02 Strangers

Werewolves and Vampires

When you opened your eyes, the first thing you saw was a pair of dark golden ones staring right into yours. It took awhile for your eyes to adjust to the blurriness after your fall when finally you realized what it was that had collided into you. Scratch that, WHO is was that had collided into you. 

 

boy.

 

He didn't look too old. Maybe about 17 or 18. Blood drops slide from the top of his head red stains covered his torn and tattered clothes. Pretty cute for a guy covered in blood. Both his hands were at the side of your head, supporting his body above you and you crawled under him, trying to get away. His eyes began to water, filled with panic. You looked at him in confusion. For awhile, the both of you locked eyes. There was something about him that didn't look about right. Something about the appearance of this boy aroused suspicion in you. A LOT of suspicion. Before you could react to anything, the boy quickly rushed up on his feet. You sat up, keeping eyes on him. He seemed to be looking for something, as he was glancing all around him in panic. Then, he turned back to you. You were still staring at him as though you had just seen a ghost. The boy seemed like he wanted to say something, but he was cut when another howl sounded from afar. Then, without a word, he turned around and just like that disappeared from plain sight.

 

You sat there paralysed for a few minutes before dragging yourself up. That was odd. HE was odd. Strange. Two humans in the forest in the same day. Two stupid humans at least. But the boy. He didn't seem human. You felt a sharp burning pain in your throat like a knife was slitting it from the inside. You needed blood. And fast. You had to continue hunting again. You tried to push any thoughts of the boy away from your head and continued hunting again.

 

***

 

Hours have passed. The sun was starting to set, signifying the late evening. So far, you've managed to catch a rabbit and a mouse. You fed on the rabbit but freed the mouse since you thought it would be disgusting to feed on a dirty animal's blood. But it wasn't enough. You needed more. The rabbit's blood wasn't enough to quench all your thirst but it gave you a little energy to continue on for the next day. 

 

The sky began to slowly darken and you decided to get home. You usually liked being out in the dark but tonight, you didn't feel like it. After the howling you heard that morning, and the mysterious looking boy who bumped into you, you felt like it wouldn't be such a good idea to stay out tonight. For your own safety. Your house being miles away, you used your superspeed to run as fast as you can, turning almost invisible due to your extremely fast speed. After the day you've had, you decided to have a little fun on the way home. So you ran even faster, knocking down trees and breaking ice as you ran. 

 

Suddenly, images of the boy earlier popped into your head. You tried shaking your head but the images kept on coming. His golden eyes. His bloody clothes. The look of panic on his face when he had collided into you. The reaction of fear when he heard the howl. Your vision was nearly completely covered when you lost focus and tripped over a giant branch on the path. You hit the ground hard. Your head coming in contact against the edge of a boulder. You panted and pulled yourself up. You rubbed the back of your head and turned to the rock you had hit, then back at your hand. No blood. You're in luck. Vampires don't bleed. And they don't feel pain, unless its coming from their necks. Thats the only thing that hurts them. And fire that destroys them. 

 

Snap out of it. Concentrate. Concentrate. Its just a boy. Nothing more than that. It was just a human, no one else. But for some reason, you couldn't ignore it. The thing about that boy was off. Very off. You stood up and dusted your clothes for about the hundredth time that day. Without thinking more, you ran. Faster and faster every second. This time, no more images interrupted you, to your relief. 

 

But something else did. 

 

This time you felt like you were being followed. You heard loud footsteps running behind you but when you turned around, there was nothing in sight. So you thought it was just your imagination imagining crazy things since you felt exhausted from hunting.

 

When you reached a frozen river, the bridge to cross was in a wreck, broken. Its parts scattered on the face on the river. It was in perfect condition when you last saw it that morning and there it was now, broken into pieces as if a tornado had swept by. But you couldn't turn around and use another way. There was no other. To get back home, this would be the only passage. You had no other choice. You had never done it before and you never did wanted to. If you wanted to get home, you had to do it. You stepped your first foot on the frozen ice. Then, your second foot. Your body trembled as you started to walk across. You kept your eyes down on ice beneath your feet the entire time. You even got yourself prepared to run in case the ice would suddenly cracked. 

 

And it did. The worse part of it, without even a warning.

 

Just as you reached the center of the river, the ice started to crack from where your foot was resting, leading to the cracking of the ice to your left and to your right. 

 

You wanted to run but the ice was too slippery that you tripped and fell. You watched as the crack started getting closer and closer to you. In a few seconds, if you didn't move, you'll fall into the freezing water and probably won't come back up again since you can't swim, unlike most vampires. You wouldn't be able to drown since vampires don't breath but you'll be stuck down there until who knows when. You panicked. But tried to keep yourself calm. You tried standing up but fell back down again. It was impossible. You couldn't get out of there. The ice under you cracked and you plunged into the cold waters beneath. 

 

You felt a warm hand grab onto yours. You felt yourself being dragged out. You felt someone carry you to the shore. But you never knew who it was.