07 Again

Werewolves and Vampires

You both spent the entire day out running and fooling around in the snow that by the end of the day, you both were exhausted. Since it was getting darker, you thought it best to return back home. "Its getting late. I should probably be getting home," you said as you ran your fingers across the wolf's thick white fur. The wolf tilted his head as if in confusion. 

 

It was the "I" not the "we" it was wondering.

 

You had actually planned on spending the whole day out with the wolf, having fun and everything and by the end of the day, abandon it. You knew it was kind of cruel but you couldn't stand it being near you any longer. "Yes, I. I'm going to have to go back and you can't come with me anymore, alright?" You said and patted the wolf's head. The wolf growled in response and took a step back as if to say "NO."

 

"I'm sorry but I have to do this." By the wolf's reactions, you could tell that the wolf wasn't wanting to accept your decision so you decided to do the only thing you could do: RUN. 

 

So you ran. Faster and faster. Trying to lose it. You felt free, but at the same time, just guilt. What else could you do? If you were to let it stay for long, you would eventually give into your thirst and...kill it. And you didn't want that to happen. As you reached the foot of the hill, you stopped and turned back to the dark woods behind you. You sighed and lowered you head. You missed it already. You began to imagine how it might have felt, standing there, wondering why you have left even without a single "goodbye". You tried to forget about everything and start climbing up. Once you reached the hilltop, you could already see your home in the distance. So you headed straight for it. 

 

You entered your home and stares around at its loneliness and emptiness. It was empty in front of the fireplace where a wolf had once rested its head on. It reminded you so much of your guilt that you began to feel depressed. You thought about going back to find the creature but everytime you started for the door, your conscience would always remind you that it probably wasn't the greatest idea in the world. To distract yourself, you decided to take a bath. 10 minutes later, you headed downstairs, drying your wet hair with a wool towel. You slouched down on the sofa and sighed. 

 

Good job, Haneul. How cruel of you, you scolded yourself mentally.

 

Just as you closed your eyelids and was a 100% comfortable, your sharp ears heard a howl coming from somewhere outside. Not just any howl. Somehow it sounded familiar to you. You quickly sat up and listened carefully. There it was again. This time louder as if it had gotten closer. But you knew what howls meant. And one sounding like this could mean two things: Its probably dying. Or in pain. Either one, you were curious to find out.You opened the door and stepped out on the snow. You didn't even bother to shut the door to your house, you ran, trying to find the source. It didn't take very long though. Because the second you heard a whine, you knew you had made the biggest mistake of your life. 

 

"Awuuu~" 

 

You put your hands over your mouth as you gasped. 

 

It WAS the wolf. It had gotten its leg stuck under a tree trunk. Looks like a tree fell and unfortunately the wolf was passing by at the time and the tree above him. 

 

Bleeding. Oh no, no, no, no. Blood. Not now, you begged in your head, shutting your eyes. Instead of wasting time letting the wolf suffer there, you easily lifted the tree trunk off its leg. With the help of the moonlight, you were able to see that it was quite an injured leg. 

 

Bleeding. A LOT. 

 

Your throat began to inch in excruciating pain and you were tempted to have a taste of the blood. But you restrained yourself as hard as you could.You ignored your crave for blood and focused on the situation instead, although it was like 1000 times harder.

 

"You're hurt," you said softly and saw the wolf's painful expression. Judging by the looks of the injury, you felt a sudden feeling of pity. 

 

PITY. Why now? 

 

You sighed and buried your face in your hands. "I guess that means I'll have to take you in." The wolf let out a gentle howl and you gave it a look. "Again."