13 Encounter

Werewolves and Vampires

"I found him!" Kai reported in a loud, long howl. The scent of Luhan's wolf crowded his senses. Before he could follow it, his nose caught another scent. He stopped and sniffed the cold, thin air. 

 

"Wait, a sec-" Kai paused, his bright golden eyes widened. 

 

"Wait, who am I kidding? I should investigate."

 

***

 

You held the blade high as you prepared to strike. You never felt this guilty in your life. You wished you could reverse time and stop this wolf from ever following you and bringing you into this situation. But you had no other choice. You couldn't change the past even if you wanted to. 

 

Before the blade could touch Luhan, the dagger had fallen to the cold ground and the sound of the long distant howl of a wolf. You quickly turned towards the direction it came from. What was that? You wondered.

 

You turned to get a last look at Luhan said, sleeping soundly on the couch before getting up and running towards the door. It was still night. And nothing seemed to move at all. The only sounds you could hear were of crickets and insects and owls and who knows what other weird animals you can find in the woods at night. 

 

Despite all that, you were convinced that the howl you heard came from somewhere nearby. You allowed your feet to touch the cold snow and scanned the area cautiously, not missing a corner. 

 

Just as you thought everything was safe, a chorus of long, loud howls filled the air. It was like they were singing. Only, it sounds creepier. The howls were getting closer and closer every second. 

 

What was happening?

 

***

 

"This is ridiculous, why would Luhan trust a cold blooded vampire?" Kris thought to himself in disbelief. 

 

He too, have caught an oddly combined scent.  

 

He had heard Kai's reports and Suho's presence through their howls and he knew that if all of them attacked, the vampire would have no chance against them. And they would have Luhan back at last. 

 

But he was still confused. "Luhan, you idiot," he muttered to himself in disbelief.

 

There might be two possibilities: 

1. Since two scents have been mixed up, either Luhan was killed BY that vampire or

2. They're both in good terms

 

And if Luhan was stupid enough to team up with one of them, Kris thought, Luhan must be a TOTAL IDIOT. 

 

The wolf's sharp eyes spied something in a distance and stopped. Orange lights at 12 O'clock.

 

Without thinking, Kris sped off towards the direction of the lights. 

 

***

 

You could already smell it. Werewolf scent. Whichever werewolf was out there, it wasn't alone. Based on your calculations, there were at the least 4 different howls. 

 

You felt yourself shiver. You didn't feel yourself getting cold from the breezing winter air though. But fear. 

 

Why am I afraid?

 

You felt a sudden feeling warning you of danger and you decided to make a run for it. But what's a cottage gotta do to defend you against a pack of werewolves? It would be useless. 

 

But you had to take that chance. You had to escape. And then it hit you: maybe its Luhan they're looking for. You blamed yourself for not getting rid of him sooner. Now you'll pay the price for that, you thought. You heard Luhan mentioning about his pack and obviously, they hate vampires. You could picture them tearing you into bits and...

 

You didn't want to imagine more because you had caught up an even stronger scent. One of them was close by. If you ran now, you could at least have a little more time to escape. You decided to make a run for it. But when you turned your back, something caught you off guard: a giant brown-furred wolf with a pair of bright yellow eyes growled angrily at you, its sharp dripping fangs exposed to make it look even more terrifying to you. 

 

You took a few steps back as it came closer. You tried to keep calm when actually inside, you were panicking. You tried to turn and run but was caught up by another wolf, this one with dark black fur that made it almost invisible in the darkness. This wolf looked bigger than the others, with its huge size that's almost as large as a fully grown human. 

 

This must be an Alpha.

 

Without being aware of it, you were caught in the middle of a circle of seven werewolves, each one looking as terrifying as the other. You wouldn't have a single chance against all of them. It would be impossible. The alpha wolf of the pack approached you, growling loudly as if you were it's next meal. Its dark fur blowing in the cold winter wind. The others stood right where they were, eyes watching their alpha silently. 

 

You tried to enter the alpha's mind to access its thoughts. Sure enough, this was Luhan's pack. And they wanted him back, alive. Although they doubt he was even.

 

You took a few steps back as the wolf came closer and closer towards you, tongue thrown back to reveal its sharp, dripping fangs that shone terrifyingly under the moonlight. It circled you, sniffing your scent carefully but refusing to come too close. You could only stand there as still as a rock, afraid that just one move might set this wolf in attack mode. 

 

Without warning, the alpha threw it's head up towards the clouds in the sky and let out a long, ear piercing howl. Instantaneously, all the other wolves joined in, like music in the night. Only it meant anger and dread. 

 

You knew what was next.

 

The huge wolf raised its thin lips and growled angrily and pounced on you with a powerful force not even you could escape. You closed your eyes for impact but you felt nothing. Not a single paw or a patch of fur against your skin. 

 

Am I dead yet?

 

When you opened your eyes, the first thing you saw took you aback in shock. A warm hand held your wrist tightly and a pair of bright golden eyes stared back at you. Familiar eyes. 

 

Luhan. 

 

The eyes of the other wolves surrounded you widened, some you could tell were filled with relief and happiness that Luhan was safe and alive, but some filled with shock and disbelief of why he was defending you. And you felt the same. Why was he protecting you? You were drowning in the river of confusion.

 

The wolf made a few sounds you couldn't understand followed by Luhan's odd language responding. Wolf language. Its a language only wolves can understand. But for you, you were able to understand it by reading their minds.  

 

"Stand back," Luhan had said. His voice firm. For the first time since you met him, you never heard him sound so serious. 

 

"What on Earth are you doing? Get out of my way, she's a threat. She captured you!" The black wolf responded and let out a low, annoyed-sounding growl.

 

"I followed her here!" Luhan snapped back at his Alpha.

 

There was a moment of brief silence as the other wolves tried to find ways to believe Luhan. 

 

"Hyungies, I'm confused."

"Is he out of his freaking mind?"

 

You could tell the other wolves were confused, angry. No, probably furious. 

 

"That isn't going to change my mind about trusting her, Luhan," the alpha said and turned to you, his bright yellow eyes staring right into yours. 

 

"She saved me, Suho!" Luhan exclaimed and turned to face you. The brightness of his eyes glowing in the darkness of the night. "She's different. She's not like the others."

 

"I don't believe that," The alpha shot back. 

 

"It could just be a trick, hyung," said another voice from the circle. 

 

"Sehun, I've seen it, she only hunts animals, not humans. And she has no history of hunting werewolves. None at all," Luhan tried convincing. But it was no use. 

 

"Different or not, she's still a vampire," the alpha shot back. "And vampires are dangerous. Nothing can stop them when their thirsty for blood."

 

"One of us was just bitten by one of them and...and...he's dying," a voice said from the circle. 

 

Baekhyun. The name had suddenly jumped into your head like being striked by a lightning bolt. Was he the one they're talking about? 

 

"What?" Luhan's voice was filled with disbelief. "How-"

 

"Baekhyun was bitten the day we were ambushed," the alpha explained. This time, his voice soft...and sad.

 

Suddenly, a solution entered your mind. A solution that might make this pack of wolves trust you. 

 

"I can help.

 

Your words caught the attention of every pair of eyes and ear. Luhan turned to you in disbelief.  "Haneul, what are you doing?" He whispered. 

"Helping your pack," you replied and pushed him aside. 

 

Instantly, the sitaution turned tense. 

 

"She wants to help?"

"She's obviously manipulating us into revealing our hideout. Then she'll send her pack of bloodthirsty monsters."

"Wait, she understands our language?"

 

The wolves in the circle shot each other looks of confusion. They turned to you in disbelief. They didn't have to ask. 

 

"I can read minds," you said out loud and it was as if every wolf gasped. "And I'm not offering this to manipulate you, I'm doing this to help. I don't have a pack."

 

A lie. 

 

"How can we be sure we can even trust you?" The alpha questioned, unconvinced. 

 

Before you could stop yourself from saying it, the words had already slipped past your lips. "I would've killed Luhan."

 

"She has a point!" Someone exclaimed. 

"Kris, don't tell me you-" before the alpha could finish his sentence, a black wolf, nearly identical in size and color ran up towards us, except the wolf was blinded in one eye. You could make out a big scratch mark across his eye as if it had been there years. 

 

"Maybe its good if we trust her," the wolf said. "I mean...would you rather Baekhyun die? And plus, we have an advantage 11 to 1 if things don't turn out well. 11 IF Luhan's still on our side," the wolf turned to Luhan who quickly turned away from his gaze. 

 

The alpha lowered its head and took a step back. Every eye fell on him as they waited for his response. He growled in defeat. 

 

"You sure you can help him?" He finally asked, looking into your eyes.

 

You nodded. "The least that I can do."

 

                           →← 

 

You kicked the snow off the dark narrow path with your feet as you followed the wolves to wherever they were leading you. For safety measures, they let you walk just behind two wolves, the alpha and the other one with the blind eye who were at the front of the line while the rest of the pack walked behind you. You noticed they hadn't gotten their eyes off of you ever since the journey began. Fortunately, you had Luhan by your side. You held on to his thick fur and you heard him whisper, "Its gonna be alright."

 

Although Luhan didn't know it, this was just part of your plan to get rid of him. Or at least, find the location of their hideout, their energy sources, report back to Taeyeon without having to kill Luhan by your own hands and disappear forever.

 

This was even worse than the last plan, but what else could you do? You'd rather let the others deal with it than to live with guilt for your whole life.

 

"Tao," one of the alphas called from the front and one of the wolves behind you replied, "Yes, hyung?"

 

"Slow time for us, will you?

 

The wolf behind you growled in response and made your shoulders jump as he howled into the dark night sky. To your shock, everything around you began to slow down. The sound of insects and owls stopped. Everything around you seemed to go in slow motion. Everything except the pack and you, which walked on as if nothing happened. 

 

"A time manipulator," you whispered softly but loud enough for Luhan to hear. He lowered his head and pushed it under your arm, like a pet embracing its master. You smiled and scratched his head. You felt his warm breath against your skin, breathing calmly. You didn't notice that one of the wolves in front, the other alpha with the blind eye had seen how well you and Luhan got along. 

 

You quickly let go of Luhan's wolf and pushed your hands into the pocket of your coat. The blind eyed alpha growled and turned back to the front. You sighed and lowered your head as you journeyed deeper into the forest.