lay's down, there's no to get the others going. Luhan ran off to who knows where and you're just hiding off."

 

"Fine, fine! Where are they?" He finally gave in, hoping Tao would stop talking and he really did. Tao's eyes filled with happiness and relief as he and Kris transformed and charged off into the forest. 

 

***

 

Back at the battlefield, it was total chaos. Werewolves flew everywhere and Vampires dashed back and forth. Loud whines and painful howls filled the sky, but after Lay successfully healed himself from the slash in his foot, he was finally able to get the others back in good condition. It was the only advantage the werewolves had against the other pack of vampires. But the other pack had another deadly weapon. Taeyeon, with her manipulation ability, managed to hypnotise four of them, easily knocking them over with a single blow. 

 

It was a 9 to 9, since Luhan had disappeared to find help and Tao ran off to who knows where. Everyone knew the problem with Kris anyway, but no one blamed him so much. Suho was trying his best to keep the pack together. Although he got cornered a few times, he still managed to escape being killed when the others came to his aid. Kai managed to take down three vampires by teleporting back and forth, confusing them and pulling them down when they weren't aware, but got overpowered when he landed in the wrong place. D.O and Xiumin, both working together, made the ground shake and broke the ice several times, although their abilities backfired when the two of them were pushed into one of the holes they made in the ground. As for Chen and Sehun, they didn't have much experience with fighting so the only thing they did was run back and forth, trying to escape the enemy's attacks. Chanyeol tried setting a few Vampires on fire, but instead he nearly lighted up himself. Baekhyun shone his light in the wrong direction, blinding one of his pack members, causing temporary blindness in Sehun when he ran passed. 

 

The fights seem to be endless. And Suho couldn't take it anymore. If it continued any longer, they wouldn't be alive to see the light of another day. But before he could make a move, a familiar howl filled the sky, causing all attention to fly towards it. Two figures, a wolf and what it seems to be a vampire, appeared out of the trees. Behind them, two wolves sped as fast as lightning but tripped over each other at the speed they were at. 

 

"Haneul?" A voice came from afar and everyone could only stare in shock. Taeyeon stepped up in front of the group and you saw the twinkling of disbelief in her eyes. "What's this?" Her eyes averted to the wolf at your side. Luhan growled but it wasn't an offending one. 

 

"So it was true," through the crowd, Seohyun pushed in between to make way. There wasn't a single hint of any kind of expression on her pale face as if she already knew. 

 

"Taeyeon, this has to stop, now."

 

The words that had escaped your lips couldn't be taken for granted. SNSD wasn't convinced. 

 

"You're on their side now?" Taeyeon pointed at the pack of exhausted wolves on the other side and if looks could kill, you would have been already dead. 

 

You nodded slowly and lowered your head. 

 

Why do I suddenly feel guilty? You thought to yourself. This all seemed like a dream. 

 

"Yes."

 

There was a series of gasps coming from the other side and you dared not to even glance at Taeyeon. It wasn't because you were afraid of her ability. Her manipulation abilities wouldn't work on you anyway. 

 

"They've brainwashed you, Haneul. How could you be so stupid?" Tiffany's voice rang inside your head but you couldn't see her through to the crowd. 

 

You took a deep breath and lowered your head. Your heart would be racing like crazy if it were still beating. You felt a warm hand wrap slowly around your cold ones. Luhan stood in his human form, tall and straight. He turned to you and looked you in the eye, and you knew what he meant. 

 

You had to be brave. 

 

"Get back here, Haneul!" It didn't seem like a request. More like a command. What Taeyeon said was loud and clear. It was forbidden to disobey a pack's alpha, you knew that. You shook your head like a stubborn child, but continued staring down at the ground. You had to stand up for yourself. 

 

I'm not going to let her control my life anymore, you whispered in your heart. Luhan's grip tightened around your hand and you took that as a simple sign. 

 

"Are you refusing an order?" Hyoyeon crossed her arms and glanced over the wolves who were watching in complete silence but also in shock. Suho was the most with the obvious expression of disbelief. But he made no move. You noticed blood dripping from a tiny scratch across his cheek but he seemed to care more about the situation than the injury.

 

"Taeyeon," surprisingly your voice sounded a little more brave. "I've made my decision."

 

Silence descended, and all there was to hear were the sounds of fast breathing and your voice. The sky seemed to darken more and more by the minute. Before long, the moon would be up.

 

You immediately shut your eyes as the realisation hit you. If you did this, there wouldn't be any turning back. 

 

This is crazy, you thought. Why would I side with someone whom I've only known for a few days and barely even know him? And wolves as the natural enemies of vampires? What if they decide to turn on me when I won't be expecting it?  After all, it wasn't meant to be. 

 

Werewolves and vampires? Not a chance. 

 

But you knew this pack.

 

You could see it in them. They're different. You were confident that they were. And what you said next was going to change your fate. 

 

No turning back. It'll too late. 

 

"I'm no longer a member of SNSD," although your voice trembled, you tried your best to sound confident. All eyes directed at you, filled with shock, disbelief and worse of all...rage. Taeyeon's eyes turned bright red as the result, but you weren't afraid anymore. The moment the words escaped your lips, for the first time ever, you felt lightened. You finally felt freedom, like letting a bird out of a cage for the first time in its life. 

 

"What?"

"She wants to leave SNSD?"

"Impossible!" 

 

"And what is your specific reason for this?" Taeyeon spoke up above the crowd of murmurs. 

 

You were held speechless for a moment. She was right. WHAT was your reason? You didn't know it well yourself. "I don't want you think I'm siding with them, or in any ways betray my kind. But I have my own reasons."

 

"You betray-" 

"Yoona, calm down," Taeyeon managed to pull the collar of the vampire's dirt-stained shirt before she could charge at you. "She's not worth it. Let's get out of here." 

 

Yoona sighed and shook the leader's hand off her neck, rolling her eyes in frustration. "Happy now? You've stolen one of us, EXO!" She spat and turned away.

 

EXO? You had no idea up till now. You knew SNSD has always talked about how chaotic and troublesome EXO was towards them. And THIS was EXO? How come Luhan never told me, you thought to yourself as you glanced over at Luhan, who lowered his head once he caught your stare. 

 

Taeyeon glanced over her shoulder to take one last look at you before speeding off with the others. Tiffany stayed behind awhile, you knew for sure that she was trying to say something, but in the end, she disappeared without a word. 

 

That was it. You've officially left the pack. You felt guilty and freedom at the same time. You let Luhan's warm arms wrap around you and you sank your face into his chest, sobbing as he ran his fingers through your hair, whispering in your ears to comfort you. But at this specific moment, nothing could. 

 

You had to choose sides anyway. And you didn't want to have anything to do with both sides. 

 

You wanted to be independent. 

 

Lone. 

 

A vampire without a pack. 

 

You looked up and pulled away from Luhan, surprising him. "Now," you pointed at him with a serious expression on your tear stained face. "You and I have some unfinished business."

_________________________________________________________

 

A/N: Phew, hadn't updated in forever! Sorry about that guys, hope you're not mad at me for taking so long to update. For this chap, I included a little of Taoris and a little more angst (I guess). In case you're wondering, words in Italian (Like this) can be either one of the following:

1. The thoughts from other characters that Haneul can read using her mind-reading ability and

2. Visions (More on that towards the later part of the story)

I guess that's it. Hope you're all enjoying the story so far. And comment more! I love reading your thoughts on this fic, inspires me lots! ILYSM! ♥ And I won't stop updating until the story ends so THANKS ALOT FOR ALL THE SUPPORT! :D