15 Goodbye

Werewolves and Vampires

The day started off better than you have expected. No voices. No images. No dreams. Nothing weird. Which was good, for you. You had literally spent the whole night sitting out in the snow, staring into darkness and would only move when a member of the EXO pack would come and begin a conversation with you in which would end when Suho called them in for "chores". You didn't see Luhan that night. So you assumed he probably had other things to do. 

 

Believe it or not, the pack seemed pretty friendly towards you. Like you were a new family member or something. Strangely, you felt yourself being attracted to the group. They were never what you would've expected of them. They weren't like the wild beasts in the stories people would tell of in front of bonfires. They weren't like the creatures SNSD feared of and dreaded. They're better than that. And you've seen the proof of it. 

 

"Hey," said a voice beside you. You turned and met the face of a brightened Luhan. You were sitting on a tree stamp just outside the cave and you had been watching the sunrise up till then. Some of the others went out to hunt for breakfast while others were just carried off in dreamland. It was only the two of you. You and an oddly suspicious Luhan. 

 

Instead of saying a "Hi", you got straight to the question. "You okay?" 

 

He coughed and squatted down beside you, sighing. "Always," he said with a smile. "You seem a little bored. Wanna walk?" He invited but you responded by lifting your eyebrow incredulously, like you didn't believe him. He snickered and you sighed. 

 

"Well, if it would make you feel better," you stood up and shook the snow off your clothes before realising Luhan wasn't doing the same. You turned to see him still on the ground, not moving an inch but merely staring into blank space. 

 

"I'm fine really," he said and quickly got up on his feet. "Believe me. Read my mind if you think I'm lying." 

 

You gave a half suppressed laugh and crossed your arms, your face serious. "I prefer not to."

 

"Why so?"

"Its people's privacy. I don't want to dig out their secrets UNLESS they pose a threat to me," you made sure the "unless" was clear and loud enough for Luhan to hear. 

 

"So, you don't think I'm a threat?" Luhan asked, pointing to himself in a childish way. 

 

"No, why would you be?" You replied and walked away. Luhan caught up beside you as fast as lightning and you pretended not to see him until he said something that wasn't expected of you, "Cause I was thinking you'd betray us. I mean," he paused to see your reaction and sure enough, you were shocked at his words. 

 

"Why would you think that?" You asked, keeping yourself from looking at him, despite he had his eyes on yours. Like HE could read YOUR mind or something. 

 

"Never mind," he said and turned away, quickly dismissing the subject. Though you still felt curious towards his odd behaviour. 

 

Perhaps he knew...

 

You could hear Sehun's voice calling Luhan from a distance and he smiled at you when he caught sight of you. As Luhan ran off with Sehun, you saw a waving hand from the corner of your eye and you heard your name. 

 

Before you realised, Baekhyun was beside you, never taking off a smile that was on his face probably from the moment he was born. 

 

"Going back so soon?" He asked. His voice a little hoarse. 

 

You nodded and sighed. "I have to."

 

"Could you stay longer? I mean," Baekhyun lowered his head in probably embarrassment. But you turned to him and smiled. "You don't have a pack," He continued after awhile. 

 

"Yeah, I don't. But I don't think I should stay. You know why," you replied and he let out a defeated sigh. 

 

"Thanks again, for your help. And for taking care of hyung," he said and smiled like a kid. You replied him with a simple "you're welcome" before Chanyeol and Chen joined you momentarily.

 

"Leaving already?" Chen asked, glancing at you curiously and Chanyeol said the same thing. 

 

You nodded and the two of them sighed. 

 

"Thanks," Chanyeol said. "Lots of thanks. We wouldn't have had Baekhyun here now if it weren't for you," he said and put his arm around the other's shoulder, pulling him closer and Baekhyun snickered childishly. The pair really had a "thing" going on, you suspected. Kind of...cute. 

 

"Come on, its not like its a goodbye forever. We might even meet each other by coincidence," Chen encouraged and you could only smile. The other two turned to him, giving him weird looks.

 

As for you, you thought that wouldn't be entirely true. You actually planned on migrating somewhere else after that, stay away from it all and perhaps get a normal life in some other place. Might even go to the USA or anywhere away from there. Where you wouldn't have anything to do with anything there is between the two groups of EXO and SNSD.  

 

"Baekhyun, do me a favour and tell Luhan I've gone home," you said and he nodded obediently before lifting his hand and waving at you, as if he'd never see you again. And the others did the same. 

 

You took a deep breath and the other three watched as you began the long journey home...

 

"Baek, Chen, Suho got us a caribou, come on!" 

"I see it! What're you waiting for? First one gets the stomach."

"Game on."

 

...daring not to look back for fear it would manipulate you. It's time to let go.