19 Argument

Werewolves and Vampires

"Want some?" Luhan offered as he held out a bowl of hot, sweet-smelling soup.

 

"No. Thanks."

"Why didn't you say anything?"

 

You looked up from where you were tracing little circles on the snow. Luhan's eyes found their way into yours. "What?" 

 

"I mean why didn't you tell me? That you had a pack?" He asked again, expression unreadable. 

 

"Well I," you paused. What were you supposed to say? Either way, he knew you'd been lying to him and the pack the whole time. But you weren't the only person in the wrong. "What about you?" you mumbled under your breath but Luhan's ears were sharp. 

 

"You hadn't told me your pack was EXO," you said and Luhan sighed. 

 

"So what if I hadn't told you? At least you know I have a pack and it doesn't consist of bloodthirsty animals like you," he enunciated the "have" and "bloodthirsty. He had never sounded so serious. 

 

You turned to him with a look of disbelief in your eyes. "Do not refer to my kind as that," you snapped, averting your eyes away from him. You hated it when people referred to you as "animals". And right then, you were offended. VERY offended. But you tried your best not to show your anger. You were too depressed to even raise your voice. 

 

"Its true isn't it?" Luhan said and as soon as he did, received a painful blow across his face. He held it with his hand, trying to ease the afflicted pain. But everyone knew Vampires were stronger than Werewolves so it was a miracle Luhan's face hadn't been torn apart by then. 

 

Wordlessly, you got on your feet and stormed away, frustrated and at the same time, your mind was blank. The others have gone out to salvage what they could find from the ruins of their cave while you and Luhan were resting on the spot of the betrayal. That is, until the assault.

 

"Why would he say that?" You said out loud and rested your hands on your hips. The sound of birds singing echoed throughout the forest like beautiful music. Trees rocked back and forth as the cold winter wind blew past. But despite the tranquility, you hadn't cooled down from your anger. 

 

Without a second thought, your hand struck the trunk of a tree mercilessly. As soon as you did, you quickly withdrew your hand, rubbing it and groaning in pain. 

 

"What is this?" Your knuckle was throbbing with excruciating pain you've never felt before. "Why. Does. This. Hurt?" You cried out loud in pain, tears threatening to flow.

 

You couldn't understand how you could feel pain. As much as you knew, vampires never feel pain. You gasped when you saw a patch of blood red liquid flowing from your hand. "Bleeding. Why am I even bleeding?!" You wiped the blood on your shirt and examined the wound. "Vampires don't feel pain. But why do I? I've never did, but why now? What is happening to me?!" You screamed the last sentence, not giving a damn if anyone heard you. You needed answers. 

 

As a test, you reached into your pocket and took out the dagger Tiffany had gave you. Slowly, you raised the palm of your right hand and cried when the blade swept across it. Fresh blood escaped on the spot and you could only stare in disbelief, speechless. You waited. 1 minute. 2. 3. Usually vampire wounds would heal up in a matter of seconds, but it wasn't happening now. You trembled helplessly. 

 

"Why-" You heard a loud thud coming from the back of your head and your vision surrendered. There was the sound of strong wind and a soft whisper rang in your ears saying the words you thought was the last thing you wanted to hear: "The last..."

 

***

 

Everything around you darkened and you found yourself in the middle of a cornfield. Everything around you was in flames and there wasn't a single living soul in sight. Confused, your legs took off and you began to run. You didn't know why you did, you just had the feeling that something wasn't right then. 

 

"You're the last ones left."

 

You kept running, not wanting to turn back. 

 

"Only you...."

 

The further you ran, the louder the voice grew. And it sounded horrible in your ears. 

"...and only him."

 

You tripped over a branch and fell flat on the ground, trembling uncontrollably. You had absolutely no idea what was going on. The burning fields. The voices. Everything didn't make sense.

 

"Our last hope..."

 

You covered your ears to block out the voices but it was no use. They seemed to work their way into your head anyway. 

 

"...our last."

 

"Leave me alone!" You screamed out loud, although you didn't know who it was you were dealing with. Whoever it was, it didn't seem friendly. 

 

"Extinction," as if obeying instructions, the voice began to fade. Little by little. But kept repeating the same sentence over and over again. Only this time, it wasn't the same voice that said it. Children, men and women. Crying. Screaming. Begging. Warning...

 

"You're the last ones left."

 

The voices hushed, and everything fell silent. The fires in the field had oddly died out and all there was left were dead stocks of wheat and ashes on the ground. The tiny cricket noises and hoots of owls filled the night sky and a full moon provided enough light for you to make your way through the cornfield. You kept your pace slow, in case anything dangerous might happen. 

 

"Anyone here?" You called out, only to be replied by silence. 

 

"Hey! Anyone!" No reply. You gave up and quickened your pace, only to freeze when you heard the footsteps of two sets of feet on the ashen ground. Then, a scream. A loud agonising scream, so loud you thought your ears would go deaf. 

 

It took you awhile to realise it, but as soon as you did, your feet struck a land mine and you were thrown in the air. You landed on the ground with a loud thud. You felt cold drops of blood dripping from your forehead but you felt too weak to move. 

 

"You're the last ones left."

"Haneul!"

"You're the last ones left."

"Haneul, are you okay? Say something!" 

 

The second voice faded but you knew it was there. 

 

"Only you..."

 

Slowly, your eyelids closed and you fell into unconsciousness. 

 

"And only him."